Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Only 5 Can't Miss Players for 2015 Draft

I thought I would let everyone take a look at this article, because it shows the difference between what many people on this board, especially one, think of a certain player, and the polar opposite view of what the majority of NFL scouts and talent evaluators think of Shane Ray. Especially now since there is a good chance he could be there at #29 due to his arrest today, toe injury, and less than stellar pro day.

Jason LaCanfora wrote an article for CBS Sportsline today, listing what he views as the only five players in the draft as "can't miss" prospects. I know many here do not like him and his evaluation knowledge, but he does have the credentials to assess talent. I do not want to argue about LaCanfora though, this is not what this is about.

I take umbridge at the term "can't miss", because I don't know how many times I have heard someone is the safest pick in the draft, only to be out of the league in 3-4 years. Regardless, I opened it up, and I thought about the players he may list. Leonard Williams, check. Dante Fowler, check. Amari Cooper, check. Then Kevin White, who I can't put a check on because he only had one year at W.Virginia where he stood out, and his first year he was not high on anyone's radar. He has all the athletic traits you want, but "can't miss"?

The the last name, although they did not appear in this order, guess who? Shane Ray. I was stunned to tell you the truth. I can see Kevin White on the list, but Shane Ray as one of his five "can't miss" players according to LaCanfora. You can talk all day about what you think about him as a writer, talent evaluator, but you cannot deny how many people really like Ray a lot. I was listening to NFL Nation mock draft tonight on ESPN, and McShay thinks he will be one of the best out of this draft, and a 12 sack a year guy going forward. He loves the guy. You all know what Polian thinks. I find it fascinating that Dustin, and others on this board feel so polar opposite. At the end of the day, I defer to the scouts. I must admit though, if he is at #29, it will be interesting because if we select him, our forum will lead an open revolt, but the media, scouts and talent evaluators will say what a great steal we got, and how we killed it. Can't wait until Thursday to see what happens! Link to the story below:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25164871/there-are-only-five-cant-miss-players-in-the-2015-nfl-draft

who is this one your pointing at because i don't much care for Ray and it's because i've done my research watched his games and didn't like what i saw it's fine to have an opinion different from the scouts, other posters etc. at the end of the day who gives a care what i think just stating my opinion just as i thought it was odd that polian compared him to mathis then people jump all on my back about it and just like i have an opinion that we should bring back bob sanders i may have a screw loose but again just my opinion

While there are teams and GM's that will hold fast to their standards and beliefs, but just as many that won't.  Ray will be BPA on a teams list that never expected him, and they will pull the trigger.  But if he does somehow fall to #29, that won't happen until at least pick number 30.

Scouts get paid to do a job. Fans offer their time for free to discuss ideas.

Scouts have to get it right or their families do not eat. Fans can forget they ever liked a player, and so will everyone else.

Scouts must have a trained eye, understand the scout language, and have the creativity to offer a unique perspective. Fans are wannabes.

Scouts put in the hard work to gain the needed skills. Fans work hard eating Frito's.

Scouts don't have time to post on this board.

Scouts get paid to do a job. Fans offer their time for free to discuss ideas.

Scouts have to get it right or their families do not eat. Fans can forget they ever liked a player, and so will everyone else.

Scouts must have a trained eye, understand the scout language, and have the creativity to offer a unique perspective. Fans are wannabes.

Scouts put in the hard work to gain the needed skills. Fans work hard eating Frito's.

Scouts don't have time to post on this board.

Exactly. This is why Ray won't go high in the draft.