Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's absolute, unimpeachable fact.

lol. It is not. You are talking perception here and the perception already is that the Colts are crying sour grapes with this accusation even if it proves true given the final score of the game. If it proves false then whole different ball game.

lol. It is not. You are talking perception here and the perception already is that the Colts are crying sour grapes with this accusation even if it proves true given the final score of the game. If it proves false then whole different ball game.

What accusations? 

if proven true, the pats are once again confirmed to be playing outside the rules.

When somebody (Superman) is right ... they are right. God ....all Jackson did was say the ball felt soft to him and handed it to the Colt ball guy. You really hold him at fault ?

No. More the chain of command that it got to Grigson and then the league at halftime. One ball. One LB saying it felt kind of flat. Seems like a huge leap to me to be calling the league.

The score was only 17-7 at the half. Really now... that's a little early to be "crying sour grapes."

No. More the chain of command that it got to Grigson and then the league at halftime. One ball. One LB saying it felt kind of flat. Seems like a huge leap to me to be calling the league.

It's crazy. You have to actively be trying to be wrong at this point.

Multiple "abnormal" game balls were removed. It wasn't just one. 

Nah.

The ball felt under inflated. The Colts followed procedure and reported it. This has nothing to do with the Colts, and doesn't reflect on them in any way.

Well , everything has to start somewhere and that was the starting point of this. It was probably the first time a Colt got their hands on a ball the Pats were using. 

You can believe that but that is not how it will play out in the media. That is all I am saying.

In the Boston media, yeah.       

I don't know why you are being so defensive, but you're really not making a lot of sense.    Everyone followed the rules,  well,  maybe everyone,   we'll find out soon enough, now won't we?

You can believe that but that is not how it will play out in the media. That is all I am saying.

Anyone can say anything. That doesn't make it true, relevant, or pertinent.

Fact of the matter is that this situation doesn't reflect on the Colts, in any way. Just because some loudmouth with a platform says otherwise doesn't make it true.

Show me a source that says the Colts are accusing the Patriots of deflating the footballs. The conjecture is on your part. 

Adam Schefter mentioned it on NFL Insiders yesterday.   My post #382 states this and also has interesting twist on the issue.  Perhaps you might want to answer my $64,000 question.

Fact of the matter is that this situation doesn't reflect on the Colts, in any way. Just because some loudmouth with a platform says otherwise doesn't make it true.

Perception is reality. That has been my whole point. We live in the bubble 24x7.

Brady and his lousy pick. I love by the way how this whole topic does not bother you at all. :)

What bothered me was seeing the same game I saw a few weeks back. The only difference was NE took Fleener out of the game too.

This "soft ball" stuff ? Ehhh .. what's really going to come of it ? Probably going to say that there were deflated balls but anybodies guess as to how they got that way.

Please read my post #382 and let me know your thoughts on my $64,000 question.

Perception is reality. That has been my whole point. We live in the bubble 24x7.

So, stupid people say and think stupid things, so that makes it true, right?

The perception is that the Pats can't win a Super Bowl because they can't illegally videotape anymore, and that Roger Goodell covered up seriously damning information when he destroyed the tapes. Is that reality?

I just have a few more thoughts on the matter, was thinking about starting a new thread but figured I would enter my thoughts here with respect to what has been disclosed by the media to date, and thus the only “facts” that we have to date on the matter.

It appears that only team ball boys handle the balls for their respective offense, that the teams are requested to bring 12 balls to the game, 24 on bad weather days.  The balls are checked pregame by the refs are not allowed to be touched by the teams until the game starts.  It is against the rule to tamper with a ball.  If one wanted to tamper with a ball to make it underinflated one could simply take a ball inflator and press it into the ball for a brief moment to release some of the air.  A ball inflator is something that can be easily concealed by a person.

Now for the $64,000 question with the facts that we know of now

1. Over the course of BB/Brady 15 year tenor in New England, there is no record of any player or team complaining about underinflated balls with respect to the Patriots offense.
  2. Yesterday Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders that colt player that picked off Brady twice in November indicated that the ball was underinflated and the NFL was alerted.
  3. Also yesterday Adam indicated the player who intercepted the ball on Sunday felt the ball was underinflated.  The refs were alerted. (this fact was backed up by the links in this thread).

