Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which AFC team can beat Seattle in the Super Bowl..if Seattle gets to the Super Bowl?

coltkingABC

Contain Russell Wilson.  Do not over pursue.  Keep him trapped by holding your lanes.  That and time of possession 2 to 1 will do it.  That's what we did.  However, we had Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead healthy and running well.  Anyone that beats them will have to be able to pound it out if they want their pass game to be effective.  

The Seahawks are beatable, but they are NOT beatable against the most popular offense in the game. That's the thing - they have figured out how to defend the pocket passing quarterback in all phases. What they've done on defense is the equivalent of what Joe Gibbs did on offense against Buddy Ryan.

It will take a mad Andrew Luck, Rivers or Big Ben type to beat Seattle. The thing there though is that Rivers and Big Ben aren't to happy about running into linebackers and gunslinging anymore. It would take a 2003 Brett Favre/Raiders type throwback game for them to do it. That leaves Luck who will play that type of ball if he gets mad, but they have to beat everybody else first. It really looks good for Seattle.

Ohhh!  I forgot, add in a 115 degree field temperature for good measure, LOL!  Our game was miserably hot and Pete Carroll didn't give enough thought to those temps.  They sort of blew it off and it bit them in the rear.

That was one of the reasons Bill Belicheck brought his team to San Diego all week for our game.  It was another hot week (not nearly so much so, but compared to temps they were playing in elsewhere).  

The Seahawks are beatable, but they are NOT beatable against the most popular offense in the game. That's the thing - they have figured out how to defend the pocket passing quarterback in all phases. What they've done on defense is the equivalent of what Joe Gibbs did on offense against Buddy Ryan.

It will take a mad Andrew Luck, Rivers or Big Ben type to beat Seattle. The thing there though is that Rivers and Big Ben aren't to happy about running into linebackers and gunslinging anymore. It would take a 2003 Brett Favre/Raiders type throwback game for them to do it. That leaves Luck who will play that type of ball if he gets mad, but they have to beat everybody else first. It really looks good for Seattle.

Manning torched them in the second half when Denver played them going 80 yards in a minute to tie the game and force OT. And Rivers had a great game vs them as well as Romo. They are beatable by pocket passers.

Manning torched them in the second half when Denver played them going 80 yards in a minute to tie the game and force OT. And Rivers had a great game vs them as well as Romo. They are beatable by pocket passers.

Forcing OT isn't winning.

Romo also counts as a nontypical quarterback even though he depnds more on his arm now. The threat of somerhing different is still there similar to Rivers and those guys.

Forcing OT isn't winning.

Romo also counts as a nontypical quarterback even though he depnds more on his arm now. The threat of somerhing different is still there similar to Rivers and those guys.

Who is talking about winning? You suggested that Seattle's defense has figured out pocket passers. They certainly didn't vs Manning this year or Rivers or Romo. All of them are pocket passers with Romo having more athletic ability than the other two.

I think Seattle's defense is good. Period. They were great against Kaep both games and handled Philly and Chip's dynamic O as well. They will be tough no matter what type of QB or offense they face.

Manning torched them in the second half when Denver played them going 80 yards in a minute to tie the game and force OT. And Rivers had a great game vs them as well as Romo. They are beatable by pocket passers.

The Seahawks defense dominated Manning and the Broncos offense for 59 minutes prior to inexplicably playing soft in the final minute to allow that 80 yard drive. The only TD the Broncos had scored before that came on a 19 yard drive after a rare bad pick was thrown by Russell Wilson. That, along with a safety, had let them back into the game after being dominated for most of it. Here is the Broncos drive summary for that game prior to that final 80 yard drive:

Fumble, field goal, punt, punt, punt, end of half, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, touchdown (19 yard drive), interception.

If anything the Seahawks defense was even more dominant in that game than they had been in the Super Bowl, at least for the first 59 minutes.

The Seahawks defense dominated Manning and the Broncos offense for 59 minutes prior to inexplicably playing soft in the final minute to allow that 80 yard drive. The only TD the Broncos had scored before that came on a 19 yard drive after a rare bad pick was thrown by Russell Wilson. That, along with a safety, had let them back into the game after being dominated for most of it. Here is the Broncos drive summary for that game prior to that final 80 yard drive:

Fumble, field goal, punt, punt, punt, end of half, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, touchdown (19 yard drive), interception.

