Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today's NFL: Corrupt ot Not?

King Colt

I think the outrage is faux

I think they are Inappropriately outraged at the nfl

It's not about abuse it's about wanting to rage at the nfl

They will not be enraged at the next case they here of unless it is connected to the nfl

Ultimately I think it's about enjoying vilifying someone

I agree with the comment that the outrage is fake. I think some are looking for any reason to blame the NFL in general for the actions of a few. I think the outrage is more political so to speak than anything else.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, there may be circumstances (though I can hardly fathom them) where the female is the aggressor and the victim cannot block and leave.  We are not talking weapons here, or martial arts trained females. But I get your peeve of painting with a large brush.. you're correct, I'm referring to even a (verbally) provoked attack on a female

I know, I know.  The issue is with me.  I know the circumstances are few and far in between.  In the vast majority of cases, what you said is true.  Like I said, not indicting you or anything.  That's the very last thing I intended.

It doesn't, but it was a dark time for the league. One of their players lost his life

It wasn't a dark time for the NFL. It might be appropriate to call it a sad time, but there was no misconduct or scandal connected to that incident as far as the NFL was concerned

Absolutely nothing because previous to this we expected the law to punish people who broke the law.

In fact if we where smart we would be demanding that criminals be allowed to keep their job as the #1 factor in re-offending is the inability to get a job.

But see we arn't smart, we're just ticked off, so we do stupid crap which causes the criminals to re-offend because society wants nothing to do with them and then we write them off as bad people who can't be helped. The actual reality is we didn't try to help them because we don't want to help them.

We don't want justice. . . we want revenge.

You made thought-provoking points in many of your posts on this thread. I appreciate your outside the box thinking in this post. I think this approach to rehabilitating those convicted of wrongdoing would be a lot more effective than the conventional one which looks to punish rather than rehabilitate.

Like many other posters here, I don't see doom and gloom for the NFL. This will eventually blow over. My interest in football and the NFL has not waned one bit despite my disappointment in individual players. I am against domestic violence and child abuse but I don't blame the NFL for the actions of a miniscule percentage of its players.

There are arrests in the nfl every year. Th Ray Rice video made it a major issue with people who don't follow the league. This isn't something new. It is just being publicized more. An over reaction to some degree. But none of this is the NFLs fault, and calling for people to be fired is ignorant, unless goodell lied about seeing the video before suspending ray the second time

You're either not reading my posts,  or you're working too hard at missing the point.

The issue with the arrest isn't the punch or the video itself.

First, it's the 2nd game suspension which was universally hailed as a horrible decision.

When the video came out,  the Goodell said "I never saw it and no one in my office saw it."

Then came the FBI audio tape of some anonymous NFL employee who says....    "Yes,  it looks horrible..."

So,  now we have to have the former head of the FBI investigating the NFL to see who got the tape and if they saw it and if they did, why didn't the tape get to Goodell?    Why was Goodell made to look like an incompetent?

The tape comes out and Goodell adjusts the punishment to an indefinite suspension.    And many people say,  "why are you doing that?    How do you think Rice's fiance became unconscious?   She didn't faint.   Of course he hit her."   

So,  Goodell can't win.    First he pisses off people for a punishment that's too mild...   and then he pisses off other people for looking like he's covering his rear because he should have known that Rice hit his fiancee even if he never saw the tape.

The NFL and Goodell look spectacularly incompetent in the way they've handled this.

Suddenly,  they look ridiculous at how they've handled Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald and Adrian Peterson....   it goes on and on and on.....

The NFL looks like the Three Stooges.     They've been the best run league for decades.    And in a span of a few weeks they look like total buffoons.

This isn't the media turning a mole hill into a mountain.    This is the NFL creating a mountain due to a Perfect Storm of incompetence,    learning how to deal with social media,   understanding the severity of certain crimes  and failing to deal with the NFL Players Association.

Goodell could lose his job over this.   I'm not predicting this....   but it's possible.   And three weeks ago I would not have believed it.    But that's how far this has come.

Not a normal few weeks.    Not a media-made controversy.

It's because people believe they caught goodell in a lie

That's what has them all fired up

Wouldn't be any outrage without it

I actually find this quite disturbing

Perceived pr blunder > criminal offense

It's not just a lie......

Because if it wasn't a lie,  then it's massive incompetence inside the NFL office.

And a lack of social awareness over how all this should be handled.

2 game penalty for Ray Rice?      Hailed by everyone as a terrible decision.

