Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

About Damerious Randall the Safety....

I don't mean to beat a dead horse,  but this is too funny not to share....

Packers GM Ted Thompson in his press conference about his 1st round pick....

"We'll probably line him up at corner,  but he's very versatile...."

Here's the tape.    It's the very first question and answer at the :30 mark....

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Thompson_Hes_got_a_knack_for_catching_the_ball/996be837-9b5a-4176-8b4d-56049fe2543c

I don't mean to beat a dead horse,  but this is too funny not to share....

Packers GM Ted Thompson in his press conference about his 1st round pick....

"We'll probably line him up at corner,  but he's very versatile...."

Here's the tape.    It's the very first question and answer at the :30 mark....

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Thompson_Hes_got_a_knack_for_catching_the_ball/996be837-9b5a-4176-8b4d-56049fe2543c

That just doesn't make any sense they wanted a corner then idk why they didn't go for Jones, Darby, or Collins. They chose a safety instead that doesn't have many traits to translate to a 1st round corner. Talk about a foolish pick IMO.

That just doesn't make any sense they wanted a corner then idk why they didn't go for Jones, Darby, or Collins. They chose a safety instead that doesn't have many traits to translate to a 1st round corner. Talk about a foolish pick IMO.

He's athletic,  he's got speed and quicks...   he plays the pass really well....

And he can likely tackle better than most corner's....

Green Bay is a pretty savvy and smart franchise....

I had heard this possible rumor about Randall in the weeks leading up to the draft....   I just needed to wait to see what Green Bay would announce....

He's athletic,  he's got speed and quicks...   he plays the pass really well....

And he can likely tackle better than most corner's....

Green Bay is a pretty savvy and smart franchise....

I had heard this possible rumor about Randall in the weeks leading up to the draft....   I just needed to wait to see what Green Bay would announce....

I agree he is very athletic and has speed and quicks and he does have ball skills. He still is a below average tackler but you are right probably better than most corners. Generally I agree Green Bay is a smart franchise but they have been slipping up a bit in the drafts recently. I guess I would rather of taken one of the corners off the board than Randall if they wanted a corner. IMO Jones would of been an awesome fit for their scheme.

That pick sort of puzzled me personally. I mean they have two pretty good safeties in Clinton Dix and Burnett, and they have some pretty glaring holes on defense. The most obvious to me is ILB. I mean who are their starting ILB's? They lost Hawk and didn't replace him. I'd say Jake Ryan may be one. I think he's gonna be solid. They seemed to like Barrington last year too.

That pick sort of puzzled me personally. I mean they have two pretty good safeties in Clinton Dix and Burnett, and they have some pretty glaring holes on defense. The most obvious to me is ILB. I mean who are their starting ILB's? They lost Hawk and didn't replace him. I'd say Jake Ryan may be one. I think he's gonna be solid. They seemed to like Barrington last year too.

One of the best drafters in the league, and he didn't use his first rounder on the position of greatest need... Didn't draft an ILB prospect until the end of the 4th round. His most famous first round pick is drafting a QB who sat on the bench his first three years.

This is not directed at you, but I think if people would stop focusing on perceived need so much when grading a draft, they'd see things differently. If you look back at teams that have drafted well for a long time, you'll see that they sometimes draft players that aren't immediate needs in the first round. 

Randle was who I thought the Colts were going to pick. 

Gotta love when the guy you want your team to pick is there, they don't pick him, and then he is picked the VERY NEXT pick.

Since then, I am 100% on board with the Dorsett pick.  Lots of people speculating it means we won't resign TY but I think it spells more trouble for Carter and Moncrief.  Maybe the Colts don't view them as the future like most Colts fans have been saying...

Randle was who I thought the Colts were going to pick. 

Gotta love when the guy you want your team to pick is there, they don't pick him, and then he is picked the VERY NEXT pick.

Since then, I am 100% on board with the Dorsett pick.  Lots of people speculating it means we won't resign TY but I think it spells more trouble for Carter and Moncrief.  Maybe the Colts don't view them as the future like most Colts fans have been saying...

I think it will be the Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett show for a while. Andre Johnson probably has 2 years left in him, we needed to draft a WR now to be up to pace when AJ is gone. I think we made the right decision.

One of the best drafters in the league, and he didn't use his first rounder on the position of greatest need... Didn't draft an ILB prospect until the end of the 4th round. His most famous first round pick is drafting a QB who sat on the bench his first three years.

This is not directed at you, but I think if people would stop focusing on perceived need so much when grading a draft, they'd see things differently. If you look back at teams that have drafted well for a long time, you'll see that they sometimes draft players that aren't immediate needs in the first round. 

Looked up a few talking head "team needs" and they all had D Line listed as a bigger need for GB than DB. So I guess there were at least two teams didn't view Malcom Brown as the "steal of the draft." 

Looked up a few talking head "team needs" and they all had D Line listed as a bigger need for GB than DB. So I guess there were at least two teams didn't view Malcom Brown as the "steal of the draft." 

At least. I can't imagine the Saints not feeling like they could use a DL, also.

NFL Network played a special on the 2005 draft last night. Of course, it talked about how Rodgers dropped to #24. When you look at the teams that passed on him -- Dolphins, Lions, Browns, etc., a bunch of teams that have suffered through terrible QBing for a long time -- and realize that a lot of the rationale for passing on him was "we don't need a QB, and we're already paying a vet and can't afford a first round QB contract," it really highlights the folly of need-based drafting, especially in the first round. Even more so, now with the rookie wage scale. The Packers dealt with it while paying Favre.

Interestingly, the Bucs took Cadillac Williams at #5 that year, and Gruden was just arguing with Mel Kiper about the value of taking a RB in the first round. He used Williams as an example of how a back can help you win games, since he had a pretty good rookie year and they made the playoffs. Of course, his QBs were Chris Simms and Brian Griese. Gruden lasted four years after that pick, but long term, the Bucs would have been much better off taking the QB, even if he didn't play in Year 1.

At least. I can't imagine the Saints not feeling like they could use a DL, also.

NFL Network played a special on the 2005 draft last night. Of course, it talked about how Rodgers dropped to #24. When you look at the teams that passed on him -- Dolphins, Lions, Browns, etc., a bunch of teams that have suffered through terrible QBing for a long time -- and realize that a lot of the rationale for passing on him was "we don't need a QB, and we're already paying a vet and can't afford a first round QB contract," it really highlights the folly of need-based drafting, especially in the first round. Even more so, now with the rookie wage scale. The Packers dealt with it while paying Favre.

Interestingly, the Bucs took Cadillac Williams at #5 that year, and Gruden was just arguing with Mel Kiper about the value of taking a RB in the first round. He used Williams as an example of how a back can help you win games, since he had a pretty good rookie year and they made the playoffs. Of course, his QBs were Chris Simms and Brian Griese. Gruden lasted four years after that pick, but long term, the Bucs would have been much better off taking the QB, even if he didn't play in Year 1.

Yeah.. I saw that show. Amazing how a guy could get squeezed out of pick 1.1 and fall that far.

Don't forget too that the Patriots were going to trade the pick to the Texans so they could draft Dorsett.

Don't forget too that the Patriots were going to trade the pick to the Texans so they could draft Dorsett.

This is true and I think I addressed it earlier and refrained from beating the thing to death.