Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great Coaches Who Worked With Colts

lennymoore24

Interesting when you think about it. Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill * all worked on the Colts staff at one time or another.

yep the Colts have had good coaches for the most except for the times between Grandpa Ted the first time and Grandpa Ted the second time. Since then for the most part they have been in good hands except for Infante. Mora wasn't great but wasnt awful either. Dungy will get to hall one day. Caldwell was much like Mora in terms of not bring great but not awful despite what some fans might say and I'd say the jury is still out on Pagano but back-to-back playoff trips with clear progression from the first season to the second with a team that everyone outside of their building thought was rebuilding is a pretty good start.

Frank Kush and Rod Dowhower......Ron Meyer...not my favs for sure :)

Dowhower seems to make a lot of lists of the worst coach for NFL Teams.

I liked Ted and Tony the best.  I am hoping Pags comes into his own this year...I really love the family atmosphere the Colts have as well as a win now philosophy.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

I am amazed more did not like Arians actually.  He really led the 'troops' in Chuck's absence.  People can ay what they want, but we could not have gone 11-5 that season without him.

That's a fact Brother he rallied the troops ,we could've as easily said here we go again and been an NFL doormat !

I am amazed more did not like Arians actually.  He really led the 'troops' in Chuck's absence.  People can ay what they want, but we could not have gone 11-5 that season without him.

interesting note about arians. since he was fired from the steelers, they havent made the playoffs

Frank Kush and Rod Dowhower......Ron Meyer...not my favs for sure :)

Dowhower seems to make a lot of lists of the worst coach for NFL Teams.

I liked Ted and Tony the best.  I am hoping Pags comes into his own this year...I really love the family atmosphere the Colts have as well as a win now philosophy.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Say what you want about Ron Meyer he was the very first Indy Colt coach to take the team to the playoffs. He took over a 0-13 team and won the last 3 games of that season. Then won a division title his first full season. He at least had a winning percentage in his head coaching career.

Don't forget Ariens not shabby.

I think one of the reasons a lot of Colt fans didn't like Ariens was his offense put Luck in danger. He treated Luck like he was Big Ben and we all sadly seen what years of QB abuse can do. Ben hasn't had a solid season in a long time where he stayed healthy. It shows by the Steelers playoff record of here lately.

interesting note about arians. since he was fired from the steelers, they havent made the playoffs

Some may speculate that Arians offense is why the Steelers haven't made the playoffs since he was fired. He wore out Big Ben with never giving him the protection he needed. He done the same thing with Luck when here. Also the Steelers haven't had near the defense they have had in the past. Ben didn't have a defense to cover the lack of needed protection.

Some may speculate that Arians offense is why the Steelers haven't made the playoffs since he was fired. He wore out Big Ben with never giving him the protection he needed. He done the same thing with Luck when here. Also the Steelers haven't had near the defense they have had in the past. Ben didn't have a defense to cover the lack of needed protection.

true, but thats what made the steelers offense so hard to cover because it wasnt the typical 3 secs and the ball was out. ben could keep the play alive for like 7-10 secs and eventually find someone open downfield. I do agree the defense has lost its step, but thats because of age finally catching up with them. no more hampton harrison woodly or the human beard. troy and ike are shells of their former selfs

We have had some good coaches.  I brought up the names I did because when you think how many Super Bowls Chuck Noll, Don Shula, and Bill Belichick have been involved with, it is pretty impressive.  Love Ted Marchibroda.  Weeb got it done first.  I am torn on him since he helped the Jets bet the Colts in SBIII.  I still maintain if they played 99 more times the Colts would have won all of them.  inside the 20 five times in the first half with no points??  That is insane.

Can't discount good players when judging coaches.  Gotta have the right players too.  Belichick didn't have the right players in Cleveland and failed.

One final note about coaches.  Lombardi and Shula are legends.  But interesting they won their Super Bowls with mostly players picked by someone else.

I think one of the reasons a lot of Colt fans didn't like Ariens was his offense put Luck in danger. He treated Luck like he was Big Ben and we all sadly seen what years of QB abuse can do. Ben hasn't had a solid season in a long time where he stayed healthy. It shows by the Steelers playoff record of here lately.

With you on your points but the Steelers havnt exactly got an ideal surrounding cast to go with Ben now.

We have had some good coaches. I brought up the names I did because when you think how many Super Bowls Chuck Noll, Don Shula, and Bill * have been involved with, it is pretty impressive. Love Ted Marchibroda. Weeb got it done first. I am torn on him since he helped the Jets bet the Colts in SBIII. I still maintain if they played 99 more times the Colts would have won all of them. inside the 20 five times in the first half with no points?? That is insane.

Can't discount good players when judging coaches. Gotta have the right players too. * didn't have the right players in Cleveland and failed.

One final note about coaches. Lombardi and Shula are legends. But interesting they won their Super Bowls with mostly players picked by someone else.

Every time I watch a replay of Super Bowl 3, I expect the Colts to finally win. They were killing them in the first half, and Morall just had to have a decent game, and they would have killed the Jets. It should have been 20-0 Colts in the first half. That game remains the all time worst for me. It was worse than the Ravens losing to the Colts in the. 2006 playoffs , or even a loss to the Steelers. It was that bad. Then came the Orioles losing to the horrible Mets. 1969 was a tough year, I liked 1970 better.

Say what you want about Ron Meyer he was the very first Indy Colt coach to take the team to the playoffs. He took over a 0-13 team and won the last 3 games of that season. Then won a division title his first full season. He at least had a winning percentage in his head coaching career.

Good point.....the Colts were average with him at the wheel.

Many people have stated here that Mora was the first to take the Indianapolis Colts to the playoffs....Ron Meyer.