Greg Hardy still playing even after being found guilty? (he's appealing)    People wonder why it took so long to sit him down.

Ray McDonald still playing when Harbaugh and the 49ers said they had no tolerance for this?     People still wondering why McDonald is still playing.    Even Jerry Rice said today the 49ers are making a bad mistake.

The Adrian Peterson fiasco?     Another mishandled situation.    The teams are taking their lead from the NFL and are floundering just as the league office is.

This is much more than Goodell might've been caught in a lie....

It's not just a lie......

Because if it wasn't a lie,  then it's massive incompetence inside the NFL office.

And a lack of social awareness over how all this should be handled.

2 game penalty for Ray Rice?      Hailed by everyone as a terrible decision.

Greg Hardy still playing even after being found guilty? (he's appealing)    People wonder why it took so long to sit him down.

Ray McDonald still playing when Harbaugh and the 49ers said they had no tolerance for this?     People still wondering why McDonald is still playing.    Even Jerry Rice said today the 49ers are making a bad mistake.

The Adrian Peterson fiasco?     Another mishandled situation.    The teams are taking their lead from the NFL and are floundering just as the league office is.

This is much more than Goodell might've been caught in a lie....

Quick question; Do you use a standard wooden spoon or do you break out the sterling silver spoon when you decide to devour the garbage that's placed before you? Either way, you seem to find drama and media hyperbole quite delicious. 

...massive incompetence...

Compared to what, exactly? Give me an example of another industry or business involved in a similar incident that you could use as a control for you to arrive at the conclusion of "massive incompetence".

It's time to stop repeating what you hear on the TV and think for yourself. So let's hear it, think for yourself and answer. 

Quick question; Do you use a standard wooden spoon or do you break out the sterling silver spoon when you decide to devour the garbage that's placed before you? Either way, you seem to find drama and media hyperbole quite delicious. 

Compared to what, exactly? Give me an example of another industry or business involved in a similar incident that you could use as a control for you to arrive at the conclusion of "massive incompetence".

It's time to stop repeating what you hear on the TV and think for yourself. So let's hear it, think for yourself and answer. 

Oh I don't know... how about Bud Selig and Major League Baseball, for one...

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2014/09/featured-post-selig-declares-baseball-a-social-institution.html/

And they are now reviewing and potentially revising their domestic violence policy as the NFL is caught behind it's procedures....

I am getting a bit tired of hearing some posters claiming this is all fake drama and people who are upset are just buying into the nonsense the media spews. Look, I don't even WATCH or READ the media babbling very often. I hate American media and propaganda. If it were up to me we would have regulated television and media coverage in general. I could live with 3 tv channels and black and white tv.

I don't think it is fair to belittle people who are genuinely disgusted that a league they follow closely completely mismanaged and probably lied about evidence concerning domestic violence. And that the Vikings looked stupid reversing the decision to let Peterson play. Oh he was playing vs. the Saints........then everyone complained and the sponsors started to kick in threats......okay sorry Adrian you can't play now. Money talks.......but don't abuse anyone in the meantime shall ya, we still hope to get your fine athletic butt back on the field someday.

Some of us genuinely do care about these issues, period. And the NFL looks like a bunch of lunatic rich men right now to me running around pulling rules out of their butts and trying hard not to lose money and a squeaky clean image. 

Sure, I get that this has been happening for years without a media outrage. I get it. And you know what? SO WHAT. That was then and this is now. Live in the here and now and stop acting like it is a crime to care at times.  People are becoming more aware of these issues and are upset too. And if they are upset I feel they have a right to express anger and I feel they have the right to express emotions. Acting like people can't think for themselves or that they think it is a fake outrage incident and people just want Goodell fired as a villain are belittling the feelings of many who ARE genuinely upset/concerned. I feel like many want to say "stop caring folks......go back to sleep and watch Manning and Rodgers wrack up the stats. No worries, all duh parents in the South beat duh kids at times and men sometimes lose control when they fight with a woman." Sigh.

Personally I have always loved football to an extent and I knew that players did stuff and never got caught. But, that does not mean any anger I have is because I am watching freaking tv because I am not. I barely even watch games anymore unless it is the Colts anyway and I make up my own mind on things. I am an independent thinker. Most of the football news I get now is here actually from reading......period. 

And in the end this could lead to a whole lot of nothing. Nothing major might come out of it. We have a way of brushing things over in America. But, if people want to be upset or express disappointment in the meantime and they are not technically breaking any rules then IMO they have a right to do so.

