Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Burls' Kid's...FINAL MOCK.

2ND- Gabe Jackson (G)>MISSISSIPPI STATE

3RD-TRADE BACK: (Obtain a 4TH and a 5TH)

*4TH-Obtained via trade: (next year's third) Zach Moore (DE/DT)>CONCORDIA- ST PAUL

*4TH-Obtained via trade: Jerick McKinnon (RB)>GEORGIA SOUTHERN

5TH-Johnathan Dowling (SS/FS)> WESTERN KENTUCKY

*5TH-Obtained via trade: Kendall James (CB/ST)>MAINE

6TH-Conor Boffeli (G/C/T)>IOWA

7TH-Matt Patchan (T)>BOSTON COLLEGE

R.F.A'S: C. Marsh , T. Starr, L. Webster, V. Hampton, K. Reaser, F. Bah, R.Hewitt, D. Lee, T.Carrie...

Notes: I really like russell bodine, taylor hart, dri archer and jaylen watkins, but they're just not gonna be where we pick. They now have bodine shooting up the draftboard (He's projected as a 3rd now).

SCOUT THE PLAYER...NOT THE SCHOOL!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? I think it's quite solid. I love the zach moore and jerick McKinnon picks. The dowling pick's a steal.

Seems like more of a wish list than what could possibly happen. Your mocks are pretty much just filled with players you really like.

Seems like more of a wish list than what could possibly happen. Your mocks are pretty much just filled with players you really like.

I think we all get caught up in that though. Yes, i really like gabe jackson and i hope he's there at 59, but my other picks fall according to the board. It's a solid board...in all honesty. The jackson pick's a reach, i admit.

Need a safety earlier, no pass rusher taken, if we go RB I'd much prefer Charles Sims if available.

Jerick McKinnon is a freak though. The guy blew the combine up, with every imaginable attribute. Sure hope he's there in the 4th, doubt it though.

I think we all get caught up in that though. Yes, i really like gabe jackson and i hope he's there at 59, but my other picks fall according to the board. It's a solid board...in all honesty. The jackson pick's a reach, i admit.

I mean you're definelely right. Everyone here has a few "crushes" on certain players. Like how a lot of people like Terrance Brooks just because he's a true FS who will be there when we pick. Mine are Ward and Buccannon, but they're 2 prospects that the Colts have actually shown interest in. You don't get everyone you talk to/visit with but I base my board on that and guys who are Grigson/Pagano type players. Buccannon for example is a guy who checks all the boxes:

-Versatile, which is a Grigson thing

-Interchangeable at Safety, which is a Pagano thing

-Someone we have met with and brought for a private workout

-BPA that fits a need

But it just so happens that he's also a guy I've liked for months now.

I mean you're definelely right. Everyone here has a few "crushes" on certain players. Like how a lot of people like Terrance Brooks just because he's a true FS who will be there when we pick. Mine are Ward and Buccannon, but they're 2 prospects that the Colts have actually shown interest in. You don't get everyone you talk to/visit with but I base my board on that and guys who are Grigson/Pagano type players. Buccannon for example is a guy who checks all the boxes:

-Versatile, which is a Grigson thing

-Interchangeable at Safety, which is a Pagano thing

-Someone we have met with and brought for a private workout

-BPA that fits a need

But it just so happens that he's also a guy I've liked for months now.

I agree, for the most part. But team's have often taken players in the draft they never even spoken with (i assume, because they thought that they would be long gone by a certain round) . Just because we didn't pull them aside and chatted with them/or worked them out doesn't mean we're not interested. Grigson's mentioned something in his pre draft presser about us pulling prospects to the side (whatever that means) ...working them out and then swearing them to secrecy. I mocked zach moore to us, because grig's himself went up to concordia, just to see him perform.

Really don't like the 2 picks in the 4th.  I definitely wouldn't take a RB as high as the 4th, not with Richardson, Ballard, Bradshaw, and Choice.  I would also rather look for depth at OLB rather than DE/DT.  

