Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MMQB says Browns take Bortles #26

Peter King has released his mock draft, and a very interesting item is he feels the Browns will take Mike Evans at #6 and that Blake Bortles will fall through round one and Cleveland takes him at #26 with our traded round 1 pick.  O_o!!

He also has Texans unsuccessfully trading out of the #1 slot, so they take...  Kahlil Mack; not Clowney nor Manziel.

Interesting article all around-

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-khalil-mack-houston-texans/

It would be really dumb to take Clowney at 1, I'm actually hoping they do that way he busts for the texans. I don't think Bortles will be there at 26 and the browns have the 4th pick, so I guess he sees a trade between Cleveland and Atlanta. I can see Evans go at 6.

If I was the Browns, I'd take Watkins at 4 if he's there or trade down and take Bortles. I'm guessing a team like Jacksonville will take Bortles at 3 actually. What I love about this draft is we know nothing for sure. It's all speculation at this point and the draft cannot come quick enough.

It would be really dumb to take Clowney at 1, I'm actually hoping they do that way he busts for the texans. I don't think Bortles will be there at 26 and the browns have the 4th pick, so I guess he sees a trade between Cleveland and Atlanta. I can see Evans go at 6.

If I was the Browns, I'd take Watkins at 4 if he's there or trade down and take Bortles. I'm guessing a team like Jacksonville will take Bortles at 3 actually. What I love about this draft is we know nothing for sure. It's all speculation at this point and the draft cannot come quick enough.

Yes, he sees Atlanta getting Cleveland's 1st for their 1st and 3rd.  He also sees Jax taking Watkins at 3.  After the Gabbert and Balckmon disasters, they are going as close to sure fire safe as can be.  That says Mack or Watkins. No QB at that pick, that is for later. King also has Manziel going to the Bucs at #7 keeping Jurrah from getting him, and the next QB off the board is Carr to the Cards at #20 which allows Browns to get Bortles @26.  He also has Browns (in a trade with Seattle) taking Xavier Su'a-Filo with pick number 32.  Browns fans must be jumping up and down hoping King is right.

So my inclination that most teams would like to find a way to get their QB in round 2 or later might be on track, as Peter King has inside info and a pulse on the teams and their motives.  It also support my position that Manziel and Bortles are a tier above the rest, but the Carr pick by Bruce Arians surprised me a little.  We'll see what goes down...

Bortles isn't falling to 26.

Depends on whether Bruce Arians and the Cards want Derek Carr at 20, or Blake Bortles. I've heard either name. Not sure which is preferred.  I think Johnny Manziel will be only QB taken within the top 19. No more than 3 taken in round 1. So I agree with P. King a lot on his MMQB mock.

Depends on whether Bruce Arians and the Cards want Derek Carr at 20, or Blake Bortles. I've heard either name. Not sure which is preferred.  I think Johnny Manziel will be only QB taken within the top 19. No more than 3 taken in round 1. So I agree with P. King a lot on his MMQB mock.

The Vikings reportedly love Bortles, and teams like the Browns and even the Titans may not be able to pass on him based on his size. Even the Rams could take him with their second pick so that he can challenge Sam, though it would be better for him to sit for a while. I think Johnny will be the first quarterback off the board, but I don't think Bortles and, like you said, even Carr fall out of the first. We'll find out soon enough though.

The Vikings reportedly love Bortles, and teams like the Browns and even the Titans may not be able to pass on him based on his size. Even the Rams could take him with their second pick so that he can challenge Sam, though it would be better for him to sit for a while. I think Johnny will be the first quarterback off the board, but I don't think Bortles and, like you said, even Carr fall out of the first. We'll find out soon enough though.

I think Manziel, Bortles, and Carr do go in the first.  I personnally don't think any of them (except possibly Manziel) should though.  I just don't think Minn, St. Louis, Titans etc pull a QB on their 1st round 1 pick.  AZ might, and Cleveland will @ 26 with their 2nd rnd 1 pick from us, for certain.  I see Cleveland taking Watkins and Bortles/Carr, or trying to trade with ATL and targeting Mike Evans instead (because of Jax), like Peter King Suggests.  Because I see Jax taking Watkins at #3 and taking best QB available early in the second.  Then the rest of the next tier QB's come flying off the board in rounnd 2 and 3 (Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Savage, Garrapolo, Thomas, etc...)

