Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex-Colts look good for SD

oldunclemark

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wager?

It's close enough that a wager could be made. The two teams are neck and neck right now, but I would still go with the Chargers. They beat Denver last year, and got better this year too as Denver is starting to have problems with their offense recently. This can be the year where Rivers steps up and proves that he is an elite QB.

What bee got under your bonnet  your certainly on a roll today.   :sheepaid:

No. I've been claiming for months now that the Chargers are going to win the AFC West. A thread pointing out how good their players are can merit responses like mine.

It's close enough that a wager could be made. The two teams are neck and neck right now, but I would still go with the Chargers. They beat Denver last year, and got better this year too as Denver is starting to have problems with their offense recently. This can be the year where Rivers steps up and proves that he is an elite QB.

The chargers beat the broncos once last year. The broncos beat the chargers twice. As long as Manning is the qb, the division will belong to the broncos

The chargers beat the broncos once last year. The broncos beat the chargers twice. As long as Manning is the qb, the division will belong to the broncos

Once twice or seven times they still beat them. Which is what I said. The other two games were decided by seven or less....I still say the Chargers give them a run for their money. The Chiefs are a team to watch too but they will finish third.

Once twice or seven times they still beat them. Which is what I said. The other two games were decided by seven or less....I still say the Chargers give them a run for their money. The Chiefs are a team to watch too but they will finish third.

So you see going 1-2 against them as a positive?

So you see going 1-2 against them as a positive?

Seven points in the other team's favor and the roles of 1-2 would be switched just like that. These are two big competitors in the AFC and they show it whenever they face each other.

They will be a wild card team but won't win the west. I can definitely see them beating Denver in the playoffs though. I think the Chargers are a dark horse team in the AFC that could get to the SB.

Yeah I could see them going all the way too. They certainly have the offense and the QB for it. That defense is looking good under Pagano too.

As always, our ones played one maybe two series against Seattle (can't remember for sure), but Seattle's #1 offense played the entire half.  Not enough time to adjust to the noise and make a run for it.  Not worried about it.  Also, because we play them in week 2 we showed absolutely no cards.  All 3 preseason games, Rivers has been incredible % and yardage.  15 of 18 for the preseason.  Today was 9 for 10 for 85 yards.  The one incompletion was to TE LaDarius Green and was dropped.

Our D looked solid against the ones of SF, really solid.  Lots of pressure on the QB and tight coverage by the secondary.  Much better tacking than we've seen in a long time.

As to our 3 games with Denver last year - the playoff game darn near ended up a different outcome until we had I think 5 starters injured in the 3rd qtr.  We were paper thin and that was enough to derail our changes.  However, had we won that game, we were so thin I couldn't imagine the SB game ending up much differently than it did.  

I don't think we win the division unless the Broncos continue to be decimated with injuries and we escape the bug.  We're still a year away from being fully rebuilt to depth.  Next year we're out of salary cap heck.  

I think playing Seattle in week 2 between GB and Denver...

The Hawks will be ripe for a knock down..in San Diego...in week 2

////backs coming out of the backfield will hurt Seattle because they play man on your WRs/.

,,and with Danny Woodhead and now Brown..that's a strength for SD..

....That's going to be a very interesting afternoon. I still think so..

....If SD is going to win the West..they'd probably have to beat Seattle or SF ..and beat Denver in December in SD

the SF game is at SF...so Seattle at SD is crucial

Seven points in the other team's favor and the roles of 1-2 would be switched just like that. These are two big competitors in the AFC and they show it whenever they face each other.

Chargers are gonna be a good team, I think, and even have a chance at the division if the Broncos stumble. But head to head, the Broncos were clearly better last year, and on paper, have improved their team (returned Clady and Miller, added Ware and Ward). Your argument basically consists of 'the Chargers were almost there last year.' Not too compelling.

Chargers are gonna be a good team, I think, and even have a chance at the division if the Broncos stumble. But head to head, the Broncos were clearly better last year, and on paper, have improved their team (returned Clady and Miller, added Ware and Ward). Your argument basically consists of 'the Chargers were almost there last year.' Not too compelling.

Uh, no, not really. I was pointing out how the loss of Welker will impact the offense and how the Chargers got better too, not just the Broncos. When a team can play an opponent like the Broncos close for three games you know they have a chance to eventually come out and top. We can go the paper route with the Broncos too. On paper the Broncos look better on defense. But we have to see it in action before we go giving them the crown of the division again.

No, not really. I was pointing out how the loss of Welker will impact the offense and how the Chargers got better too, not just the Broncos. When a team can play an opponent like the Broncos close for three games you know they have a chance to eventually come out and top. We can go the paper route with the Broncos too. On paper the Broncos look better on defense. But we have to see it in action before we go giving them the crown of the division again.

Are you burying Welker? No one knows how long he'll be out, yet. I don't know if we can refer to him as being lost.

The Chargers are probably better as well. I think they'll be a strong team, but the Broncos are very clearly the favorites in the division. Both are better "on paper," but we have to see what happens as they start playing real games.

And multiple times you've referred to the matchups last season. Close matchups don't mean you're eventually going to win. 

I don't think there's a huge chasm between the two games, but again, the Broncos are the consensus favorite for good reason. It's fine to pick the Chargers, but that's an underdog pick.

Are you burying Welker? No one knows how long he'll be out, yet. I don't know if we can refer to him as being lost.

The Chargers are probably better as well. I think they'll be a strong team, but the Broncos are very clearly the favorites in the division. Both are better "on paper," but we have to see what happens as they start playing real games.

And multiple times you've referred to the matchups last season. Close matchups don't mean you're eventually going to win.