Really don't like the 2 picks in the 4th.  I definitely wouldn't take a RB as high as the 4th, not with Richardson, Ballard, Bradshaw, and Choice.  I would also rather look for depth at OLB rather than DE/DT.  

Both of my picks in the 4th are sick (as in good) . I have McKinnon as my top back this year (my own board) and i added moore, when grig's himself let it slip (during his presser)  that he was up at concordia (can only be moore, i assume) scouting him under the smoking mirror that it was hageman he was there to see. More than likely moore's a colt in a couple of days.

Both of my picks in the 4th are sick (as in good) . I have McKinnon as my top back this year (my own board) and i added moore, when grig's himself let it slip (during his presser)  that he was up at concordia (can only be moore, i assume) scouting him under the smoking mirror that it was hageman he was there to see. More than likely moore's a colt in a couple of days.

I'll take your word for that...but I still would prefer different picks at both spots.

I'll take your word for that...but I still would prefer different picks at both spots.

I know my mock isn't popular, but i tried to put it together similiar to what i think we'll do. I reached/or wishful thinking on the jackson pick, i admit, but the others are realistic and fit what we're trying to do. I'm actually more curious as to whom our R.F.A. might be! I dig deep...my friend!

Feel free to look up both McKinnon and moore. You'll be quite surprised. Jerick was one of the best athletes at the combine...at all positions. HE BLEW THE DOORS OFF. Heck, he might not even be there in the 4th.

The back we don't have is the scatback. McKinnon fits that role perfectly, and can still carry the rock. I really like him, and if we added some extra picks in the middle of the draft, I'd be okay with taking him.

The back we don't have is the scatback. McKinnon fits that role perfectly, and can still carry the rock. I really like him, and if we added some extra picks in the middle of the draft, I'd be okay with taking him.

My one concern is he'll (McKinnon) go in the third and that's alittle too high for us. But in the 4TH...heck yeah! I LOVE THE GUY. He does everything well. I compare him to eric metcalf (whom many don't remember) .

Why not? I think it's quite solid. I love the zach moore and jerick McKinnon picks. The dowling pick's a steal.

R.F.A'S: C. Marsh , T. Starr, L. Webster, V. Hampton, K. Reaser, F. Bah, R.Hewitt, D. Lee, T.Carrie... is steals but i dont like us going og so early while we can get a corner back or even linebacker...i dont think lineman is a big concern i feel like we have quality guards right now 

While I think you always have to consider pass-rushing OLBs with the Colts' system (the D doesn't work without them), I really don't consider this a need at this time.  Mathis, Warner, Cam Johnson, Hickman, Studebaker, and Adongo -  there's a lot of ability there.  There may not be a clear successor for Mathis, but Werner has a shot and Mathis may return with plenty in his tank after this next year.  We're not likely to have a sure-thing at #59 at OLB; I'm not a huge believer in Attaochu or Marcus Smith.  Bottom line is that it's not an immediate need like S, OG, and CB, IMHO.  I feel the same way about the DE/DT pick: Redding, Jones, RJF, Hughes, and Moala.  How many do we need?  RB, too - can't we get a 4th RB option from the ranks of the undrafted (or at least much later)? 

Not to be totally negative: I love Gabe Jackson and Kendall James for the Colts.

While I think you always have to consider pass-rushing OLBs with the Colts' system (the D doesn't work without them), I really don't consider this a need at this time.  Mathis, Warner, Cam Johnson, Hickman, Studebaker, and Adongo -  there's a lot of ability there.  There may not be a clear successor for Mathis, but Werner has a shot and Mathis may return with plenty in his tank after this next year.  We're not likely to have a sure-thing at #59 at OLB; I'm not a huge believer in Attaochu or Marcus Smith.  Bottom line is that it's not an immediate need like S, OG, and CB, IMHO.  I feel the same way about the DE/DT pick: Redding, Jones, RJF, Hughes, and Moala.  How many do we need?  RB, too - can't we get a 4th RB option from the ranks of the undrafted (or at least much later)? 

