Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bye Week Mock

This is more what I would like the Colts to do since they actually have an ample supply of picks this year...

*Indy trades 1st and 2nd to move up to a top 15 pick*

1st(via trade)- Indy selects S Landon Collins

3rd- OLB Eric Striker

4th- OT Jake Fisher

5th- Best CB or DE available

6th- Same as 5th round

6th- Best WR or RB available

7th- Same as 6th round

This is more what I would like the Colts to do since they actually have an ample supply of picks this year...

3rd- OLB Eric Striker

4th- OT Jake Fisher

6th- Same as 5th round

7th- Same as 6th round

Very bold.

3rd- OLB Eric Striker

4th- OT Jake Fisher

6th- Same as 5th round

7th- Same as 6th round

I kind of like the bold move and it's a realistic scenario in terms of trade value, but there are only a couple safeties in the NFL capable of making enough impact to justify the cost of moving up.  If you earnestly believe that Collins can have Earl Thomas type of impact, then what a great move.  However, the odds are stacked against that being the case.  

I think we are all a little fixated on the safety position - and there is no doubt that we need to grow long term impact at that position - but I think we need the young blood we can acquire for our defense in the 2nd round worse than we need the best safety in the draft (or a better safety than we could draft at the end of the 1st round)

Collins is alright in coverage, Don't think I trust him as a the single high Safety type in the NFL though I do like him more then I originally did at first but I'd still pass, Im hoping to land Jaelen Strong......Though come draft night I don't think that will be realistic if he stays clean and healthy...I think he is a low to mid 4.4 40 from being a top 5-10 pick and maybe could go #1...The talent is there for it

Randy Gregory I really like

Collins is alright in coverage, Don't think I trust him as a the single high Safety type in the NFL though I do like him more then I originally did at first but I'd still pass, Im hoping to land Jaelen Strong......Though come draft night I don't think that will be realistic if he stays clean and healthy...I think he is a low to mid 4.4 40 from being a top 5-10 pick and maybe could go #1...The talent is there for it

Randy Gregory I really like

Everything I've read is that the weakest part of Strong's game is speed.

He's more likely mid-4.5's

With a little luck,  that lack of speed may push him lower in R1, and maybe all the way to the Colts.......

If we look at where the colts are going to draft, to be conservative lets say #24 or above. The draft value of our picks will have be 1080 points in trade value, and depending how the playoffs go could be worse. Regardless, that amount of points does let us get just to about the 15th pick, maybe a little better depending who we are trading with, and how much they want to move back and acquire picks. I like Collins in run support, but I am not sure of his ball skills, and that is our number one priority in a safety I believe.

One thing I do know, if a safety does well in the combine or pro day, and has some buzz going in, they will go before #15. Most mocks have Collins going in the top ten. I don't put too much into mock drafts from the pros except for the top 10. If he does well at the combine or pro day, he will go high. Alabama products always seem to go higher due to the school. Barron back in 13, went 7th to the Bucs, and they just traded him away. Everyone thought he was going to be great, and perhaps he still will be.

Regardless, keep all our picks and  hope P.J. Williams from Florida State or Ekpre-Olomo from Oregon fall to our spot. Also, we may think about Marcus Peters from Washington. He is going to fall, I just don't know how far, and if his behavior is detrimental or not.

In the second round, I would really like Cody Prewitt out of Ole Miss. I don't know if he will fall that far into the second round though. After pro days and combine, he may go much higher. Really like his ball skills.

Here is another version where we trade down from the 2nd round and get a good amount of picks in return. If a draft similar to this happened, we would be beastly at LB, OL, and WR.

Round 1 Pick 23: Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 5 (TENN): Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 23: Devonte Fields, DE, TCU (B+)
Round 4 Pick 5 (TENN): Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State (A)
Round 4 Pick 23: Adrian Amos, FS, Penn State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 5 (TENN): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma (C-)
Round 5 Pick 23: Doran Grant, CB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 6 Pick 5 (TENN): Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (C-)
Round 6 Pick 23: Terrance Magee, RB, LSU (A)
Round 6 Pick 26: Ronald Martin, SS, LSU (B-)
Round 7 Pick 20: Desmond Hollin, DT, Florida State (B)
Round 7 Pick 23: Jaxon Shipley, WR, Texas (D)