Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB News-Cleveland and Minnesota

PrincetonTiger

Here was the week in QB News

It looks like the Browns are still trying to their QB problem by signing Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen to compete with Alex Tanney to the 2nd String Signal Caller behind Brandon Hoyer.

In Minnesota the Vikings refused to pick up the 5th Year option on Christian Ponder making the FSU alum a FA following the 2014 Season

Just because a GM is gone doesn't mean the new one will get rid of the previous players. Chiefs didn't do that. Browns would be stupid to when QB is the only thing keeping them from the playoffs. And he was hired from within the organization. For all we know he is the reason Hoyer was there.

Just because a GM is gone doesn't mean the new one will get rid of the previous players. Chiefs didn't do that. Browns would be stupid to when QB is the only thing keeping them from the playoffs. And he was hired from within the organization. For all we know he is the reason Hoyer was there.

It is not only GM but an entirely new Coaching Staff and Offensive System

Even if Hoyer is good and he can run their Offense, they should still get rid of him, not being their guy and all.

He can be the backup if he's not the guy. They already got rid of Jason Campbell who played decent for them.

It is real shocking that Hoyer is being kept at #1

Agreed but he is not this regimes guy

What have you got against QB Brian Hoyer? I like that kid. Before he got injured, Brian was winning games & giving that team confidence especially Joe Thomas who blocks on the offensive line for him. Hoyer's resume in Cleveland is too short or small in sample size to definitively say that he is not their franchise QB yet PT. JMO. 

Besides, new head coaches always want to hand pick their own QB. 1 major problem with that notion however: Browns management will fire Mike Pettine in about 2 seasons anyway just watch. And the Browns organization will be at -1 again just like always. 

What have you got against QB Brian Hoyer? I like that kid. Before he got injured, Brian was winning games & giving that team confidence especially Joe Thomas who blocks on the offensive line for him. Hoyer's resume in Cleveland is too short or small in sample size to definitively say that he is not their franchise QB yet PT. JMO.

I have nothing against Hoyer but with the coaching change including a scheme change I figure that they will want some form of change at the QB picture

Thanks for the name reminder

He can be the backup if he's not the guy. They already got rid of Jason Campbell who played decent for them.

You can say that again BF4. Campbell was a quality backup & I am just dumbfounded that Cleveland cut him loose. Way to keep the disaster train wreak moving full steam ahead Browns. SMH. Are you trying to compete with the Raiders for the worst bone headed moves in the NFL? I'm starting to think so actually. Plus, I don't think Campbell is in high demand across the league & therefore his annual salary shouldn't break the bank either. 

You can say that again BF4. Campbell was a quality backup & I am just dumbfounded that Cleveland cut him loose. Way to keep the disaster train wreak moving full steam ahead Browns. SMH. Are you trying to compete with the Raiders for the worst bone headed moves in the NFL? I'm starting to think so actually. Plus, I don't think Campbell is in high demand across the league & therefore his annual salary shouldn't break the bank either.

From what I read they signed VY and Thigpen to be that quality backup

I have nothing against Hoyer but with the coaching change including a scheme change I figure that they will want some form of change at the QB picture

I just hope that they keep Hoyer in the starting lineup & they feed RB Ben Tate early & often to open up flee flickers, screens, & the play action pass. Ben Tate is 1 tough hombre who played very well with broken ribs last season in Houston. 

From what I read they signed VY and Thigpen to be that quality backup

Vince Young would have made the Packers roster as backup & he would have if the GB GM would have brought him in sooner to take over for an injured Aaron Rodgers. It's nice to see Vince making money again since he was forced to file for bankruptcy in order to keep his home. I will be rooting for Mr. Young to be a quality backup for a few more seasons to get back on his feet financially.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Vince-Young-a-humbled-and-hungry-quarterback/f0e190cf-75e0-4599-826b-c19aae141e0e 

Why do these team links not work? Grrr! It's off their darn website for crying outloud. Here is the text below: 

Vince Young: a humbled and hungry quarterback

Young ready for redemption

A wise and humbled 30-year-old Vince Young took the podium Tuesday after voluntary minicamp.

“I’m one of the older guys now,” said Young. “It’s kind of funny to say.”
If you go to Vince Young’s page on Wikipedia, the entry is nearly 7,000 words long. The twists and turns of his football career, the good and the bad, have always been in the limelight.  
A mystical off-the-cuff college quarterback at Texas, Young shocked the nation by upsetting the USC Trojans on their home-turf in the BCS title game. Young was picked third in the 2006 NFL draft by the Tennessee Titans. He appeared on the Jay Leno show. He replaced Kerry Collins in the starting lineup, leading his team on a six-game winning streak and won offensive rookie of the year.
Stardom was in sight.

