Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

running the ball vs letting luck loose

CR91

How arE we getting better on both sides of the ball? The D  has stunk for years and they try to keep patching it up with cast offs from other teams instead of drafting lb's and db's and let them get some experience

Are you going to have an Ah Ha moment if I give you an answer?  You're not even looking for one in the first place, just making complaints in order to bait an argument.  Reality would tell you can't even do what you're speaking on offense and defense in 3 years by just drafting picks alone.   Especially as bare as this team was.    

Are you going to have an Ah Ha moment if I give you an answer?  You're not even looking for one in the first place, just making complaints in order to bait an argument.  Reality would tell you can't even do what you're speaking on offense and defense in 3 years by just drafting picks alone.   Especially as bare as this team was.    

but signing guys like Toler and watching him get bbq 4 times a game in a winning formula?

Running the Ball vs. Letting Luck Loose is a false choice.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It can be both.

We ran the ball great Monday night.    But our passing game was terrible.    If we could coordinate our passing game as well as our running game looked,  we'd be in great shape.

We can have both.....   if we have the coaching to do it....  and the players can stay healthy....

I believe in letting Luck loose and scoring points early (especially with the weapons we have), then once you have a lead run the ball to run out the clock not allowing your opponent's offense to get on the field. Now with our struggles in the run game, we may have to supplement short passes for our closing running game.

I believe in letting Luck loose and scoring points early (especially with the weapons we have), then once you have a lead run the ball to run out the clock not allowing your opponent's offense to get on the field. Now with our struggles in the run game, we may have to supplement short passes for our closing running game.

What struggles with the run game? The ones from last year?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/09/18/colts-offensive-coordinator-pep-hamilton-unaffected-by-criticism/15841361/

An article typed out by Stephen Holder (Dated September 18th)along with quotes from Pep Hamilton about the Eagles game.... He admits there are some calls he wished he had back and that there was chances to get chunk plays as well as also makes it clear for those that did not know what the plan was going into the Eagles game...Reduce the number of possessions the Eagles had thereby reducing the chances of the Eagles offense hurting the team.

In my opinion I think it would help if he sat up in the booth so he could look down and see everything from above as well as sprinkle in some sight adjust for the offense.

How I believe the offense is currently ran is Pep calls a play...perhaps Andrew gives Pep an occasional idea of what he wants to do...maybe more then occasional......But I believe Pep calls a play and Andrew also has 3 audibles he can go to along with the play called in the huddle based on look of the defense, down and distance ect.......

While I believe that "dumbs" certain parts of the mental part of the game down I also believe that limits our offenses true potential...Most of us know how dangerous a team can be with the QB and receiver (and again I mean receiver as in TE as well or FB or RB) on the same page and all he has to do is give a signal to a receiver based on a defensive look and watching that defense get tore up....But lets all remember that took years to accomplish, That was not an overnight deal and it certainly did not happen within the time of Peytons rookie contract

Hopefully this changes over time as the team and corps players become familiar with the intricacies of not only the playbook but how to maximize there potential at there own position as well as do the little things at there position that go a long way but I don't think that's going to happen this year and honestly may not for some time

I broke all I wanted to say up the best I knew how here so as to not have everyone feel like it was a whole lot to read for those that simply don't want to take a lot of time reading a long drawn out paragraph, Hope this helps

I remember several going his way, each time they where overthrows because Fletcher had really good coverage.  

The reality of it is that he isn't getting open deep.  

I don't know if that's just sort of how it goes, it's not like he was open deep in every game last year, sometimes he was sometimes he wasn't.  Or it could be that defensive coordinators have game planned around preventing him from going deep because of what he's done previously.

I remember watching the Denver game and they told us that Denver's DC said he gameplan was "Keep TY Hilton in front of you"

Well, the reality is we don't need many bombs anyway. But an intermediate passing game would at least be nice.