Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

should colts consider a zone blocking scheme

Coltivated

Don't know all the x's & o's for say but the man scheme we have run had not been very successful imo. I know overall line talent would dictate success regardless of scheme. Im saying it might be worth consideration. New running back coach new scheme? wanted feed back on idea

Just curious....what other NFL teams run a man blocking scheme and how successful are their ground games?

I'd be interested to hear from Forum X's & O's folks how this may or may not complicate what we've been running up to this point, and what would be involved in installing it?

With 2 or perhaps 3 O-line positions and out RBs unsettled, I'm open for anything that gets us a consistent, solid running game that forces defenses to respect it....as long as it's something that can be converted to reasonably quickly. 

They should consider a block for Adrian Peterson type of scheme.

I'd be completely comfortable with management if they gave up an RG3 bounty to get AP. Call me crazy, but unless you can tell me who's a better back in the league, I dont really care about your opinions. But please do give them, I like healthy discussion.

He sat out the entire year without any injuries which means he's completely fresh. Besides, who's better?

It has nothing to to do with whos better, Peterson was great and likely still is but the O Line problems need to come first, Fix those and ya suddenly have a rb that can run well

It has nothing to to do with whos better, Peterson was great and likely still is but the O Line problems need to come first, Fix those and ya suddenly have a rb that can run well

What? That makes no sense. It has everything to do with who's better. You are basically saying that Donald Brown would look good in Dallas.

What? That makes no sense. It has everything to do with who's better. You are basically saying that Donald Brown would look good in Dallas.

What? lol... He definitely would... He would probably live up to the first round pick we gave up for him...

No, dude was never even worthy of that pick. We should have chosen Beanie Wells. A scrub is a srub.

So at this point and time I think I have enough information to deduce that you are in fact infatuated with the player instead of actually realizing the circumstance of the player.  30 is a hard age for any running back, and even then he was not as dominant as he used to be in the last physical piece of evidence that we have seen.  

As far as DB I never said he was worth the pick I just made the simple statement that behind the Dallas O-Line (the best in the NFL) he would probably live up to that 1st pick just like the other 50 backs in the league would behind that outstanding O-Line...

So at this point and time I think I have enough information to deduce that you are in fact infatuated with the player instead of actually realizing the circumstance of the player.  30 is a hard age for any running back, and even then he was not as dominant as he used to be in the last physical piece of evidence that we have seen.  

As far as DB I never said he was worth the pick I just made the simple statement that behind the Dallas O-Line (the best in the NFL) he would probably live up to that 1st pick just like the other 50 backs in the league would behind that outstanding O-Line...

I'd be willing to bet Brown likely would get to dinged up to get enough carries, Not necessarily an injury but dinged up to where he has to come out often enough, He is very slight of build if you have seen him up close

I'd be willing to bet Brown like would get to dinged up to get enough carries, Not necessarily an injury but dinged up to where he has to come out often enough, He is very slight of build if you have seen him up close

Agreed.  He wasn't durable, but man did he have some speed. Could you imagine him actually being able to get to the 2nd level?  What could of been ...lol

The fact that its Adrian Peterson makes no difference to me. I want us to to have an elite running back behind Andrew. I want to have a back who is special, not someone who is solely dependant on his offensive line.

As for Peterson's dominance, dude, he played 1 game and got 75 yards. This guy won an MVP after an ACL. Imagine what he can do after a year of rest. There isnt a single running back in the NFL whom Id remotely consider to be better, 30 or not.

Our O-line isnt the best at pass blocking but guess what, we have a QB who is still capable of throwing 40 td's. Get my drift?

The fact that its Adrian Peterson makes no difference to me. I want us to to have an elite running back behind Andrew. I want to have a back who is special, not someone who is solely dependant on his offensive line.

Our O-line isnt the best at pass blocking but guess what, we have a QB who is still capable of throwing 40 td's. Get my drift?

Ok, now we are cooking with peanut oil.  While I agree it would be nice I think the point me and Gavin are trying to point out is that a dynamic RB with the ability you speak of doesn't really change that Luck will be under siege.  It is much more efficient to fix the O-line into an above average unit in both pass and run blocking and put a decent back behind Luck who can grind some yards.  With Luck's ability to scramble and the Line giving him more time to throw should create more space at the 2nd level for a RB to get to thus resulting in a better run game.  :thmup:

Agreed.  He wasn't durable, but man did he have some speed. Could you imagine him actually being able to get to the 2nd level?  What could of been ...lol

I think the injuries he suffered...specifically his ankle took some toll on his speed, But it was on full display with Lucks very first td pass

Yes.