Not to be totally negative: I love Gabe Jackson and Kendall James for the Colts.

Fair enough. I knew my mock wasn't the sexy one. I tried my best to fit the players to us (outside of the jackson pick) .

Fair enough. I knew my mock wasn't the sexy one. I tried my best to fit the players to us (outside of the jackson pick) .

Many Colt fans agree with you on the OLB, and heck, if I'm wrong about Attaochu or Smith, they could easily be the pick.  I remember years where Pittsburgh and Baltimore (similar defensive systems to ours) selected OLBs early without an apparent need, because they take a year or two to develop and the system doesn't work without them.  Of course, if either of these two guys are great solutions, I'd expect them to be gone by our #59 pick...

Yeaahhhh... if that is Victor Hampton on your RFA list, doubtful he will be undrafted...  he is a mid-rounder, would be more of our 5th round pick if you want him (without trades in mind)

I am a huge fan of Gabe Jackson, but not of the trade of next years 3rd for a 4th... but seeing what Grigson does, I wouldn't be shocked and it is highly plausible that a trade like that happens

Jerick McKinnon is a freak though. The guy blew the combine up, with every imaginable attribute. Sure hope he's there in the 4th, doubt it though.

I like McKinnon I live just out side Statesboro, Ga home of Georgia Southern. I have seen him play quite often.

He is a former option QB, a speedster with good size, and as you said he did have a great combine.

But theres a few things I'm concerned with watching him play in college.

He's not very strong and has a hard time breaking tackles. Sometimes seems to give up for extra yards.

Something he is got to learn in the NFL is pass protection because GSU runs the option so he's never had too. As a matter of fact GSU's high last season was defeating Florida without completing a single pass.

He also had fumble issues in college.

Overall I would love to get him but not that high. I feel like he is a late 5th rd pick only my opinion though.

O. K. Burls' Kid's, you have me convinced.  I think Gabe Jackson is just what the doctor ordered.  He could easily step into the starting lineup.  I don't consider Thornton a wasted pick if he becomes the backup.  He was a low third round pick in a weak draft.  I am definately one of those build the trench kind of guys.  When people say you can wait and get OL in the 5th round, I kind of shake my head.  You can get the fast little guys in lower rounds too.  You have a lot of names on your mock I'm not familiar with.  Nice. 

2.  Gabe Jackson

3.  Russell Bodine  - Again, I'm not giving up on Holmes, he was a 4th rounder.  I'm fine with him as a backup.

5.  Johnathan Dowling -   This is just for your enthusiasm alone.  You've convinced me Burls'

6.  Andre Hal

7. Spencer Long

I would just go ahead and take Bodine at three instead of trading down.  These are not reaches for needs.  A good OL could make a huge difference.

O. K. Burls' Kid's, you have me convinced.  I think Gabe Jackson is just what the doctor ordered.  He could easily step into the starting lineup.  I don't consider Thornton a wasted pick if he becomes the backup.  He was a low third round pick in a weak draft.  I am definately one of those build the trench kind of guys.  When people say you can wait and get OL in the 5th round, I kind of shake my head.  You can get the fast little guys in lower rounds too.  You have a lot of names on your mock I'm not familiar with.  Nice. 

2.  Gabe Jackson

3.  Russell Bodine  - Again, I'm not giving up on Holmes, he was a 4th rounder.  I'm fine with him as a backup.

5.  Johnathan Dowling -   This is just for your enthusiasm alone.  You've convinced me Burls'

6.  Andre Hal

7. Spencer Long

I would just go ahead and take Bodine at three instead of trading down.  These are not reaches for needs.  A good OL could make a huge difference.