If anything the Seahawks defense was even more dominant in that game than they had been in the Super Bowl, at least for the first 59 minutes.

The point was Manning's play. Manning went 31 for 49, 300+ yards with two TDs and one pick and much of that production came in the second half. Not sure how you see that as a better performance by Seattle than the SB when Manning had two picks including a pick six and a fumble and did not score until the third quarter which was his only score of the game.

I dont care what anyone says, nobody in the AFC has a chance except the Colts. Period!

Peyton cant extend the play outside the pocket in case Seattle were to pressure, neither can the Patriots. The Patriots would only be able to run the ball and im sure the seattle defense would shut that down and then pressure Brady to sacks or force interceptions.

Dalton...pshhh...

Big Ben-probably has the 2nd best chance but not enough.

Chiefs-not so much because Alex Smith doesnt throw deep balls so it makes it hard in emergency situations where they need to make a comeback.

Chargers-Their play is just so inconsistent. They look like a Super Bowl team one weekend than like the #1 overall draft pick the next....

The problem is that Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers and Bengals are getting blocked by the two powerhouses of the AFC, Patriots and Broncos. Brady and Peyton just need to retire because theyre ruining the chances of the AFC having a chance at beating the NFC...

What I refuse to believe is that an AFC team has to score 30 or even 25 to beat them. The Patriots are capable of winning a 20-16 or 23-20 game vs the Seahawks, so are the Packers but since we're talking just AFC, yes the Patriots are capable of it.

Everything vs the Seahawks starts with time of possession and limiting Wilson, and staying patient vs their D.

What?

This Pats team is MUCH better than 2012. It is not even close defensively. STs are better too. O is the same - both ranked one in points scored but this team has a healthy Gronk heading into the post-season.

Seattle IS better this year than 2012 but not better than last year. Last year they had Tate and Harvin. They don't have anyone close to that offensively to hurt in the passing game.

Oh now you value Tate?. When i said he was big time, you said he was average.

They have enough weapons to hurt. Kearse, Paul Richardson and Baldwin are really good. Add Wilson running around with Lynch.

They are also peaking at the right time on both sides of the football.

Who is talking about winning? You suggested that Seattle's defense has figured out pocket passers. They certainly didn't vs Manning this year or Rivers or Romo. All of them are pocket passers with Romo having more athletic ability than the other two.

I think Seattle's defense is good. Period. They were great against Kaep both games and handled Philly and Chip's dynamic O as well. They will be tough no matter what type of QB or offense they face.

Lol did I really have to explain the "winning" part? I mean is there ever some other point to the defense stopping the quarterback?

Romo and Rivers aren't traditional pocket passers. They've leaned on that as they've gotten older but defenses know that there is still the possibility of them doing a number of other things. If that goes away more and more every year, it'll be latecareer Favre all over again they won't have a chance against Seattle.

Yeah Belichick will do something

Yeah like he did something the last 2 SB that they lost both times to the Giants. :popcorn: Their good but they haven't won the big one in a long time so on any given day they can be beat.  Who says the Seahawks or Patriotrs will even be in the SB :???:    Let the playoffs begin and see what happens. ;)

The point was Manning's play. Manning went 31 for 49, 300+ yards with two TDs and one pick and much of that production came in the second half. Not sure how you see that as a better performance by Seattle than the SB when Manning had two picks including a pick six and a fumble and did not score until the third quarter which was his only score of the game.

The only series in the game where Manning and the Broncos offense did much of anything was in the final minute of regulation. Manning's only other TD came on a short field after a turnover. At one point the Broncos had punted on 8 straight series and had scored only three points going into the fourth quarter. The only reason the Broncos were able to get back into the game was because of a turnover and safety by the Seahawks offense. Manning looked every bit as frustrated by the Seahawks defense for most of that game as he did during the Super Bowl.

Oh now you value Tate?. When i said he was big time, you said he was average.

They have enough weapons to hurt. Kearse, Paul Richardson and Baldwin are really good. Add Wilson running around with Lynch.

They are also peaking at the right time on both sides of the football.

Tate was a great receiver for them last year and certainly has had an even better year with Detroit this year so yeah, he made them a better team along with Harvin.

