Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Gurus I have a question.

If a team signs La'El Collins as an UDFA, could they then cut him and re-sign him to a large (1st round pick) contract (assuming he clears waivers)?

I know UDFA contracts are capped, but would that technically be his second contract, or does he need morr accrued seasons? 

If a team signs La'El Collins as an UDFA, could they then cut him and re-sign him to a large (1st round pick) contract (assuming he clears waivers)?

I know UDFA contracts are capped, but would that technically be his second contract, or does he need morr accrued seasons? 

I'm truely Mr Clueless, so I obvouisly can't answer your question, but I have another: Can a team just not strike a new deal with a player without having to go through the waivers thingy and risk that some other team pick him up?

If I recall I think there is a limit to how much he can make until he accrues at least two seasons. I know there is a rule saying that you can't extend an udfa until two years have been accrued, and I would assume there is some rule in place to stop teams from cutting and resigning a player not eligible for extension.