Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today's Injury List

dw49

I didn't say rating teams is wrong. I said that I don't think we can say who is and isn't elite -- the best of the best -- after 8 games. Except in rare cases. Because typically, before you grade something as elite, you observe a significant body of work.

And if we're talking about what the pecking order is, then let's do that. I think Denver is clearly tops in the AFC, but I don't think there's much distinction after that. And in the NFC, I would have said Dallas and Green Bay, but the Packers are getting trounced right now by the Saints, who have been pretty terrible so far. Maybe you see a distinction between us and the Chargers, Pats, Packers, Seahawks, Eagles, etc. I don't. I think you'll probably be rearranging that group every week, all season long. (I keep forgetting the Cardinals, but they are probably top three.) So it's kind of hard for me to exclude anyone at this point in the season, when everyone is beating up on each other.

So I don't think, like I said, that the Colts were elite based on last week's performance, and I don't think they're bad now. I didn't say you said they were bad. My point is we can lurch back and forth from one week to the next, but that doesn't really have any bearing on who the best teams are. And when you look at the season in four week increments, for instance, you can see how what you thought in October wasn't really the case. Again, I don't know why that's silly.

And the above is why people change their opinions or ratings as the season goes on. What I said is this game will end all the "elite talk" we heard this past week. You embellished and perceived something to make issue with that statement. How about I just say this... "i'll stick by my statement that this will "abruptly put an end to the elite talk." Surly you understand that ?

And the above is why people change their opinions or ratings as the season goes on. What I said is this game will end all the "elite talk" we heard this past week. You embellished and perceived something to make issue with that statement. How about I just say this... "i'll stick by my statement that this will "abruptly put an end to the elite talk." Surly you understand that ?

Not sure where I embellished anything, but sure thing. Like I said, I think the majority of the good teams in the league are bunched up together, so any ideas about elite (or not) are premature. That's what my whole point was. I'm not sure why you got so salty, but whatever.

Not sure where I embellished anything, but sure thing. Like I said, I think the majority of the good teams in the league are bunched up together, so any ideas about elite (or not) are premature. That's what my whole point was. I'm not sure why you got so salty, but whatever.

Where you embellished is the fact that you were waiting for someone to say that this is a bad team because they were so bad yesterday. You jumped at my post and when I kicked your butt because I never said that , you went into this ridiculous "too early to rate mode." If that's getting salty .. ehhh took bad. Here's what you have to say in the thread asking if we were the best team in the league...

"Let's see how we look after midterms."

Isn't that a beauty now. So I guess I was just answering your question from that thread .

Where you embellished is the fact that you were waiting for someone to say that this is a bad team because they were so bad yesterday. You jumped at my post and when I kicked your butt because I never said that , you went into this ridiculous "too early to rate mode." If that's getting salty .. ehhh took bad. Here's what you have to say in the thread asking if we were the best team in the league...

"Let's see how we look after midterms."

Isn't that a beauty now. So I guess I was just answering your question from that thread .

If I misunderstood you, then you also misunderstood me. I didn't jump at your post, and I wasn't waiting for anyone to post anything. I really didn't have to; the board is littered with posts talking about how bad we are because of yesterday's loss. I didn't have to try to extract any extra meaning from your post. I could have found it anywhere else.

My original post was mostly a general comment, especially the second paragraph. You know, "all the talk about how good anyone is is a little premature." I've always been in too early to rate mode, as your quote from another thread shows. Because I think it's too early to rate. Again, it's not like anyone aside from Denver is really pulling away in the AFC. 

Also, my comment in the other thread about looking after midterms was talking about this four week stretch, including the Pats after the bye. If we come out of that looking like one of the best teams in the AFC, that's a different story. I said the same thing a few weeks ago when someone else suggested that this is the most complete Colts team ever. It's just too early to make statements like that, IMO. 

