Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Cole: Colts top suiters for Suh and Hardy. (Merge)

RealityIsLuck

I want out of the $UH sweepstakes. He shouldn't make more money than JJ. Watt, period.

Save that huge payday money for other needs: 

Get Trent Cole or Pernell McPhee instead of Hardy at OLB.

(We've tried to fit round pegs in square holes with Hughes and Werner already) 

Get Ngata, Pot Roast, Nick Fairley or even Wilfork for DT/NT. 

Raheem Moore not Tyvon Branch at safety, and re-sign Mike Adams and Sergio Brown. 

Andre Johnson at WR

Frank Gore or CJ Spiller at RB 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want out of the $UH sweepstakes. He shouldn't make more money than JJ. Watt, period.

Save that huge payday money for other needs: 

Get Trent Cole or Pernell McPhee instead of Hardy at OLB.

(We've tried to fit round pegs in square holes with Hughes and Werner already) 

Get Ngata, Pot Roast, Nick Fairley or even Wilfork for DT/NT. 

Raheem Moore not Tyvon Branch at safety, and re-sign Mike Adams and Sergio Brown. 

Andre Johnson at WR

Frank Gore or CJ Spiller at RB 

I wouldn't have a problem with Ngata at all. I want him or Suh one. But if we have a chance we need to sign Suh. I mean he's one of the best defensive players in the last several years. You don't understand how much better he'd make our defense. I totally disagree on the McPhee or Cole over Hardy thing. Hardy is one of the best pure edge rushers in the league. I think he would excel standing up btw, and IMO, he'll put up higher sack numbers than either one of Cole or McPhee next season. He's just better than those guys. And the weird thing is McPhee could very easily get more money given Hardy's situation.

You will all say that now, but what would you say if we didn't sign any other need after signing him? Or we end up losing TY because of his deal?

When there is a chance that Ngata is out there for probably half the price, I would much rather go in that direction.

We really DON`T have a lot of money.

Luck & Hilton will eat up over half of it so won`t it be saved for them?

Then Allen, Fleener.

My guess a New D-Lineman in FA for over $5M per. And a WR vet that may cost some $$ on what is really a 2 yr deal.

And a bunch of roster filling pieces after that.

Kinda hoping for a Cherilus health cut so a RT maybe also.

So when Grigs said he will be aggressive in free agency he meant he'll sign a low to mid tier DL and old WR and depth? I don't think so.

You will all day that now, but what would you say if we didn't feel ant other need after signing him? Or we end up losing TY because of his deal?

When there is a chance that Ngata is out there for probably half the price, I would much rather go in that direction.

Why would we lose TY? Do any of you guys understand our cap situation? At this moment we have a projected $88M in cap space next season. That's only going to get larger with the new TV deal kicking in. 

Worst comes to worse and we lose our tight-ends. Both of which are replaceable. We would not lose TY. 

Why would we lose TY? Do any of you guys understand our cap situation? At this moment we have a projected $88M in cap space next season. That's only going to get larger with the new TV deal kicking in.

Worst comes to worse and we lose our tight-ends. Both of which are replaceable. We would not lose TY.

Fleener, yes. Allen, not so much. He was a top 5 TE his rookie year and I think it was clear he was far from 100% last year.

Yeah and the core of our offense are all FA next year.

Luck

Allen

Fleener

Costanzo

TY

we can't afford all of them if we give Suh 16-18 per.

So even if we have 88 Mil.

Suh would be 16 so that drops it to 72

Luck at 18-20, so drop it to 54

Hilton at 9-11 so drop it now to 45

Costanzo 10-12 so drop it now to 35

Allen 5-8 so drop it to 30

Fleener 5-8 drop again to 25

Mathis will be gone, so we are banking all of our Pass rush on Newsome.

Toler will be FA, so either resign him or bring in someone else

We will need a Backup QB.

That doesn't count what we will be paying Freeman

That doesn't count us signing either Safety.

Chapman will be FA, so we won't have a true NT to rotate

That also doesn't account for a RG either

or another receiver.

That is a lot to spread out $25 M on.

And that is a lot to bank on 1 player making a difference, that I just don't think he will.

Luck

Allen

Fleener

Costanzo

TY

or another receiver.

And that is a lot to bank on 1 player making a difference, that I just don't think he will.

So what you're saying is that we can re-sign all of our core players and still have more than $25M (likely a lot more than that with the salary cap increase) in cap space? What's the problem here? Do you expect that we're going to have $40M in cap space every year for eternity? 

Luck

Allen

Fleener

Costanzo

TY

or another receiver.

That's not really how it works. Cap hits don't necessarily equal yearly averages. And I think your numbers for AC and the TEs (band name??) are on the high end.

So what you're saying is that we can re-sign all of our core players and still have more than $25M (likely a lot more than that with the salary cap increase) in cap space? What's the problem here? Do you expect that we're going to have $40M in cap space every year for eternity? 

that is not having a pass rusher, CB, either safety, ILB. It will just kill us going forward. And that was expecting every deal on the low end, which we know will not happen.

If we offer as much as Miami does, I think he'll come here. Why wouldn't he? He can go to freaking Florida in the offseason when its summer time. I mean who had rather play with the Dolphins (who isn't a legit Super Bowl team) than the Colts who could be the favorites with the right offseason.

Dolphins HAD to have offered more

It's just no way you pick the Dolphins over the Colts unless for Money or Weather reasons

Miami is awesome for a 28 year old millionaire. Especially in the offseason, and especially compared to cold weather regions. It's 83 and sunny in Miami right now. And, Florida has no state income tax. 

