Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collin Kaepernick allegedly being investigated for sexual assault.

Dustin

That may be true in the first case; but in the second case, Ben had a lot of help from the Midgeville police department who were dismissive of the claims made by the woman.

They told Ben about the accusation, but they never formally interviewed him. 

They released a non-detailed report so as not to alert the news media.

And, they failed to secure the crime scene which led to the disappearance of a surveillance video and the bathroom being scrubbed down with Pine Sol and Clorox. 

I'm all for justice being served; but in this case, it was not.

Pretty sure the woman told the prosecutor's that she didn't want to go forward with the case anyways.  

If you believe someone viciously attacked you and you don't want to go forward with a criminal case I would say that I quite frankly doubt your story.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a gray area situation unless there';s more to come

...she's not sure she was assaulted..and they had a past relationship...\\\\\\

....and they were together 2 days later..did I read that right?

This seems more a domestic dispute than anything else.

Didn't catch the part where they where together two days later.

Pretty sure the woman told the prosecutor's that she didn't want to go forward with the case anyways.  

If you believe someone viciously attacked you and you don't want to go forward with a criminal case I would say that I quite frankly doubt your story.

Jeez, there are a multitude of reasons why a rape victim would not be willing to move forward with a case. Just as there are many reasons why so many of them never report it in the first place.

I would say that's unlikely at this point.  One key piece of evidence is several people at the same time, likely without fully knowing about each-other telling very similar stories.  Which shows he has a consistent method.  That's not true in Big Ben's case.  

There is a reason why his case is going to trial.  They have evidence against Sharper.  They never had evidence against Rothlisberger.  

In Big Ben's case, a Georgia police officer Sgt. Jerry Blash did act like a responsible law officer that's why Big Ben walked away & was not prosecuted. 

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/ben-roethlisberger-accusation-emerges/story?id=10394816

"Sgt. Jerry Blash, the officer who took the first report from Roethlisberger's accuser at the nightclub, has resigned from the police force.

The documents show Blash has posed for pictures with Roethlisberger earlier in the night and acknowledged to investigators that he made derogatory statements about Roethlisberger's accuser to other officers. Blash was the only officer to interview Roethlisberger about the accusation against him." 

Sounds like this officer got mesmerized by Ben Ben's fame, looked the other way, & compromised the whole investigation from the start to me. Why else resign? Did his Captain say retire or face charges yourself regarding the failure to conduct proper interviews of all witnesses at the scene of the crime? It looks that way to me.

"Fred Bright, the district attorney for the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit in Milledgeville held a press conference to say Roethlisberger's accuser did not want to press charges, and he would not have enough evidence to create a case without her testimony." 

Did Mr. Bright, the Georgia DA, have no case against Big Ben because Sgt. Blash compromised the investigation long enough for Big Ben's legal team to offer her a non disclosure agreement to walk away, get handsomely paid, & never speak of this incident again publicly? I can't confirm that fact, but all signs point in that direction. Enough said. 

Jeez, there are a multitude of reasons why a rape victim would not be willing to move forward with a case. Just as there are many reasons why so many of them never report it in the first place.

Fear?  Get a backbone and do what's right.  

I've turned a person in for a serious crime before.  All it requires is having a backbone.  

Fear?  Get a backbone and do what's right.  

I've turned a person in for a serious crime before.  All it requires is having a backbone.  

No actually, it's a lot more complicated than that. With the way people quickly vilify victims and question their credibility, is it any wonder so many of them don't come forward? This is why the culture needs to change.

No actually, it's a lot more complicated than that. With the way people quickly vilify victims and question their credibility, is it any wonder so many of them don't come forward? This is why the culture needs to change.

If you are going to accuse someone of something your credibility is going to be called into question as you are the primary witness against them.  That's called the criminal justice system.  

The constitution does give the accused the right to face their accusers in court.  

What culture do you want?  One where we throw people in jail on the basis of just an accusation of course without the accuser being seriously questioned by anyone because we wouldn't want to question her credibility.

You know what's funny though is in this country her name can't be published.  So it really is a lack of backbone or a lack of willingness to face tough questions.  Because the newspapers can't even publish your name.  

Of course his name is trash no matter how it turns out.

