Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Delano Howell neck injury looks to be serious

TKnight24

There aren't any safeties I can realistically see being traded.

Maybe just grab one of the Seahawks cuts since they're so deep on their roster

Or grab Sunseri if he wasn't such a big part of the defense for Rob Ryan. Rob's gonna make him a star this year

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can always sign someone after cuts

Or knowing Mr. Grigson trade away a big pick for someone.

Anything is possible when Mr. Grigson is your GM

Fleener, Whalen and a second (or first) for Eric Berry. I'm calling it now lol. That's actually a solid trade I think. There were rumblings that Berry could get moved for a first before the draft. By moving Fleener, Indy doesn't have to re-sign as many people from that amazing 2012 class plus they move someone whose been a relative bust (I'm hoping Swoope becomes something special a la Julius Thomas or Antonio Gates). By moving Whalen, they clear out a logjam at receiver and free up some snaps for Rogers and Moncrief plus Purify could theoretically fill in as a returner. The Chiefs add a reliable receiver and a potential mismatch hybrid tight end to one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. Chiefs also don't have to pay big money to a safety and have some more wiggle room financially to re-sign Justin Houston and Alex Smith.

Fleener, Whalen and a second (or first) for Eric Berry. I'm calling it now lol. That's actually a solid trade I think. There were rumblings that Berry could get moved for a first before the draft. By moving Fleener, Indy doesn't have to re-sign as many people from that amazing 2012 class plus they move someone whose been a relative bust (I'm hoping Swoope becomes something special a la Julius Thomas or Antonio Gates). By moving Whalen, they clear out a logjam at receiver and free up some snaps for Rogers and Moncrief plus Purify could theoretically fill in as a returner. The Chiefs add a reliable receiver and a potential mismatch hybrid tight end to one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. Chiefs also don't have to pay big money to a safety and have some more wiggle room financially to re-sign Justin Houston and Alex Smith.

No

1. Why would the chiefs make that trade?  He is the lone bright spot on a suspect secondary and a player they are trying to build that defense around.
  2. If Whalen is taking snaps from Rogers and Moncrief it's because he has earned those snaps.  Which means Moncrief and Rogers has not earned those snaps, so why give something to someone who has not earned it?
  3. Under what criteria is used to label Fleener a bust (relative or otherwise)?

1. Why would the chiefs make that trade?  He is the lone bright spot on a suspect secondary and a player they are trying to build that defense around.
  2. If Whalen is taking snaps from Rogers and Moncrief it's because he has earned those snaps.  Which means Moncrief and Rogers has not earned those snaps, so why give something to someone who has not earned it?
  3. Under what criteria is used to label Fleener a bust (relative or otherwise)?

1. He is injured with tendonitis currently I think. He's also previously torn his ACL and is seemingly always nicked up because of the way KC uses him and it seems like his body just can't take it in that scheme (maybe that's just me). Also, I believe there defense is more focused around their front seven that includes Derrick Thomas, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dontari Poe.

2. I have no doubt that Whalen has earned those snaps, but I doubt how much potential he has. I think best case scenario, Whalen is a fourth option on a good team whereas Rogers and Moncrief both have the ability to be the first or second best option.

3. I think that, to this point, Fleener is a bust because he's been outplayed by two of his teammates, both of whom were selected after him in the same draft. He's built like Jimmy Graham but he plays like Dallas Clark's last season here. He just doesn't seem to have the right mentality. He doesn't seem like he's the type to ever come out and dominate his match-up and take over a game like he should. I remember watching a game last season where he caught the ball and turned up field, he sees a corner and runs out of bounds and I just shook my head.

1. He is injured with tendonitis currently I think. He's also previously torn his ACL and is seemingly always nicked up because of the way KC uses him and it seems like his body just can't take it in that scheme (maybe that's just me). Also, I believe there defense is more focused around their front seven that includes Derrick Thomas, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dontari Poe.

2. I have no doubt that Whalen has earned those snaps, but I doubt how much potential he has. I think best case scenario, Whalen is a fourth option on a good team whereas Rogers and Moncrief both have the ability to be the first or second best option.

3. I think that, to this point, Fleener is a bust because he's been outplayed by two of his teammates, both of whom were selected after him in the same draft. He's built like Jimmy Graham but he plays like Dallas Clark's last season here. He just doesn't seem to have the right mentality. He doesn't seem like he's the type to ever come out and dominate his match-up and take over a game like he should. I remember watching a game last season where he caught the ball and turned up field, he sees a corner and runs out of bounds and I just shook my head.