I think a ZBS is easier to teach,  easier to learn,  and easier to perform.   

More high schools use them and so do most colleges.     So, there are more players ready to play in a ZBS than there are in a man blocking scheme.

I also think a ZBS is better when something doesn't qo quite right....    there are more possible holes for a RB to cut into when the primary doesn't work out....

For three years we've been trying man blocking without much success....   it's time for zone blocking.

So you really believe that McCoy, Charles, Forte and Morris are or were ever better than AP?

THEY dont even believe they were ever better than AP.

At the end of the day production trumps all...Not what a player CAN do but what he does do.......McCoy was better then Peterson in 2013....So was Morris, Charles. Peterson is/was a great Back no question and at time the best Back in the league.......He wasn't untouchable

I'm down for Zone Blocking, but if I had to offer a counter argument I will say we spent a number of seasons with a ZBS and had a sorry running game as well.

As bad as it may have been,  I can't imagine it was as bad as what we've been seeing for the past 3 years.....

You've been a Colts fan much longer than me....    So, I'm asking....   was it THIS bad?

As bad as it may have been,  I can't imagine it was as bad as what we've been seeing for the past 3 years.....

You've been a Colts fan much longer than me....    So, I'm asking....   was it THIS bad?

haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2007(Joseph Addai was pretty good pre-injuries).......Running game went straight to hell when Guard Jake Scott left and Tarik Glenn retired

Honestly I think it was pretty bad then too.  At least under this man blocking scheme we can say Vick Ballard almost went for 1000 yards.  The ZBS was good for most of E. James tenure but it went down hill after him.  Addai had decent year or two, but some of his stay and definitely after him we were pretty terrible on the ground as well.

Trent dominated in Alabama in a zbs.he did ok in Cleveland in a zbs.he did nothing in our scheme. Thier are alot of great zbs backs that would do nothing in a man scheme. And vise versa. I think alot of the backs in college are zbs guys if I'm not mistaken. gordon,Ezekiel Elliott,idk about Gurley or Tevin Coleman

In almost every single way, it seems that the zone-stretch scheme is superior to the man-power when it comes to rushing effectiveness and efficiency. Teams using this rushing offense produce NEP more effectively – likely due to the versatility of the blocking assignments (allowing linemen to assess threats on the fly and adjust) – and the zone-stretch’s per play efficiency is also greater than the man-power, proving that this is not just a volume advantage for accumulating NEP. In fact, 13 of the top 15 Rushing NEP seasons since 2004 have come from zone-stretch run schemes. The only area in which the man-power scheme trumps zone-stretch for running back value is that the former will have a greater propensity for running the ball in play selection ratios.

Some teams have the personnel to run a man-power scheme very effectively, such as Bill Musgrave’s 2013 Minnesota Vikings: with a top five road-grading offensive line and a fantastic running back in Adrian Peterson, the historical limitations of the scheme didn’t hinder them. However, if you are a coordinator looking to spice up your team’s rushing, or a fantasy owner looking for both value and opportunity from your running backs, bet on the zone-stretch teams. Their complexity is all worthwhile when you see the results. https://m.numberfire.com/nfl/news/3065/which-nfl-running-scheme-is-the-most-effective

Complicated to answer.  The zone blocking scheme we had during Peyton's time here worked well when the oline had talent.  The oline we have now is probably more talented than the one we had for Manning's last 4 or so years.  A lot of fans are going to remember the line with the loss of Glenn, Lilja, Diem and Scott a declining Saturday and the mistake that was named Ugoh.  But Grigson from what I have seen, looks to be much better at drafting talent for the oline than Polian.  It got rough until the drafting of Costanzo which was the last Polian pick...

I like the ZBS because you help your lineman by utilizing angles.  Plus our scheme has a ton of pulls and shifts that really confuse me.  It seems (of course this is just my opinion) to me that it is overly complicated... You weren't around for the Edge years but Manning's mastery of selling the play action with Edge's quickness to the hole on the basic strong side stretch was awesome to watch.  The great thing about it was Manning could throw 3 or 4 different TE route combinations on one stretch or have the TE do an outside right block or cut back sweep all with the exact same formation with a simple call.  Really great stuff.  The ACE formation was so deadly with that line (see the 2004 season).