So you draft two linemen to start this season, and you start them over the players you drafted last season, one of whom you never got a chance to put on the field? I just don't get it this mania...

I kind of understand taking a guard early with the idea that he can fill in if Thomas isn't healthy. But I don't understand relegating Holmes and Thornton to the bench in their second year. You'd be abandoning your strategy before you even give it a chance to succeed, and it's so you can restart the same strategy. You're essentially setting yourself back a year.

I know we took 2 linemen last year.  They were late third and fourth rounders.  Gabe Jackson wouldn't be a fill in for Thomas, he is better than anything we have and should win a starting spot.  Bodine is a powerful blocker that plays like a guard.  Even if Holmes turns out to be a good center, shouldn't we still try to put the best line on the field we can?  I would love to be able to run the ball.  If we took a WR or a DB in the fourth, I guarantee we wouldn't be calling him the answer.  If we found a really good WR in the 2nd or 3rd, we wouldn't talk about ruining the plan.

There is only one way to power run, you have to invest in the big guys.  Undrafted free agents and a few mid round picks are not the answer.  You don't have to have all #1 or #2 picks on the line, but you should still be open to upgrading when you can. 

I know we took 2 linemen last year.  They were late third and fourth rounders.  Gabe Jackson wouldn't be a fill in for Thomas, he is better than anything we have and should win a starting spot.  Bodine is a powerful blocker that plays like a guard.  Even if Holmes turns out to be a good center, shouldn't we still try to put the best line on the field we can?  I would love to be able to run the ball.  If we took a WR or a DB in the fourth, I guarantee we wouldn't be calling him the answer.  If we found a really good WR in the 2nd or 3rd, we wouldn't talk about ruining the plan.

There is only one way to power run, you have to invest in the big guys.  Undrafted free agents and a few mid round picks are not the answer.  You don't have to have all #1 or #2 picks on the line, but you should still be open to upgrading when you can. 

I like Bodine, just not in the third. And not to play ahead of Holmes. That's really my point. You're advocating drafting another center and putting the guy we haven't even given a chance yet back on the bench. Why did we draft Holmes? The idea that any center/guard in this year's draft would be a better option than Holmes strikes me as shortsighted, at best. 

Same thing with Jackson. Perfect world, Thomas is healthy. Then what do we do with Jackson? Play him ahead of Thornton? What about Thornton's potential, which should begin to be realized pretty quickly given his obvious talent and the experience he got last year? If we draft Jackson and Bodine at #59 and #90, knowing we just drafted Holmes and Thornton, we're sticking two of our four young linemen on the bench. And we have other positions where young players can actually get on the field right away. That's the difference between line depth and depth at WR or DB, is that you don't mix in reps for reserve linemen. You pick your starting five, and that's it, until you are forced to play a sub for some reason. There's no platooning at offensive line.

My point is that we HAVE invested in the line. So many people are unwilling to wait for that strategy to work itself out, and I don't get it. Add players who can be developed (I think Bodine fits that category; I just think you're overdrafting him in the third, by about 50 picks) at line and can step in as reserves. But let the young guys you just drafted have a chance, otherwise you're just throwing away picks.

Last thing, there are a ton of late round draft picks and UDFAs starting for good teams at offensive line. Pretty much every FA that we were pining for along the line was a UDFA, with a couple fifth and sixth rounders here and there. No one wants to build the line exclusively through the scrap heap, but giving your young third and fourth round picks a chance to play isn't building through the scrap heap. 

1. Our interior o line does not have any proven vet players that have "Won" the position.  They stunk, were hurt, or never played. Leaving a mess.
  2. I'm for getting more and having real competition.  Best man wins, other guy has to win it back, or step up if he gets hurt.

That's why I hope or #59 is Weston Richburg.  Then a safety right after that. Waiting for that interior O line group to develop is playing Russian roulette, IMO. Let them prove their worth beating out some higher graded rookies for their jobs at training camp.

