Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why would the Jags cut Jason Babin?

Superman

Would actually be worth a look I think, Though the attitude is a concern

Yeah, I'd like to know more about why they released him. But with Mathis' suspension, adding a proven pass rush threat would be nice. And we have an open roster spot. 

I question that move too. Maybe he was getting paid too much for limited snaps. 

They just re-signed him, though. And his salary doesn't go guaranteed until Week 1. 

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-06-19/jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell-talks-about-release-jason

GM David Caldwell (a former Colts front office guy under the Polians) says they wanted to get younger guys in the mix, and suggests that they wanted to give Babin a chance to catch on with other teams before camp. I guess that makes sense, but it's weird that they make this decision three months after giving him a three year deal.

They just re-signed him, though. And his salary doesn't go guaranteed until Week 1. 

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-06-19/jaguars-gm-dave-caldwell-talks-about-release-jason

GM David Caldwell (a former Colts front office guy under the Polians) says they wanted to get younger guys in the mix, and suggests that they wanted to give Babin a chance to catch on with other teams before camp. I guess that makes sense, but it's weird that they make this decision three months after giving him a three year deal.

That's all I could think of.  A bad attitude and being 34 doesn't help his case to be on a rebuilding Jaguars team

They have a new coach as well, I'm sure that factors into the equation.

This is Gus Bradley's second year. He's the same coach that wanted to claim Babin off waivers in 2013, and the same coach who agreed to sign him to a three year deal in March.

Also, they need youth. They drafted DE Chris Smith from Arkansas late in the draft. Could be someone they're looking to groom to start on their line. They have Clemons as well as Andre Branch.  Clemons is 32, so my guess is they eventually want Smith and Branch to be their DE's. Makes tons of sense.

That all makes sense. It's just weird that they re-signed him at all, in that case. But whatever.

Looks like they still save over 2 mill by cutting him. He has a salary of 1 mill and a roster bonus due of 1.3 mill. Must be they gave him the 500K and then thought better of it. Also probably feel for what he can contribute , they may as well give the young guys a chance to show what they've got. I believe that point was already covered in this thread, but makes sense. Why really should a team that isn't going to contend bother with a 34 year old fringe player. So I guess they realized they goofed paying the 500K and just decided to risk looking a little silly.

Maybe they just arn't competent?  I mean this is the Jags we are talking about here.

Maybe not, but I think they've been doing a pretty good job. Had a nice offseason and draft, I think, other than Blackmon being suspended again, but Blackmon predates this current administration. They also had a pretty good draft in 2013.

I think our division is going to be much better, soon. Maybe still below average in 2014, but in 2015, I think the Jags can compete. Especially if Bortles can play. The Texans were plagued with terrible quarterbacking and stale coaching, and that could be better this year. The Titans, I thought, were underrated last year, and would have been better if Locker had stayed healthy. I like Whisenhunt and Ray Horton, and they should be formidable this year as well.

Looks like they still save over 2 mill by cutting him. He has a salary of 1 mill and a roster bonus due of 1.3 mill. Must be they gave him the 500K and then thought better of it. Also probably feel for what he can contribute , they may as well give the young guys a chance to show what they've got. I believe that point was already covered in this thread, but makes sense. Why really should a team that isn't going to contend bother with a 34 year old fringe player. So I guess they realized they goofed paying the 500K and just decided to risk looking a little silly.

Neither his salary nor his roster bonus are due until the start of the season, so they don't save any more money now than they would by letting him come to camp. 

I guess it just comes down to them feeling like he wasn't their guy, and they'd rather give him a chance to catch on with someone else.

Why I'm so curious, overall, is because a) we need depth at pass rusher, even if it's a 34 year old; and b) he's been unceremoniously released by two teams in less than a year, both under eyebrow-raising circumstances. So when I hear a decent pass rusher is available, it's interesting, but it seems like there's something about him that teams don't like. Maybe I'm reading too much into it... 

Neither his salary nor his roster bonus are due until the start of the season, so they don't save any more money now than they would by letting him come to camp. 

I guess it just comes down to them feeling like he wasn't their guy, and they'd rather give him a chance to catch on with someone else.

Why I'm so curious, overall, is because a) we need depth at pass rusher, even if it's a 34 year old; and b) he's been unceremoniously released by two teams in less than a year, both under eyebrow-raising circumstances. So when I hear a decent pass rusher is available, it's interesting, but it seems like there's something about him that teams don't like. Maybe I'm reading too much into it... 

No .. they could have waited , but when teams cut a veteran in this manner , often they do it early for the obvious reasons. Not only does it give Babin more time to catch on with a new team but it also gives him time to learn that teams offense. It also gives more reps to the young guys the Jags want to work in. But you know all that stuff… 

Its hard to tell. They are chock full of young studs on that DL though. Perhaps the team wasn't sure what they would have coming in and added him back but seeing these guys come along they decided to let him go. Perhaps they decided to not make a mistake worse by hanging on to a guy that is falling behind in the depth chart and would create issues down the line. You made a mistake...cut bait and move on....we've seen that here at times.

Also Jacksonville is plenty under the cap...this isn't going to effect them at all. If Babins was willing to work in a rotation I would be happy to look at him...if he has a big head and doesn't want to work for his snaps....move along.

This is Gus Bradley's second year. He's the same coach that wanted to claim Babin off waivers in 2013, and the same coach who agreed to sign him to a three year deal in March.

Ah, my bad, brain just passed gas.