1.  So you want to trade for an oft injured player?  2.  Derrick Thomas has not played in quite a while and he you know, died in a car accident years ago so I don't think he's the focus of the Chiefs D (yes I know you meant Johnson, I just couldn't resist).  But the rest of the guys are not any more important to what he's trying to build there than Berry.  They always speak very highly of Berry and what he does for the team.  More so than Poe and Hali.

2. Moncrief maybe, but Rogers hasn't shown that he can be anything more than a guy who can catch a few passes when the D ignores him.

3.  What two teammates have outplayed him?  I like Allen but Fleener has caught more passes for more yards for more First downs and more TDs than Allen.  I guess you could be talking about Hilton but you are really going to call a TE a bust because a WR has caught more passes than him.  That is a stretch.

Player "A"-

16 gm / 59 rec / 621 yds / 10.5 avg / 32 Lng / 2 TDs

Player "B"-  

16 gm /  22 rec / 322 yds / 14.6 avg / 37 Lng / 1 TDs

Player "C"

16 gm / 52 rec / 608 yds / 11.7 Avg / 44 Lng / 4 TDs

Found some second year stats for tight-ends. Guess which one is Fleener. The other two are Tony Gonzalez and Shannon Sharpe.

1.  So you want to trade for an oft injured player?  2.  Derrick Thomas has not played in quite a while and he you know, died in a car accident years ago so I don't think he's the focus of the Chiefs D (yes I know you meant Johnson, I just couldn't resist).  But the rest of the guys are not any more important to what he's trying to build there than Berry.  They always speak very highly of Berry and what he does for the team.  More so than Poe and Hali.

2. Moncrief maybe, but Rogers hasn't shown that he can be anything more than a guy who can catch a few passes when the D ignores him.

3.  What two teammates have outplayed him?  I like Allen but Fleener has caught more passes for more yards for more First downs and more TDs than Allen.  I guess you could be talking about Hilton but you are really going to call a TE a bust because a WR has caught more passes than him.  That is a stretch.

1. I think he would find himself injured much less in the Colt's scheme than he does in the current Chief's scheme. 2. My apologies on the Thomas incident and yes I meant Johnson, my mistake. I know they talk highly of Berry because he's a good player (which is why I'd like to have him on the Colts) but I don't think he's as important. I mean, its kind of hard to be really excited about a nose tackle lol. I simply think they value the front seven more (I think that's part of the reason they drafted Dee Ford despite having Houston and Hali).

2. Rogers was rated as a first or second round talent but he fell due to character concerns. He has talent as evidenced by his catch against the Chiefs. I think he could play much better if he gets some consistent playing time and he keeps his head on straight.

3. I was in fact referring to Hilton and Allen. I would hope that Fleener has outperformed Allen statistically since he has played twice as much as Allen due to the fact that Allen had to miss last year. Also, don't forget that Allen is astronomically better than Fleener as a blocker. Under normal circumstances I would agree that its unfair to compare a tight end to a receiver but we live in a different time now. Fleener was supposed to be special because of his ability to split out wide a la Graham. It was understood that his blocking wouldn't be the best but it was a trade off because of his receiving ability but he still hasn't been a gamechanger.

Player "A"-

Player "B"-  

Player "C"

Found some second year stats for tight-ends. Guess which one is Fleener. The other two are Tony Gonzalez and Shannon Sharpe.

It's a different time now. The rules have made it easier on the offenses and it is expected for receivers to put up much better stats. Offenses are so evolved nowadays that Peyton Manning just completely smashed all offensive records in a single season.

Player "A"-

Player "B"-  

Player "C"

I'm goign to guess that:

Player A is Gonzalez

Player B is Sharpe

Player C is Fleener.

I'm goign to guess that:

Player A is Gonzalez

Player B is Sharpe

Player C is Fleener.

Yep  :thmup: !

I'm not saying Fleener will be as good as either of those guys but he's been dependable and productive and his stats compare favorably to some of the great TE's.  There is no way he should be considered a "bust" at this point.