So the $64,000 question for me is a chain of custody question.  The only three balls that I am aware of that connect BB/Brady with underinflated balls are ones that were in the possession of the colts players and team members on their sidelines, in the two games this year.  If in our long history of BB/Brady’s tenor and all of the interceptions and balls being handled by the refs and opposing players, does anyone fine interesting that the only three balls that we are aware of in that history have the same common denominator, and that being the colts sideline?

I would say that if the NFL comes out and agrees with the officials that the balls they removed from the game were under inflated , then a good part of your $64,000 question will be answered . 

Adam Schefter mentioned it on NFL Insiders yesterday.   My post #382 states this and also has interesting twist on the issue.  Perhaps you might want to answer my $64,000 question.

I'll try to answer your question.

You are under the assumption that no other team has said anything about this regarding the Patriots. This game is our first public knowledge of such an incident being reported. Nobody knew that there was a complaint in November. It's not a stretch to say that other teams may have reported this as well, just nothing got out to the public.

If I was a betting man, I would say that other teams may have taken notice of it, and complained to the league, which is why an issue that would probably be shrugged off as happenstance, is now under a thorough investigation by the league. 

Apparently this happened in November as well. So it seems we're up to 3 footballs now. 

Please read my post #382 and let me know your thoughts on my $64,000 question.

???

So you're suggesting that the Colts set the Pats up? 

The Colts picked the ball off, said "hey, let's accuse the Pats of deflating balls!!" Then proceeded to deflate balls on their own sideline, so that they could report the deflated balls to the refs? 

Seriously?

The refs were seen inspecting balls on the field. Balls that came straight from the Pats sideline. So there's not a lot of weight behind your theory already. 

It's a really incredible twist, though, I'll give you credit for that.

So, stupid people say and think stupid things, so that makes it true, right?

The perception is that the Pats can't win a Super Bowl because they can't illegally videotape anymore, and that Roger Goodell covered up seriously damning information when he destroyed the tapes. Is that reality?

You are preaching to the choir believe me. But it is reality. Not even a decade ago, news stories were reported by reporters at esteemed publications. Stories were sourced. Three sources was the rule for anyone to report anything as fact. Op ed pieces were rare because most folks did not want to read opinion but facts. Fast forward to about 5-8 years ago and the validity of a story is based on how many websites it appears on. The rush to be first even with errant information has replaced the need to actually be right. Sensationalism drives the machine with viral social media as its engine.

By the way, all of this is uncontrollable. Believe me when I tell you that this will reflect poorly on the Colts if not proven to be true. This is a serious claim being made with a league investigation on the heels of a blow out, their 4th blow out in two years to the same team. This is why I say I don't understand why Grigson would go the league on the word of a LB handling one ball. He knew who he was accusing and the ramifications of what would happen. It has been two days now with this thing not due to wrap until the end of the week. As with everything, this has taken a life of its own out in cyberspace ... there is always a cost to that. More than people want to pay.

You are preaching to the choir believe me. But it is reality. Not even a decade ago, news stories were reported by reporters at esteemed publications. Stories were sourced. Three sources was the rule for anyone to report anything as fact. Op ed pieces were rare because most folks did not want to read opinion but facts. Fast forward to about 5-8 years ago and the validity of a story is based on how many websites it appears on. The rush to be first even with errant information has replaced the need to actually be right. Sensationalism drives the machine with viral social media as its engine.

By the way, all of this is uncontrollable. Believe me when I tell you that this will reflect poorly on the Colts if not proven to be true. This is a serious claim being made with a league investigation on the heels of a blow out, their 4th blow out in two years to the same team. This is why I say I don't understand why Grigson would go the league on the word of a LB handling one ball. He knew who he was accusing and the ramifications of what would happen. It has been two days now with this thing not due to wrap until the end of the week. As with everything, this has taken a life of its own out in cyberspace ... there is always a cost to that. More than people want to pay.

Yeah, well, I don't think that just because there's a well known saying that the saying is accurate. Perception reality. People can say what they want; that doesn't make it true.

Well...since we're all still talking about this......

Its seems that ESPN, Cowherd, and probably others are beginning to circle the wagons and trying to make the story seem like a fabrication by the Colts out of sour grapes.

Like this is not much different than usual  "us" vs "them" thinking and trying to deflect the situation.

The issue is about whether or not the Pats broke game rules to try to gain an advantage.  its really not about anything else.

Yeah, well, I don't think that just because there's a well known saying that the saying is accurate. Perception reality. People can say what they want; that doesn't make it true.

In the world we live in, perception is reality. We don't deal in truth and certainly not absolute truths about anything least of all sports and the NFL.