Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the potential of the browns if they draft sammy watkins

I'm struggling to see what seperates Sammy Watkins from Deandre Hopkins? Besides a little speed difference I fell like they are about even but Hopkins runs better routes to me when he was at Clemson. Both have great hands.

I don't see how Watkins is a top 5 prospect and Hopkins was rated at the bottom of the 1st.

Watkins is more explosive, better after the catch. Watkins is basically a RB in a WRs body. Their skillets are nothing alike.

Watkins is a combination of all the good attributes of Anquan Boldin, Cordarrelle Patterson and Torrey Smith with basically none of the negatives.

Hopkins is/was a an average athlete who's ceiling was a high end WR2.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy Watkins, in terms of athletic ability, is not in the same zip code as Julio Jones, IMO.

Plus, like I said, in a WR deep draft, if I had to choose a WR, I'd wait at least till the second of my 2 first round picks.

OL, DL or QB will help the Browns more with pick No.4 than any other position, IMO.

Watkins may not be as athletic, but he's a better (read: polished) pure receiver than Jones was coming out.

He only played two full games. No one is ready to call him the guy yet, much less the QB of a top 10 offense. Thats especially true for a guy thats been q career backup. Couldnt even break the starting linup at a team that went through 4 QBs in one year.

didnt he throw for like 400 yards in his first game?

Watkins is more explosive, better after the catch. Watkins is basically a RB in a WRs body. Their skillets are nothing alike.

Watkins is a combination of all the good attributes of Anquan Boldin, Cordarrelle Patterson and Torrey Smith with basically none of the negatives.

Hopkins is/was a an average athlete who's ceiling was a high end WR2.

I kinda disagree but ok

He was on the Cardinals when Skelton, Kolb and some other guy sucked it up.  He couldn't beat out any of those guys either.  I get the argument you're trying to make...but I'm sorry..it's a losign one.  He's been a backup to a bunch of guys that wouldn't even be backups on other teams.  So yeah, he had a couple of good games...the likelihood is it was an aberration. 

hoyer was playing great before he got hurt

He played two games.

falcons did it with julio jones when they already had roddy white

I sincerely hope we are not comparing Julio Jones to Sammy Watkins, they are not even close. Watkins is more Percy Harvin or Santonio Holmes than he is Megatron or AJ Green.

Go look at the percentages of WR's under 6'3 and find an elite one in the bunch....my bet is you'll be reaching on 2nd tier guys. 

The Browns would be dumb to take a WR at 4. They absolutely do not need one in such a deep class of WR's. You're talking about spending a #4 overall pick on a guy who would be the 2nd best player at the position on his team. The Browns need to just muscle up and take the QB they love. You can't win the QB lottery if you don't buy your ticket. 

Don't pretend his rookie year impressed anyone

He had one TD run over 10 yards. All but one of his TD runs were the 2 and 3 yard variety. He was exclusively featured on the goal line and averaged 3.5 ypc.

Go look at the percentages of WR's under 6'3 and find an elite one in the bunch....my bet is you'll be reaching on 2nd tier guys. 

jerry rice reggie wayne wes welker michael irvin andre reed marvin harrison. want me to keep going or do you feel stupid already

The Browns would be dumb to take a WR at 4. They absolutely do not need one in such a deep class of WR's. You're talking about spending a #4 overall pick on a guy who would be the 2nd best player at the position on his team. The Browns need to just muscle up and take the QB they love. You can't win the QB lottery if you don't buy your ticket. 

there is absolutely nothing special about this qb class

go ask the bengals ravens and steelers if his rookie year was impressive. 

I'll tell you what, i'll give T-RICH all of training camp, O.T.A.'S, pre-season and 4 regular season games before i call him a COMPLETE BUST. But if it ain't workin' out by week 5, then POOF...BE GONE...EVIL ONE. We can't run our season into the ground, with this luke warm cowpie.

jerry rice reggie wayne wes welker michael irvin andre reed marvin harrison. want me to keep going or do you feel stupid already

You're really digging out Jerry Rice?

Wayne isn't elite. The top 5 WR's are all 6'3 or taller, today, right now in this game. The game is way different than a few years ago, your ignorance is astounding. 

go ask the bengals ravens and steelers if his rookie year was impressive. 

I can tell you're a box score watcher.

he won both games. how many did you win when he got hurt? exactly my point

Did you watch either of those games?

well, obviously there are going to be differing opinion on who i elite or not, but I'd classify WRs like Dez Bryant, Desean Jackson and  Antonio Brown as "elite-tier" (maybe we can just come to an agreement that these players would all be top ~7 picks in their respective drafts with hindsight?) WRs who are under 6'1".  And I think Watkins has a higher ceiling then any of them. Well, maybe not Dez, but Watkins has the ability ot be a consistent 1300-1400 yard guy. 

well, obviously there are going to be differing opinion on who i elite or not, but I'd classify WRs like Dez Bryant, Desean Jackson and  Antonio Brown as "elite-tier" (maybe we can just come to an agreement that these players would all be top ~7 picks in their respective drafts with hindsight?) WRs who are under 6'1".  And I think Watkins has a higher ceiling then any of them. Well, maybe not Dez, but Watkins has the ability ot be a consistent 1300-1400 yard guy. 