Seattle is the type of team you can beat with low scoring. I could see a 20-17 or even 17-13 game. The Pats have had several of those games with the Raiders, Jets, San Diego and GB. So I feel good that they can win a low scoring slug fest. And I also feel that the Pats coaching is superior to Seattle. I think that would be the difference in a close game. But you are right, Seattle is air tight right now and dialed in on both sides.

Lol did I really have to explain the "winning" part? I mean is there ever some other point to the defense stopping the quarterback?

Romo and Rivers aren't traditional pocket passers. They've leaned on that as they've gotten older but defenses know that there is still the possibility of them doing a number of other things. If that goes away more and more every year, it'll be latecareer Favre all over again they won't have a chance against Seattle.

Ok, so your point is Seattle is really good vs Manning?

The only series in the game where Manning and the Broncos offense did much of anything was in the final minute of regulation. Manning's only other TD came on a short field after a turnover. At one point the Broncos had punted on 8 straight series and had scored only three points going into the fourth quarter. The only reason the Broncos were able to get back into the game was because of a turnover and safety by the Seahawks offense. Manning looked every bit as frustrated by the Seahawks defense for most of that game as he did during the Super Bowl.

I get what you are saying but Manning cashed in on that turnover and also led the game tying drive with just a minute to go and 80 yards to cover. I think he played much better than the Super Bowl. But the point is moot I think as Denver is NOT beating Seattle in current form. They will have their hands full today with the Raiders if they look anything like they did vs Cincy on Monday night.

Yeah like he did something the last 2 SB that they lost both times to the Giants. :popcorn: Their good but they haven't won the big one in a long time so on any given day they can be beat. Who says the Seahawks or Patriotrs will even be in the SB :???: Let the playoffs begin and see what happens. ;)

I didn't say he will do something to win :).

Will be better than Fox.

I get what you are saying but Manning cashed in on that turnover and also led the game tying drive with just a minute to go and 80 yards to cover. I think he played much better than the Super Bowl. But the point is moot I think as Denver is NOT beating Seattle in current form. They will have their hands full today with the Raiders if they look anything like they did vs Cincy on Monday night.

Manning is still a dangerous quarterback because of his intelligence but his immobility and diminished arm strength means he really relies on a clean pocket, timing, and YAC by receivers to be successful.  Seattle's defense has the ability to consistently move him off his spot, jam the receivers to disrupt their timing, and limit YAC with its defensive team speed.   It's just not a good matchup for Manning.

Personally I think Brady would be a much tougher matchup for the Seahawks, especially with a healthy Gronk.  Big mobile TEs have given them problems at times this year.

Anyway, both teams have to win some tough games to get to the Super Bowl so its a little early to worry about how they match up at this point.

Manning is still a dangerous quarterback because of his intelligence but his immobility and diminished arm strength means he really relies on a clean pocket, timing, and YAC by receivers to be successful.  Seattle's defense has the ability to consistently move him off his spot, jam the receivers to disrupt their timing, and limit YAC with its defensive team speed.   It's just not a good matchup for Manning.

Personally I think Brady would be a much tougher matchup for the Seahawks, especially with a healthy Gronk.  Big mobile TEs have given them problems at times this year.

Anyway, both teams have to win some tough games to get to the Super Bowl so its a little early to worry about how they match up at this point.

How do you feel about a potential match up with Dallas? They are really hot right now and beat Seattle in Seattle. Not sure they win at GB but if they did then the champ game would be them. Would you feel better about GB? Have to think you would handle then they way you did in week 1.

Before we declre Seattle invincible..

In the last 6 games..Seattle has defeated Arizona twice, SF twice, Phily and St. Louis.

They don't see good quarterbacks much.

......rematches with dallas and GB will be interesting

Yes, I am not sure they make it out of the NFC just yet. I like Dallas vs them as they match up well but GB would also give them a better game the second time around.

How do you feel about a potential match up with Dallas? They are really hot right now and beat Seattle in Seattle. Not sure they win at GB but if they did then the champ game would be them. Would you feel better about GB? Have to think you would handle then they way you did in week 1.

I don't take any game for granted in the NFL.  There's far less talent disparity between teams than people think, especially between good teams.  Unlike college, everyone has elite athletes and a couple of bad turnovers can flip a game no matter who is playing or what their records are.

