Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB rankings

oldunclemark

I'm shocked by this ranking to the point where there must be something that, even wkith the accompanying breakdown, I didn't understand.Forgetting that some of the guys here have yet to play one play in the NFL, I cant find a planet where Mark Sanchez is a better QB than Matt Hasselbeck.

And while I love Brock Osweiler, he hasnt played but 2 quarters in 2 years and he cant be ahead of Weeden and Gabbert, or even Case Keenum. I know Matt H. plays for the Colts so I'm not unbiased. But, for the record, Hassslebeck has thrown for something like 30,000 yards and 20 TDs and he's started at least six playoff games.

He's 38 but so in the league MVP. There is no indication he cant play a couple of games in an emergency and he's far better than untested rookies or someone line Ryan Griffin. Who? ..

What do you think of this list...?

NFL.com

2014 Backup QB rankings

1. Michael Vick, New York Jets

2. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars

3. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

4. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings

5. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins

6. Mark Sanchez, Philadelphia Eagles

7. Shaun Hill, St. Louis Rams

8. Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots

9. Tarvaris Jackson, Seattle Seahawks

10. Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns

11. Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders

12. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

13. Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos

14. Ryan Griffin, New Orleans Saints

15. Chase Daniel, Kansas City Chiefs

16. Jason Campbell, Cincinnati Bengals

17. Drew Stanton, Arizona Cardinals

18. Matt Hasselbeck, Indianapolis Colts

19. Scott Tolzien, Green Bay Packers

20. Case Keenum, Houston Texans

21. Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore Ravens

22. Jimmy Clausen, Chicago Bears

23. Brandon Weeden, Dallas Cowboys

24. Bruce Gradkowski, Pittsburgh Steelers

25. T.J. Yates, Atlanta Falcons

26. Kellen Clemens, San Diego Chargers

27. Derek Anderson, Carolina Panthers

28. Charlie Whitehurst, Tennessee Titans

29. Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions

30. Ryan Nassib, New York Giants

31. Jeff Tuel, Buffalo Bills

32. Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377086/article/ranking-all-32-backup-quarterbacks

Edited by 21isSuperman

Bridgewater is reportedly really struggling so far in camp..

Even as a backup he's backing up

I have only heard good things and that he's looking at possibly starting

This list is laughable, it should be called "rankings of how exciting I find backup quarterbacks"

If any one of these guys somehow winds up as your team's starting QB this season, your season is basically over.  And at least half of the NFL has a "starter" who probably belongs on this list, but his team just didn't have anyone decent to plug in at the position.  I always get a chuckle out of teams who start the season with a quarterback "competition".  It usually means "we're gonna have to settle for the guy who doesn't suck as bad as the other guy".  We Colts fans are spoiled.

I have only heard good things and that he's looking at possibly starting

This list is laughable, it should be called "rankings of how exciting I find backup quarterbacks"

Yes, this list is pretty bad. Cousins should be no lower than 2nd.

As for Bridgewater, you are right. Prior to this week, he had been doing very well in camp. However, I read in several sources today that he has thrown five interceptions in practice the last two days. That is probably what the other forum member was referring to when he wrote that he is "struggling so far in camp".

Despite my confidence in Bridgewater, he does not belong among the top 5 back-up QBs. Neither does Bortles.

It might be a tad early to put the rookies up there but that is the furthest from the problems with this list.

Agreed. . . First of all with the rookies it's not even clear if they are actually the backup or the starter yet for many of them.

Secondly no one has seen them play in a competitive game so it's like they are basically ranking the rookies based on draft status.

Should be limited to guys who are clearly backups.

And Micheal Vick, Sanchez and Mallet are ranked way too high.  Of the vets I know anything about I would take Cousins, Hoyer, Moore, Campbell, Stanton, and Hasselbeck before those guys.  

I get the Micheal Vick love, but what makes these guys think that Sanchez is a good backup? 

Agreed. . . First of all with the rookies it's not even clear if they are actually the backup or the starter yet for many of them.

Secondly no one has seen them play in a competitive game so it's like they are basically ranking the rookies based on draft status.

Should be limited to guys who are clearly backups.

