Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Bradford traded to Philadelphia for Nick Foles

12isthenew18

Chip Kelly is not done trading yet... LOOK OUT!

Capture_zps6a8c292l.png

I wouldn't start getting alarmed until Chip brings in new Oregon recruits for stadium grounds & custodial positions. Just Kidding! 

Yes, SW1 knows that Kelly is only in charge of football operations. I'm just saying that true dictatorships only happen when every avenue of operation gets molded down to the smallest detail. 

Chip owns this fiasco now & he stepped out on this wide ranging trade limb all on his own. 

If you consider Mariota as the ultimate goal, then this trade does make sense. The Eagles move up to 10th and increase their odds at a draft trade up for Mariota. They can tie Bradford in with some kind of package deal, or if it doesn't work out, they salvage whatever Bradford has left in the tank. Mark Sanchez can be a potential starter as Bradford blossoms. Either way, the Eagles now have two former 1st round QB's, and a head coach who has the experience to potentially get them over their slump.

If you consider Mariota as the ultimate goal, then this trade does make sense. The Eagles move up to 10th and increase their odds at a draft trade up for Mariota. They can tie Bradford in with some kind of package deal, or if it doesn't work out, they salvage whatever Bradford has left in the tank. Mark Sanchez can be a potential starter as Bradford blossoms. Either way, the Eagles now have two former 1st round QB's, and a head coach who has the experience to potentially get them over their slump.

On no team should Sanchez start over Bradford.

They do not move up to 10th, they surrender their 4th rounder, next years 2nd rounder, and Foles for Bradford, this years 5th rounder, and a conditional pick next year. This deal weakened their position for trading up to Mariota. Bradford is the guy in Philly.

If you consider Mariota as the ultimate goal, then this trade does make sense. The Eagles move up to 10th and increase their odds at a draft trade up for Mariota.

^^That makes sense but apparently they did not trade up to the 10th pick.

As per ProFootballTalk:

"The Eagles have announced the deal, which consists of Bradford for Nick Foles plus three draft picks. The Eagles get from St. Louis a 2015 fifth-round pick, and the Rams get from Philadelphia a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick.

Many wondered whether the acquisition of Bradford would be a stepping stone toward a move to get in position to draft quarterback Marcus Mariota. The decision to give up a second-round pick in 2016 along with a fourth-round pick in 2015 for Bradford and a fifth-round draft pick arguably cuts against that theory."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/eagles-give-up-2016-second-rounder-for-bradford-too/

I would counter that motive with 1 simple question though: Is Chip trying to win football games or just accumulate QBs? 

"Mark Sanchez can be a potential starter as Bradford blossoms." I like you RMDY, but nobody honestly believes that Mr. Butt Fumble is a viable QB starter. Not even you.  haha

Also, no GM worth their salt is gonna pickup Bradshaw's contract in a package trade because of what he is owed & his injury woes.

There's a reason Jeff Fisher unloaded Sam. More time on the sidelines holding a clip board than throwing a football & why would the Eagles owner give a HC this much control with only 1 playoff run? 

The giving up of draft picks pretty much kills the idea of acquiring Bradford to move up to get Mariota, I think.  This deal now just seems crazy.  The cap hit is no real big deal since I don't think Chip was going to spend it elsewhere anyway, but getting Bradford for Foles just seems like a wash.

I hope they keep Sanchez cause Bradford will not play an entire year. 

Good point Bogie. Sam will mess up his shoulder again or something; It's only a matter of time. I say week 6. I'm not rooting for his failure, but Bradford is the new NFL "Mr. Glass" with bad luck & brittle bones. 

It is what it is. 

The trade makes no sense for the Eagles.

I probably can't get it to to make any sense, but I can shed some light on the scenario.  Bradford ran a spread at Oklahoma, and came to like it and became good at it (that's why he was #1 pick in his draft). Kelly will run a similar scheme, so Bradford will be going to a system similar to what he was really good at.  My  understanding is Foles and Bradford are in final year of their rookie contracts, and the Eagels do have to pay Bradford his $12 985,000.00 salary, and there is no additional cap hit beyond that for either team ($0 for Rams, 12.985 mil for Eagles.)  The Rams pay Foles his $1,362,00.00 salary.  Both QB's are free agents at the end of the year.  Both coming off injury (but Bradford a multi year ACL injury)

It is worth pointing out Foles passing numbers fell off dramatically in 2014, before his injury, compared to his 2013 campaign.  Bradford's numbers, when healthy, have always been decent, even if the scheme wasn't a best fit.  Shurmur was Bradford OC in his rookie year, and Shurmur is the current Eagles OC.  So Shurmur knows what he is getting and how to take advantage of it. Sam was Offensive Rookie of the Year after throwing for 3,512 yards with 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions under Shurmur in 2010. And now Bradford has some experience (of all kinds!) under his belt. 

