Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin And Faulk

manningstheman

Looking back, I'm not so sure it wasn't Manning making them look and feel good.

umm your talking about a hall of famer and soon to be hall of famer. Peyton was very lucky to come into a team that had both these players. If you actually watched these early games you would see that Faulk carried this team, and Peyton was always looking for Harrison. So yes, they did carry him when he was a young punk in this league.

umm your talking about a hall of famer and soon to be hall of famer. Peyton was very lucky to come into a team that had both these players. If you actually watched these early games you would see that Faulk carried this team, and Peyton was always looking for Harrison. So yes, they did carry him when he was a young punk in this league.

Then Faulk carried them to a 3-13 record. Quite the accomplishment. He was the primary receiver as well, not Marvin.

They went 13-3 the following year without him, which was also the first year that Marvin might have been considered a star (his fourth in the league). It's true that at that time Peyton wasn't yet capable of making players like Blair White look competent, and I do believe that Marvin is a HOF caliber player, but I wouldn't assume that he would have been anywhere near the player he became without Peyton. It's a chicken/egg situation.

If we had a rookie QB next year, he would benefit enormously from Wayne and Clark in particular. Don't assume that we lack quality skill position players based on this year. They can't catch the ball if it isn't thrown to them, and the ball can't get thrown to them if the QB is getting constant pressure, and can't handle it. Hopefully next year the line will be better, and whomever the QB is will have a much more stable environment.

Yes, Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk made Manning a better QB. If you disagree with that you are a clown and need to go watch those games.

Jerry Rice made Montana and Young look good and made them better QB's. Once again, if u disagree you are a, yes a clown.

You do realize that we have a lot of veterans on this team, right? We do have guys that have been through the good and the bad and are more than willing to teach other guys. Saturday, Clark, Addai, Reggie, all of those guys will help Luck. Sure, they aren't as good as Marvin and Marshall, but show me any team that has a Marvin and Marshall-esque players on their roster.

Yes, Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk made Manning a better QB. If you disagree with that you are a clown and need to go watch those games.

Jerry Rice made Montana and Young look good and made them better QB's. Once again, if u disagree you are a, yes a clown.

Montana won 2 Superbowl without Rice.....

yeh for qb to wr its more the relationship, knowing what they are going to do. The qb making the right call to exploit something, then each doing their part, qb great throw to a how the heck did he get open wr

similar with running back, see the D, call a play, but olines gotta dominate and keep the gaps. then its up to the rb.

I'm not sure how Marshall falls into the equation of making Manning that much better. They only played together for one year :facepalm:.

That being said I'm sure Manning was grateful for the year they played on the same team it has nothing to do with how great Manning ended up becoming or his legacy. Marvin is a different story, they played and worked together for years.

IF the Colts draft Luck, he might even have the opportunity to work with Manning (who knows). He also could work with Sat, Dallas, Addai, (possibly Reggie) who have a wealth of knowledge. It's not like Luck is an :*:.

Reggie, dallas, Saturday, Addai.

Is that enough?

We do have veteran leadership on this team, if nothing else.

It just hasn't been needed because manning's personality trumps everyone else.

I agree with this. A young QB would have plenty of seasoned vets to look up to and learn from on this team. These guys are talented enough to cover for a rookie QB if he makes a few mistakes. The only question is, can they all stay healthy? All of these players are getting older, and a couple have been injury prone in recent years.

Well, a fantastic offense, one similar to PM's. He has (assuming Reggie retires when Luck starts) Pierre, Collie, Clark (maybe), and probably a better O-line with a good running. He has the players he needs to succeed and grow confidence with.

I'm not sure how Marshall falls into the equation of making Manning that much better. They only played together for one year :facepalm:.

That being said I'm sure Manning was grateful for the year they played on the same team it has nothing to do with how great Manning ended up becoming or his legacy. Marvin is a different story, they played and worked together for years.

IF the Colts draft Luck, he might even have the opportunity to work with Manning (who knows). He also could work with Sat, Dallas, Addai, (possibly Reggie) who have a wealth of knowledge. It's not like Luck is an : *:.

Well i said that comming into a league as a rookie and starting right off the bat that having marvin and faulk made him more comfortable. He was able to lean on these two to make plays for him and help him out. I didnt really say they made him better. But, to be great, it sure helps to have a few HOF to lean on early in a career.

Also, all the players on the Colts that are suppose to make a rookie feel comfortable and look better sure havent been able to help Painter, Orvlovsky, or Collins look or feel comfortable at all. I have a feeling is Faulk( even James) and Marvin were on the team in there prime that we would a few wins at least. These are players that could make plays on there own. JMHO anyways.

Manning himself said that being able to lean on these players comming into the league helped him to grow and have confidence. What will Luck have to make him feel this way if he is drafted by he Colts now?

Well Peyton Manning might be a big start.

Also I think we keep Wayne just because we don't have anything close to a number one WR on this roster other than him even at his age.

After watching Luck closely the past few weeks the man loves tightends so I would expect us to keep Dallas even with a down year this year so I am sure Dallas will have something to offer to him as well as Addai.

Those guys might not have been the stars Faulk and Harrison were (Manning excluded) but they have all been good players for us for a long time and have been in the NFL for a long time and I am sure can teach Luck a thing or too. Also I wouldn't be shocked if we brought Saturday back for one more year either for one last run with Peyton or to take some heat off the new rookie QB here in his first season.

Montana won 2 Superbowl without Rice.....

Yes he did, but the fact still remains Rice did make Montana a better QB just as Montana made Rice a better WR. It goes hand and hand with a great QB and a great WR, normally you don't see one without the other.

Make no mistake about it having guys like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge, and, Faulk have all helped make Manning a better player. Why do you think Polian has always looked to get as much talent as he can for Manning? With that said Manning has helped all of those players (and most of them more than they have helped him) be better players as well. It's a two way street. Do you really think Peyton Manning would have been as good if he was playing with Aaron Moorehead and Roy Hall at WR and Chad Simpson at running back his whole career?

Well i said that comming into a league as a rookie and starting right off the bat that having marvin and faulk made him more comfortable. He was able to lean on these two to make plays for him and help him out. I didnt really say they made him better. But, to be great, it sure helps to have a few HOF to lean on early in a career.

Yes but when peyton came into the league both marvin and faulk werent who what they are now, HOF players. and peyton only played with faulk for 1 year, and they wen 3-13