Having said that, the Seahawks are a more balanced and complete team than either the Cowboys or Packers and with home field advantage they should be able to beat either of them if they play their game.   You have to respect Dallas' running game and Romo's passing ability but I've seen the Seahawks' defense rise to the challenge before and stuff an offense that had been looking unstoppable up to that point (the Saints and Broncos last year, for instance). 

When Dallas played in Seattle earlier in the year the Seahawks weren't playing very well at the time.  Wagner, Chancellor, and Maxwell were all playing hurt and none of them played anywhere near their usual effectiveness.  The offense was also a mess.  They were having locker room issues with Percy Harvin who wanted the offense to feature him and they were running a bunch of bubble screens and jet sweeps to try to get him the ball in space while Marshawn Lynch only carried the ball 10 times.  When Harvin pouted on the sidelines for some perceived slight and refused to go into the game for the final drive with the game on the line that was the last straw and they traded him a couple of days later.  After that they started getting back to the type of offense that helped win them the Super Bowl featuring Lynch and a power running game along with Wilson's efficient passing and running.  Since Harvin was traded the Hawks have gone 9-2 and their offensive production has improved significantly.  Addition by subtraction.  Over the past six weeks the defense has also been the healthiest its been since probably the first game against the Packers and is playing as well or better than it did last year.

As you know from how the Pats' undefeated season ended up no team is invincible in the NFL, but the way the Seahawks are playing right now I like their chances in both the NFC playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Contain Russell Wilson.  Do not over pursue.  Keep him trapped by holding your lanes.  That and time of possession 2 to 1 will do it.  That's what we did.  However, we had Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead healthy and running well.  Anyone that beats them will have to be able to pound it out if they want their pass game to be effective.  

basically this.  Lane discipline at the line and the ability to cover with just the secondary and use the LBs against the run.

against their defense you gotta be able to move players around and try to get a favorable match up such as a LB covering Gronk or Edelman.  Your top 2 options will be negated, you need the 2nd wave of options to step up and make plays

basically this.  Lane discipline at the line and the ability to cover with just the secondary and use the LBs against the run.

against their defense you gotta be able to move players around and try to get a favorable match up such as a LB covering Gronk or Edelman.  Your top 2 options will be negated, you need the 2nd wave of options to step up and make plays

Bruins/Bourque fan? Welcome to the board!  :thmup:

On topic, Seattle is a horrible match-up for the top 2 AFC seeds. Both NE and Denver would need to play a near-perfect game to beat them. They can generate pressure with limited rushers and they can cover. The Patriots and Broncos would need to run the ball very well and have a strong complimentary passing game via play-action to have any shot. 

Indy is a decent match-up with a more mobile QB and at least one burner (Hilton), but the Colts have no running game. 

Honestly I think the team with the best shot, from a personnel and match-up standpoint, is Pittsburgh, but they would need their WRs behind Brown to be productive. They'd also need a healthy Bell. 

Cincy would have no shot. Neither would Baltimore. 

Bruins/Bourque fan? Welcome to the board!  :thmup:

On topic, Seattle is a horrible match-up for the top 2 AFC seeds. Both NE and Denver would need to play a near-perfect game to beat them. They can generate pressure with limited rushers and they can cover. The Patriots and Broncos would need to run the ball very well and have a strong complimentary passing game via play-action to have any shot. 

Indy is a decent match-up with a more mobile QB and at least one burner (Hilton), but the Colts have no running game. 

Honestly I think the team with the best shot, from a personnel and match-up standpoint, is Pittsburgh, but they would need their WRs behind Brown to be productive. They'd also need a healthy Bell. 

Cincy would have no shot. Neither would Baltimore. 

I honestly see the Pats as having the best shot against that D.  I think having to plan to match up against Gronk takes them out of some things they like to do.  I changes their typical coverages because just putting a safety on him wont get it done.

the real key would be Tim Wright.  If he steps up on the other side you can really get the Seahawks uncomfortable.  And if you can get them shading linebackers towards TE coverage that opens up lanes for the power running of Gray and Blount.

NE and Seattle would be a great chess match on both sides of the ball

We all know that Seattle is a juggernaut, it seems like their defense can't be stopped. It seems like pundits feel that the Broncos can't beat Seattle, since what happened in Super Bowl XLVIII. Which AFC team in the Super Bowl..can beat Seattle if they get far?

we do ? Seattle isn't even getting in this year