Bradford does possess many traits that Chip Kelly's offense requires (except running). So it might work, it's a one year trial. However, there might be more.  Cleveland (as well as other teams reportedly) were interested in trading for Bradford.  So don't rule out  something between the Eagles or another team that then places the Eagles in position to get Mariota as well. It's not confirmed, but other reported teams (at least slightly) interested in Bradford were the Bills, Bucs, Jets, and Texans.

Let's see where Chip Kelly drives this bus of his before we all commit him to the insane asylum.

P,S.  Sanchez had some of his best games and many good ones under Kelly last year.  Started 8 games and had 4 with a 100 (+ or- a couple points) QB rating, and 5 games at or over 300 yards passing.  First time his completion % was over 60% for whole season.  Kelly makes QB's better.  Except Foles, he was regressing.

Just talked to a buddy of mine, he's a long time eagles fan, with season tickets for the better part of 2 decades. He's actually cancelled his season tickets, says the team is a disaster in Chips hands Now.

To make matters worse, his wife had gotten him home and away jerseys of Nick Foles for his birthday just 3 weeks ago tomorrow...

I probably can't get it to to make any sense, but I can shed some light on the scenario. Bradford ran a spread at Oklahoma, and came to like it and became good at it (that's why he was #1 pick in his draft). Kelly will run a similar scheme, so Bradford will be going to a system similar to what he was really good at. My understanding is Foles and Bradford are in final year of their rookie contracts, and the Eagels do have to pay Bradford his $12 985,000.00 salary, and there is no additional cap hit beyond that for either team ($0 for Rams, 12.985 mil for Eagles.) The Rams pay Foles his $1,362,00.00 salary. Both QB's are free agents at the end of the year. Both coming off injury (but Bradford a multi year ACL injury)

It is worth pointing out Foles passing numbers fell off dramatically in 2014, before his injury, compared to his 2013 campaign. Bradford's numbers, when healthy, have always been decent, even if the scheme wasn't a best fit. Shurmur was Bradford OC in his rookie year, and Shurmur is the current Eagles OC. So Shurmur knows what he is getting and how to take advantage of it. Sam was Offensive Rookie of the Year after throwing for 3,512 yards with 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions under Shurmur in 2010. And now Bradford has some experience (of all kinds!) under his belt.

Bradford does possess many traits that Chip Kelly's offense requires (except running). So it might work, it's a one year trial. However, there might be more. Cleveland (as well as other teams reportedly) were interested in trading for Bradford. So don't rule out something between the Eagles or another team that then places the Eagles in position to get Mariota as well. It's not confirmed, but other reported teams (at least slightly) interested in Bradford were the Bills, Bucs, Jets, and Texans.

Let's see where Chip Kelly drives this bus of his before we all commit him to the insane asylum.

P,S. Sanchez had some of his best games and many good ones under Kelly last year. Started 8 games and had 4 with a 100 (+ or- a couple points) QB rating, and 5 games at or over 300 yards passing. First time his completion % was over 60% for whole season. Kelly makes QB's better. Except Foles, he was regressing.

Thank you for that. I still don't understand why Kelly gave the extra draft choices. It seems that the Rams could not wait to rid themselves of that contract. Foles straight up for BradFord would make sense. Giving up the 2nd round draft pick next year in addition to Foles and the pick this year is puzzling.

200_s.gif

haha Admiral Ackbar to the rescue. Cue the famous John Williams score..."How could they [The Emperor & the Death Star] be jamming us if they don't know we are coming?...All craft pull up!" --Lando Calrissian

https://youtu.be/ZcOkkjNiQyI

So, Chip Kelly is using Bradford as trade bait to move up the draft board & acquire Marcus Mariota then? So, it's stage 1 of his plan to either make the Eagles sour or get fired within 2 years. 

Who knew the draft was more compelling then a soap opera man. Deception, backstabing, & moving chess pieces...The plot thickens...Tick, tock, tick baby...

I think Kelly is banking on his system to aid Bradford.  Quarterback doesn't get hit much due to all the quick passing and short dump offs.  If you can keep Sam clean you've got a good qb on your hands.

True krunk. Sam's got an elite skill set no question, but I can't picture him scrabbling without getting sacked or hurt again. If SW1 is wrong here, I promise to eat crow & take my lumps. 

Chip did prove me wrong with his high tempo offense & special diet for his players so I'm open to being proven wrong again. It wouldn't surprise me actually. 