And Micheal Vick, Sanchez and Mallet are ranked way too high.  Of the vets I know anything about I would take Cousins, Hoyer, Moore, Campbell, Stanton, and Hasselbeck before those guys.  

I get the Micheal Vick love, but what makes these guys think that Sanchez is a good backup? 

Who knows. USC QBs usually get a lot of love from the media, and Sanchez still gets that love even after crashing and burning in New York. I too get the Vick love; The guy has the wheels and the arm, he just can't stay healthy. I think Hoyer and Cousins are still questionable but not terrible, but Campbell is horrible lol.

From worst starting to QB to worst back-up QB. haha Poor guy.

I never understood why the 49er's traded for him to be their backup anyways.  

Maybe they just decided that if Kap goes down they want to make sure to get that #1 pick.  

Of course if they wanted to do that they could have just signed JaMarcus Russell.

Who knows. USC QBs usually get a lot of love from the media, and Sanchez still gets that love even after crashing and burning in New York. I too get the Vick love; The guy has the wheels and the arm, he just can't stay healthy. I think Hoyer and Cousins are still questionable but not terrible, but Campbell is horrible lol.

Well the Vick love IMO comes from the fact that he has had good seasons in the past.  But he's a turnover and an injury machine now.  

Cousins is a guy I'm rooting for.  I'm not sure why though.  Might be because we share a first name.  

Might also be because I like his attitude. . .  I remember him saying after he started and won a game for the Redskins that no matter what else happened he could say that he started and won an NFL game . . . 

Well the Vick love IMO comes from the fact that he has had good seasons in the past.  But he's a turnover and an injury machine now.  

Cousins is a guy I'm rooting for.  I'm not sure why though.  Might be because we share a first name.  

Maybe someone will want to acquire him if he shows enough in the preseason. I don't see him ever being the starter in Washington though. The Redskins were smart to draft him though given Griffin's injury history, though I think he stayed healthy all of last year and Gruden is going to try and make sure that carries over this year.

Maybe someone will want to acquire him if he shows enough in the preseason. I don't see him ever being the starter in Washington though. The Redskins were smart to draft him though given Griffin's injury history, though I think he stayed healthy all of last year and Gruden is going to try and make sure that carries over this year.

I don't think they will trade him unless someone gives them an over the top offer.  They know their starter breaks easily.

However I think when he hits free agency in a couple years, he'll likely get a shot to compete for a job with a QB needy team if he wants one.

Good second half ..... 2nd halves of exhibition games are deceptive

..but he ddi a lot better than 'Johnny ESPN'

If Bridgewater had thrown 3 INTs in the second half, no one would describe that as deceptive.

The result itself is not what was impressive (16 of 20, 177 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INT, sacked once). It was Bridgewater's poise under pressure that I and other Vikings fans were most pleased with. The Cards blitzed him on every play of that last drive, going 82 yds in 49 min for the game-winning TD. With the pocket collapsing, he stayed in there going through his progressions and making good decisions and accurate throws. He also improved his play from last week, appearing more comfortable with the speed of the game.

The veteran Matt Cassel is playing very well too; so Bridgewater may have to be the back-up for now.

If Bridgewater had thrown 3 INTs in the second half, no one would describe that as deceptive.

The result itself is not what was impressive (16 of 20, 177 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INT, sacked once). It was Bridgewater's poise under pressure that I and other Vikings fans were most pleased with. The Cards blitzed him on every play of that last drive, going 82 yds in 49 min for the game-winning TD. With the pocket collapsing, he stayed in there going through his progressions and making good decisions and accurate throws. He also improved his play from last week, appearing more comfortable with the speed of the game.

The veteran Matt Cassel is playing very well too; so Bridgewater may have to be the back-up for now.

A 49 minute drive That is impressive ball control jk

I liked Teddy the most of all the qbs coming out this year With a guy like AD to take the pressure off, i see him having a good season

A 49 minute drive That is impressive ball control jk

I liked Teddy the most of all the qbs coming out this year With a guy like AD to take the pressure off, i see him having a good season

You can always be counted upon to make a snide remark. :) Message boards always have at least one of you.