Then, poof. Some inconsistent play forced Young to the sidelines. With Collins back in the lineup, the Titans posted a 13-3 record. Things happen quickly in the often unpleasant world called the NFL. Those in the media try to label players. Young is aware of that.

“One thing a lot of people don’t know is, they don’t know the truth,” Young told reporters on Tuesday about his professional career. “The only person that knows the truth is yourself and your family. As long as you believe in that, continue to live your dream and always stay ready for those opportunities.”

Young isn’t sure what his exact opportunity will be with the Browns. He hasn’t discussed specifics yet with coach Mike Pettine or general manager Ray Farmer. Pettine did indicate in his press conference the plan was for the Browns to sign either Young or Thigpen following minicamp.
"Vince is somebody I've always had respect for being on the other sideline," said Pettine. "When he walks in the building he has a presence."
For now Young is quickly learning the terminology of Kyle Shanahan’s offense. He’s renewing his close relationship with Browns quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains, who arrived in Tennessee (and spent the last eight seasons with the Titans) the same year Young did out of Texas. And Young is feeling refreshed. He looked nimble at minicamp after incorporating pilates and yoga to his offseason routine.

Young is willing to do anything, especially offer guidance the young Cleveland roster.

“Whatever the coaches ask me to do. Just one day at a time. I’m here to support Brian and the rest of the guys,” said Young.
“Just trying to be a leader for the rest of the guys and teammates, letting them know that we are all out here competing not just at the quarterback position but each position.”

Are we sure Vince Young is even on the roster right now? He was only brought into Cleveland for a tryout back in late April along with Tyler Thigpen...

Let's see if this Browns link actually works shall we...Keep your finger crossed everybody. Here we go...I will test it after I post it too. 

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Vince-Young-earns-tryout-with-Cleveland-Browns/43365c4a-0219-4771-b3c7-b220d0065115

Thigpen is okay not great. I'd rather have VY personally. Normally, I don't belief in full fledged charity cases, but I will make an exception in Vince's case because #1 HC Jeff Fisher is no saint & #2 I wanna see what Young can do with a full NFL season under his belt to knock the rust off. 

Yeah Baby, the link worked! Woo Hoo! Sweet...

Young is currently listed on their active roster. Good, I'm glad to see that.  :thmup:

I know that PT. You're a good guy with a high football IQ no question. When SW1 likes a guy, I defend them vigorously & I think Hoyer could lead the Browns very well down the stretch as the main man in the Dog Pound. 

"Who let the dogs out. woof, woof, woof, woof" [it's a popular song by the Baha Men for those who don't get the joke.] Stupid I know PT, but still funny.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  :P

In Minnesota the Vikings refused to pick up the 5th Year option on Christian Ponder making the FSU alum a FA following the 2014 Season

If I was a Vikings fan, I would be doing cart wheels in the street over releasing Ponder. That guy will never be a franchise QB ever again IMO. I keep wondering if Coach Zimmer is doing a smoke screen & really wants to draft Johnny football though at #8. You never know with these draft mind games, especially if Cleveland passes on Manziel at #4. 

If I was a Vikings fan, I would be doing cart wheels in the street over releasing Ponder. That guy will never be a franchise QB ever again IMO. I keep wondering if Coach Zimmer is doing a smoke screen & really wants to draft Johnny football though at #8. You never know with these draft mind games, especially if Cleveland passes on Manziel at #4.

Ponder is not gone yet. When I read the headline in the Daily Norseman yesterday, all I could think of is "Duh". No real Vikings fan thought his option would be picked up.

While I like Bridgewater, we need a linebacker. We can pick up a QB at #40.

Okay, even if Ponder is still on the Vikings roster this season, the dude just sucks. I've seen enough. The Ponder experiment is over. Knowing Zimmer though, he seemed pretty adamant that he didn't like media circus that follows Johnny Football around so I don't see Minnesota pulling the trigger on Manziel personally. Derek Carr is growing on me & Teddy Bridgewater fascinates me with his horrible pro day like JaMarcus Russell in reverse. 

I can't figure out why Bridgewater had such a horrific pro day especially with no pass rush & every darn throw is pre planned & scripted from start to finish. It just baffles me actually. I heard a few analyst say that he likes to throw with a glove & on pro day he chose not to wear any glove. Seriously? 1 glove is gonna take Bridgewater from a ProBowl QB to a chump?

Also, he needs to man up & admit his pro day performance was just pathetic. I like his swag & confidence, but man when you don't deliver the goods on the field, you gotta acknowledge the obvious son. Who are you kidding Mr. Bridgewater child please. LOL! 

Ponder is not gone yet. When I read the headline in the Daily Norseman yesterday, all I could think of is "Duh". No real Vikings fan thought his option would be picked up.