1. I think he would find himself injured much less in the Colt's scheme than he does in the current Chief's scheme. 2. My apologies on the Thomas incident and yes I meant Johnson, my mistake. I know they talk highly of Berry because he's a good player (which is why I'd like to have him on the Colts) but I don't think he's as important. I mean, its kind of hard to be really excited about a nose tackle lol. I simply think they value the front seven more (I think that's part of the reason they drafted Dee Ford despite having Houston and Hali).

2. Rogers was rated as a first or second round talent but he fell due to character concerns. He has talent as evidenced by his catch against the Chiefs. I think he could play much better if he gets some consistent playing time and he keeps his head on straight.

3. I was in fact referring to Hilton and Allen. I would hope that Fleener has outperformed Allen statistically since he has played twice as much as Allen due to the fact that Allen had to miss last year. Also, don't forget that Allen is astronomically better than Fleener as a blocker. Under normal circumstances I would agree that its unfair to compare a tight end to a receiver but we live in a different time now. Fleener was supposed to be special because of his ability to split out wide a la Graham. It was understood that his blocking wouldn't be the best but it was a trade off because of his receiving ability but he still hasn't been a gamechanger.

You don't have to apologize for Derrick Thomas comment, I just thought it was funny.  Since this thread is about a safety being injured and the need for a safety because the other starting safety is injured, I'm not sure if I follow the logic that a safety would get injured less with the Colts.  Indy seems to be the place to come for players that want to play the season on IR rather than the field.

As far as Rogers, I like him and I hope he suceeds but I don't really care what round he was supposed to be drafted in or why he wasn't drafted there.  His production in the NFL has only shown that he can catch a few passes when the defense ignores him.  Yes the catch in the playoff was nice but it was one catch.  Heck, one time Aaron Moorehead made a behind the back catch while still running down field, one catch does not prove or disprove anything.

Allen had a great rookie season.  But part of being a good player is being on the field, so you can't take away stats just because one player was injured.

Player "A"-

Player "B"-  

Player "C"

Nice Work

It's a different time now. The rules have made it easier on the offenses and it is expected for receivers to put up much better stats. Offenses are so evolved nowadays that Peyton Manning just completely smashed all offensive records in a single season.

Last year, during this new era, he ranked in the top 15 in receptions and yardage for all tight ends.  He had a pretty good year.  I don't know how else to explain/demonstrate it.  Is he Jimmy Graham? (Maybe not)  Is he a bust?  (Of course not)

You don't have to apologize for Derrick Thomas comment, I just thought it was funny.  Since this thread is about a safety being injured and the need for a safety because the other starting safety is injured, I'm not sure if I follow the logic that a safety would get injured less with the Colts.  Indy seems to be the place to come for players that want to play the season on IR rather than the field.

As far as Rogers, I like him and I hope he suceeds but I don't really care what round he was supposed to be drafted in or why he wasn't drafted there.  His production in the NFL has only shown that he can catch a few passes when the defense ignores him.  Yes the catch in the playoff was nice but it was one catch.  Heck, one time Aaron Moorehead made a behind the back catch while still running down field, one catch does not prove or disprove anything.

Allen had a great rookie season.  But part of being a good player is being on the field, so you can't take away stats just because one player was injured.

That's a good point. I'm curious as to what Indy does different than the rest of the NFL that could account for what seems to always be such an abnormally high number of injuries. KC uses Berry in a way that I think they play him closer to the line of scrimmage whereas in Indy, he would play more coverage since we already have Landry so Berry wouldn't have to take so many unnecessary hits.

I think its fair to say that Rogers hasn't had much of an opportunity. He didn't find himself on the field often but when he did he seemed to make plays. I think he should work harder in practice and do the little things like blocking downfield in order to ensure the coaching staff and Luck can trust him and make it impossible to not put him on the field.

The best ability is availability and I understand that but I think Allen's injury isn't something that will affect him in the future. It was something he dealt with and I think he's ready to go and prove himself.

That's a good point. I'm curious as to what Indy does different than the rest of the NFL that could account for what seems to always be such an abnormally high number of injuries. KC uses Berry in a way that I think they play him closer to the line of scrimmage whereas in Indy, he would play more coverage since we already have Landry so Berry wouldn't have to take so many unnecessary hits.

I think its fair to say that Rogers hasn't had much of an opportunity. He didn't find himself on the field often but when he did he seemed to make plays. I think he should work harder in practice and do the little things like blocking downfield in order to ensure the coaching staff and Luck can trust him and make it impossible to not put him on the field.