Anyway, yeah I am done with this thread. Just wanted to add in my extra 5 cents.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2014/09/featured-post-selig-declares-baseball-a-social-institution.html/

And they are now reviewing and potentially revising their domestic violence policy as the NFL is caught behind it's procedures....

I may be wrong but I am under the impression that the NFL is also reviewing their domestic violence policies. Are they not?

(BTW, I was not familiar with this site Metsmerizedonline. I am a lifelong Mets fan. I have to check it out. Thanks.)

That's reactionary to the current news regarding the NFL.

OF COURSE other leagues are getting in line.

I'm talking precedential examples. Give me examples from the past where a better precedent can be observed, since we're vilifying the NFL with colorful terms like "massive incompetence" and "corruption". 

I am getting a bit tired of hearing some posters claiming this is all fake drama and people who are upset are just buying into the nonsense the media spews. Look, I don't even WATCH or READ the media babbling very often. I hate American media and propaganda. If it were up to me we would have regulated television and media coverage in general. I could live with 3 tv channels and black and white tv.

Then you understand the media and how they create a narrative to inflame and intrigue viewers as a means of reassuring they'll come back for more? Good. We have something to work with here at least. 

I don't think it is fair to belittle people who are genuinely disgusted that a league they follow closely completely mismanaged and probably lied about evidence concerning domestic violence.

Myself and some others don't get the disgust being so concentrated directly and specifically at the league. This is unprecedented. By "this" I mean the public winding up into flailing histrionics over athletes and domestic violence. I'm giving the league credit here, giving them time to adjust to what appears to be a paradigm shift in the public's desire for pro-sports leagues to hold players far more accountable for disturbing, offensive behavior. 

After all, it is kinda "our" fault, isn't it? We, as the American public, were far too distracted and detached to really show any emotion over past instances of such behavior. That....that is why I'm being cool about this, in regard to holding disdain for the league. 

Sure, I get that this has been happening for years without a media outrage. I get it. And you know what? SO WHAT. 

Again, this is the fault of the American public. Do you have a mirror? Go stare in it and you'll see who's the guilty party. You are, Jules. And me. And Nadine. And Jvan and everybody else here. It really is time to cease the nonsense verbiage of "corruption" and "lies". No proof exists of either, these are just dramatic buzzwords that get peoples attention. 

This is a time for us to cut some slack to the league on the grounds that we, as the American public, have been far too docile in regard to bad behavior from athletes. Due to the fact that they wouldn't have such careers without us. These teams wouldn't have stadiums to play in without us, and being that they carry a city's name with them, they are effectively ambassadors for the city they derive their namesake from. ....and we're just now stepping up and demanding accountability? We blindsided the league with our sudden interest in their internal politics and disciplines. 

As far as personal remarks and/or belittling. I make no apologies whatsoever if I say something abrasive to a poster that's behaving ignorantly about Goodell, as if he's some iron fisted dictator whose greed and corruption is destroying this league. I'll take any one of you over my proverbial knee in a junkyard minute for displaying such ignorance in a public format. Not that I'm some rogue fan or staunch supporter of Roger. I just can't take the ignorance anymore, people need to learn what Roger's place actually is in the NFL before they start the talkin'. It's time to come together, not react divisively and attack the NFL.

I feel it's fair to term much of this as "phony" or "fake" when people don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

I think the outrage is faux

I think they are Inappropriately outraged at the nfl

It's not about abuse it's about wanting to rage at the nfl

They will not be enraged at the next case they here of unless it is connected to the nfl

Ultimately I think it's about enjoying vilifying someone

I am sorry but you could not be more wrong. The NFL has failed miserable on many accounts the last three weeks. This isn't about abuse or domestic violence but the manner in which the NFL has handled or should I say mis-handled these very serious issues.

I think your problem is you think she's picking a side. That's not what she's doing at all. 

People want to suddenly act like the NFL is ignoring domestic violence, when this sort of thing has always occurred and the general public didn't particularly seem to care. It's of some value to shine the light on these facts so as to perhaps give people some pause and perspective in concern to how villainous the NFL really is. 

The public is outraged over the handling of these serious issues not the issues themselves.

You're either not reading my posts,  or you're working too hard at missing the point.

The issue with the arrest isn't the punch or the video itself.

First, it's the 2nd game suspension which was universally hailed as a horrible decision.

When the video came out,  the Goodell said "I never saw it and no one in my office saw it."

Then came the FBI audio tape of some anonymous NFL employee who says....    "Yes,  it looks horrible..."

