Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets (+10) @ New England (10-16-14)

oldunclemark

This is the NFL, folks. A team coming in 1-5, if they play hard and up to their potential, can surprise another team. Easily.

Give the Jets some credit, especially Chris Ivory and Geno Smith. Those guys came to play last night. They almost always play the Patriots tough, like I said yesterday. New York played with urgency and desperation, except for that first drive where it looked like half their secondary never came out of the locker room. The two Pats games are always big on the Jets' schedule... those games are like their Super Bowl. 

From what I saw, the Patriots played a lot of fronts on defense that weren't good fits for what the Jets were doing running the ball. They didn't adjust (which is disturbing) but didn't execute consistently at all. It looks like they're trying to compensate for Mayo's loss by getting a little heavier up front, so it may take a couple games to sort it all out. I'm not going to jump off the ledge about the run D unless it persists as a major issue. They've had trouble in three games (Miami, KC, and this one) and I think it has more to do with scheme and execution than it does overall talent. 

Like I said, you've got to give the Jets some credit... they played their best game of the season last night. In the past five days they've given New England and Denver really good fights (don't forget, the Broncos sealed their win on a pick-six by Talib, on a drive where the Jets had a chance to tie it up late with a TD and 2-point conversion). 

That's the NFL. The other guys get paid too, and a win is a win. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're 5-2 and in first place.

The more success the harder SOS meaning no team has played a tougher schedule than the Patriots over the last 15 season. Fact.

The only thing winning has to do with strength of schedule is that you play two teams who finished at the same position in the previous season in their divisions, in this case the Colts and the Bengals.   Beyond that everything else about the teams on the schedule has been predetermined since realignment.

But as I said, the previous 14 years have absolutely nothing to do with this year's team.

The colts are a great team I also blame our OC partially for the eagles loss he should have just ran the damn ball on 3rd down and kicked the east my FG

Ok so GB, Detroit and NE are normal but the Colts are great? If they're so great shouldn't they deserve a capitol?

I like the if, if ,if arguments.

Who's saying NE has a super awesome D? They're the same bend don't break they've been for years now and 31st against the run.

You shouldn't embarrass yourself trying to grade cornerbacks. Revis is playing pretty well right now. They all get beat sometimes.

Richard Sherman is awful because he gave up yards last weekend .

Yep, Bogie is brilliant.

The

As I said, there were a few big plays (which were mostly complete breakdowns by the Jet defense rather than anything special New England did).

Yes, they are in one of the weakest 3 divisions this season (AFC East, AFC South, NFC South).

As for the winningest team in the last 15 years, those other 14 teams are not on the field, only this year's team and it is nothing special.

A few big plays? The Pats put up 323 yards of offense and 27 points in NINETEEN minutes. Brady tooled on their defense for what little time he had the ball and won the game.

Can we stop with the weak division thing? The Pats have already lost to Miami and played a nail biter last night. They have only ever swept their division twice in the Brady era. 10 games are played outside the division and the Pats have the same winning percentage against those teams as they do within the division. And for a Colts fan to talk about a weak division is pretty weak given the two worst teams in football currently reside in the AFC South.

This is the NFL, folks. A team coming in 1-5, if they play hard and up to their potential, can surprise another team. Easily.

Give the Jets some credit, especially Chris Ivory and Geno Smith. Those guys came to play last night. They almost always play the Patriots tough, like I said yesterday. New York played with urgency and desperation, except for that first drive where it looked like half their secondary never came out of the locker room. The two Pats games are always big on the Jets' schedule... those games are like their Super Bowl. 

From what I saw, the Patriots played a lot of fronts on defense that weren't good fits for what the Jets were doing running the ball. They didn't adjust (which is disturbing) but didn't execute consistently at all. It looks like they're trying to compensate for Mayo's loss by getting a little heavier up front, so it may take a couple games to sort it all out. I'm not going to jump off the ledge about the run D unless it persists as a major issue. They've had trouble in three games (Miami, KC, and this one) and I think it has more to do with scheme and execution than it does overall talent. 

Like I said, you've got to give the Jets some credit... they played their best game of the season last night. In the past five days they've given New England and Denver really good fights (don't forget, the Broncos sealed their win on a pick-six by Talib, on a drive where the Jets had a chance to tie it up late with a TD and 2-point conversion). 

That's the NFL. The other guys get paid too, and a win is a win. 

I really wish Patricia or Bill or someone on defense blitzed a little more. Rushing Geno with only 3 or 4 lineman all game was a ridiculous game plan. The Chargers blitzed him at will and sent him to the bench for the second half. We have the secondary now to man up so I don't get why we are not more aggressive. It's not like the Jets have any receivers outside of Decker that strike any fear.

Ok so GB, Detroit and NE are normal but the Colts are great? If they're so great shouldn't they deserve a capitol?

I like the if, if ,if arguments.