The best ability is availability and I understand that but I think Allen's injury isn't something that will affect him in the future. It was something he dealt with and I think he's ready to go and prove himself.

I don't think Allen's injury will affect him long term either and I think he and Fleener will form a top TE duo in the NFL and the best the Colts have seen since Dilger/Pollard.

the rules have changed and receivers are putting up better numbers, but unless they're a top 15 ish pick the high expectations aren't placed on them right away.

How many years had graham been in the league before he became the player he is today?

Depth at safety was precarious any way after our draft especially considering Landry's propensity to injury.  Now we potentially lose Delano Howell and some are finally forced to acknowledge how thin we are there.  Funny how those who expressed concerns about not taking a safety in the draft were brushed off as being "negative".  Rookie free agent signings and veteran backup caliber free agents were supposed to appease us and alleviate our concerns.  We were worried about nothing obviously.  

At least Grigs did sign Adams after the draft as a free agent.  But God forbid we should happen to also lose Landry at some point.  Colts definitely need to look to draft Bethea's replacement next year. 

and hopefully the best player available is a safety.

The kid I like is Kurtis Drummond from MSU he might be a late first rounder who knows.

I agree we need to look at S but we have other needs as well. Pass rush, O Line still and CB all could use an upgrade. The only spot I would not spend I high pick on is QB RB TE. 

I think it is a bad idea to go into a draft locked in on a position. We would not have Moncrief if that's how we did it. You gotta get the best player out there. Grigs will take care of the back end.

Before this turns into a Trent thread I wouldn't spend a high pick on a RB because I think that is a position you can get quality late. For example Zach Zenner South Dakota St and Cam McDaniel Notre Dame may both go undrafted next year I would love to see what they could do at the next level.

There is a good shot we can steal a back from Detroit//Cleveland they both are going to have to make some tough choices.

Depth at safety was precarious any way after our draft especially considering Landry's propensity to injury.  Now we potentially lose Delano Howell and some are finally forced to acknowledge how thin we are there.  Funny how those who expressed concerns about not taking a safety in the draft were brushed off as being "negative".  Rookie free agent signings and veteran backup caliber free agents were supposed to appease us and alleviate our concerns.  We were worried about nothing obviously.  

At least Grigs did sign Adams after the draft as a free agent.  But God forbid we should happen to also lose Landry at some point.  Colts definitely need to look to draft Bethea's replacement next year. 

We have Brown and Colt Anderson behind the starters call me crazy but I have like what I have seen from Anderson. If someone better gets cut we will latch on to them. Dewey will be getting ready on the practice squad and the improvement of the front 7 will take pressure off the back end. This isn't last years team

As Tiger would say "it's going to be ok"

We have Brown and Colt Anderson behind the starters call me crazy but I have like what I have seen from Anderson. If someone better gets cut we will latch on to them. Dewey will be getting ready on the practice squad and the improvement of the front 7 will take pressure off the back end. This isn't last years team

As Tiger would say "it's going to be ok"

Better make it official:

"Everything Will Be Okay"

History tells us we will lose Landry at some point in the season. Hopefully the front 7 can help keep him clean?

Hate to see Howell hurt like that. I don't think that means anything as far as Dewey he is still practice squad IMO.

We keep 10 DB's

Davis Toler Butler Landry Adams are the obvious 5 then

Gordy

Burley

Purifoy

Anderson

Brown

I would say that Price could slip in there ahead of Burley or Purifoy depends on our PR situation either way odd man out is on the practice squad.

This won't happen for 3 reason 1 Dewey is better than Burley 2 Landrey gets hurt they arn't going with 6 Cb's and only 4 safeties. 3 if they were to keep another CB I think its Price not Burley.

the rules have changed and receivers are putting up better numbers, but unless they're a top 15 ish pick the high expectations aren't placed on them right away.

How many years had graham been in the league before he became the player he is today?

1 year. Jimmy Graham's second season 2011 he put up 99 for 1310 11 TDs.

This won't happen for 3 reason 1 Dewey is better than Burley 2 Landrey gets hurt they arn't going with 6 Cb's and only 4 safeties. 3 if they were to keep another CB I think its Price not Burley.

Dewey is a S  doesn't play the same position as Burley CB. I bet we do keep 6 cb's and I said Price could slip in ahead of Burley or Purifoy.