If you are going to accuse someone of something your credibility is going to be called into question as you are the primary witness against them.  That's called the criminal justice system.  

The constitution does give the accused the right to face their accusers in court.  

What culture do you want?  One where we throw people in jail on the basis of just an accusation of course without the accuser being seriously questioned by anyone because we wouldn't want to question her credibility.

But all too often, we're not talking about questioning credibility in a courtroom context. I'm talking about active victim blaming. It is disturbingly common for people to doubt and publicly shame a survivor of sexual assault. In a college/campus situation or when a professional athlete is involved, the dialogue is even worse, to the point where someone might feel pressured to retract their statement or say, drop out of school. These are serious issues man. 

But all too often, we're not talking about questioning credibility in a courtroom context. I'm talking about active victim blaming. It is disturbingly common for people to doubt and publicly shame a survivor of sexual assault. In a college/campus situation or when a professional athlete is involved, the dialogue is even worse, to the point where someone might feel pressured to retract their statement or say, drop out of school. These are serious issues man. 

I would say they are a lot less serious then you think.  Does it happen.  Yeah some people do blame the victims of rape. 

But it's not nearly common as you think.  Especially since no one really knows the person's name it's really hard to blame a nameless person.  How is a person's credibility suppose to be called into question when no one is allowed to know who that person is in the first place?

I'd say the serious issue here that happens all too often is Colin Kapernick has lost his reputation and is being called a rapist in a case where the complaintent isn't even sure any sex even happened.  

I would say they are a lot less serious then you think.  Does it happen.  Yeah some people do blame the victims of rape. 

But it's not nearly common as you think.  Especially since no one really knows the person's name it's really hard to blame a nameless person.  How is a person's credibility suppose to be called into question when no one is allowed to know who that person is in the first place?

I'd say the serious issue here that happens all too often is Colin Kapernick has lost his reputation and is being called a rapist in a case where the complaintent isn't even sure any sex even happened.  

You'd be surprised. There have been a number of studies done describing just how little progress we've made on this exact issue. And as far as the name is concerned, rape shield laws are extremely flawed. The Winston case is a good example.

In the end though, I feel like we'll just have to agree to disagree. And for the record, I sincerely hope CK is innocent. From that article it appears that a woman ended up in the hospital with no memory of the previous night and the police are just investigating what happened. No assault charges have been filed as of yet.

You'd be surprised. There have been a number of studies done describing just how little progress we've made on this exact issue. And as far as the name is concerned, rape shield laws are extremely flawed. The Winston case is a good example.

In the end though, I feel like we'll just have to agree to disagree. And for the record, I sincerely hope CK is innocent. From that article it appears that a woman ended up in the hospital with no memory of the previous night and the police are just investigating what happened. No assault charges have been filed as of yet.

My problem is mostly with the people that hear this stuff and prematurely decide he's guilty.  It sounds like he may not have done anything but you already have people calling him Colin *.  

If everyone was mature and decided to wait for the trial then there would be a lot less problems.  But the police can clear Kap.  But this one is gonna follow him for a while.  

Rape Shield laws are flawed because they don't protect both parties.

My problem is mostly with the people that hear this stuff and prematurely decide he's guilty.  It sounds like he may not have done anything but you already have people calling him Colin *.  

If everyone was mature and decided to wait for the trial then there would be a lot less problems.  But the police can clear Kap.  But this one is gonna follow him for a while.  

Yeah, I understand. And to the bolded, the problem is that the shield laws are two-fold, with respect to protecting the name and insulating past sexual history from the court system. Public disclosure of a name is a different debate, but hiding a defendant's past assault history - for example, in the case of a serial rapist - might not be feasible. Many people have proposed revised versions of the law, however.

You don't see the problem in making an alleged victim's name public intimidation wise?  Why would the prosecution grant the same privilege to the defense when they will have an opportunity to cross examine the person making the rape allegation? Sorry, I am diametrically opposed to that move. That's like violating the rape victim all over again. 

Rape shield laws are designed to protect those who were supposedly violated against their will. Why would a hypothetical perpetrator need their name withheld from public scrutiny? Yes of course, the allegation could be false, but that's what defense lawyers are for to protect the accuser's civil & legal rights & redacted testimony blacked out by a sharpie is hard to read & comprehend by reporters. 