So,  now we have to have the former head of the FBI investigating the NFL to see who got the tape and if they saw it and if they did, why didn't the tape get to Goodell?    Why was Goodell made to look like an incompetent?

The tape comes out and Goodell adjusts the punishment to an indefinite suspension.    And many people say,  "why are you doing that?    How do you think Rice's fiance became unconscious?   She didn't faint.   Of course he hit her."   

So,  Goodell can't win.    First he pisses off people for a punishment that's too mild...   and then he pisses off other people for looking like he's covering his rear because he should have known that Rice hit his fiancee even if he never saw the tape.

The NFL and Goodell look spectacularly incompetent in the way they've handled this.

Suddenly,  they look ridiculous at how they've handled Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald and Adrian Peterson....   it goes on and on and on.....

The NFL looks like the Three Stooges.     They've been the best run league for decades.    And in a span of a few weeks they look like total buffoons.

This isn't the media turning a mole hill into a mountain.    This is the NFL creating a mountain due to a Perfect Storm of incompetence,    learning how to deal with social media,   understanding the severity of certain crimes  and failing to deal with the NFL Players Association.

Goodell could lose his job over this.   I'm not predicting this....   but it's possible.   And three weeks ago I would not have believed it.    But that's how far this has come.

Not a normal few weeks.    Not a media-made controversy.

Well said and spot on. The issue is NOT the crimes but the mis-handling of the crimes by the NFL. 

The Three Stooges line is both funny and accurate. Well done.

I am sorry but you could not be more wrong. The NFL has failed miserable on many accounts the last three weeks. This isn't about abuse or domestic violence but the manner in which the NFL has handled or should I say mis-handled these very serious issues.

They handled it more severely than any other commissioner before them. So how is it a big deal now, and not in years past?

The public is outraged over the handling of these serious issues not the issues themselves.

The obvious point of contention I'll post is that the NFL has handled these issues at or above the norm compared to industry/business out there. That's not saying we shouldn't ask/demand a better handling, but to attempt to claim the NFL has handled these issues any differently than we've seen any other industry/business handle them, well it's not fair. Dirty pool, if you will. This point is being ignored over and over again. 

The NFL is reacting accordingly imo, as these matters were always handled in a manner that waits for the criminal justice system to speak on it. 

We're heading in a direction that will likely lead to overreaction and there will be collateral damages, severe ones. I'm predicting that soon we'll see a case where a player is arrested for domestic violence, losses his endorsements, gets booted from his team losing his contract.....only to find out int the end that the accusations were false and the player was the victim of either vindictiveness or a set-up. 

I feel it's usually best to wait until guilt is determined. With a caveat toward the severity of the accusation, of course. I don't think anyone wants a player on the field that is accused of something truly disturbing, when the cursory evidence looks real bad toward the players guilt. Hence why pro sports leagues typically do their own investigation, and if they see something that indicates potential guilt, they deal with the player. 

I suppose it's human nature, but people tend to assume guilt on the back of only an accusation, especially when celebrities are concerned. 

The obvious point of contention I'll post is that the NFL has handled these issues at or above the norm compared to industry/business out there. That's not saying we shouldn't ask/demand a better handling, but to attempt to claim the NFL has handled these issues any differently than we've seen any other industry/business handle them, well it's not fair. Dirty pool, if you will. This point is being ignored over and over again. 

The NFL is reacting accordingly imo, as these matters were always handled in a manner that waits for the criminal justice system to speak on it. 

We're heading in a direction that will likely lead to overreaction and there will be collateral damages, severe ones. I'm predicting that soon we'll see a case where a player is arrested for domestic violence, losses his endorsements, gets booted from his team losing his contract.....only to find out int the end that the accusations were false and the player was the victim of either vindictiveness or a set-up. 

I feel it's usually best to wait until guilt is determined. With a caveat toward the severity of the accusation, of course. I don't think anyone wants a player on the field that is accused of something truly disturbing, when the cursory evidence looks real bad toward the players guilt. Hence why pro sports leagues typically do their own investigation, and if they see something that indicates potential guilt, they deal with the player. 

What are you basing your first sentence on exactly? Do you have a link to another business that has handled these issues like the NFL in the last 3 weeks? And just because others have may have done a poor job does not excuse the NFL for its incompetence.

This opens up an incredibly huge can of worms . .   

IMO it is NOT the NFL's job to be the "moral compas" of the US.     but .. Roger chose that path...   and "embraced" .. it..

Where is he now?

The NFL has NO business getting in the biz if "moral righteousness"    OK Roger... 