Sorry my team didnt just barely beat the Geno led jets and didnt get smashed by the chiefs do believe the weak teams we have faced we destroyed and pulled our starters but ok

Oh yeah can't forget getting beat by the dolphins lol

Pats may be an alright team but this crap from the media and their fans is old I'm done with the whole the pats are great because of what they've done in the past nonsense

The ref moved Hightower to avoid the Patriots getting a 5 yard penalty and a rekick.

Under NFL rules, defenders have to line up outside the shoulders of the long snapper on a field goal attempt. It's a penalty to stand directly above the long snapper: Hightower was over the long snapper, in an illegal position, before the ref intervened.

hightower-jets-patriots-ref.jpg

The ref moved Hightower to avoid the Patriots getting a 5 yard penalty and a rekick.

Under NFL rules, defenders have to line up outside the shoulders of the long snapper on a field goal attempt. It's a penalty to stand directly above the long snapper: Hightower was over the long snapper, in an illegal position, before the ref intervened.

You're wrong .

By rule, Hightower has to be within 1 yard of the LOS.

He was 2-3 yards behind.

Please learn that rule .

As VL pointed out he was not at the LOS and furthermore was barking out play calls . . . that is why he came close to the LOS . . . you see him back off later in the play so he had no intention to line up in an illegal position . . . on top of this, a ref intervening is not that unusual like a ref telling a WR to move back when he is line up in the neutral zone . . .

Sorry my team didnt just barely beat the Geno led jets and didnt get smashed by the chiefs do believe the weak teams we have faced we destroyed and pulled our starters but ok

Oh yeah can't forget getting beat by the dolphins lol

Pats may be an alright team but this crap from the media and their fans is old I'm done with the whole the pats are great because of what they've done in the past nonsense

What and awesome well thought out and informative post. Thank you.

The Jets lead the league in sacks going into last night game so I guess they're a great team.

don't see where you have any evidence that were not a great team our only losses are against the broncos and eagles two very good teams your team has lost to Mia and KC and squeaked by the Jets

Your credibility is shot.

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, October 17, 2014 - Unhid by mistake!
Hidden by SteelCityColt, October 17, 2014 - Unhid by mistake!

What and awesome well thought out and informative post. Thank you.

Just replying to your stupid nonsense you and the other troll always show up to let's us know how great the pats are like we give a rats *

don't see where you have any evidence that were not a great team our only losses are against the broncos and eagles two very good teams your team has lost to Mia and KC and squeaked by the Jets

I wasn't aware evidence was needed. The Colts are good not great as any reasonable fan will tell you.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - quoting removed post

Just replying to your stupid nonsense you and the other troll always show up to let's us know how great the pats are like we give a rats *

Maybe you'd be better off in the "Colts Football" section. You do understand this is the Patriots-jets thread right? 

Hey just pointing out what's been circulating. I can't tell he's 2-3 yards away on TV.

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb. How can you not tell approximately how far of the line he is? Have you ever noticed those little marks every 3 feet on the field.

I wasn't aware evidence was needed. The Colts are good not great as any reasonable fan will tell you.

Well I'm just going by what you guys say the pats are good to you guys and were better just assumed we are great my bad

If losing to the phins blownout by the chiefs and barely beating the jets is good then I would just assume only losing to other great teams and smashing terrible teams would make us great

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - skirting the filter
Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - skirting the filter

No excuse needed. If you don't want to hear about the Patriots staying off a Patriots thread would be a great start.

It's created for the colts fans to discuss the game funny you a** bags never go to your own forum

Well I'm just going by what you guys say the pats are good to you guys and were better just assumed we are great my bad

If losing to the phins blownout by the chiefs and barely beating the jets is good then I would just assume only losing to other great teams and smashing terrible teams would make is great

You need to watch more football. The league doesn't work like that.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, October 18, 2014 - quoting removed post

It's created for the colts fans to discuss the game funny you a** bags never go to your own forum

No it was created for sensible fans to talk civilly about games and issues not pertaining directly to the Colts. 

Hey they do that all the time don't ya know?? Just ask our local pats trolls

Or you can ask these guy's.

Conspiracy theories swept across social media after video emerged of a ref helping the New England Patriots avoid a five-yard alignment penalty just before blocking a field goal at the end of regulation to beat the New York Jets, 27-25, on Thursday night.

But an NFL spokesman told Tom Pelissero of USA Today Sports that the ref moving Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower out of an illegal position over the center just before the snap "is a standard officiating procedure that occurs regularly."

NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino confirmed the statement, saying that umpires will routinely remind players to stay off the center as a player safety precaution.

No it works the same for every team (not you or me). What one team did against another has zero impact or meaning other than being a common opponent.

nonsense I've seen enough from the pats trolls I know you use all excuses and then when another teams fans say that it don't count your buddy amfootball does it all the time