Of course, as you said, people are entitled to changing their opinions. I like to wait until I have a lot more information before I start deciding who and what everyone is. You play hold'em, right? I don't look at my hole cards until it's my bet, that way I don't fall in love with mediocre cards and talk myself into taking bad action. That's just how I am.

If I misunderstood you, then you also misunderstood me. I didn't jump at your post, and I wasn't waiting for anyone to post anything. I really didn't have to; the board is littered with posts talking about how bad we are because of yesterday's loss. I didn't have to try to extract any extra meaning from your post. I could have found it anywhere else.

My original post was mostly a general comment, especially the second paragraph. You know, "all the talk about how good anyone is is a little premature." I've always been in too early to rate mode, as your quote from another thread shows. Because I think it's too early to rate. Again, it's not like anyone aside from Denver is really pulling away in the AFC. 

Also, my comment in the other thread about looking after midterms was talking about this four week stretch, including the Pats after the bye. If we come out of that looking like one of the best teams in the AFC, that's a different story. I said the same thing a few weeks ago when someone else suggested that this is the most complete Colts team ever. It's just too early to make statements like that, IMO. 

Of course, as you said, people are entitled to changing their opinions. I like to wait until I have a lot more information before I start deciding who and what everyone is. You play hold'em, right? I don't look at my hole cards until it's my bet, that way I don't fall in love with mediocre cards and talk myself into taking bad action. That's just how I am.

yeah.. I probably took offense when I shouldn't have... happens when medicare kicks in

That's pretty rude. You're the one nitpicking over the use of the word "proclaim."

I don't know whether anyone is elite. To mex there's little separation between the Chargers, Pats, and us. We're all behind the Broncos. I think the Cowboys and Packers are atop the NFC, but two months ago, the Cowboys were supposed to be the worst, and the Packers have a bad loss.

That's my whole point. I don't think one game in October is proof of anything, negative or positive. I said it last week. I still believe it.

Which 20 pt loss would you be referring to when talking about the Packers the one to Seattle or the one to NO? Or was the bad loss to the Lions? Point being every team gets beat.

We got beat we play the NYG next.

This board is nuts one minute we are the greatest ever the next we never going to win again. We are still one of the best teams in the AFC how far we go come play off time will be determined by how healthy we are.

Pittsburgh is a good team Tomlin is a good coach. Big Ben does have 2 Super Bowl wins. It isn't like we lost to some JV squad. They were ready to go on Sunday I am not sure we were ready to do what it took to win that game.

We beat the Giants and then get NE we will be the best ever again. It isn't even Halloween yet.   

The thing I see in common (with our defense/offense I guess) is that our offense ALWAYS gives us a chance regardless of whether or not they themselves dig their own hole or if the defense digs our hole.

In Denver I felt our defense dug the hole overall and our offense gave us a chance...with the Eagles...well our Defense didn't step up when we got in a bad situation with poor calls. Again yesterday our Defense dug the hole BIG TIME and our offense still came up with a chance for us to win it.

I just wish our D was more steady instead of so up and down. I admit they have definitely been more up than down...but not by much IMO.

We need some improvement on our offensive line for sure...not having Doyle and Richardson hurt us badly in terms of picking up the blocks and giving Luck time to throw. Don't know how anyone couldn't agree with that.

Denver gave up 50 to Dallas last year.  Scored 51 to win.  Colts scored 34 today, would've scored more with any protection for Luck at all...   on the radio Sorgi said (I was driving, listening- didn't see the game) the receivers were open, just no time to see them...

Denver's defense was nearly as good last season as they are now and although they made it to the Superbowl, their defense got blown out again.  Also, Denver didn't have a good defense going into that Dallas game.  Denver's offense was also able to keep up with Dallas' offense and they won the game.  The Colts defense was a world beater and were coming off a shutout win against Cincy.  Then they come out and give up 51 points.  Colts offensive line is just not good enough for to get into a shootout without help from the defense.