The NFL is a microcosm of our society.                The "hammer" Roger G once was a staple of ...   "good deeds"  ..

Now?   Hello Roger?      Where is our hammer yielding hero..     ??    Come on out sport, you only make 44m per to "BE the FACE OF ;the NFL"    hmmmmm?

My favorite quote of all time ...      "stupid is as stupid does" ...       GUMP

The lack of responses and the given responses to the ongoing domestic violence issues has to raise many eyebrows as to something called "decency" and" integrity". Minnestoa's sudden turnaround is so incredibly see through they should pay a fine for being insincere. Now SF joins the little group of kids getting caught with their fingers in the cookie jar and now suspends their bad boy. Where is one statement from the commish? With all the political women's rights female politicians in SF not one word from anyone but Pelosi has fianlly spoken up. The NFL to me has elevated itself like a snake crawling up a chlid's backside. Heck, even Florida State reacted quickly to their bad boy. Peterson's insane defense that his father did it so it's OK. What if his father raped his daughters? And yet no word of indifference to this by the Vikings of the commish. Do not think for one second that there are not bundles of other cases the NFL has not acted on as they hushed them all up. Watching all of these persons representing their respective teams offer up these meeley mouth, spineless excuses for no discipline in favoer of winning has to stop....now! The only reason the teams are finally moving on these issues is sponsors...period, i.e, M-O-N-E-Y.

The long standing saying, "Winning is not everything, it's the ONLY thing" has never come to light as it has recently.

What are you basing your first sentence on exactly? Do you have a link to another business that has handled these issues like the NFL in the last 3 weeks? 

You want me to find proof of something that doesn't exist? Because, no other industry that I'm aware of (save for media figures) has handled employees/associates with such consequence. Kobe Bryant being shaken down by a lying witch, may be an example of other leagues allowing a player to remain put in the shadow of serious accusation. 

Accusation, even arrest, shouldn't lead to total ostracizing of a player. 

And just because others have may have done a poor job does not excuse the NFL for its incompetence.

We're now in the realm of "accepted standard". And we, the American public, dictated to the pro sports leagues in our nation what the acceptable standard is. Much of that changed due to people being forced to actually see what serious domestic violence looks like. We required a visual. We got it, and we did not like it. 

You want me to find proof of something that doesn't exist? Because, no other industry that I'm aware of (save for media figures) has handled employees/associates with such consequence. Kobe Bryant being shaken down by a lying witch, may be an example of other leagues allowing a player to remain put in the shadow of serious accusation. 

Accusation, even arrest, shouldn't lead to total ostracizing of a player. 

We're now in the realm of "accepted standard". And we, the American public, dictated to the pro sports leagues in our nation what the acceptable standard is. Much of that changed due to people being forced to actually see what serious domestic violence looks like. We required a visual. We got it, and we did not like it. 

Then why did you say that? It is unprecedented, the mishandling. And the NFL is the ones that set themselves up as the moral police so please STOP blaming the media. It is beyond ridiculous.

Again, more incompetently and perhaps dishonestly as well which is why Roger is having himself investigated.

So doing nothing in the past is more competent than trying to impose some sort of punishment?

Also, do you think goodell would have had himself investigated if he had something to hide? Think for a minute

Then why did you say that? It is unprecedented, the mishandling. And the NFL is the ones that set themselves up as the moral police so please STOP blaming the media. It is beyond ridiculous.

Why do you use the word "mishandled" as an indictment of ill intent? Even if one could honestly say they feel it was mishandled (and a few things sure could have been handled better), why do you speak of it as if this is egregious, conspiratorial, agenda driven, or nefarious?

People make mistakes. Businesses, sports leagues, everybody goofs up, and nothing I'm seeing is so bad, so unforgivably incompetent that we need to start demanding heads roll. Is that what you want? Do you want Goodell fired? Do you think that changes anything going forward? I mean, he is the NFL's $45,000,000 puppet. 

The only people befitting this level of outrage, are the pond scum that decked his wife and the lazy eyed muscle bound hulk that apparently thought it wise to terrify his baby boy with a branch. 

Why do you use the word "mishandled" as an indictment of ill intent? Even if one could honestly say they feel it was mishandled (and a few things sure could have been handled better), why do you speak of it as if this is egregious, conspiratorial, agenda driven, or nefarious?

People make mistakes. Businesses, sports leagues, everybody goofs up, and nothing I'm seeing is so bad, so unforgivably incompetent that we need to start demanding head roll. Is that what you want? Do you want Goodell fired? Do you think that changes anything going forward? I mean, he is the NFL's $45,000,000 puppet. 

