Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So when does Eli Manning get benched?

ReMeDy

I feel like he's getting the keys to the car just because his brother is Peyton. They've given Eli the benefit of the doubt. No more. Time to bench the bum and give Ryan Nassib a shot. In Eli's three preseason games, he has thrown 7/16 for 49 yards (3.06 yards per attempt) and no touchdowns. I know in the last game Nassib was playing against 3rd stringers, but at least he showed some grit and acted like he wanted to win. I don't see that in Eli anymore.

Last season, Eli started off the season with a 0-6 record, the worst Giants regular season start since 1976. He threw 12 interceptions in his first 5 games. I know Eli has two Superbowls to his name, but how much of that was on the Giant's defense? I see Eli's name thrown around as one of the top 5 worst QB's to win a Superbowl.

Only reason I can see sticking with Eli is because Tom Coughlin's getting old and wants to use a QB who gives him the best chance of winning NOW, and despite Nassib's potential, that potential won't translate to immediate wins. The Giants need to clean house soon, like the Colts did.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! Bench the 2 time SB champ for a no namer! That'll teach him! :scratch: ....Eli is alright, Not great, Not elite(Though he is capable of elite play at times) but he is better then hoping Nassib is better....and well......Curtis Painter.....Yeah.......Sooooo...Eli it is

I feel like he's getting the keys to the car just because his brother is Peyton. They've given Eli the benefit of the doubt. No more. Time to bench the bum and give Ryan Nassib a shot. In Eli's three preseason games, he has thrown 7/16 for 49 yards (3.06 yards per attempt) and no touchdowns. I know in the last game Nassib was playing against 3rd stringers, but at least he showed some grit and acted like he wanted to win. I don't see that in Eli anymore.

Last season, Eli started off the season with a 0-6 record, the worst Giants regular season start since 1976. He threw 12 interceptions in his first 5 games. I know Eli has two Superbowls to his name, but how much of that was on the Giant's defense? I see Eli's name thrown around as one of the top 5 worst QB's to win a Superbowl.

Only reason I can see sticking with Eli is because Tom Coughlin's getting old and wants to use a QB who gives him the best chance of winning NOW, and despite Nassib's potential, that potential won't translate to immediate wins. The Giants need to clean house soon, like the Colts did.

I agree with this. Right now Eli is lost. He has been for the last two seasons IMO. I am not sure what happened and how he lost his confidence so much but he should lose the starting position if his preseason form carries into the regular season. Last year was his grace period. Coughlin needs to have a shorter leash this year or else he will be looking at being out of the post-season again by mid-season.

I agree with this. Right now Eli is lost. He has been for the last two seasons IMO. I am not sure what happened and how he lost his confidence so much but he should lose the starting position if his preseason form carries into the regular season. Last year was his grace period. Coughlin needs to have a shorter leash this year or else he will be looking at being out of the post-season again by mid-season.

You would bench a two time super bowl winner? The Giants have no one better on their roster. I think maybe your dislike of Eli could be some leftover hate from his play against the Pats. Could it be you are biased? Brady had an off year last season and was rated 17th. I guess the Pats need to bench him? What you think? :dunno:

Guest nflfan014

You would bench a two time super bowl winner? The Giants have no one better on their roster. I think maybe your dislike of Eli could be some leftover hate from his play against the Pats. Could it be you are biased? Brady had an off year last season and was rated 17th. I guess the Pats need to bench him? What you think? :dunno:

Brady didn't throw close to 30 INT and has never thrown more than 14 INT in a season.  Brady also led an injury depleted team to a 12 and 4 season and the AFC Title Game.  Nice try, though.

Brady didn't throw close to 30 INT and has never thrown more than 14 INT in a season.  Brady also led an injury depleted team to a 12 and 4 season and the AFC Title Game.  Nice try, though.

For one thing I did not direct my comment to you. It was made to amfootball and I was just pulling his leg. I didn't try anything so don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

Yeah, I certainly do dislike Eli and all things NY to boot but his play was absolutely horrendous last year. Some of that though was the factor of his team. He seems like a player that has lost confidence. He looks lost out there. I am not sure why. Like you said, he has the two rings to his resume, but he is struggling right now. The NFL is all about winning and you may be right that the other QBs are not great but we have not seen Nassib yet and if he is awful than the Giants need to think about a trade for a better back up. I think this is Eli's last year to prove he is still worth being the starter.

