Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Were You Bill When We Needed You

utall

PM told BP that he was not healthy during the contract talks. What did BP do to try and help this team?

He's a chairman now, not President of football operations. The contract was between Peyton, his agent, and Irsay. I'm sure they were aware of his situation.

Besides, we hit a home run in every round of the draft, picked up more free agents than ever before (during the Peyton era), and were generally quite active. They did what the could, but early injuries, Peyton's inability to play, and a coaching staff that just can't make up it's mind for 4 full quarters will lead to where we are.

He's a chairman now, not President of football operations. The contract was between Peyton, his agent, and Irsay. I'm sure they were aware of his situation.

Besides, we hit a home run in every round of the draft, picked up more free agents than ever before (during the Peyton era), and were generally quite active. They did what the could, but early injuries, Peyton's inability to play, and a coaching staff that just can't make up it's mind for 4 full quarters will lead to where we are.

Are you really ready to call all of our draft picks home runs???????????? They have hardly been on the field so far.

Are you telling me that you dont know what PM said the other day about how his contract went down. He told them according to PM that he was not healthy. What more do you need to know?

Are you telling me that you dont know what PM said the other day about how his contract went down. He told them according to PM that he was not healthy. What more do you need to know?

Does nobody answer tough questions?

How can you say we hit a home run with all out draft picks. Castonzo, Ijalana and Nevis haven't hardly played, Carter has been pretty solid, and Rucker only plays because out secondary is a joke. I think those top 4 guys have some potential but I can't call them a homerun.

No, they will get lost in the rubble of the thread. A couple of my questions have been buried. No one wants to face the truth.

thanks im in tn. im really sorry that without PM the colts team cannot win. I cannot stand the love that is shown on these posts of how great BP is. He made one draft pick that has made him what he is today and without him he is nothing. NOthing.

0-9.

Enough said....

thanks im in tn. im really sorry that without PM the colts team cannot win. I cannot stand the love that is shown on these posts of how great BP is. He made one draft pick that has made him what he is today and without him he is nothing. NOthing.

I'm with ya!

Yeah, this is unacceptable. All of the success and awards go out the window when your team can not even get one win after one player falls. That tells the world that one man is bigger than our organization. If that is the case, then the GM or whoever put together the team has failed at doing his job. I'm not taking anything away from the few good players he did draft, but this season puts his abilities in question.

He had a 50-50 chance, He rode that coin flip for 10+ years..... Those years are over.....

Bye, Bill. (But 75% odds that Tweetie keeps him)

Edited by willysp

So, I'm not saying I want Polian to stay here, but it's not fair to say the Manning pick made him. He was well established as an NFL GM long before he came here.

Criticize him if you want, in many cases it's deserved, but be fair about it.

So, I'm not saying I want Polian to stay here, but it's not fair to say the Manning pick made him. He was well established as an NFL GM long before he came here.

Agreed. In the real world, the question is always 'what have you done lately?

For the sake of argument, I'll stipulate that Bill was a true football god back in the day.

Today - 0-9, heading for 1-15, +/- 1. Questions?

Edited by willysp

OK, it seems like we have 2 factions here. One, that wants to give credit where credit is due for Polian. Then, the other faction says "OK, I will play along if you want me to give credit so that I do not want to come off as contentious but my mind is made up anyway about Polian". So, what is there to answer here? Who needs convincing that what they say is right? Is the expectation that every single poster here has to come over here and say "Polian sucks, let us go out and buy a billboard for the same"? I am not the biggest fan of Polian myself, he has slipped lately with his personnel decisions and has been more miss than hit lately.

But when I see 4 potential starters from the 2011 draft that bucks a trend from the 2007-2010 drafts, I feel like Chris Polian, who is on a lame duck leash with his contract expiring in 2012 anyway as GM (I haven't heard of any extensions so far), at least needs to be given one more draft and offseason to show he can continue the ways of the 2011 draft and turn it around. I don't think that is unreasonable to ask for whatsoever.

I am confused, to be honest, as to what people want from this forum. Will any poster answering any questions of yours going to change your mind that is already made up? I doubt it. So, why bother us with your contentious tone of questioning if you already have the answers in your mind?

Edited by chad72

For the sake of argument, I'll stipulate that Bill was a true football god back in the day.

