Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've got a new favorite S prospect

Ibrahiem Campbell, SS, Northwestern 5'11 208

This kid can PLAY. A physical rock who is considered a huge leader and great character guy. You watch him and he's involved on every play. Get to the carrier and disrupts. A great tackler, and a large hitter. He's got some coverage skill too (enough to cover TE's and RB's). But his real forte is diagnosing plays and getting to the carrier. He is a tremendous tackler, and also is very aggressive. He goes for strips, and he is a turnover machine (4 INTS, 3 FF in 8 Games). He'd be a tremendous SS in our system and would be a great pairing with Mike Adams. He needs some time to work on his technique as a high safety in coverage but he could come in now and be a stout run defender. One of my favorite prospects now. Watch his Cal tape if you want to see a tremendous game. You could also watch his Michigan tape. He is considered a mid 4th round pick, so we'd probably have to pick him at 93, but it would be completly worth it, a tremendous kid and player. 

Its been said before but, I'd like to see the colts come away with a SS and a FS in this year's draft. Potential starters would be great but, I'll take a depth guy as well. I know I can't have it all come draft day... 

I'm hoping for 2 too, but I'm not that sold on Campbell. I'd like to see Byron Jones and Tartt in the 2nd and 3rd. That would be a dream.

I feel like Tartt is being overrated like Bacarri Rambo last year. Seems like everybody mentions him but I don't see anything special.

I think Adrian Amos might be the best Safety value in the draft.  He should probably be there for our 4th Round pick.  But I think that Eric Rowe or Damarious Randall would be the best Safeties available to us in the draft, hopefully sitting there for us at our 2nd Round pick.  Not sure I'd take them, as I like the potential 3rd Round crowd of Derron Smith, Josh Shaw, and Ibraheim Campbell.  Once I got into it, I realized that this isn't as poor a Safety class as originally billed...

I think Adrian Amos might be the best Safety value in the draft.  He should probably be there for our 4th Round pick.  But I think that Eric Rowe or Damarious Randall would be the best Safeties available to us in the draft, hopefully sitting there for us at our 2nd Round pick.  Not sure I'd take them, as I like the potential 3rd Round crowd of Derron Smith, Josh Shaw, and Ibraheim Campbell.  Once I got into it, I realized that this isn't as poor a Safety class as originally billed...

There are a lot of prospects, but some of the best ones played corner in college.

The way the college game has changed, there's a lot more off man and zone coverage, to the point that even corners don't really backpedal that much anymore. Most safeties don't have to play any man coverage. They either fly toward the line of scrimmage, or play over the top. Lateral agility, flexible hips, change of direction, etc., aren't that critical to play safety in the college game, which is mostly spread out with quick passing, or lots of running. The guys who can cover and are good athletes play corner. The slower, stiff guys play safety, and translating their skills to the faster, more complex pro game is gonna be difficult.

It's kind of the same issue with QB prospects. They aren't being developed for the pro game. If the QBing is mostly one-read, how much simpler is the safety play? 

I think the strategy should be to convert these bigger and more physical corners to safety. Rowe and Shaw are perfect examples, and great candidates. They're plus cover men at safety. Thing is, the big corner is en vogue right now. I think some of these guys think they'll stand out more as big corners than they will as good coverage safeties. IMO, that's backward. Eric Rowe is probably a better safety prospect than Landon Collins, and he played safety his first three years in college. 

That's a horrible write up of him. To get a good feel of him you should watch his tapes for yourself.

But I'm not as good at assessing a player as professional NFL scouts.  and one of those said -

"When you first start watching him, you think he can play high or down (in the box), but he just gives up too many plays over the top to trust him on top." -- NFC North scout

Which sort of backs up the writeup about the kids lack of diagnosing the PA fake and his losing his coverage at times resulting in the big play.  I can watch tape and be wrong on my take. No biggie.  They have to be right way more often than not.  Their correctness level may affect if they can put food on the table.

I am also sold on this guy as well in the later rounds of the draft. He is a very good run defender where he takes nice angles and he is not afraid of contact like some safeties in the class. He also has enough range to cover most TEs and RBs adequately at the next level. He is kind of like Geathers from UCF in that either way with a late round pick they have potential to start, but at the very least they could become special teams stars.

I think Adrian Amos might be the best Safety value in the draft. He should probably be there for our 4th Round pick. But I think that Eric Rowe or Damarious Randall would be the best Safeties available to us in the draft, hopefully sitting there for us at our 2nd Round pick. Not sure I'd take them, as I like the potential 3rd Round crowd of Derron Smith, Josh Shaw, and Ibraheim Campbell. Once I got into it, I realized that this isn't as poor a Safety class as originally billed...

Amos is very average. No one standout trait. I'd like Campbell and Tartt though

If Tartt is gone by the time we pick in our 2nd round, i think Campbell in the 5th or 6th and Geathers in 4th round will help give us depth and starting potential for future seasons once Adams and Lowery move on from football or other teams