1. Our interior o line does not have any proven vet players that have "Won" the position.  They stunk, were hurt, or never played. Leaving a mess.
  2. I'm for getting more and having real competition.  Best man wins, other guy has to win it back, or step up if he gets hurt.

That's why I hope or #59 is Weston Richburg.  Then a safety right after that.

no sense taking a S in the third wait and get Dowling late he is better than reaching.  If Gabe Jackson is there at 59 I'd snatch him unless I was dang sure I could fall back a spot or so and still get him. I think i would just take him not risk it. If not BPA don't see any reason to draft a C if Grigs doesn't play Rookie C's

I think our biggest problems are OFFENSIVE LINE way beyond anything else. We are working Thomas at C that should tell us something. Being able to control the ball will help on D as well. I hope Grigs has a GOOD plan.

The back end of the D  is loaded with potential up and down the board BPA is the only way to go in the draft can't lock in on a position.

That's why I hope or #59 is Weston Richburg.  Then a safety right after that. Waiting for that interior O line group to develop is playing Russian roulette, IMO. Let them prove their worth beating out some higher graded rookies for their jobs at training camp.

How is Richburg a better prospect right now than Holmes was a year ago? What makes him higher graded? Why not see what you have in Holmes? If you draft Richburg at #59, then what happens? 

You don't wait for your line to develop. You let it development. If you put Richburg in the lineup, it's basically the same thing as putting Holmes in the lineup, except Richburg doesn't have the benefit of a redshirt year to work on his body and get familiar with the pro game. You're setting yourself back a year, not promoting progress.

None of our young guys have won jobs. I agree with that. But it would be a far better strategy to sign veterans (which we have, although we could use another couple guys at guard/center) who can play right now, than to draft more interior linemen to compete with the interior linemen we just drafted. If you think we need to upgrade on Holmes and Thornton, promote the idea of signing sure upgrades. 

How is Richburg a better prospect right now than Holmes was a year ago? What makes him higher graded? Why not see what you have in Holmes? If you draft Richburg at #59, then what happens? 

You don't wait for your line to develop. You let it development. If you put Richburg in the lineup, it's basically the same thing as putting Holmes in the lineup, except Richburg doesn't have the benefit of a redshirt year to work on his body and get familiar with the pro game. You're setting yourself back a year, not promoting progress.

None of our young guys have won jobs. I agree with that. But it would be a far better strategy to sign veterans (which we have, although we could use another couple guys at guard/center) who can play right now, than to draft more interior linemen to compete with the interior linemen we just drafted. If you think we need to upgrade on Holmes and Thornton, promote the idea of signing sure upgrades. 

The only thing I'll say here is Richburg has some scouts that project him as high as late 1st round, and that he's durable and reliable, uninjured.  Things you can never ever say about Holmes.

If Richburg wins at training camp, then that's the base I want to 'let' my line grow from.  If he doesn't, he'll likely be stepping in for an injury at some point based on Holmes history, and how Satele got abused and injured in our system last year. Let our guard keep getting better at being guards, not switching off to backup center fill in duty.

The only thing I'll say here is Richburg has some scouts that project him as high as late 1st round, and that he's durable and reliable, uninjured.  Things you can never ever say about Holmes.

If Richburg wins at training camp, then that's the base I want to 'let' my line grow from.  If he doesn't, he'll likely be stepping in for an injury at some point based on Holmes history, and how Satele got abused and injured in our system last year.

Richburg in the first? I haven't seen that, but okay. Holmes, if not for injuries, was projected as a second or third rounder. They are very similarly rated, albeit with different characteristics.

And yes, Holmes has an injury history. Does that mean you don't let him play? He's healthy now. Do we keep him under glass to keep it that way? (I'm not sure what Satele has to do with anything at this point.)

It seems like you have written off Holmes entirely. I don't get it.

Richburg in the first? I haven't seen that, but okay. Holmes, if not for injuries, was projected as a second or third rounder. They are very similarly rated, albeit with different characteristics.

