Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Disguising the Offense - this bother anyone else?

ColtsHappy

just because we won does not mean everything was good. That's a horrible argument

just because the offense stalled in the first quarters doesn't mean the offensive coordinator did a horrible job.  That's an equally horrible argument.  Perhaps the players just didn't execute.

just because the offense stalled in the first quarters doesn't mean the offensive coordinator did a horrible job. That's an equally horrible argument. Perhaps the players just didn't execute.

pep sucked the majority of last year. It is what it is. A simple fact.

You don't have to believe it, but it is the truth

Pep did NOT suck, but I know if I was the OC, calling plays would get tougher with Wayne out....Allen out....Ballard out....Bradshaw out as well as a M A S H unit of an offensive line.

We were darned lucky to go 11-5 (12-6) with the mess we had.  

I saw every game and every play and analyzed it over and over.  As mentioned previously in this thread, he WAS predictable...so was Arians and a whole lotta other OCs....This year will be pretty if the line works out. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Hey look...another couple of words you don't know the meaning of....truth and fact. Your list is growing. Might I suggest dictionary.com

Pep did NOT suck, but I know if I was the OC, calling plays would get tougher with Wayne out....Allen out....Ballard out....Bradshaw out as well as a M A S H unit of an offensive line.

I saw every game and every play and analyzed it over and over. As mentioned previously in this thread, he WAS predictable...so was Arians and a whole lotta other OCs....This year will be pretty if the line works out. :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe:

yes he did. There were times that were ok but the majority of the time, he was very underwhelming

This is your opinion.   And you're entitled to it.    I wouldn't waste a minute of your time trying to change your mind.

But it's only your opinion.     Calling it fact and truth simply because it's your opinion doesn't advance the argument.

We were able to run the ball the first few games of the season (I am not including Lucks scrambles)

vs Oakland (Bradshaw, Ballard combined 20 runs for 89 yards, 4.45 ypc)

vs Miami (Brown, Bradshaw 22 carries Combined 95 yards, 4.3 ypc).....Thomas went down in this game for the season

vs 49ers (35 carries between Bradshaw, Brown and Ballard....155 rushing yards 4.42 ypc)

vs Jax (Brown, Richardson, 23 carries 125 carries, 5.4 ypc)

vs Seattle (Richardson, Brown 24 carries, 93 yards, 3.8 ypc)

vs Chargers ( 13 carries between Richardson and Brown 55 yards, 4.23 ypc....Ran the ball well and Luck threw 12 incomplete passes the entire game....Chargers....particularly Matthews ran all over us and our defense could not get off the field)

There was other games

Thanks, Gavin for all this work, especially in a hopeless cause.  We finished 21st in rushing yards on a team dedicated to running the ball.  Maybe we should have kept Satele and McGlynn because they were so great?  I guess we were forced to run the ball because we didn't have a quarterback.

This is your opinion. And you're entitled to it. I wouldn't waste a minute of your time trying to change your mind.

But it's only your opinion. Calling it fact and truth simply because it's your opinion doesn't advance the argument.

correct.

The product on the field makes it fact. Not because I said it

I not about disguising anything more towards having a well balanced offense & mixing things up. Don't always run first down maybe some throws and then run. We have a lot of good looking weapons this year, I would like to see them all used, power running game, spread with all WR, Spread the TE, draws, sweeps, off tackle, possession receiving , going long, ect. keep the defense on there heals and dictate the game to them instead of the defense dictating the game to us! Keep them guessing!

correct.

The product on the field makes it fact. Not because I said it

Statistically, we were pretty much in the middle of the pack in a lot of categories.  I can agree that there is plenty of room for progress in all areas but to say Pep sucked and then call it a fact based on performance doesn't make sense to me.  Young group of players, new offensive scheme, laundry list of injuries; these things aren't excuses they are context.

I am really sorry, as the OP - I really did NOT mean to turn this into a Pep bashing thread - I really didn't. I think that any OC that charts a pretty impressive 11-5 record two years in a row - regardless of the circumstances -  has my vote. But seriously, I can't tell everyone how much I enjoyed all the comments, regardless of how adversarial they became at times. I learned a lot and hopefully so did everyone else.

I was frustrated because it seemed like time after time on third down, we brought in personnel groups and packages - that made us seem much more than predictable. i realize now that maybe I wasn't seeing all the intricacies and I thank all of you for providing your sharp insight into all of the issues. I have a tendency to look through a microscope much of the time, and what I see, I seem to see very clearly - but at the same time, there is a LOT that I miss.

Thanks so much for all the feedback, and GO COLTS!

I also feel and believe that we are all in for one heckuva ride this year - and the Super Bowl seems like a real possibility if we can stay healthy!

ColtsHappy

I am really sorry, as the OP - I really did NOT mean to turn this into a Pep bashing thread - I really didn't. I think that any OC that charts a pretty impressive 11-5 record two years in a row - regardless of the circumstances - has my vote. But seriously, I can't tell everyone how much I enjoyed all the comments, regardless of how adversarial they became at times. I learned a lot and hopefully so did everyone else.

I was frustrated because it seemed like time after time on third down, we brought in personnel groups and packages - that made us seem much more than predictable. i realize now that maybe I wasn't seeing all the intricacies and I thank all of you for providing your sharp insight into all of the issues. I have a tendency to look through a microscope much of the time, and what I see, I seem to see very clearly - but at the same time, there is a LOT that I miss.