In response to the original question: What was supposed to take place during the lock out?

As far as you guy's hurt feeling sfor people not answering your 'tough' questions: Shouldn't you pretty much expect not to be answered when you bury your question in a thread about something else? Such as what's happened here?

Oh, Oh, yes, I have a question.

If you were the GM, what would you have done in the situation posed by the OP?

With me, I am commenting on Bill in Indy, not anywhere else. So far, the Peyton pick and a few other players made him (Freeney, Bethea, Edge, and a few others). Nothing else has stuck out to me (moves, transactions, etc.) during his tenure here.

In response to the original question: What was supposed to take place during the lock out?

As far as you guy's hurt feeling sfor people not answering your 'tough' questions: Shouldn't you pretty much expect not to be answered when you bury your question in a thread about something else? Such as what's happened here?

My beef with Polian is that he didn't prepare for life without Manning. Prior to the lockout, Polian had YEARS to build a defense, good ST's, a running game, and a lot more. People act as if we were suppose to start building for the future because Manning was in doubt. NO! That is riding the success on the back of another person. What should have done is build for future EVERY YEAR. But nope, we did what we did and continued with our "Put the game on Peyton's back" formula. Now we are stuck with this crappy team and crappy record. His work in Indy is in question as of now.

The NFL is a business and you do not run a business by putting all of eggs in one basket. If this was a company or something like that, we would be on the verge of bankruptcy right now.

Edited by smittywerb

But the mart people ask, "what can you do for me in the future" and then take into acount the persons whole body of work as well as potential for the future.

Based on that, Polian probably should be kept around, in my opinion. The one thing that makes me nervous is the increasing power of Chris. People are giving him credit for this years draft, but I still think this years draft was an example of Bill stepping back in. BP said he was going to take leadership of the draft a couple months before hand.

If they go in another direction, fine. But it will be a risk that I, personally, would not take.

OK, it seems like we have 2 factions here. One, that wants to give credit where credit is due for Polian. Then, the other faction says "OK, I will play along if you want me to give credit so that I do not want to come off as contentious but my mind is made up anyway about Polian". So, what is there to answer here? Who needs convincing that what they say is right? Is the expectation that every single poster here has to come over here and say "Polian sucks, let us go out and buy a billboard for the same"? I am not the biggest fan of Polian myself, he has slipped lately with his personnel decisions and has been more miss than hit lately.

But when I see 4 potential starters from the 2011 draft that bucks a trend from the 2007-2010 drafts, I feel like Chris Polian, who is on a lame duck leash with his contract expiring in 2012 anyway as GM (I haven't heard of any extensions so far), at least needs to be given one more draft and offseason to show he can continue the ways of the 2011 draft and turn it around. I don't think that is unreasonable to ask for whatsoever.

I am confused, to be honest, as to what people want from this forum. Will any poster answering any questions of yours going to change your mind that is already made up? I doubt it. So, why bother us with your contentious tone of questioning if you already have the answers in your mind?

I"m beginning to think dn has multiple personalities and each one has its own account.

Does nobody answer tough questions?

1- You could chill out just a touch and wait more than 20 minutes for someone to answer before throwing a tantrum.

2- The premise of the thread is, yet again, that Bill Polian is responsible for all things wrong with the Colts so the "tough question" that you asked was already answered. See below:

Edited by Jason

Yes the Colts knew Peyton wasn't healthy when he signed the contract but at that point in time everyone expected Peyton to be back by at least week 4. Just because they knew he was hurt didn't mean they knew it was this bad, no one did or you can bet Collins would have been brought in a lot sooner than he was. This can also be backed up by the fact the Colts took Peyton OFF the PUP list before the second surgery and Peyton was doing workouts the week before the surgery. The local media here has reported the Colts didn't realize how bad Peyton's neck was till the day of the final cuts and that's when they realized he was going to need more work done. If you go back and read Irsay's tweets that seems to back this time line up as well.

Also even if the Colts had known Peyton's neck was bad they were left with really three options, 1, let him play the year out under the franchise tag and have that cost more than his contract he signed is costing us and probably cost us most of our other free agents be brought back. 2. Sign the contract (which is what they did), or 3. Remove the franchise tag making Peyton Manning a free agent to sign with any team he wanted. Now which one of those would you have picked?