Defense lawyers are paid to protect their client in the court of public opinion i.e. do damage control. That's not the D.A.'s job. 

I don't understand why every time one of these threads involving a player allegedly committing assault or sexual assault has to digress into the issues with our legal system as some way to fault the accuser vs the accused.

While it is unfortunate that Kaepernick is being name called perhaps he should have kept better company last week and not been at a party with drinking and pot. The flip side has also happened for this guy where guys like Jaws were anointing him the best QB in the league as recent as last season based on him starting less then 10 games. That is the world we live in. Name calling does not mean he is guilty but when you have his profile then you have to be more careful who you hang with and what parties you go to. He should have learned this last year when he was wearing a Miami hat and got a ton of flak for it. That is the media world we live and these guys benefit from it as much as get hurt from it. I mean look at RG with his logo and all.

With all the recent hardline responses to crimes regarding nfl players it makes me wonder about what the QB situation in SF is going to be like next year.

I really doubt Kaepernick will be convicted/released but it would leave them in a poor situation imo if he is. I know Harbaugh is a QB guru but could he fix Gabbert and make him in to a solid starter? Do SF draft a QB in rounds 2 to 4 rounds to potentially start (eg. Carr/ Mccarron/ ect)? Would he still have a future in the NFL? 

But this is all me speculating on what could possibly happen. Most likely nothing will occur from this though.

What is up with this guy and Miami? He was wearing the Dolphins has last year and now this story of assault in Miami. If you want to stay out of trouble in the off-season most guys know to stay away from Miami especially when your team is the niners.

Although CK might have a place in Miami & chill there in an offseason crib, your point is noteworthy since Miami seems to be a "hot bed" of activity for CK for all the wrong reasons. 

Maybe he should just stay at home in California & watch Direct TV. I can already hear the voice over narrator guy already..."Don't wear a different team's hat, travel to Florida, & get accused of an unspeakable crime. Just stay at home in San Fran, drop cable, & switch to Direct TV." Sorry my bad. That imagery just popped into my head.

I meant no offense to the alleged rape victim, CK himself, or any forum member on this site. My apologies.  

From what we know so far it sounds mainly like a night of heavy partying gone wrong.   The fact that the woman requested to fill out an incident report with the police suggests she may want to pursue it, though.  It could be a shakedown attempt or the woman could be genuinely concerned that Kaepernick (or one of the others) had sex with her after she passed out.  Hard to say.

You don't see the problem in making an alleged victim's name public intimidation wise? Why would the prosecution grant the same privilege to the defense when they will have an opportunity to cross examine the person making the rape allegation? Sorry, I am diametrically opposed to that move. That's like violating the rape victim all over again.

Rape shield laws are designed to protect those who were supposedly violated against their will. Why would a hypothetical perpetrator need their name withheld from public scrutiny? Yes of course, the allegation could be false, but that's what defense lawyers are for to protect the accuser's civil & legal rights & redacted testimony blacked out by a sharpie is hard to read & comprehend by reporters.

Defense lawyers are paid to protect their client in the court of public opinion i.e. do damage control. That's not the D.A.'s job.

a celebrity accused of rape, front page news espn, cnn.

A celebrity found not guilty of rape, back page news, scroll on the bottom of the page

There needs to be stiff penalties for those that accuse and make false statements.

a celebrity accused of rape, front page news espn, cnn.

A celebrity found not guilty of rape, back page news, scroll on the bottom of the page

There needs to be stiff penalties for those that accuse and make false statements.

I have no objection to people making false allegations regarding sexual assault being brought to justice jvan. I'm not in favor of letting lairs who destroy a man's life walk off, unscathed, & scot free. 

I don't really care if the media issues a retraction or where in their online newspaper they put it. Retractions don't mean anything from a legal standpoint. That's what civil litigation for punitive damages are for any victim wrongly accused by an organization like CNN, ESPN, FOX, or MSNBC. 

People tend to believe a victim or wrongly accused perpetrator or they don't. No retraction is gonna sway the masses 1 way or another IMO, which makes them almost null & void in their impact.

Damage control is usually down via the media lecture circuit with your attorney present to pay for your legal fees & remold a person's bruised image. 

