Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp on the horizon

swankdizzle

Like a lot of Colt fans, I am really looking forward to this training camp. A lot of questions we can't answer now will become hot topics then.  What about Khaled Holmes?  Is Donald Thomas recovered?  Will any of the UDFA's step up?

This undrafted class seems to have some real possibilities, but two weeks camp and the preseason is a pretty short time for them to impress the coaches.  A list of players that are intriguing: Qua Cox, Zach Kerr, Henoc Muamba.  Dewey McDonald, Loucheiz Purifoy.  From last year's roster, there are Sheldon Price and  Daniel Adongo,  The cutdown to 53 will be tough.  Can you cut Zach Kerr without some team grabbing him?  A lot of teams were interested in Muamba before we signed him.

Is Bjoern Werner really bigger and stronger?  Can he rush the passer now?  Where does Jack Mewhort fit?

Anyone else see any interesting camp battles?  

I thought Werner was actually lighter and stronger? If so should make him quicker and more explosive. Can't wait for training camp and preseason to get here. Bad thing is we are going to need to release some guys we really really like. Here's to a great year!

I thought Werner was actually lighter and stronger? If so should make him quicker and more explosive. Can't wait for training camp and preseason to get here. Bad thing is we are going to need to release some guys we really really like. Here's to a great year!

I hope we have so much great talent that we have to let some good players go

I'm looking forward to a number of position battles

The 4th and 5th cornerback positions (frankly I'm looking for Price and Cox)

The starting and back up safety spots (hoping Dewey makes it)

ILB spots behind Freeman, DQ, and Mcnary...(Jackson and Muamba   :goodluck: )

4th,5th, and possibly 6th reciever spots (rogers,moncrief, whalen)

The interior Oline battle

And finally the depth at the OLB position (LET'S GO ADONGO  :clap: )

There are interesting battles at every position, but i'm mainly intrigued by the wide receiver situation, i posted a topic a few weeks ago about how all are receivers are good and have potential, but at least one of them is going...and even keeping 6 might be a stretch. Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, Waylen. Its a good problem to have but a tough one

I'm looking forward to a number of position battles

The 4th and 5th cornerback positions (frankly I'm looking for Price and Cox)

The starting and back up safety spots (hoping Dewey makes it)

ILB spots behind Freeman, DQ, and Mcnary...(Jackson and Muamba   :goodluck: )

4th,5th, and possibly 6th reciever spots (rogers,moncrief, whalen)

The interior Oline battle

And finally the depth at the OLB position (LET'S GO ADONGO  :clap: )

That about sums it up for me too.  I'm concerned about our DBs as a whole.  I think our D line is going to be okay and our LBs should be better than last season (against the run, I hope).

The question mark at pass rushing and the quality of our defensive backs scares me.  

I think that if our O lives up to its potential, our D will have a lot easier time since opponents would be playing catch up (in a perfect world).

That about sums it up for me too. I'm concerned about our DBs as a whole. I think our D line is going to be okay and our LBs should be better than last season (against the run, I hope).

The question mark at pass rushing and the quality of our defensive backs scares me.

I think that if our O lives up to its potential, our D will have a lot easier time since opponents would be playing catch up (in a perfect world).

Don't think we need to be like Denver last year or the 04 Colts where the motto was "To beat us, you must outscore our offense"

It'd be nice to have a defense that can win the game for us cause as Denver showed, your offense isn't gonna drop 40+ every game. And even when you do, it still may not be enough to win

Don't think we need to be like Denver last year or the 04 Colts where the motto was "To beat us, you must outscore our offense"

It'd be nice to have a defense that can win the game for us cause as Denver showed, your offense isn't gonna drop 40+ every game. And even when you do, it still may not be enough to win

No one would argue with that. My point was that I'm not sold on our D, especially the DBs (except Davis). It would help if our O keeps the pressure up so our D can do enough to win.

I'm not expecting much more than that from the D until I see otherwise. The best defense is a good offense, right?

Yup, I'm excited!!! Last year was my first year going and can't wait to go back this year a couple times!! Some good battles going on this year like you said!

I really am going to pay attention to our offensive line and how they look! Also the Saftey position.

No one would argue with that. My point was that I'm not sold on our D, especially the DBs (except Davis). It would help if our O keeps the pressure up so our D can do enough to win.

I'm not expecting much more than that from the D until I see otherwise. The best defense is a good offense, right?

"The best defense is a good offense" ask Denver how that worked

The actual best defense is a defense good enough to give your offense extra possessions

That's what hurt us also last year, we need turnovers. When Butler gets picks, we usually capitalized on it. We gotta get the ball in Andrew's hand as much as possible

Against the run: these guys were at best average and Most were Weak.

