Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today's NFL: Corrupt ot Not?

King Colt

Not to be mean, but to my knowledge Goodell does not run a babysitting service.  These are grown men doing awful things.  If I did it or even missed a couple of days of work when I was still working I would have lost my job instantly.

I cannot fathom this disrespect for children and women.  Men getting beat up as well....but really not the issue on this one.

The players are his product. He MUST invest them. It's not like he does not have the money ...

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually do that sort of thing. Google the rookie symposium every player is required to attend. I guess they could make college players with violent convictions ineligible to be drafted but that might be a constitutional violation of some kind. But that would be a deterrent. The nfl arrest percentage is still much lower than the national average, so someone is doing something right considering the age of the players

Yes, they have done some good things recently but they have to do more. Goodell, I hope is devising a plan of action on this right now as that really IS the answer not more punishing.

And the NFL having a lower percentage then society is immaterial. And of course as the popularity of the sport grows, the more attention each offense receives. It is no argument at all for him to say that his league is lower than the national average. He needs to address the issues in his league which right now has the perception of being out of control. And as we know, perception is reality.

False narrative

Truth be told, people didn't give a * % until now. What's that say about us?

Absolutely nothing because previous to this we expected the law to punish people who broke the law.  

In fact if we where smart we would be demanding that criminals be allowed to keep their job as the #1 factor in re-offending is the inability to get a job.

But see we arn't smart, we're just ticked off, so we do stupid crap which causes the criminals to re-offend because society wants nothing to do with them and then we write them off as bad people who can't be helped.  The actual reality is we didn't try to help them because we don't want to help them.  

We don't want justice. . . we want revenge.

Yes, they have done some good things recently but they have to do more. Goodell, I hope is devising a plan of action on this right now as that really IS the answer not more punishing.

And the NFL having a lower percentage then society is immaterial. And of course as the popularity of the sport grows, the more attention each offense receives. It is no argument at all for him to say that his league is lower than the national average. He needs to address the issues in his league which right now has the perception of being out of control. And as we know, perception is reality.

Perception is reality for those who get their opinions watching CNN and don't think for themselves

Perception is reality for stupid people.  Smart people do research and learn facts. 

What's ultimately sad is how many stupid people we have in the world.  

The NFL has never had this set of circumstances that has snow balled out of control. What does that say about the league and commish?

What "circumstances"? You mean being launched headlong into a digital age of instant communication and liberalism? If so, I agree.

The players are his product. He MUST invest them. It's not like he does not have the money ...

Owners and GMs...coaches also go through extensive interviews...they are closer to the players.  I know Pagano talks to Colts players when they are off on how to act.  We still have the drug issues etc.  Young men go home and simply do not follow the rules/laws. 

Goodell cannot control what happens in one's personal life.  He is not God-ell.

I never remember talk of major sponsors pulling out and issuing public service announcements, do you?

Just like the Colt's donation to a domestic violence charity it's the flavor of the day.  Everyone has got to go out there and make sure everyone knows that they don't think beating up women and children is a good thing.  

Which is what leads to our silly over-reactions and faux outrage.  

I never remember talk of major sponsors pulling out and issuing public service announcements, do you?

They haven't talked of pulling out, again self serving, look how good we are, public service announcements. Do you think AB wants to do research into how many people who drink their products end up in jail after drinking a case of their product?

Owners and GMs...coaches also go through extensive interviews...they are closer to the players.  I know Pagano talks to Colts players when they are off on how to act.  We still have the drug issues etc.  Young men go home and simply do not follow the rules/laws. 

Goodell cannot control what happens in one's personal life.  He is not God-ell.

That would be a start. Get the GMs and coaches involved on this level with their players. It has to come from those closest to the players. And of course, you can't ultimately control anyone but this approach would have far reaching benefits vs. just punishing after the fact.