I have no objection to people making false allegations regarding sexual assault being brought to justice jvan. I'm not in favor of letting lairs who destroy a man's life walk off, unscathed, & scot free.

I don't really care if the media issues a retraction or where in their online newspaper they put it. Retractions don't mean anything from a legal standpoint. That's what civil litigation for punitive damages are for any victim wrongly accused by an organization like CNN, ESPN, FOX, or MSNBC.

well its not a false accusation on the medias part. They are just reporting what they have been accused of.

What is the legal difference between sexual assault and rape?  If she was a sleep, how does she know she was assaulted after getting naked?  I assume rape leaves evidence of some type, including brutality.

Before the word "bong" was introduced into the article, I knew that getting stoned on pot was about the only reason such a muttley crew of individuals would be gathering in a private room together.  Why else?

Just being a flat-beaked-hat sideways wearing tatooed straight-line fast runner passing himself off as an NFL QB gives me enough knowledge to know he is just another stoner. 

She should be smart enough to know too.

Just being a flat-beaked-hat sideways wearing tatooed straight-line fast runner passing himself off as an NFL QB gives me enough knowledge to know he is just another stoner. 

Go ahead and say what you really mean by that, I mean I get it, you don't like him, as most people love throwing that up there.

Ever since this kid came out, we have to hear about the tattoos and the "he looks like a thug" type comments. It's just another excuse as to why people don't like him which translates to something else.

I don't understand why every time one of these threads involving a player allegedly committing assault or sexual assault has to digress into the issues with our legal system as some way to fault the accuser vs the accused.

That's the price of having a country full of rape apologists that are always making excuses for them.

It's a blame the victim game, and they play that game very good. You know they are winning it when sex offenders don't get near as much time in prison as some poor kid that gets busted with pot.

well its not a false accusation on the medias part. They are just reporting what they have been accused of.

Good point. For the most part, I agree with you except in cases where how an alleged victim or person is covered on the air can have an inflammatory, character assassination tone in a few rare instances, but overall generally speaking you are right on the money jvan. 

Go ahead and say what you really mean by that, I mean I get it, you don't like him, as most people love throwing that up there.

Ever since this kid came out, we have to hear about the tattoos and the "he looks like a thug" type comments. It's just another excuse as to why people don't like him which translates to something else.

Don't have any pre-conceived ideas about what I'm saying. 

What I mean is....He looks like someone who puts a priority on being cool, to people who think that flat beaks and sideways hats and tats are cool, and getting stoned.  I am free to judge him as a *, based upon who his fashion tastes are trying to score points with and his recreational activites.  He is free to judge people like me as being intolerant, or to judge people who wear button-down collars and khakis however he wants.  You'll never here this said in public, but the truth is.....No one is under any obligation to like anyone else, and are free to judge people whenever and however thay want to, despite what is PC kool-aid dispensers tell us.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for having my own ways of judging him.  And I was right about him being a stoner, so my way is probably pretty accurate.

Without being able to run fast around the edge and have an offense catered to him doing that, it would be difficult for him to be a consistent threat from the QB position.  Successful QB's do scramble, but they also tend to have more lateral agility than he does, and less straight line speed. QB's need to be able to move sideways to avoid a rush, not to run a 4.4 40 down the sideline. 

What I mean is....He looks like someone who puts a priority on being cool, to people who think that flat beaks and sideways hats and tats are cool, and getting stoned. I am free to judge him as a *, based upon who his fashion tastes are trying to score points with and his recreational activites. He is free to judge people like me as being intolerant, or to judge people who wear button-down collars and khakis however he wants. You'll never here this said in public, but the truth is.....No one is under any obligation to like anyone else, and are free to judge people whenever and however thay want to, despite what is PC kool-aid dispensers tell us.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for having my own ways of judging him. And I was right about him being a stoner, so my way is probably pretty accurate.

Without being able to run fast around the edge and have an offense catered to him doing that, it would be difficult for him to be a consistent threat from the QB position. Successful QB's do scramble, but they also tend to have more lateral agility than he does, and less straight line speed. QB's need to be able to move sideways to avoid a rush, not to run a 4.4 40 down the sideline.

where is the evidence that he is a stoner?