Most importantly, nothing is official until Tuesday. The legal tampering period doesn't even start until Saturday. The Suh to Miami rumor could be nothing.

That's not really how it works. Cap hits don't necessarily equal yearly averages. And I think your numbers for AC and the TEs (band name??) are on the high end.

I know they change each year, but I just went by the Avgs to make a point. The TE's are on the average end, at $5 per, and OTs on the higher end run 10-12 M per. I think Costanzo has proven to be a top tier OT. If they were willing to make Cherilus the #2 paid RT then I can see them easily doing the same for Costanzo.

If we offer as much as Miami does, I think he'll come here. Why wouldn't he? He can go to freaking Florida in the offseason when its summer time. I mean who had rather play with the Dolphins (who isn't a legit Super Bowl team) than the Colts who could be the favorites with the right offseason.

I think you're overrating the Colts and underselling the Dolphins. They aren't exactly the Browns or the Jaguars. 

Miami is awesome for a 28 year old millionaire. Especially in the offseason, and especially compared to cold weather regions. It's 83 and sunny in Miami right now. And, Florida has no state income tax.

Most importantly, nothing is official until Tuesday. The legal tampering period doesn't even start until Saturday. The Suh to Miami rumor could be nothing.

Money cool and all, but I'd take championship wins and the money, not just the money

But that's just me

Miami not winning before us imo

Miami not the worst team ever, they just not better than us lol

I know they change each year, but I just went by the Avgs to make a point. The TE's are on the average end, at $5 per, and OTs on the higher end run 10-12 M per. I think Costanzo has proven to be a top tier OT. If they were willing to make Cherilus the #2 paid RT then I can see them easily doing the same for Costanzo.

I can theorize backloaded contracts with low cap hits in order to make the opposite point. Technically, I can show you a Colts rolling cap with $40m to spend every offseason for the next three years, with all those contracts you mentioned. I don't think that's the right way to do it, but with non-guaranteed contracts and prorated bonuses, you can make it work. Especially when you're talking about signing the best defensive free agent to hit the market since probably Reggie White.

I have tons of hesitation when it comes to Suh, but managing the cap isn't the issue.

Money cool and all, but I'd take championship wins and the money, not just the money

But that's just me

I don't know the future. But Miami is on the cusp of being a playoff team. Add Suh, and they are a playoff contender. 

All told, Suh's decision is going to come down to money, above all else. We can idealize all day long, but he already said that his agent is probably going to decide where he plays.

But that's just me

This is what a lot of people who will never be offered the money try and say.  For some reason the people actually being offered the cash, never feel the same.  It's pretty crazy how every athlete is greedy and us fans wouldn't be.  

I think you're overrating the Colts and underselling the Dolphins. They aren't exactly the Browns or the Jaguars. 

I mean Miami isn't a bad team by any means. I'd call them a fringe playoff team, but even if they cross that hump, I don't think Tannehill can lead them to a Super Bowl. I think we're clearly in a better position than they are.

This is what a lot of people who will never be offered the money try and say. For some reason the people actually being offered the cash, never feel the same. It's pretty crazy how every athlete is greedy and us fans wouldn't be.

I get he got bills and family like every other person but making $1 million alone in one is more than 75% of the economy makes in 2yrs let alone making $20million+

They aren't a superbowl team but tannehill, wallace, landry, miller is a great foundation for a strong offense.

I get he got bills and family like every other person but making $1 million alone in one is more than 75% of the economy makes in 2yrs let alone making $20million+

And still, somehow they always take the money.  Maybe a couple million a year is still a big deal to people with or without millions, eh?

I mean Miami isn't a bad team by any means. I'd call them a fringe playoff team, but even if they cross that hump, I don't think Tannehill can lead them to a Super Bowl. I think we're clearly in a better position than they are.

So do I, but that doesn't make them a bad destination.

The conversation was practically the same three years ago when it was Mario Williams on the market. He took the extra money to go to a team that hasn't even made the playoffs in over a decade (15 years now), and even went to a cold weather team to do so. Above all else, it's the money.

I can theorize backloaded contracts with low cap hits in order to make the opposite point. Technically, I can show you a Colts rolling cap with $40m to spend every offseason for the next three years, with all those contracts you mentioned. I don't think that's the right way to do it, but with non-guaranteed contracts and prorated bonuses, you can make it work. Especially when you're talking about signing the best defensive free agent to hit the market since probably Reggie White.

I have tons of hesitation when it comes to Suh, but managing the cap isn't the issue.

I think a legit case can be made in regards to his motives tied in with his effort at times, This past year he had a fantastic year both against the run and pass, The most plays against the pass since his rookie year (sacks) and the most stuffs against the run this year with 13...Highest of his career

It forever cracks me up when a person decides someone else has enough money. 

Maybe should pump the breaks on the Suh talk.  Check out Stephen Holder's recent tweets.  Said there seems to be real concern with Suh fitting the scheme here in Indy.  Also speaks to one of Polian's Do's & Don'ts.

The truth is that our defense does use a 3-tech penetrator, often. And Suh plays 2 gaps in the run game, often. The only difference between playing in our front vs a 4-3 front for Suh would be that he would line up between a tackle and a guard more often. If we're smart, we'd move him around like the Texans do Watt. Holder compares him to McCoy, but he's different from McCoy.

Polian's point was don't try to reinvent a player. That doesn't mean you can't take him out of a 4-3 and put him in a 3-4. Especially if your 3-4 is malleable, which ours is.

It's definitely a major consideration, but I don't think scheme fit is a problem in this case.