Elite is top 3 maybe 5. I don't see any of those guys listed (maybe Bryant who is 6'2) as an elite WR. The Browns do not have a QB on the roster of Tony Romo's caliber, so it's just an ill advised move all around to take a WR, when you already have an elite level talent on board. A #4 overall pick on a guy who will no doubt be maxed out as your #2? Tough to swallow as a fan when we have no QB. 

You're really digging out Jerry Rice?

Wayne isn't elite. The top 5 WR's are all 6'3 or taller, today, right now in this game. The game is way different than a few years ago, your ignorance is astounding. 

I can tell you're a box score watcher.

Did you watch either of those games?

you're obviously clueless if you dont think reggie wayne is elite. I guess you think gordon is elite. height has nothing to do with them being top 5. do you know how many tall wrs turn out to be busts?

did he gain 100 yards or not on the two of the best run defenses?

didnt have to. they won thats all the matters. you guys couldnt win again

Elite is top 3 maybe 5. I don't see any of those guys listed (maybe Bryant who is 6'2) as an elite WR. The Browns do not have a QB on the roster of Tony Romo's caliber, so it's just an ill advised move all around to take a WR, when you already have an elite level talent on board. A #4 overall pick on a guy who will no doubt be maxed out as your #2? Tough to swallow as a fan when we have no QB. 

all the QBs are trash this year. qb needy teams will make the same mistake as the 2011 class. you take the best talent not the need especially when the need isnt the best player on the board

you're obviously clueless if you dont think reggie wayne is elite. I guess you think gordon is elite. height has nothing to do with them being top 5. do you know how many tall wrs turn out to be busts?

Gordon is elite though.

all the QBs are trash this year. qb needy teams will make the same mistake as the 2011 class. you take the best talent not the need especially when the need isnt the best player on the board

Tom Savage isn't. I like him and a great kid. He's a steal for somebody.

You sound like a very intelligent individual. 

Must have impressed someone.....He was recognized by his peers as #71 in the league based on that rookie campaign.

Everyone knows those are a joke.....try finding a player that actually voted.

I don't think you are accurately representing the way that players, such as our own Robert Mathis, feel about those rankings.

I have heard more than one player, including Pat McAfee, claim they have no clue who actually votes because they have never met anyone who did. Just look at the list yourself....common sense would tell you not to take it very seriously.

I have heard more than one player, including Pat McAfee, claim they have no clue who actually votes because they have never met anyone who did. Just look at the list yourself....common sense would tell you not to take it very seriously.

someone votes and apparently players express how they feel about their ranking so its not just a joke

someone votes and apparently players express how they feel about their ranking so its not just a joke

Good god, some people will grasp at anything. Last season they had Arian Foster #8 and Ed Reed #13.......still wanna take that list seriously?

Good god, some people will grasp at anything. Last season they had Arian Foster #8 and Ed Reed #13.......still wanna take that list seriously?

they also had ap number 1 and before that rodgers. whats your point. 

You are just being silly. If you think Richardson is a good player, fine, stick to your guns.

I do. also trent was playing most of his rookie year with broken ribs. its hard just to breathe when you have broken ribs

I'd trade back and get more picks take 1 of the top CBs and grab a QB at 26

Peter King thinks Browns trade with Atlanta (who wants to move up bad) and targets Mike Evans (WR @ #6) then the QB (Bortles) at #26.

I'm struggling to see what seperates Sammy Watkins from Deandre Hopkins? Besides a little speed difference I fell like they are about even but Hopkins runs better routes to me when he was at Clemson. Both have great hands.

I don't see how Watkins is a top 5 prospect and Hopkins was rated at the bottom of the 1st.

I heard Polian mention Watkins as being Marvin Harrison-esque.  Other GM's mention things like Watkins is an excellent route-runner who knows how to gain separation downfield and on the sidelines using precise cuts and stems, and that’s something that shouldn’t be lost when evaluating him. His stats, 40 time, athleticism, and explosiveness make him a great prospect, but his football IQ makes him elite.

Mayock is calling Watkins one of the best wide receivers he has seen on tape in the last decade.

"There weren't many players in the country that could really run up and down the field against a Florida State, and Sammy Watkins did that. He did it for three years straight. He was a player to be reckoned with. You could see the growth and you could tell that he was an ascending player."

"I know this guy is going to be a game-breaker, he's going to be a difference-maker."

"I think he's a dynamic kid. He may be the most aggressive violent runner with the ball after the catch for a receiver I can remember. He does a great job of getting his shoulders down and everything."

These are things GM's, scouts, and NFL analysts of known validity are saying about Watkins.  I tend to believe it when so many credible from different positions concur.