Anytime an organization puts in language about if a QB is not getting x amount of reps in his 2nd year etc. etc. that says to me that Chip doesn't see Sam as the Eagles longterm answer IMO. 

Usually, swaps for QBs are just swaps with hardly any conditional specifications on them especially when the position itself is identical; QB for QB. 

True krunk. Sam's got an elite skill set no question, but I can't picture him scrabbling without getting sacked or hurt again. If SW1 is wrong here, I promise to eat crow & take my lumps. 

Chip did prove me wrong with his high tempo offense & special diet for his players so I'm open to being proven wrong again. It wouldn't surprise me actually. 

Anytime an organization puts in language about if a QB is not getting x amount of reps in his 2nd year etc. etc. that says to me that Chip doesn't see Sam as the Eagles longterm answer IMO. 

Usually, swaps for QBs are just swaps with hardly any conditional specifications on them especially when the position itself is identical; QB for QB. 

I think he'll scramble about as much as Sanchez did.  Not much

Thank you for that. I still don't understand why Kelly gave the extra draft choices. It seems that the Rams could not wait to rid themselves of that contract. Foles straight up for BradFord would make sense. Giving up the 2nd round draft pick next year in addition to Foles and the pick this year is puzzling.

Well, Kelly wasn't supposed to speak tonight, but he did.  Here it is straight from him-  (I was pretty much spot on)

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/10930/chip-kelly-helps-self-with-public-talk?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

He does have a plan...  let's see if he can make it work in Philly like he did in Oregon.

Well, Kelly wasn't supposed to speak tonight, but he did. Here it is straight from him- (I was pretty much spot on)

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/10930/chip-kelly-helps-self-with-public-talk?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

He does have a plan... let's see if he can make it work in Philly like he did in Oregon.

I still fail to understand why Kelly gave up a 2016 2nd round pick in addition to Foles and a low round pick this year for an oft-injured QB with a huge salary and who may have been cut in a few days. Also, given his injury history, Bradford may not last in a spread offense in the NFL.

Another person's opinion (from NFL.com):

"But does anyone really believe the fragile Bradford is the answer to all the Eagles' quarterback concerns? Yes, Bradford has experience running a spread offense, but the idea that because Bradford ran the spread at Oklahoma means he magically will be able to run Chip Kelly's spread is ludicrous. OU's spread and Kelly's spread are not the same; saying all spread offenses are the same is like saying all pro-style attacks are the same...

Get this: Bradford ran the ball 77 times at OU in his career. He's not a runner; heck, you do not want him to run, especially now that he has had back-to-back seasons ruined by ACL injuries. Kelly's ideal version of a spread quarterback is a guy who can handle the read option. That's not Bradford."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477873/article/sam-bradford-deal-doesnt-take-marcus-mariota-off-eagles-radar

I still fail to understand why Kelly gave up a 2016 2nd round pick in addition to Foles and a low round pick this year for an oft-injured QB with a huge salary and who may have been cut in a few days. Also, given his injury history, Bradford may not last in a spread offense in the NFL.

Another person's opinion (from NFL.com):

"But does anyone really believe the fragile Bradford is the answer to all the Eagles' quarterback concerns? Yes, Bradford has experience running a spread offense, but the idea that because Bradford ran the spread at Oklahoma means he magically will be able to run Chip Kelly's spread is ludicrous. OU's spread and Kelly's spread are not the same; saying all spread offenses are the same is like saying all pro-style attacks are the same...

Get this: Bradford ran the ball 77 times at OU in his career. He's not a runner; heck, you do not want him to run, especially now that he has had back-to-back seasons ruined by ACL injuries. Kelly's ideal version of a spread quarterback is a guy who can handle the read option. That's not Bradford."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477873/article/sam-bradford-deal-doesnt-take-marcus-mariota-off-eagles-radar

Kelly disagrees with that guy-  "Bradford’s college experience in a spread offense convinced Kelly he could thrive in the Eagles’ offense."

“It’s more talking to the coaches that coached him,” Kelly said. “It’s not that I need to see him run a certain type of offense or do a certain thing. We’re not dissimilar to everyone else in the NFL in terms of what we do. As much as people think it’s different, it’s not different.

“I think he’s got an outstanding skill set. He’s a big, strong, physical quarterback. He’s over 6-4, he’s 240 pounds, he’s smart, he’s intelligent. He’s one of the most accurate throwers when you see him throw the football.”

Kelly wants to move chains.  Get positive yards every play, even if it isn't huge chunks.  The 3 and outs  one series and huge plays next series isn't Kelly ball.  Plus he frees up cap room to get 2 players for the price of 1, players that fit his ideals.

