Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Magic Number' is 1

1959Colts

Andrew Luck’s 12th Career Game-Winning Drive Completes Comeback Win In Cleveland

Posted 13 minutes ago

headshot-bowen-kevin.jpg Kevin Bowen Colts.com Writer

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck%E2%80%99s-12th-Career-Game-Winning-Drive-Completes-Comeback-Win-In-Cleveland/39bb06da-2b8c-48ed-a1d0-3fd2db64226b

...It was victory No. 9, preserving the Colts two-game divisional lead and shrinking the magic number in the AFC South to just one game with three weeks remaining.

Not sure the magic number is 1.  If beat Dallas but lose to Texans and Titans (and Texans win out), then Texans will win the tie break for best division record (5-1 vs. 4-2, second tie breaker).

You are correct. What is true is a win over EITHER  Tenn or Houston gives us the division as the 3rd tie breaker is common games. With today's win , we have that tie breaker. 

Not sure the magic number is 1.  If beat Dallas but lose to Texans and Titans (and Texans win out), then Texans will win the tie break for best division record (5-1 vs. 4-2, second tie breaker).

You're correct. If we lose to the Titans we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

It is ONE!

We WIN ONE GAME NEXT WEEK..... WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

ONE GAME

Do you ever get tired of being just flat wrong?

I think the appropriate thing to do here is, after seeing others reasonsing on why what you are yelling is in fact not correct, come back to the thread and say - "you know what, I got this wrong.  I did not grasp the concept - thought I did but found out otherwise.  Thanks Colts Forum members for the education."

well he sorta is, if we beat the Texans next week we are in. That's the simplest path right now. If we don't then we can't clinch until week 17 without help.

But almost everyone who follows sports knows what the term "Magic Number"  means.

So he sorta isn't right.

But almost everyone who follows sports knows what the term "Magic Number"  means.

So he sorta isn't right.

thats the thing magic numbers are different in football than say baseball or basketball if the Colts do win on Sunday they do clinch. So it sorta is a magic it sorta isn't, I think that's why you don't hear magic numbers referenced to football very often. Most people just talk about what you need to clinch.

Now Mike Chappell is saying "Magic Number" is 1

f3690ea4796a36e5a54d33f8e9363817_normal. Mike Chappell @mchappell51  ·  3h 3 hours ago

#colts magic number at 1 to clinch AFC South. 1 win in final 3, or 1 loss in final 3 by Houst. Texans visit Indy Sunday, where they're 0-12.

He's just plain wrong. A Colt win over Dallas would be "1 win in the final 3" and it DOES NOT clinch the division.