What I mean is....He looks like someone who puts a priority on being cool, to people who think that flat beaks and sideways hats and tats are cool, and getting stoned. I am free to judge him as a *, based upon who his fashion tastes are trying to score points with and his recreational activites. He is free to judge people like me as being intolerant, or to judge people who wear button-down collars and khakis however he wants. You'll never here this said in public, but the truth is.....No one is under any obligation to like anyone else, and are free to judge people whenever and however thay want to, despite what is PC kool-aid dispensers tell us.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for having my own ways of judging him. And I was right about him being a stoner, so my way is probably pretty accurate.

Without being able to run fast around the edge and have an offense catered to him doing that, it would be difficult for him to be a consistent threat from the QB position. Successful QB's do scramble, but they also tend to have more lateral agility than he does, and less straight line speed. QB's need to be able to move sideways to avoid a rush, not to run a 4.4 40 down the sideline.

How is this relevant? The language in your posts says more about you and your character than your button-down shirts and khakis do. At least Kapernick sounds respectful.

I don't see anything to this. Am I the only one?

"I got drunk and high with some friends. My lover and I started making out, he left the room and I then fell asleep. I woke up in the hospital".

Why would someone who just assaulted someone take them to the hospital?

I don't see anything to this. Am I the only one?

"I got drunk and high with some friends. My lover and I started making out, he left the room and I then fell asleep. I woke up in the hospital".

Why would someone who just assaulted someone take them to the hospital?

It never said who took her to the hospital. And she passed out on the bed after being completely undressed with two other guys looking in on her. We also don't know what her injuries were that landed her in the hospital or could have been from the drugs. She assumes she smoked pot but who knows what might have been in there. There is much to this story IMO.

I don't know if Colin Kaepernick is guilty of sexual assault or not; I'd have to see more evidence before accusing him of anything. However, he and the other players should be more careful how they spend their off season. Sometimes it seems that they go looking for trouble. Being such high profile players, I think that they should be more aware of how they act  in public since they are representing their teams.

You don't see the problem in making an alleged victim's name public intimidation wise?  Why would the prosecution grant the same privilege to the defense when they will have an opportunity to cross examine the person making the rape allegation? Sorry, I am diametrically opposed to that move. That's like violating the rape victim all over again. 

Rape shield laws are designed to protect those who were supposedly violated against their will. Why would a hypothetical perpetrator need their name withheld from public scrutiny? Yes of course, the allegation could be false, but that's what defense lawyers are for to protect the accuser's civil & legal rights & redacted testimony blacked out by a sharpie is hard to read & comprehend by reporters. 

Defense lawyers are there to protect them in court.  No one, absolutely no one can give them their reputation back once the accusation is made.  

That's why their name needs to be withheld too.  At the very least until a conviction.  

Defense lawyers are there to protect them in court.  No one, absolutely no one can give them their reputation back once the accusation is made.  

That's why their name needs to be withheld too.  At the very least until a conviction.  

The only issue with that is what if others know the individual being accused and can be witness either for or against him?

What I mean is....He looks like someone who puts a priority on being cool, to people who think that flat beaks and sideways hats and tats are cool, and getting stoned.  I am free to judge him as a *, based upon who his fashion tastes are trying to score points with and his recreational activites.  He is free to judge people like me as being intolerant, or to judge people who wear button-down collars and khakis however he wants.  You'll never here this said in public, but the truth is.....No one is under any obligation to like anyone else, and are free to judge people whenever and however thay want to, despite what is PC kool-aid dispensers tell us.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for having my own ways of judging him.  And I was right about him being a stoner, so my way is probably pretty accurate.

Without being able to run fast around the edge and have an offense catered to him doing that, it would be difficult for him to be a consistent threat from the QB position.  Successful QB's do scramble, but they also tend to have more lateral agility than he does, and less straight line speed. QB's need to be able to move sideways to avoid a rush, not to run a 4.4 40 down the sideline. 

What on earth does the way he play QB have to do with the topic at hand?  Are you a Hawks fan?

The only issue with that is what if others know the individual being accused and can be witness either for or against him?

Ask them questions on an individual basis.  

And for the record why doesn't that apply to the accuser?  What if others know the individual making the accusation and know's they are serial liar who routinely makes things up or someone who will do absolutely anything to get revenge on someone??

It works both ways.  Defense has the right to get witnesses too to question the credibility of the accuser.