Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Final Top 64 Players

No question he is a great talent but the best player in the draft based off what...That's what I mean, How can you put his talent above for example Leonard Williams or Amari Cooper or Vic Beasley

NFL types do it every day.    Decisions have to be made.

That's how jobs are kept or lost..........

Somebody's right, and somebody's wrong.

To me I think the fact that Gurley is a running has to come into play

I understand that and agree to a certain point.    It's my understanding that Gurley sustained one injury each year at Georgia that forced him to miss some time. 

That's why I think despite the fact that he might be the best pure talent in this draft,  Gurley can NOT be ranked as the best player.   A long injury history on top of his position makes that so.    But Dustin's world is different from everyone else...   What can I tell you....

I love Gurley.     Serious man-crush.    But his history forced me to put him 10th on my board.

(Comes out tomorrow!)

That said,  I think there's a decent chance (50/50) he goes higher than that....

I understand that and agree to a certain point.    It's my understanding that Gurley sustained one injury each year at Georgia that forced him to miss some time. 

That's why I think despite the fact that he might be the best pure talent in this draft,  Gurley can NOT be ranked as the best player.   A long injury history on top of his position makes that so.    But Dustin's world is different from everyone else...   What can I tell you....

I love Gurley.     Serious man-crush.    But his history forced me to put him 10th on my board.

(Comes out tomorrow!)

That said,  I think there's a decent chance (50/50) he goes higher than that....

Im debating doing a big board but it takes ALOT of time...Not sure I want to spend the time it would take to do it

To me I think the fact that Gurley is a running has to come into play

You're talking about positional value, which I obviously think is super important. But that's different than ranking players. 

If I were doing a fantasy-style draft and building a team, JJ Watt wouldn't be top 5. But if we're doing a simple list of the absolute best players in the league, JJ Watt might be top 3. To me, that's the difference between a mock draft and a top 64 (or however many). You can talk about who the best player is without really talking about positional value. 

Im debating doing a big board but it takes ALOT of time...Not sure I want to spend the time it would take to do it

I hear you.....  and understand completely....

As I did last year,  I do four of them.   One for each of the first four rounds....

Takes lots and lots and lots and lots of time...    (but it's fun!)

Do you do one of these every year? I really have no comment one way or the other as I don't watch videos of individual college players. Seems like a ton of time and effort. The reason I ask if you do one every year is so can you compare say your 2011 class vs the draft gurus and also vs where they were picked and how they have performed. Either way, nice job

Sorry I didn't respond to this, I didn't see it until now. I did my first one last season: http://forums.colts.com/topic/37745-dustins-final-top-64-players/

It turned out "Ok" .

Definitely a few misses (or at least misses at this point) in Hageman, Easley, Matthews (but to be fair, everyone had him rated highly). Big whiff on Anthony Barr. 

Some positives as well: I was one of the few people who didn't have Bortles or Gilbert rated highly. I had Bridgewater as by far the best QB available. I was also one of the few people here who had Jimmie Ward as a first round pick. Didn't have Dennard high like everyone else, Eric Ebron either. Verrett was probably the best corner in his rookie season, but he got injured and I had him as the #1 corner. 

But I watched a lot more film this year, so I expect this one will probably turn out better. Taking a big risk with Grady Jarrett (a likely 3rd round pick) as my #1 DT. 

Sorry I didn't respond to this, I didn't see it until now. I did my first one last season: http://forums.colts.com/topic/37745-dustins-final-top-64-players/

It turned out "Ok" .

Definitely a few misses (or at least misses at this point) in Hageman, Easley, Matthews (but to be fair, everyone had him rated highly). Big whiff on Anthony Barr.

Some positives as well: I was one of the few people who didn't have Bortles or Gilbert rated highly. I had Bridgewater as by far the best QB available. I was also one of the few people here who had Jimmie Ward as a first round pick. Didn't have Dennard high like everyone else, Eric Ebron either. Verrett was probably the best corner in his rookie season, but he got injured and I had him as the #1 corner.

But I watched a lot more film this year, so I expect this one will probably turn out better. Taking a big risk with Grady Jarrett (a likely 3rd round pick) as my #1 DT.

Did you mean to post a link to your 2014 top 64 players? I am being redirected to this thread.

You sound disappointed with Anthony Barr. He played very well for the Vikes before his injury. We expect good things from him. Now, you had Scott Crichton rated fairly high (~30) but he did not contribute at all. But you were one of the only people besides me who thought Bridgewater would be the best QB of the bunch. Many people still like Carr better.

Did you mean to post a link to your 2014 top 64 players? I am being redirected to this thread.

You sound disappointed with Anthony Barr. He played very well for the Vikes before his injury. We expect good things from him. Now, you had Scott Crichton rated fairly high (~30) but he did not contribute at all. But you were one of the only people besides me who thought Bridgewater would be the best QB of the bunch. Many people still like Carr better.

Sorry, I thought I posted the 2014 link: http://forums.colts.com/topic/28271-dustins-top-64-big-board/

As for Barr, it's the opposite, I had him ranked low and he had a great season.