Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Offense...pun Intended

cmgww

For all I hear about this terrible Colts defense, I seem to get the sense that people around here are missing something. Let me preface by saying I think changes need to be made in the DC department, and the Colts play too vanilla. I get that. Now, that said...

IT IS THE OFFENSE, or lack thereof, that is really costing the Colts.

It's really simple. The best defense in the NFL, heck the '85 Bears D, couldn't have helped the Colts against the Falcons last Sunday. Why? B/c the Colts offense cannot sustain drives! 0 offensive points. ZEEEE-RO. Does that not compute with anyone here? What does it matter if the Colts get big stops if the offense just goes 3 and out and gives the ball right back to the other team?? This defense plays well at times. They got the ball back for the offense several times against the Falcons in the early going. But when they are forced onto the field repeatedly b/c the O can't get out of its own way, well, they are going to wear down.

So enough with the "terrible defense" threads. We all know they are terrible right now. But it's not like they are getting any help from the offense. We all know this team and its defense was designed around Peyton Manning and the offense putting up points. So why is it a huge surprise that they are struggling now? I don't think the D was designed to "play with a lead" either, b/c I've witnessed in years past many defensive stands that allowed Peyton and Co. to march it right back down the field to win....But without Manning, everything has changed. It has hopefully caused the front office to realize that big changes need to be made, wholesale changes. If Manning indeed retires, we can't build our D around the QB (Luck or whoever takes his place). That's what the Colts have done for so long, and it made sense as Manning was the iron man who never missed a meaningful snap.

And don't give me the "if we had a better D the Colts would have more Super Bowls" argument either. It doesn't hold water. Even with Peyton the Colts offense has struggled in the playoffs. It was the Colts offense that couldn't get a 3rd and 2 in 2008 vs. the Chargers, the Colts offense that played terribly against the Steelers in 2005, Marvin Harrison that fumbled when the Colts were driving to go up 14-0 against SD in 2007 (oh and Freeney was missing, that might have made a bit of a difference). And it was the Colts offense that, despite setting all kinds of records in 2004, could only muster 3 measly points at NE in the playoffs. Just thought I'd through this part in to chew on....

Summary: We need more defensive playmakers and a more aggressive and inventive DC. But please realize we probably aren't having this conversation if Manning is playing right now. He is THAT BIG of a difference maker, bigger than Brady, probably bigger than any QB in the history of the league.

You better duck...how dare you blame the colts record on the players and the offense.... :angry:

What are you talking about now? You think people are going to berate him for blaming the offense when they put up zero points? People berate you for making *ic claims that it's somehow Peyton's fault our team sucks. OP's definitely got a lot of good points. He's not saying it's all the offense's fault, he also says the defense is pretty bad. It is a team effort. Your posts have always been of the opinion that it's nobody's fault including coaches/management......and now apparently it's our injured qb's fault. You make no sense.

OP I think you're pretty much echoing what I've been trying to say for a while. Peyton is so good that he covers all the deficiencies of the offense and allows the defense to get some more rest by not going 3 and out every single drive.

What are you talking about now? You think people are going to berate him for blaming the offense when they put up zero points? People berate you for making *ic claims that it's somehow Peyton's fault our team sucks. OP's definitely got a lot of good points. He's not saying it's all the offense's fault, he also says the defense is pretty bad. It is a team effort. Your posts have always been of the opinion that it's nobody's fault including coaches/management......and now apparently it's our injured qb's fault. You make no sense.

OP I think you're pretty much echoing what I've been trying to say for a while. Peyton is so good that he covers all the deficiencies of the offense and allows the defense to get some more rest by not going 3 and out every single drive.

D cannot get off on third downs.

We would have some wins if the Colts had a competent QB.

even brady or peyton or any other qb could not move this team behind our present o-line they dont give our receivers time to get downfield, any qb would be making dump passes and finally getting neck surgery,bp has tried to fix the o-line with no results, hope peyton does not play until we get the o-line fixed

Until the last few weeks, I felt as though our defense played pretty well when healthy. But our offense would go 3-and-out in literally 30 seconds, and they'd be right back out there. It eventually caught up to them late in a lot of the close contests, and now it's hitting them at the macro level (ie: the season).

People gripe about the defense, but I bet you, with Manning, this may have been the best defense he would have had. The secondary would have been far less relevant, that's for sure, and they wouldn't be on the field all night long. Nevis, Moala, Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, Angerer, Brackett (if healthy), Connor, Hughes and Wheeler would have been a nasty rotation around the front 7. Especially when Peyton's doing his thing on the other side.

Until the last few weeks, I felt as though our defense played pretty well when healthy. But our offense would go 3-and-out in literally 30 seconds, and they'd be right back out there. It eventually caught up to them late in a lot of the close contests, and now it's hitting them at the macro level (ie: the season).

People gripe about the defense, but I bet you, with Manning, this may have been the best defense he would have had. The secondary would have been far less relevant, that's for sure, and they wouldn't be on the field all night long. Nevis, Moala, Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, Angerer, Brackett (if healthy), Connor, Hughes and Wheeler would have been a nasty rotation around the front 7. Especially when Peyton's doing his thing on the other side.

This is was exactly my point....It all hinges on Manning. Doogan made an excellent point, this defense would have probably been really good with Manning in there b/c he changes the game so much.

But back to what i said, it doesn't matter if the D gets 3 and outs, which they have in a lot of situations when the games were not out of hand....the offense can't score points. Thus the D is back on the field, again. That's where injuries and wearing down occur.

My only finger pointing is that, in hindsight, the Colts should have drafted a capable backup a few years back. Again it's hindsight, and before the season (before we knew of Manning's neck issue being worse than thought) even I would have said that isn't needed. Manning had never missed a start. It's easy to say now that it should have happened, we all should have seen it coming. But again, he NEVER missed a meaningful snap since high school.

we could have some wins if our o-line could hold the d off long enough for our receivers to get downfield

They are, with a few exceptions, giving Painter some decent time. How many times did he step up in the pocket, not see anyone open, and run against the Falcons? More than a few. It's b/c he isn't that good. The old saying goes..."give a backup QB enough time and he'll show you why he should be a backup" You think Manning does that? No. He steps up, finds the open guy in about 0.5 seconds and makes the throw. He had a crap line last year and still put up a terrific overall season (did have a slump, which he admittedly was pressing, but also was missing a ton of key skill guys) Add in the running game which has been better this year, and we're not even having this discussion right now.

There is only one piece missing between this 0-16 atrocity and yet another 12-4 and we all know it.

Just imagine what he could have done if he hadn't had to carry the team for a decade.

Polian has built a hollow shell of a team.

let me add.......a hollow shell of a team that was one of the top 5 franchises in the sport for a decade.