If the Texans really want to trade out of #1 they should have no problem doing it.  

You can't tell me that they couldn't get offers lined up prior to the draft and make the trade then.

Honestly that's what they should do.  

But I hope they take Clowney.  I still think this kid busts.  3 sacks last year and people think he's a God.  

I think Manziel, Bortles, and Carr do go in the first.  I personnally don't think any of them (except possibly Manziel) should though.  I just don't think Minn, St. Louis, Titans etc pull a QB on their 1st round 1 pick.  AZ might, and Cleveland will @ 26 with their 2nd rnd 1 pick from us, for certain.  I see Cleveland taking Watkins and Bortles/Carr, or trying to trade with ATL and targeting Mike Evans instead (because of Jax), like Peter King Suggests.  Because I see Jax taking Watkins at #3 and taking best QB available early in the second.  Then the rest of the next tier QB's come flying off the board in rounnd 2 and 3 (Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Savage, Garrapolo, Thomas, etc...)

Yeah I can see that happening too. No way Watkins gets past Jacksonville but if they go quarterback there then that opens things up and changes the dynamics of the top ten. I don't like Bortles at all but teams will reach for him just because of his potential, same with Carr, though I think he could play right away. The run at quarterbacks in the second round will be insane.

No sense in taking him at 26 if you wouldn't want him at 4. 

Not sure of your meaning here?  Cleveland?   So you would take Bortles at #4, and miss out on any chance of getting Watkins or Evans and take lower tier WR at 26?  Or target Watkins/Evans at 4 or 6  and still have a very good shot at Bortles/Carr at #26? Not following you here??

If the Texans really want to trade out of #1 they should have no problem doing it.  

You can't tell me that they couldn't get offers lined up prior to the draft and make the trade then.

Honestly that's what they should do.  

But I hope they take Clowney.  I still think this kid busts.  3 sacks last year and people think he's a God.  

It not finding a trade partner, it's finding one who still drafts early enough in the first round that he gets his guy, and extra picks.  If you lose your guy, your trade down was wasted. Should have kept it and got that guy, even if it cost you that #1 pick. and if it is Khalil Mack, as P.King suggests, swallow your pride and the barbs of the analysts and take the dude, move on.  Does you no good to trade down to #10 or something and your guy be taken off the board at #9 or before.  It happens.

Not sure of your meaning here?  Cleveland?   So you would take Bortles at #4, and miss out on any chance of getting Watkins or Evans and take lower tier WR at 26?  Or target Watkins/Evans at 4 or 6  and still have a very good shot at Bortles/Carr at #26? Not following you here??

If you aren't sold on your QB enough to take him with the 4th selection, why take him at all? It's the most important position in all of sports. Waiting and hoping your guy won't get taken before 26 is asking for disaster. 

If you don't think he's a franchise QB then you shouldn't take him. They shouldn't take a QB just to take a QB. 

If you aren't sold on your QB enough to take him with the 4th selection, why take him at all? It's the most important position in all of sports. Waiting and hoping your guy won't get taken before 26 is asking for disaster. 

Because you need a QB, but all thos available aren't worth a #4 pick.  Since you don't have to trade down in the round to get your guy, get an impact player that is worth the #4 pick.  Then see what happens @ 26.

If you don't think he's a franchise QB then you shouldn't take him. They shouldn't take a QB just to take a QB. 

The QB's are all close, with Manziel, Carr, and Bortles a cut above the next tier of Bridewater, Mettenberg, McCarron, Garappolo, Boyd, Thomas, Murray, Savage...  etc

There's 8 - 10 QB's about same level in different ways to be had right there, and you don't have to lose an impact player to get one of them.  These QB's all have holes and need development (and Manziel has sustainability concerns; a la Vick).  Just because you need a QB doesn't mean you have to take him at the very top, especially if they will fall anyway.  And if 'that' guy doesnt fall, there are 7 or more that will  and you get the one that best fits your scheme.  This isn't a choice between Luck/RG3 and Clowney/Mack/Watkins/Evans.  It's more like E J Manuel, Geno Smith, and Brock Osweiler vs Clowney/Mack/Watkins/Evans.  Besides, if you can get a Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles type guy in round 3 or 4, why not?