And yes, Holmes has an injury history. Does that mean you don't let him play? He's healthy now. Do we keep him under glass to keep it that way? (I'm not sure what Satele has to do with anything at this point.)

It seems like you have written off Holmes entirely. I don't get it.

I don't trust Holmes, true.  He hasn't played yet, so hasn't earned the pass, IMO. Injury history makes it more shaky. I want an insurance policy. We can afford to buy one.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014C.php

If, he even makes it to us @ #59.

or Pats take him at #62 if we pass, even though they extended their center 2 years...

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/04/new_england_patriots_2014_nfl_37.html

For whatever it's worth,  Grigson has stated he's been a member of three franchises and each has gone to a super bowl with an undrafted free agent at center.     That's the Rams,  the Eagles and the Colts.

So, if he's spent a fourth round pick on Holmes, then he think Holmes is very, very good.

I don't see him spending a 2 or a 3 on another Center to let them battle it out.    He might spend a 4 or a 5 on a Center, but not a 2 or a 3.    Because then the loser of the battle isn't playing much.   And if it's our 2014 pick, then we've spent one of our few high picks on a player who will be on the bench.

Sorry,  but I don't see that scenario unfolding.

Yes, Grigson will spend a mid-round pick to beef up the line....   but I'd be very surprised if he spends a 2 or a 3 on a center.   It just doesn't add up for me.

I don't trust Holmes, true.  He hasn't played yet, so hasn't earned the pass, IMO. Injury history makes it more shaky. I want an insurance policy. We can afford to buy one.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014C.php

If, he even makes it to us @ #59.

You don't want an insurance policy, you want a replacement. For the replacement. Who hasn't even been given a chance to play yet. I would argue that it makes more sense to sign a veteran for an insurance policy, giving your young guy a chance to develop. Or even a versatile guard/center later in the draft. Drafting another center in the 2nd or 3rd? To me, it's wasteful and premature.

They have Richburg as the 65th player on their big board. That would make him a 2nd-3rd round prospect. http://walterfootball.com/draft2014bigboard.php Who knows where he actually gets drafted? Frederick was a 2nd-3rd round prospect who got drafted in the 1st. 

Let our guard keep getting better at being guards, not switching off to backup center fill in duty.

I missed this earlier, by the way.

We'll likely carry 9 OL. Guess which position most NFL teams don't carry a dedicated backup for? Yup, center, which means most teams have a swing guard/center on their active roster. The usual exception is when a team drafts a center but doesn't play him right away, like we did with Holmes, but even he is listed on the roster as a G/C.

It gets better. You only dress 7 OL on game day. Someone has to swing as guard/center, and tackle/guard, etc.

All this adds up to it making less sense to draft another center.

I missed this earlier, by the way.

We'll likely carry 9 OL. Guess which position most NFL teams don't carry a dedicated backup for? Yup, center, which means most teams have a swing guard/center on their active roster. The usual exception is when a team drafts a center but doesn't play him right away, like we did with Holmes, but even he is listed on the roster as a G/C.

It gets better. You only dress 7 OL on game day. Someone has to swing as guard/center, and tackle/guard, etc.

All this adds up to it making less sense to draft another center.

I will track the careers of Holmes and Richburg as others do RGIII and Luck.

We are not taking a C in with 59 or 90 might trade back might/should take a lineman it won't be another C that is crazy Grigs said he doesn't want to start rookie C's and that he wants play now players How can you deduce from that we are taking a C? We aren't no way no how. It is the same stuff this board did with Mack when that was never an option.

We are getting Mack this and that like Cleveland didn't even have a transition tag on him. The O Line needs help that is for sure from where I sit drafting a C is not the kind of help it needs. Goodwin is still there so are both Cook brothers there will be cuts and UDFA's.

I want play now players I don't start rookie C's..... We should use our first pick on a C how can you possibly come up with that?