They haven't talked of pulling out, again self serving, look how good we are, public service announcements. Do you think AB wants to do research into how many people who drink their products end up in jail after drinking a case of their product?

I agree. AB looks ridiculous in some ways given their product BUT again, I never remember a time when major sponsors made such statements about the NFL. That was the point.

THAT'S BECAUSE MEN DON'T CARE, or at least they never did before. 

Lemme shine some light.....

Women, I love 'em. They are the better half, I don't care if that sounds sexist, I just don't. Women are why this is a big deal now. Women have the sense we men lack, attention to detail and an ability to remain empathetic on levels that many men just don't.

Over the last several years the NFL has launched a furious campaign to snare female viewers. Breast Cancer Awareness is a sterling example of this, but there are many more, including women's NFL apparel lines and many other clever tactics. This strategy has worked, upping female viewership by a metric ton. 

Men will look the other way, women will not. They get involved. 

I agree. AB looks ridiculous in some ways given their product BUT again, I never remember a time when major sponsors made such statements about the NFL. That was the point.

That's because their hasnt been this much uninformed outrage before. Where was the outrage for Leonard Little killing a woman in 1998? He went to a Pro Bowl in 2003. Where were all of these sheep then?

Women, I love 'em. They are the better half, I don't care if that sounds sexist, I just don't. Women are why this is a big deal now. Women have the sense we men lack, attention to detail and an ability to remain empathetic on levels that many men just don't.

Over the last several years the NFL has launched a furious campaign to snare female viewers. Breast Cancer Awareness is a sterling example of this, but there are many more, including women's NFL apparel lines and many other clever tactics. This strategy has worked, upping female viewership by a metric ton. 

Oh boy. Are you serious with this? Are you saying men don't care about a woman getting knocked out or child abuse? That this is all a feminist driven agenda?

That's because their hasnt been this much uninformed outrage before. Where was the outrage for Leonard Little killing a woman in 1998? He went to a Pro Bowl in 2003. Where were all of these sheep then?

There was outrage but the NFL did not prop itself up as the moral police back then either. You can't have it both ways.

That is also highly false that men don't care.  Most men don't think beating up women and children is acceptable.  

However in our silly rush to let everyone know that we think criminals are bad we have completely failed to look at these things with any sense of logic.

And this is why criminals constantly re-offend.  Because we have no logic about it, we're just outraged and we hate criminals and we don't want to help them.  Because in our stupid society if you try to actually help a criminal turn his life around by maybe giving him a job and a stable income you are accused of not caring about his victims. . . because if you really cared about his victims you would join society in it's quest to make sure that there are more victims by denying his life any income or stablity almost ensuring that he re-offends.

Oh boy. Are you serious with this? Are you saying men don't care about a woman getting knocked out or child abuse? That this is all a feminist driven agenda?

No. We just don't want to hear it. Which is why we haven't.

Do you know what N.O.W. is? 

Look it up, and cross-reference that with what they have to say about the NFL. 

There was outrage but the NFL did not prop itself up as the moral police back then either. You can't have it both ways.

So if they had not started punishing players for off field issues, that would have been the better road in your position? They haven't tried to be the moral police. They tried to hold players accountable after they were convicted of crimes.

Leonard Littles situation was little more than a blip on the national radar He wasn't cut by his team, hell he didn't even go to jail. This latest "outrage" is being fueled by *s that need their opinions force fed to them by networks looking for ratings.

I am not sure how a woman's org being vocal about domestic violence and child abuse means that men don't want to hear it.

So if they had not started punishing players for off field issues, that would have been the better road in your position? They haven't tried to be the moral police. They tried to hold players accountable after they were convicted of crimes.

Leonard Littles situation was little more than a blip on the national radar He wasn't cut by his team, hell he didn't even go to jail. This latest "outrage" is being fueled by *s that need their opinions force fed to them by networks looking for ratings.