Just because you nee a QBdoesn't mean you have to take him at the very top, especially if they will fall anyway. 

That's not my point. If you don't think a QB is a possible franchise QB, then you don't waste a first rounder on him. If you think he is a franchise QB, than take him the first chance you get. Franchise QBs are basically guaranteed trips to the post-season every few years. 

Not taking Bortles at #4 is showing you don't think he's a franchise QB. Nobody says "hey I think this guy is a franchise QB who will lead us for years to come...buuuut i'd rather take some random linebacker here and hope the QB is there later"

That's not my point. If you don't think a QB is a possible franchise QB, then you don't waste a first rounder on him. If you think he is a franchise QB, than take him the first chance you get. Franchise QBs are basically guaranteed trips to the post-season every few years. 

Not taking Bortles at #4 is showing you don't think he's a franchise QB. Nobody says "hey I think this guy is a franchise QB who will lead us for years to come...buuuut i'd rather take some random linebacker here and hope the QB is there later"

No QB this year is, IMO.I think all teams realize this as well. So there might be a slide of epic proportions in QB's.  I'm already on record thinking none of these guys should get in round 1. But some teams are desperate, and so there's always one or two that do even when they shouldn't.  Only guy I think who could be top 5 or so? Marcus Mariota.  But he hasn't been over evaluated to be certain of that, because he opted to go back to Oregon.  But #26 is nearly early 2nd round.  That's where I think this QB crop should begin to be taken off the board. Because while not sure fire franchise QB out the gate, I think a couple will turn out to be quite good enough to take a good team to a superbowl.  And that team can't pass up impact players to get their good QB; especially if they can get both.  That's my point.

The other is if the teams that don't have a Qb passes up any of the guys on this years average crop, they've tossed this season into the dumpster.

EDIT: and If a team picks one of these guys and they do horrid, there's a chance they could get Mariota, Winston, or Petty next draft. And those guys just might demand a 1st round pick to get them.  ;)

I think King tries to put together what he thinks will happen based upon his ties, dealings, and guts from an insiders view.  But todays GM's are too smart to let anything truthful out, no matter how tight inside the circle you are.  Polian even admitted to not telling his wife what they were gong to do on draft day.  Because he had once asking it not to get out.  Of course, itdid. LOL

I think King tries to put together what he thinks will happen based upon his ties, dealings, and guts from an insiders view.  But todays GM's are too smart to let anything truthful out, no matter how tight inside the circle you are.  Polian even admitted to not telling his wife what they were gong to do on draft day.  Because he had once asking it not to get out.  Of course, itdid. LOL

Did Polian talk to his wife at other times?

His draft articles are not based on HIM watching college players....

His draft articles are based on his conversations with GM's and Scouts and coaches who DO watch college players.

Still not buying it. Anyone who has Clowney outside the top 2 has lost all credibility. This mock is just awful.

It not finding a trade partner, it's finding one who still drafts early enough in the first round that he gets his guy, and extra picks.  If you lose your guy, your trade down was wasted. Should have kept it and got that guy, even if it cost you that #1 pick. and if it is Khalil Mack, as P.King suggests, swallow your pride and the barbs of the analysts and take the dude, move on.  Does you no good to trade down to #10 or something and your guy be taken off the board at #9 or before.  It happens.

If they are really in love with that guy they should take him.  

IMO though I don't think any player in the draft is worth the picks they could get from a small trade down.   Even if that means they don't get Mack.  

Teams are so in love with Clowney that they could probably pull an RG3 level trade here.  

If they are really in love with that guy they should take him.  

IMO though I don't think any player in the draft is worth the picks they could get from a small trade down.   Even if that means they don't get Mack.  

Teams are so in love with Clowney that they could probably pull an RG3 level trade here.  

I agree, and so does P. King with the bolded part.  If you can't trade and still get your guy, then don't trade and get your guy.  R.Smith knows who he wants.  And where he would like to get him.  Those two may not align, and a suitable trade to achieve it may not come to pass.  We'll see how the Texan's handle it tomorrow.