Moala

Franklin

Mathews

Redding

Angerer

Sheppard

Mathis

Walden

Werner

These guys will be stout:

A Jones

Chapman

RJF

M Hughes

Pendleton

Freeman

DJackson

McNary

A Jackson

And we should expect Werner to improve against the run. Walden may be steadier in year 2 playing beside better players.

We will be playing in better situations on 2nd & 3rd downs which helps the pass rush.

A Big Jump in our D this season.

Landry does concern me.

"The best defense is a good offense" ask Denver how that worked

The actual best defense is a defense good enough to give your offense extra possessions

That's what hurt us also last year, we need turnovers. When Butler gets picks, we usually capitalized on it. We gotta get the ball in Andrew's hand as much as possible

It worked just fine for Denver, it got them to the SB. It worked enough to destroy the team that knocked us out of the playoffs (that team with a great run game and D). One bad game does NOT prove your point.

And speaking of points, you're obviously missing mine. I'm not against a good defense, that would be ignorant. Obviously we all want a great D. We all want to be the 85 Bears. We all want to be billionaires. That's not the discussion.

My point is that I don't believe we'll have an elite D. Like I said, until we see it, no one can say how our DBs will play. No one can say who is going to be a force rushing the QB. A great offense can take the pressure off of a lot of those question marks.

It worked just fine for Denver, it got them to the SB. It worked enough to destroy the team that knocked us out of the playoffs (that team with a great run game and D). One bad game does NOT prove your point.

And speaking of points, you're obviously missing mine. I'm not against a good defense, that would be ignorant. Obviously we all want a great D. We all want to be the 85 Bears. We all want to be billionaires. That's not the discussion.

My point is that I don't believe we'll have an elite D. Like I said, until we see it, no one can say how our DBs will play. No one can say who is going to be a force rushing the QB. A great offense can take the pressure off of a lot of those question marks.

Ah, was missing your point. My apologies, I was wrong. Now that i know the point, i agree. I don't expect an elite defense but i do expect an improved defense that can get Andrew the ball more for those extra possessions

:colts:

Like a lot of Colt fans, I am really looking forward to this training camp. A lot of questions we can't answer now will become hot topics then.  What about Khaled Holmes?  Is Donald Thomas recovered?  Will any of the UDFA's step up?

This undrafted class seems to have some real possibilities, but two weeks camp and the preseason is a pretty short time for them to impress the coaches.  A list of players that are intriguing: Qua Cox, Zach Kerr, Henoc Muamba.  Dewey McDonald, Loucheiz Purifoy.  From last year's roster, there are Sheldon Price and  Daniel Adongo,  The cutdown to 53 will be tough.  Can you cut Zach Kerr without some team grabbing him?  A lot of teams were interested in Muamba before we signed him.

Is Bjoern Werner really bigger and stronger?  Can he rush the passer now?  Where does Jack Mewhort fit?

Anyone else see any interesting camp battles?  

want to see if we are going to have a defense that scares other teams, I hope , I hope

That about sums it up for me too.  I'm concerned about our DBs as a whole.  I think our D line is going to be okay and our LBs should be better than last season (against the run, I hope).

The DB's dont SCARE me as you say, but i do agree there is a question mark on how Howell will be, and if Landry can stay healthy..but Im very confident that Howell will be better than most think he'll be, and our cornerback position can be VERY good if healthy..correct me if Im wrong but when Davis, Toler, and Butler were on the field together our defense was MUCH BETTER than when they weren't!! (HUGE reason we beat Denver). So in my opinion IF we can stay relatively healthy ALL season then the DB's can be a nice suprise. Just my opinion tho.

The DB's dont SCARE me as you say, but i do agree there is a question mark on how Howell will be, and if Landry can stay healthy..but Im very confident that Howell will be better than most think he'll be, and our cornerback position can be VERY good if healthy..correct me if Im wrong but when Davis, Toler, and Butler were on the field together our defense was MUCH BETTER than when they weren't!! (HUGE reason we beat Denver). So in my opinion IF we can stay relatively healthy ALL season then the DB's can be a nice suprise. Just my opinion tho.

To quote our greatest American poet "IF dreams came true, ah wouldn't that be nice..."

Denver could have won with their offense last year but they played their worst game of the year last. Hard to beat a good team with a bunch of turnovers. The same with us versus the patriots. If you turn over the ball 3 and 4 times versus the patriots they will be next to impossible to beat.