In terms of Brady, I know you are just kidding but honestly Brady's game did not look any different to me. He struggled early given all the turnover at receiver and then he was back to his old self and also led the league in 4th quarter comebacks which has always been his MO - delivering wins. Eli has not been back to the playoffs since 2011 and has looked terrible the last couple of seasons. Something needs to change soon.

Guest nflfan014

I don't care how bad Eli is struggling, he scares me in an elimination game more than any QB in the NFL.  I realize he had a great defense behind him the two SB years, but he's also really clutch.

Eli, while not successful lately, isn't "lost" out there. He's doing what Favre did in 2005, Marino towards the end, Young at times, etc. He's throwing up prayers because that's all he has (well had as far as last year...haven't seen him this year yet and I don't go by preseason anyway. Favre always blew chunks in the preseason and the Lions always destroy the Pats in the week 3 dress rehearsal).

I'd rather go down swinging with Eli, Favre etc. than I would counting my QBR points with Rodgers, Brees (lately) when down by a couple touchdowns.

Sliding for 2 on 3rd and 8 with a minute left in the playoff game (Rodgers) and setting playoff records in garbage time of a game you never led in (Brees) isn't a quarterback I want no matter how good all that looks on paper against the Eli, Flacco and Wilson (the last 3 SB champions). Yes I know the 2 other guys I mentioned would make up the last 5 SB champions but they have the refs to thank for that and only 1 playoff win since.

I think that's a drive-by reaction....

You search years for a proven guy. You don't bench him...

cant talk yourself into unproven guys over playoff steeled guys

...That kind of thinking is how anyone can rate Teddy Bridgewater as a better backup QB than Matt Hasselbeck

Eli has won several playoff games..who else can you go get who has?

Yeah, I certainly do dislike Eli and all things NY to boot but his play was absolutely horrendous last year. Some of that though was the factor of his team. He seems like a player that has lost confidence. He looks lost out there. I am not sure why. Like you said, he has the two rings to his resume, but he is struggling right now. The NFL is all about winning and you may be right that the other QBs are not great but we have not seen Nassib yet and if he is awful than the Giants need to think about a trade for a better back up. I think this is Eli's last year to prove he is still worth being the starter.

In terms of Brady, I know you are just kidding but honestly Brady's game did not look any different to me. He struggled early given all the turnover at receiver and then he was back to his old self and also led the league in 4th quarter comebacks which has always been his MO - delivering wins. Eli has not been back to the playoffs since 2011 and has looked terrible the last couple of seasons. Something needs to change soon.

Yeah I agree. What I don't understand is how the QB ratings have Tom listed so low. You know I was just kidding but it seems like the so called experts have overlooked how great Tom has been in the past. I have not watched enough of the Giants to know exactly what their problem is. Lack of receivers, running backs or play calling? Maybe a little of all those things. Maybe a change of coaches including the head coach might be in order. I think Eli has lost his confidence that's for sure.

I think that's a drive-by reaction....

You search years for a proven guy. You don't bench him...

cant talk yourself into unproven guys over playoff steeled guys

...That kind of thinking is how anyone can rate Teddy Bridgewater as a better backup QB than Matt Hasselbeck

Eli has won several playoff games..who else can you go get who has?

You can't keep a QB based on past success. He has to go out and prove it every time on field. If he can't then you have to look for his replacement.

You can't keep a QB based on past success. He has to go out and prove it every time on field. If he can't then you have to look for his replacement.

Of course you can keep a job based on past success.

The alternative...isn't logical...You cant replace a guy if you don't have anybody else..

Stay with a proven winner...stop shopping

Of course you can keep a job based on past success.

The alternative...isn't logical...You cant replace a guy if you don't have anybody else..

Stay with a proven winner...stop shopping

Yeah the Giants back up situation is dubious at best. I would like to see this Nassib guy though.

Give me the names of 2 QBs who have better SB winning record in the last 10 years other than Eli in the entire NFL.

This game is played to win and he did it twice and it's been done by only other QB ( Ben).

Why on earth we need to bench him?.

They didn't lose many either. You act like a 7-9 season coming 2 years after a guys 2nd SB should result in him being benched. That's just absurd.