Maybe Jerry Jones in Dallas will pick up Ponder eventually. Ha! Ha! Could SW1 really be that lucky? A weakened Dallas defense & a QB with a weak arm in Ponder. No one really knows how Tony Romo is throwing the ball after back surgery right now. Who needs another 8-8 season when I know that the Cowboys are fully capable of 6-10. LOL! I always laugh when ESPN pundits like Merril Hoge kisses Dallas's butt every year & they always under achieve like clockwork. It's just beautiful man. I love it.  :thmup:

Good luck getting your LB NFLfan, but you need a quality QB before #40 I think. Matt Cassel is a decent backup that won a few games, but he's no franchise QB savior either.

Good luck getting your LB NFLfan, but you need a quality QB before #40 I think. Matt Cassel is a decent backup that won a few games, but he's no franchise QB savior either.

We absolutely need a quarterback but I don't believe we should select just any quarterback just because we need one. The last time we needed a QB, we reached and got Ponder. Not worthy of the 12th pick!

Quarterback is not the only important position. If we don't believe the QBs available at #8 are worth the pick, I prefer addressing another need (linebacker, offensive line, secondary) with the pick.

We absolutely need a quarterback but I don't believe we should select just any quarterback just because we need one. The last time we needed a QB, we reached and got Ponder. Not worthy of the 12th pick!

Quarterback is not the only important position. If we don't believe the QBs available at #8 are worth the pick, I prefer addressing another need (linebacker, offensive line, secondary) with the pick.

I will acknowledge that it is possible to find a decent QB beyond the top 20 picks or so NFLfan & there is the advantage that they are not required to start immediately once they grasp their playbook. However, Minnesota has a dilemma & that dilemma is this: Right now, the Vikings have no starting QB on their roster which means whoever they draft regardless of their draft position that QB should be starting ASAP. Therefore, pick the QB early to guarantee that the GM, HC, & owner get their desired pick of the litter among eligible field generals available this year. JMO.

Remember, with the new salary rules in place, no NFL organization is mandated to pay a QB $40-$50 million dollars in guaranteed money anymore & the QB is the most important position on the field. Mess up that pick & you cripple your franchise for the next 5 years resulting in the need to hire a whole new coaching staff. 

Unless the Browns choose a QB in the Draft the only QB currently on the roster is Alex Tanney

I realized the name mistake after the edit window

They are going to take a QB. I wouldn't be surprised if they took 2. 

Well, Hoyer played good for the Browns before he got a season ending injury.

and he still threw 3 INT's against one of the worst defenses in the entire league.

We do not know what Hoyer is made of until he plays more games.

According to reports the Browns are "in love with" Teddy Bridgewater and could take him at 26

Not one direct link to anyone within the Browns organization validating any of this conjecture. 

Here was the week in QB News

It looks like the Browns are still trying to their QB problem by signing Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen to compete with Alex Tanney to the 2nd String Signal Caller behind Brandon Hoyer.

Both teams have a vet to use this year while developing the new QB they draft this year.  None are worth top 10 pick, and I doubt either team gets one with the assigned 1st pick.  I see Cleveland taking theirs with the pick we gave them for Trent Richardson.  Maybe Minn tries to trade up in round 2 for theirs, or takes it at their round 2 slot.  There will be some there.

In fact, While many talking heads are predicting 3 QB's taken within the top ten, I think the earliest team to target a QB in round 1 will be TN Titans, or maybe even Dallas at #16!  Certainly Bruce will take one at 20 if the big 3/4 drop like lead balloons.  There will be a precipitous fall down the board in QB's while teams use their picks on impact players, not a QB that needs work and probably some time on the bench in learn mode.  We'll see what goes down.

Maybe Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston is next season.

If that's the case they better hope Hoyer doesn't play well.  

The Browns seem to be doing what a few QB needy teams seem to do.  They sign a lot of QB's and hope that one of them shows something in camp or something.  

I'm not sure it's a good strategy.  

Yup, and one not too far off the top tier either.  The next levels of QB's this year really aren't that spaced out.  And I think most all are round 2 or round 3 guys anyway.

They are going to take a QB. I wouldn't be surprised if they took 2. 

I think they go for Evans, then QB with @26 we traded to you.  If another goodie is is still on the board, they may get another early round two as well!  Or if one falls really far, take him in late rounds.  I do see your point, and agree it might happen.

According to reports the Browns are "in love with" Teddy Bridgewater and could take him at 26

They'll certainly have their chance, because everyone knows he will fall. I hope he gets past them though so we have a shot at 33 maybe lol

I am not sure he will get to 26

Yeah it depends I suppose, he is a very good player but the hype and his pro day killed his December perception. I think Manziel and Bortles for sure go before him, so it depends on what other QB-starved teams do.