I think you let the law handle it. As soon as Goodell made the moral policy that the NFL would look at punishing players even if they were not convicted of a crime is when he opened the Pandora's box. This is what has caused the outrage. He has not been consistent. Roethlisberger gets 6 games with no conviction of rape and Rice gets two games after being found guilty of abuse. You can't set yourself up above the law and think the results will go smoothly. It is a no win. And it has put the teams in a terrible position as they want to wait for due legal process but can't which is why we now have the special commish exempt/suspension list.

I am not sure how a woman's org being vocal about domestic violence and child abuse means that men don't want to hear it.

Do you really think NFL players only recently started committing domestic violence? Or do you think it's more reasonable to think that there's been a paradigm shift of late, not coincidentally arriving at the same time the NFL saw a sudden vast surge of female viewers? 

These "crimes" have always existed among players. I say "crimes" in quotes not to belittle the act, but to belittle the action taken back in the day. If a player got arrested for domestic violence at all, it would be surprising. But if they did, they got a pat on the back and full support when they returned to the locker room. 

Not the point of the original post. The point is cover up and lying.

Oh, you mean the insinuation that they did? Tune it tonight when we discuss the conspiracy 9pm EST. 

Several of you people in this thread need to sit down, think about this, and consider whether or not you've been a bit manipulated by the media's false narrative. I know it's hard, a bit pride unsettling to acknowledge your naivety, but it must be done. 

Oh, you mean the insinuation that they did? Tune it tonight when we discuss the conspiracy 9pm EST.

Several of you people in this thread need to sit down, think about this, and consider whether or not you've been a bit manipulated by the media's false narrative. I know it's hard, a bit pride unsettling to acknowledge your naivety, but it must be done.

This FTW

My opinion of NOW is lower then just about any non criminal organization in the world.  I could care less what NOW says.  In fact if NOW says Goodell should resign (which I know they did) that in and of itself makes me a supporter of Goodell.  I never really thought too much of him before that, but now I think he is a great commissioner who deserves a raise.  

And for the record most but not all of the women I know have a similar opinion of NOW.  

NOW considers my wife to be a misogynist.

I will avoid continuing further because it brings politics into it too much but honestly the National Organization of fewer and fewer women isn't nearly as important as the media thinks they are.  

Oh wow a whole 38 out of 1700 players!!!  That's like 2.2%

While among the general population it's more like 3.9%

"The estimated arrest rate for the United States in 2012 was 3,888.2 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants. "

Source: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/persons-arrested/persons-arrested

So the treatment of NFL players as though they are somehow worse then the general population is demonstrably false.

This is all the product of the media and it's faux outrage.  I mean I can't blame them really, they have nothing better to do.  A 24 hour news cycle is kind of hard to fill.  So you have to find something to get outraged about.  Then they get the public and other interest groups outraged about something they never cared or paid attention to before.  

It's ridiculous is what it is.  It's a moral panic and it's a witch hunt at the same time.

You also miss the original point which is cover up and lying. Many poster here are putting it all on the commish but I ask where are all the assisstants, coaches, local media types that also lie and cover up. I equate the long running LIE to the treatments of players after the game is over for them. They are thrown out with the morning trash and it took the pressure from outside to create more humane treamtent of former players.  So they lie to protect the bad guys and sqirt on the palyers that are no longer of any use to them. It is on these two truths that I say the NFL is in part organized crime.  This is not exclusive to the NFL as we all know but stop saying "we are all angels" because you are not so like other organisations discipline someone once in a while without having the rest of the country force you to.

My opinion of NOW is lower then just about any non criminal organization in the world.  I could care less what NOW says.  In fact if NOW says Goodell should resign (which I know they did) that in and of itself makes me a supporter of Goodell.

And for the record most but not all of the women I know have a similar opinion of NOW.  

NOW considers my wife to by a misogynist

I never showed support for NOW. Where did you get that idea?