Actually i dont. That was my first post on the topic But Eli did throw 27 picks and only 18 tds. If he has another season like that, his days are numbered

They didn't lose many either. It's not like they went 2-14. They went 7-9. That, coming 2 years after a guys 2nd SB shouldn't result in him being benched. That would be absurd.

He was the main reason though in those losses with his 27 picks. QBs are paid to win the games not lose them.

Actually i dont. That was my first post on the topic But Eli did throw 27 picks and only 18 tds. If he has another season like that, his days are numbered

I think he has 4-6 games to show he is not that QB anymore. If he begins this season like last then they will bench him by mid-season. The roar in NY will be too deafening for Coughlin to ignore.

I think he has 4-6 games to show he is not that QB anymore. If he begins this season like last then they will bench him by mid-season. The roar in NY will be too deafening for Coughlin to ignore.

Coughlin isn't gonna cave them lol, That O Line is a work in progress, They also have to see If they have a #2 receiver, Randle was alright last year but he has to have a real breakout year

If they start 0-6 again, Coughlin will be fired regardless.

Then the joke will be on the GM because they will be out a good coach and still have a subpar O Line and a wildly inconsistent QB and only 1 proven weapon....again it wont happen...Not after 2 SB's, losing your best O Lineman, your 2nd best wr and best rb

Then the joke will be on the GM because they will be out a good coach and still have a subpar O Line and a wildly inconsistent QB and only 1 proven weapon....again it wont happen...Not after 2 SB's, losing your best O Lineman, your 2nd best wr and best rb

The GM won't fire himself. The fall guys will be Coughlin and Eli. All you have to do is look at the Pats last year who had sub Oline play, no proven receiver except for Gronk for all of 6 games and a decimated defense and still 12 wins. And the Colts too. Same scenario as Pats and won their division.

Coughlin needs to figure out how to get wins in a division that is the worst in the NFL. Enough excuses. He needs MUCH better play from Eli to get it done. 8 or 9 wins should take that division. No one gets to play the "I didn't have a good team" card before the season even begins. The Jets had an awful team last year and Ryan was close to being fired. That is how it works in the NFL.

I don't care how bad Eli is struggling, he scares me in an elimination game more than any QB in the NFL.  I realize he had a great defense behind him the two SB years, but he's also really clutch.

In the game winning drive of Super Bowl XLII he threw 2 dropped interceptions and fumbled the ball while alone with 4 Patriot defenders only to recover it by trapping it under his leg.  Even the iconic play of the drive should probably have been ruled down by contact since he was clearly in the grasp of the defender.

I would not call any of that clutch at all.  It's just sometimes the ball bounces a little funny and you get all the breaks.

In the game winning drive of Super Bowl XLII he threw 2 dropped interceptions and fumbled the ball while alone with 4 Patriot defenders only to recover it by trapping it under his leg.  Even the iconic play of the drive should probably have been ruled down by contact since he was clearly in the grasp of the defender.

I would not call any of that clutch at all.  It's just sometimes the ball bounces a little funny and you get all the breaks.

So you pick few plays where the ball bounced in his favor and that's it, he is not clutch.

You realize he did not directly land into a SB game right?. He beat Packers in Lambeay field. 49ers in SFO.

Tell me one QB where the ball never bounced in his favor?.

Ever heard, fortune favors the brave.

In the game winning drive of Super Bowl XLII he threw 2 dropped interceptions and fumbled the ball while alone with 4 Patriot defenders only to recover it by trapping it under his leg. Even the iconic play of the drive should probably have been ruled down by contact since he was clearly in the grasp of the defender.

I would not call any of that clutch at all. It's just sometimes the ball bounces a little funny and you get all the breaks.

The football gods demanded repayment for the tuck rule game. !!!

The rule was changed. ;)

And admit it, you loved seeing those Raiders fans cry and cry and cry. They are still crying ...

I think I will feel worse for the crying Raider fans when their team moves to LA for a second time. You know how I feel about franchises moving. That being said, the stupid politicians out there better examine what happened in Baltimore and Cleveland. That place is a complete dump, but the fans are very passionate . Any city that does not have a stadium worthy of what that particular owner wants, will have the LA card played. This card was already played once, and the owner reaped millions on it through a sweetheart stadium deal and other concessions. Expect Mark Davis to cash in also, although he has been a bit more patient than another family that generally has a 12-14 year time frame before they hammer a city for a new stadium deal.