I don't think there's a huge chasm between the two games, but again, the Broncos are the consensus favorite for good reason. It's fine to pick the Chargers, but that's an underdog pick.

I don't know, concussions are severe and we know how teams like to handle them now. Slowly and surely. I only referred to the other games because of Jvan's neverending notion that the Broncos are somehow untouchable within the division. I never said my pick was the popular one but I don't mind rooting for the underdog.

I don't know, concussions are severe and we know how teams like to handle them now. Slowly and surely. I only referred to the other games because of Jvan's neverending notion that the Broncos are somehow untouchable within the division. I never said my pick was the popular one but I don't mind rooting for the underdog.

Usually, the team with the best qb wins the division. Manning is the best qb in the division

Concussions are serious, but until the Broncos say Welker won't play, I don't count him as a loss. Some concussions are considered less severe than others, and players get back on the field after a couple weeks. It's not even certain that he's going to miss the opener, although I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

No one is untouchable, and nothing is guaranteed. But a Manning QB'd team hasn't lost a division since 2008, and that was due to a bad start. It's just not a good bet, IMO. If I were picking division winners right now, I'd start with the Broncos and the Pats, and there would be no second thoughts. And again, I like the Chargers this year (and I kind of like the Dolphins, too). 

That's not how it always works. Hell, look at the NFC South and East, the AFC North...

Kind of proves the point. The Eagles and the Bengals got the best QBing in their divisions last year. You might argue that Romo and Roethlisberger are better than Foles and Dalton, but not based on last year's results and production by itself.

You'd have to argue that you think Rivers will have a better year than Manning. Even longer odds...

Concussions are serious, but until the Broncos say Welker won't play, I don't count him as a loss. Some concussions are considered less severe than others, and players get back on the field after a couple weeks. It's not even certain that he's going to miss the opener, although I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

No one is untouchable, and nothing is guaranteed. But a Manning QB'd team hasn't lost a division since 2008, and that was due to a bad start. It's just not a good bet, IMO. If I were picking division winners right now, I'd start with the Broncos and the Pats, and there would be no second thoughts. And again, I like the Chargers this year (and I kind of like the Dolphins, too).

Point taken with the concussions. I think Welker will miss the opener but I hope he plays. I know the Patriots and Broncos are the class of the AFC and they are everyone's pick but I'm down for certain teams to play spoiler. I'm not liking what is going on in Miami though. They'll finish third in the division I think if they're lucky.

Kind of proves the point. The Eagles and the Bengals got the best QBing in their divisions last year. You might argue that Romo and Roethlisberger are better than Foles and Dalton, but not based on last year's results and production by itself.

You'd have to argue that you think Rivers will have a better year than Manning. Even longer odds...

Nah teams win divisions, and games. It's never just on the QB like the OP stated. Quarterbacking is a huge part of it, no doubt, but if Rivers has a game with three TDs all the defense has to do is make sure Manning only gets two. Manning can have all the stats but the wins when they matter are what it will come down to.

Point taken with the concussions. I think Welker will miss the opener but I hope he plays. I know the Patriots and Broncos are the class of the AFC and they are everyone's pick but I'm down for certain teams to play spoiler. I'm not liking what is going on in Miami though. They'll finish third in the division I think if they're lucky.

Spoilers are fun, especially if your team isn't a division winner... ;)

AFC East is interesting, outside of the Pats. The Dolphins should get above average QB play from Tannehill, Mike Wallace should be better this year, their running game should be improved with Moreno and an upgraded offensive line. 

The Bills have a chance to catch fire on offense, and they have some guys up front on defense. But without Byrd and Alonso, they'll probably struggle.

The Jets are limited by QB play and no offensive capability, I think. Their defense is good enough for 8-9 wins, but they could also lose 6 games in a row at any point.

I'd rank them Pats, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, based on potential this season. But any of them, outside of the Pats, could fail miserably and finish in last place.

Spoilers are fun, especially if your team isn't a division winner... ;)

AFC East is interesting, outside of the Pats. The Dolphins should get above average QB play from Tannehill, Mike Wallace should be better this year, their running game should be improved with Moreno and an upgraded offensive line.

The Bills have a chance to catch fire on offense, and they have some guys up front on defense. But without Byrd and Alonso, they'll probably struggle.

The Jets are limited by QB play and no offensive capability, I think. Their defense is good enough for 8-9 wins, but they could also lose 6 games in a row at any point.

I'd rank them Pats, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, based on potential this season. But any of them, outside of the Pats, could fail miserably and finish in last place.

Hey everyone loves the underdog, just ask Rudy :) Yeah I think the Jets are going to surprise and who knows, if Tannehill can survive behind the line they have in front of him and Moreno steps up then they can compete for second too. I'm not at all convinced by the Bills, I think they will for sure finish last again lol.

Nah teams win divisions, and games. It's never just on the QB like the OP stated. Quarterbacking is a huge part of it, no doubt, but if Rivers has a game with three TDs all the defense has to do is make sure Manning only gets two. Manning can have all the stats but the wins when they matter are what it will come down to.

Easier said than done. Manning had 55 TDs in 15.5 games last year, average of 3.5 TDs/game. 

Now, he only threw two TDs a piece in the last two games against SD. They have a good defense. But so do the Broncos, especially if their acquisitions and returning players perform.

I'm not suggesting that QBs win games, but it's easier to win games when you have a good QB, and generally, the better your QB is, the more likely you are to win games. Which is clearly supported by how many games the teams with elite QBs win, percentage wise. And specifically the Broncos with Manning, who have won more regular season games in two seasons than anyone else (which translates to division titles).

Look at all of the division winners last year. Outside of Carolina the team that won the division had the best qb.