I told you people like 145 times now. Women got involved, things changed, the boyz club took down their sign and things changed. Men certainly didn't start beating their wives in the last 6 years, but female viewership went up by some 1,234,667,830%

My point wasn't to support NOW's message. Only to put on display some causation for this sudden outrage over behavior that has existed for decades. 

You also miss the original point which is cover up and lying. Many poster here are putting it all on the commish but I ask where are all the assisstants, coaches, local media types that also lie and cover up. I equate the long running LIE to the treatments of players after the game is over for them. They are thrown out with the morning trash and it took the pressure from outside to create more humane treamtent of former players.  So they lie to protect the bad guys and sqirt on the palyers that are no longer of any use to them. It is on these two truths that I say the NFL is in part organized crime.  This is not exclusive to the NFL as we all know but stop saying "we are all angels" because you are not so like other organisations discipline someone once in a while without having the rest of the country force you to.

What "lies" are you talking about? Is there any proof to what you say, or just more media nonsense? 

I never showed support for NOW. Where did you get that idea?

I told you people like 145 times now. Women got involved, things changed, the boyz club took down their sign and things changed. Men certainly didn't start beating their wives in the last 6 years, but female viewership went up by some 1,234,667,830%

My point wasn't to support NOW's message. Only to put on display some causation for this sudden outrage over behavior that has existed for decades. 

You want to know why this outrage suddenly started.  

It's very simple

And NFL player hit his fiance and it was caught on video tape.

And that's why people and the media jumped on this train.  That's it.  If he would have hit her in the privacy of their home, no one would have batted an eye including NOW.

It takes video tape or a death to make the public pay attention to things like this.  When I was in school no one freaking cared if I got beat up in school for being a "nerd". (Usually by more then 1 person, because nerds don't just deserve beatings they deserve gang beatings.)  Many at the time would have said it was good for me.  The school officals would of course turn a blind eye as they usually do until there is death or bad publicity.

Then some kids killed themselves and some other incidents got caught on video.  That's when people started caring.  

And I'm not mad about that I'm really not, I'm glad people started caring about it.  But it just demonstrates what it takes for people to care.

The reason no one cared about me getting beat up in middle school was that I never killed myself (for which I'm glad), and I didn't have an iphone on hand to video tape it. 

And school officials don't care unless someone dies or they get some other form of bad publicity.  

I'm considering not watching football anymore. All it is is a compilation of greedy owners, players and a shmuck of a commissioner. 3\4 of nfl players are downright thugs/druggies. I just can't take it anymore to be honest.

I think your assessment that 3/4 of the NFL players are thugs/druggies is way off base. There are over 2,000 players in the NFL and the percentage of thugs/druggies as you call them is lower than the average of everyday people. We are talking about 5 players out of 2,000? That is a real low percentage.

A scooch confused.... Gaddafi in Egypt? Sadat was in Egypt. Gaddafi did try to create an Islamic State with Egypt. His work was done in Libya. And....he is dead. I think you knew that though.

I'm 18 and as such do not pay attention to politics but yes you are probably right. Either way, people revolted (ie doing what they wanted to do) and couldn't be controlled. It isn't the NFLs problem that players do things, they are just like everyone else, contrary to popular belief that they are gods among men.

What I don't get is why doesn't Roger Goodell just step down? It would be the "honorable" thing to do. Get a new face in and let them have a go at it. Goodell has been a commissioner long enough (since Aug. 8th, 2006).

Goodell was hired by the owners and he is the mouthpiece for the owners. He don't have near as much power as you think he does. Goodell is in a tough spot. Who's job is it to pass out judgement before a conviction is known? Our judicial system is based on assuming innocent till proved otherwise. Right or wrong that's the way it is. Our laws protect all of us from being pre sentenced till after found guilty. Don't get me wrong and think I am sticking up for Goodell or the players who are accused. It's just we have laws of the land through our constitution that must be enforced no matter what our opinions are in regarding to guilt or innocence.