Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Small unoticed details of this offseason

12isthenew18

I would imagine you feel this way because the players who have been released are not illegal to make deals with. Wait until 4 pm and things will change.

Not necessarily.  That's basically the same strategy Baltimore has used for the past several years and it's worked very well for them in terms of compensatory picks.  Plus last year, after signing Dqwell Jackson, Grigson specifically mentioned that he liked the fact that Jackson wouldn't factor in when determining compensatory picks.  So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was part of his strategy this offseason.

Yep, if you sign players that are cut, they don't count against getting future comp picks.

Is that true?  I thought the rules simply looked at how many players you signed and how good they were for you.  From what I understand, the only benefit in signing players who are cut is that their previous team will not gain a high comp pick if they play well.  But we won't necessarily gain any picks from it.  We would gain picks from other teams signing our free agents and having them do well.  For example, we didn't get any comp picks for Peyton leaving because we cut him.  So the Eagles and 49ers wouldn't get comp picks.  But that doesn't mean we will get any extra picks

Is that true?  I thought the rules simply looked at how many players you signed and how good they were for you.  From what I understand, the only benefit in signing players who are cut is that their previous team will not gain a high comp pick if they play well.  But we won't necessarily gain any picks from it.  We would gain picks from other teams signing our free agents and having them do well.  For example, we didn't get any comp picks for Peyton leaving because we cut him.  So the Eagles and 49ers wouldn't get comp picks.  But that doesn't mean we will get any extra picks

Yes it is true.  Players that are cut do not figure into the equations for determining compensatory picks.  I thought the same as you until last year when Dqwell Jackson was signed.  Grigson mentioned, after signing Jackson, that one of the additional benefits to bringing him in was that he was cut by Cleveland, so he wouldn't count towards compensatory picks.  I'd also read an article around that time talking about how Ozzie Newsome has been doing that for years, developing in house players that eventually move on to other teams (Kruger, McPhee, Jones, etc) so they all count as compensatory free agents lost, but he specifically looks for players that have been cut rather than who's contracts have expired because they don't count against him.  So Baltimore has been one of the better teams about getting compensatory picks in the past few years.

Yes it is true.  Players that are cut do not figure into the equations for determining compensatory picks.  I thought the same as you until last year when Dqwell Jackson was signed.  Grigson mentioned, after signing Jackson, that one of the additional benefits to bringing him in was that he was cut by Cleveland, so he wouldn't count towards compensatory picks.  I'd also read an article around that time talking about how Ozzie Newsome has been doing that for years, developing in house players that eventually move on to other teams (Kruger, McPhee, Jones, etc) so they all count as compensatory free agents lost, but he specifically looks for players that have been cut rather than who's contracts have expired because they don't count against him.  So Baltimore has been one of the better teams about getting compensatory picks in the past few years.

QFT

However, we aren't losing any noteworthy free agents. Kept Butler, kept Reitz, kept Hasselbeck... Sergio Brown is the only one leaving that might wind up being a starter, I think. He's probably not going to get big money. If we get Frank Gore, it will be a wash. So I don't think we'll really be in line to get any comp picks in 2016 anyways.

I think Grigson's motivation with the released guys is adding some hungry vets who can play right away, but have a lower market values. Not a lot of risk, but they can contribute easily on our team. I think that's more what he's doing, than trying to pile up some comp picks. 

This does play a role but this year I don't think this is the case. We have a lot of familiarity with the two eagle guys and who wouldn't want AJ but yes last year Jackson didn't count against us meaning he didn't offset one of our guys that left. A lot of good gms do this...see elway in Denver with the ware deal and they pushed for Jackson too. They picked up Talib and some other guys but they lost guys like Beadles and decker too. It's a fairly complex formula based off how much the contract is for and if they stayed with team and there is a set limit of conditional picks etc.

Yeah, I think Grigs is smarter than people give him credit for, he has already shown that he can structure his FA deals to easily cutbait like we are seeing this off season...

still don't understand how people don't get it...

You mean Grigson is not some * like some make him out to be? Some seem to think he knows very little about being a GM. IMO there is no harder working GM in the league. Him and his staff turn over every rock so to say looking for the players who will make the Colts better. Not every GM is going to get a positive player every time. One of the problems is Grigsons first draft was fantastic and earned him GM of the year. Now some seem to think if that don't happen every year then he is somehow at fault.

You mean Grigson is not some * like some make him out to be? Some seem to think he knows very little about being a GM. IMO there is no harder working GM in the league. Him and his staff turn over every rock so to say looking for the players who will make the Colts better. Not every GM is going to get a positive player every time. One of the problems is Grigsons first draft was fantastic and earned him GM of the year. Now some seem to think if that don't happen every year then he is somehow at fault.

Frakin bingo.

right, & i think people/fans also forget that there are 31 other teams, all with at least something to offer...