I also feel and believe that we are all in for one heckuva ride this year - and the Super Bowl seems like a real possibility if we can stay healthy!

ColtsHappy

he wasn't our oc for two years

We were able to run the ball the first few games of the season (I am not including Lucks scrambles)

vs Oakland (Bradshaw, Ballard combined 20 runs for 89 yards, 4.45 ypc)

vs Miami (Brown, Bradshaw 22 carries Combined 95 yards, 4.3 ypc).....Thomas went down in this game for the season

vs 49ers (35 carries between Bradshaw, Brown and Ballard....155 rushing yards 4.42 ypc)

vs Jax (Brown, Richardson, 23 carries 125 carries, 5.4 ypc)

vs Seattle (Richardson, Brown 24 carries, 93 yards, 3.8 ypc)

vs Chargers ( 13 carries between Richardson and Brown 55 yards, 4.23 ypc....Ran the ball well and Luck threw 12 incomplete passes the entire game....Chargers....particularly Matthews ran all over us and our defense could not get off the field)

There was other games

Agree with all that then it's about the time we had 8 different lines 8 wks in a row.

Chargers game i remember that check down to Woodhead killing us would love to know how many first downs they picked up on that we couldn't stop Matthews or Allen couldn't get off the field. They had the ball over 38 mins we did hold them to 4 fg's only 1 td but could only manage 3 fg's

Thanks, Gavin for all this work, especially in a hopeless cause.  We finished 21st in rushing yards on a team dedicated to running the ball.  Maybe we should have kept Satele and McGlynn because they were so great?  I guess we were forced to run the ball because we didn't have a quarterback.

We were 23rd in total rush attempts with 409.....But we still ran for 3.9 ypc (which would have been alright but not great as a team taking out Lucks rushing yards and attempts and that likely would have been higher had we been able to stick with the run and by that I don't mean force feeding it to a rb who clearly had no idea what he was doing out there his first year in a new system and new team instead of giving the ball to Brown more then an average of 6.37 times per game....compared to Trents 11.2 carries per game....coaching was bad on multiple levels, Playcalling, bad personel moves.....and non moves) , Also taking into account other teams that were head of us all had QB's that ran quite a bit and that contributed to there ypc

I am really sorry, as the OP - I really did NOT mean to turn this into a Pep bashing thread - I really didn't. I think that any OC that charts a pretty impressive 11-5 record two years in a row - regardless of the circumstances -  has my vote. But seriously, I can't tell everyone how much I enjoyed all the comments, regardless of how adversarial they became at times. I learned a lot and hopefully so did everyone else.

ColtsHappy

Duh - Of course, sorry for the late night mis-post. I must have blocked Arians out of my mind completely.

:goodluck: 

ColtsHappy

I think every player on the offense should wear fake moustaches and monacles... those are pretty good disquises I think...wouldn't bother me one bit if I saw them wearing them.  Or, to really throw the Defenses off, how about we have members of the team switch jersies and wear different numbers!  That would make Ds think our jumbo package in when really SURPRISE!  Its Reggie Wayne wearing an O-lineman's jersey!!  Talk about GOTCHA!

That's my 2 cents on that matter of diguising the offense.

Time to return to reality...

I saw every game and every play and analyzed it over and over.  As mentioned previously in this thread, he WAS predictable...so was Arians and a whole lotta other OCs....This year will be pretty if the line works out. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Brother your right on all counts ,that being said that's why TR looked so bad ,it was predictable because they probably simplified it because he was lost. You could tell watching him ,he wasn't reacting letting his instinct and vision do the work.If healthy we will have a deeper improved  vastly O-Line  IMO  and TR will shut up some people in this forum.Much as Walden did, there are still some that don't like him but the  # drastically  dropped. Lol we could win the title and still have naysayers in here. ;)  

Brother your right on all counts ,that being said that's why TR looked so bad ,it was predictable because they probably simplified it because he was lost. You could tell watching him ,he wasn't reacting letting his instinct and vision do the work.If healthy we will have a deeper improved  vastly O-Line  IMO  and TR will shut up some people in this forum.Much as Walden did, there are still some that don't like him but the  # drastically  dropped. Lol we could win the title and still have naysayers in here. ;)  

One more thing not only will our receiving corps be an envy ,if our backs all stay healthy they will make people take notice as well.

LIKE!

Good points all, but believe me we will not get anyone on this forum to shut up.  Us included :)  

There are people with varying knowledge of football on here, and that too is a good thing.  It is hard when someone who has no clue even comments...let alone one word ridicules.  Kind of funny actually...

LIKE!

Good points all, but believe me we will not get anyone on this forum to shut up.  Us included :)

There are people with varying knowledge of football on here, and that too is a good thing.  It is hard when someone who has no clue even comments...let alone one word ridicules.  Kind of funny actually...

At times it is comical . :thmup:

In Poker, you look for "tells". Tells are also small visual cues in football that both teams and individual players give off in certain situations that let the opponents know what's coming. The idea is to know what tells you give off, and use that knowledge to your deceptive advantage - at the right time.

In football, this is nothing new, and good players use these cues all the time.