I personally think some NFL owners are pulling Goodells strings behind closed doors, Not all but I could see a few doing this

OK, I just disagree that the scale of public reaction is anything close to appropriate.  'failing miserably on many counts' 'mishanding very serious issues'....... translates to 'he gave the wrong punishment, said he had gotten it wrong, changed the punishment to what the public wanted, a video came out......and the public thinks he saw it and lied about it.  Another athlete charged with abuse, team leaves him active.....and changes that the next day to what the public wanted.......turns out other athletes are guilty of things too (as are a lot of people).......and now the public is furious'

None of what the NFL did changes the abuse that occurred and none of it will prevent it from happening again......same thing with the public outrage, it's not going to have an effect on abuse.

Anger and outrage are dangerous.  People justify extreme behavior because they are 'outraged'..... I am not a fan of that......ever

And I think the outrage in this case is misplaced and extreme.

I have been outraged by things before.......just never anything like this.  If you choose to believe that because of these events...the NFL is perilously corrupt, that's your choice.

But I think the public wants to keep the 'scandal' going.......they want to see Goodell suffer......they want their anger sated.

It's very bizarre to me.  I think we let this play out.  For goodness sake there's an investigation on this so there will be further discussion.  Meanwhile my impression is that people are making Goodell out to be this horribly corrupt sherrif, like this

OK, I just disagree that the scale of public reaction is anything close to appropriate.  'failing miserably on many counts' 'mishanding very serious issues'....... translates to 'he gave the wrong punishment, said he had gotten it wrong, changed the punishment to what the public wanted, a video came out......and the public thinks he saw it and lied about it.  Another athlete charged with abuse, team leaves him active.....and changes that the next day to what the public wanted.......turns out other athletes are guilty of things too (as are a lot of people).......and now the public is furious'

None of what the NFL did changes the abuse that occurred and none of it will prevent it from happening again......same thing with the public outrage, it's not going to have an effect on abuse.

Anger and outrage are dangerous.  People justify extreme behavior because they are 'outraged'..... I am not a fan of that......ever

And I think the outrage in this case is misplaced and extreme.

I have been outraged by things before.......just never anything like this.  If you choose to believe that because of these events...the NFL is perilously corrupt, that's your choice.

But I think the public wants to keep the 'scandal' going.......they want to see Goodell suffer......they want their anger sated.

It's very bizarre to me.  I think we let this play out.  For goodness sake there's an investigation on this so there will be further discussion.  Meanwhile my impression is that people are making Goodell out to be this horribly corrupt sherrif, like this

Many fans have had it out for Goodell from day one, This just fuels that fire, Also making a decision based on emotions usually does not turn out so good. Many don't seem to get that the owners and players are the ones with all the money and where the money lies there lies the power

Many fans have had it out for Goodell from day one, This just fuels that fire, Also making a decision based on emotions usually does not turn out so good. Many don't seem to get that the owners and players are the ones with all the money and where the money lies there lies the power

I think the money and power plays into this.  Just my impression.  I've seen it brought up......we pay for this so we demand immediate......yada yada

I have no idea why people have to have immediate and severe penalties for 'his failing as the moral police' when they seem to also be hostile to his past role as such'

It's all circular to me.  Anyway, I get moral outrage at corporations.......like the BP Oil spill and things of that nature.  Gross negligence for profit that ruins businesses, communities, and the environment.

the NFL issue here is nowhere near that scale.  I think people caught Goodell in what they perceive as hypocrisy and they like scandal.....and so here we are.

So doing nothing in the past is more competent than trying to impose some sort of punishment?

Also, do you think goodell would have had himself investigated if he had something to hide? Think for a minute

Are you serious? The NFL in the past let the legal authorities handle legal issues. Goodell is the one that became the moral police for behavior HE determined to be detrimental outside of the legal process. It is all well and good to want to improve the league but his incompetence as to the handling if his OWN policy is the issue here. Just because his intentions were good does not excuse the results of the last three weeks. 

In terms of the investigation, it is being done independently and we will see what they find. Remember Bountygate when he had a Taglibue come aboard who promptly reversed his suspensions? Again, these are things that have only happened on his watch.  

Do congressmen beat their wives or children???  

Not trying to make fun of what you said, I'm just genuinely curious as to how we can say we are holding congress to lower standards?

Well, lets just say  I don't think it's "exclusive" to the NFL.    

And certainly not wanting to get into any political discussions here,  that is against Board Rules.