"“The result of it is the money that was freed up.” Kelly said. “The way we looked at it, we got Alonso and Byron Maxwell for LeSean McCoy."

He wanted Bradford and there are reports out there there were others interested in trading the Rams.  Kelly over bid the others to make sure and get his guy.  And I was wrong about Dead Cap money, the Rams have 3.595 million in dead cap after trading Bradford.  Plus Foles 1.362 million salary.

Kelly disagrees with that guy- "Bradford’s college experience in a spread offense convinced Kelly he could thrive in the Eagles’ offense."

“It’s more talking to the coaches that coached him,” Kelly said. “It’s not that I need to see him run a certain type of offense or do a certain thing. We’re not dissimilar to everyone else in the NFL in terms of what we do. As much as people think it’s different, it’s not different.

“I think he’s got an outstanding skill set. He’s a big, strong, physical quarterback. He’s over 6-4, he’s 240 pounds, he’s smart, he’s intelligent. He’s one of the most accurate throwers when you see him throw the football.”

Kelly wants to move chains. Get positive yards every play, even if it isn't huge chunks. The 3 and outs one series and huge plays next series isn't Kelly ball. Plus he frees up cap room to get 2 players for the price of 1, players that fit his ideals.

"“The result of it is the money that was freed up.” Kelly said. “The way we looked at it, we got Alonso and Byron Maxwell for LeSean McCoy."

He wanted Bradford and there are reports out there there were others interested in trading the Rams. Kelly over bid the others to make sure and get his guy. And I was wrong about Dead Cap money, the Rams have 3.595 million in dead cap after trading Bradford. Plus Foles 1.362 million salary.

You must not be referring to this move when you pointed out that Kelly freed up cap space. I don't see how the Eagles could have accomplished that, as Bradford's salary for this year must be at least 5 times what Foles is going to receive in salary.

I have not criticized the other moves. They make sense, as Kelly is trying to save money and acquire his type of players. But he gave up too much for Bradford, JMO. But thank you for helping me to make sense of the trade. :)

You must not be referring to this move when you pointed out that Kelly freed up cap space. I don't see how the Eagles could have accomplished that, as Bradford's salary for this year must be at least 5 times what Foles is going to receive in salary.

I have not criticized the other moves. They make sense, as Kelly is trying to save money and acquire his type of players. But he gave up too much for Bradford, JMO. But thank you for helping me to make sense of the trade. :)

He said he wants football players, as many as he can get.  He traded McCoy for Alonso, then with extra cap got Maxwell.  2 players for 1 . Remember, Foles regressed in Kelly's system last year, then suffered broken collarbone. He evidently does not believe Foles is a guy that can run his scheme effectively enough.  So, he swapped players.  The 13 million for Bradford is 1 year.  They'll rework his next deal according to how he pans out.

Draft picks, not that big this year, Rams get Eagles fourth round (later the Rams own 4th) and give Eagles their earlier in the round 5th round pick.  Likely almost a wash.  Next year Rams get a 2, but there is potential that the Eagles get a 3rd or 4th round pick back in return.  (Bradford gets injured once again and misses significant time).

The only thing I can make is Kelly really had no faith in Foles, and believes he (and Shurmur) can re-transform Bradford back into the t #1 overall draft pick elite level franchise QB he was supposed to be.  We'll see.  He brought back Sanchez as an insurance policy. He's a head coach.  I'm not.  i just watch.  Kelly knows his choices are on display, and there will be heavy fallout if it fails.  No matter what, you have to admire Kelly's chutzpah.

He said he wants football players, as many as he can get. He traded McCoy for Alonso, then with extra cap got Maxwell. 2 players for 1 . Remember, Foles regressed in Kelly's system last year, then suffered broken collarbone. He evidently does not believe Foles is a guy that can run his scheme effectively enough. So, he swapped players. The 13 million for Bradford is 1 year. They'll rework his next deal according to how he pans out.

Draft picks, not that big this year, Rams get Eagles fourth round (later the Rams own 4th) and give Eagles their earlier in the round 5th round pick. Likely almost a wash. Next year Rams get a 2, but there is potential that the Eagles get a 3rd or 4th round pick back in return. (Bradford gets injured once again and misses significant time).

The only thing I can make is Kelly really had no faith in Foles, and believes he (and Shurmur) can re-transform Bradford back into the t #1 overall draft pick elite level franchise QB he was supposed to be. We'll see. He brought back Sanchez as an insurance policy. He's a head coach. I'm not. i just watch. Kelly knows his choices are on display, and there will be heavy fallout if it fails. No matter what, you have to admire Kelly's chutzpah.

Thanks again. You do a better job explaining his moves than Kelly does.

The Eagles will not win more than 6 games next year.