Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official "I Loved The 2014 Colts Draft" Thread

Adonai

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should have drafted Nix in the 2nd, he was the best player defensively at a major need. Nix next to Arthur Jones and Redding would have been a great versatile d-line. Mewhort is nothing but a RT, he hasn't played G since his freshman year. 

Louis Nix was gone before our pick in the 3rd.  Why did you hate them?  because they were depth?  BTW we have already signed like 3 or 4 CB/S as udfas.

Had an opportunity to watch the post-draft press briefing from Grigson and Pagano and I have to say that I am that much more excited. They both obviously feel that strengthening the Defensive line and Linebackers automatically makes the secondary better. I was pleased to hear this because I think the same way. It actually seems obvious to me but I don't think some other fans see that.

They do not seem to be very concerned about the Center or Safety positions. Said between Howell, Lynch, Sergio Brown and Colt Anderson the position will shake itself out. Implied Mewhort is more than just a Guard. And Grigson said he's a true Tackle. That was interesting. Said 'Old Hickory' went to the same High School as Ray Lewis and really turned their heads at the combine. Grigson looked at him, said wow. Asked Pagano to look at him. Pagano said wow, asked Manuski to look at him. Manuski said wow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if we can stay healthy - if we have strengthened our Offensive line - which I believe we did - added Nicks and get Reggie back with Hilton - get Dwayne Allen and Vick Ballard back to go with Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw and Coby Fleener - strengthened both our Defensive lines and added true, stout 3/4 thumpers at the LB positions - Werner gets to return to his true rush LB responsibilities - then we should take the AFC South again and we run over the New England Patriots twice [I believe easily if they are even there] and meet the Broncos in the AFC Championship game.

A lot of football between now and then but I am pretty excited about what's coming.

Yes, we loss our best RB in Brown that had great speed. Seastrunk was still on the board in the 5th round, one of Kiper, Mayock, and Mcshay top players available and we take an undersized speed rusher that isn't good vs the run. Seastrunk is fast and elusive, would have been an upgrade over all 3 RB's, two of which are coming off of injuries.

You seriously thought we needed another RB with Ballard and Bradshaw back this season? 

Oh and they were both making fun of bloggers. One in particular who said that Pagano went out to scout a RB when he did not. Grigson said "we don't just watch 10 youtube videos" before making their determinations. LOLOLOL I loved that.

It was a good draft I think. I am just a little apprehensive about Mewhort. It sounds like he's just gonna be depth along the line and not really have a chance to start. We have a lot going on at guard. People forget about Lance Louis, who I fully expect to secure a starting spot. He's pretty solid.

Hoping the Jackson pick will see us jettison Shepard. Grigson really did whiff on that deal.

Maybe Grigson needs to start watching " Youtube" videos so we can start drafting some great immediate impact players instead of developmental guys. I scouted on "Youtube" before and knew that Keenan Allen, Xavier Rhodes, Larry Warford, and Star Lotulelei we're going to be good players. Same with Nix and Brooks this year.

Oh and they were both making fun of bloggers. One in particular who said that Pagano went out to scout a RB when he did not. Grigson said "we don't just watch 10 youtube videos" before making their determinations. LOLOLOL I loved that.

I didn't mind us passing on a safety. Actually it was funny to see how overrated a lot of the Safety prospects people were hyping up. Guys like Dion Bailey who people wanted as early as the third, and Ladler who went undrafted.

People who were shaking at the thought of Clowney and Watt against our line should appreciate the Mewhort pick. The guy is 6'6" 309, and can play a few positions on the line.

Moncrief was a steal for where we got him. The heir-apparent to Reggie Wayne and finally a receiver with size. Loved that pick.

I know nothing about Newsome but it's not as if we didn't need a DE/OLB prospect, so you can't really complain there. And there weren't better options really available there.

Jackson was a guy I talked about here a few months ago, and I loved the pick. Perfect scheme fit. I told people here before not to put all their eggs in the Muamba and McNary basket. Granted Jackson still has to make the final team, but I think he will.

The 7th round pick won't make the team so it doesn't matter. I'd give the draft a B-

Every pick made sense to me.  Hard to make the "analysts" happy without a 1st and 4th.  Which leads me to my favorite part of the draft, we didn't leverage any future draft picks to move around in this draft.  It is going to be nice to go into a draft with our full allotment of picks and presumably some comp picks next year.

The clamoring for DB's from a majority of Colt's fans doesnt make sense to me, our passing defense was 13th last year, and was actually our highest rated unit (both defense and offense) last year.  I trust that the front office decided that the picks they made had more value than depth in the secondary.

I have a question for you all: What determines who gets comp draft picks and why was it sort of a mystery until only recently what those would be? It seems like if there is a procedure/rule/standard/system to determine them, everyone should have known immediately exactly what was going on.  If it really was a mystery until late, why? And what sort of criteria is really at play?  

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Maybe Grigson needs to start watching " Youtube" videos so we can start drafting some great immediate impact players instead of developmental guys. I scouted on "Youtube" before and knew that Keenan Allen, Xavier Rhodes, Larry Warford, and Star Lotulelei we're going to be good players. Same with Nix and Brooks this year.

Scouted for who? Who do you work for as a scout?

2014 NFL Draft: Quick-snap grades for all 32 teams

Indianapolis ColtsJack Mewhort (59th), Donte Moncrief (90th), Jonathan Newsome (166th), Andrew Jackson (203rd), Ulrick John (232nd)

The skinny: Lack of picks in such a deep draft really hurts the Colts, but Ryan Grigson did his best and found some good talent to stock the roster with.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349280/article/2014-nfl-draft-day-3-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

I love this draft.  IMO, Grigs and Pagano addressed the most pressing needs.  Plus 19 UDFA'S will fill out the roster.  All the 'instant exports' give me a pain in the pants.  

Just think how much better off Jim Irsay would be if, instead of hiring Grigs, he could just listen to Kiper and Mayock, read the Colts message boards and conduct the draft in a much more efficient manner.  And save all the money he pays Grigs, the coaches and scouts.  Hey Jim, listen up.  All this free advice is available, stop wasting your money.   rotflmao

Post of the year! Irsay hire this guy!