Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South

MrNLM

I would just like to take a moment to talk about all the things the Colts are doing right in a division that is primed for a bump in performance. I know many on this board have said things concerning players they wish the Colts would have pursued but, if you just look at what is going on in the division I think we are making the right moves.

The Colts have:

• The QB of the future
  • A budding defense that is both familiar in the right places and excitingly new where it matters.
  • An offensive line that I think will surprise many of us who have become accustomed to the doldrums of years passed.(especially with blocking help from TEs and RBs)
  • Gobs of talent at the WR, RB and TE postions.
  • A Punter who may change the position forever if he starts getting chances to kick long FGs

The rest of the AFC South all need their respective QBs of the future and are not nearly as well rounded as we are currently.

I think the Jags are getting there slowly as far as being well rounded but, with Blackmon one screw-up away from a year long ban(or is it banned for life?) they are walking a thin line at WR with that looming over head. Sanders and Shorts are nice but, much better with Blackmon on the field. I expect their defense to make some strides(thanks for that, Gus) and I actually like their trio at RB. Todman, Gerhart, and Robinson will wear down a D-line as they rotate all game long. Get them a QB and the arrow will be pointing up with some good decision making.

The Titans retained who they should have and have made some ok moves on defense. Losing Verner might hurt but, I am not certain about that. The looming release of CJ?K leaves a hole at RB but, other than that I think they have a nice duo at WR and serviceable TEs. I like what they are doing with their O-line and it keeps getting deeper it seems. If they find themselves with the right QB who is smart enough to take what he is given then that O-line will keep him upright to make more plays.

The Texans... OH, THE TEXANS! The defense is looking solid like always. However, they are still starving for talent at the WR position with AJ getting up there in age and Hopkins still wet behind the ears IMO. Arian Foster is always a force to be reckoned with but, with a new regime in town I don't know if he will be the focus anymore... and that worries me. BOB will find his man to sling the ball around and if they are smart...they get out of the #1 spot in the draft, and load up on offensive talent for their new QB.

IMHO I think we are on par, if not, exceeding our division rivals in all areas on the broad spectrum of offense and defense. Now, if you want to look at individual positions we may find some room for argument but, this is a team game and I think our team tops those three.

The draft is right around the corner and I can't wait to see if my opinion changes based on what the AFC South does.

No matter what... I am certainly proud to be a Colts fan!

I thought Blackmon was banned for life? Or suspended indefinitely? (Banned for life haha )

they said suspended indefinitely but, his second offense should have been for 8 games(which is exactly how many games were left last season). So, unless he screws up again... he will be on the field for game 1. I am glad he is a block head off the field otherwise, I would be so scared to face him twice a year. 

The Jags are the team to look out for. That defense is a few pieces away from being formidable. I see them drafting Khalil Mack in the 1st. I also see them getting Bishop Sankey or one of the top RB's. And with Gratz and Cyprien already in place, they could be set to have a Seahawks like defense where they have a good front,and equally good secondary.

Be it the Jags or Texans, it looks very likely that we will be facing Johnny Football twice a year from now on.

And still the :colts: will win the AFC south

This year proved that without his team that beat Alabama, Manziel isn't as electrifying

Still a great player though

Only thing with him is can he take an NFL hit? Seems small to me. Someone like Whitner get a hold of him, could he survive?

If the Texans, Jags, or Titans go Johnny Manziel the Colts would be in a whole lotta trouble.... Our defense has NOT been able to contain scrambling quarterbacks.. Maybe it's the lack of playing May games against them but it really has not been the Colts D strong suit! Manziel would be a huge problem for our Defense and if the texans really wanted to just try and beat the Colts they should pick him... I doubt any of the teams in the AFC South will though! To many holes to fill for all of them..

Frankly, I think Manziel is pretty tough and going to be a good (if not great) NFL player. To be honest, I would rather if the Browns or Raiders drafted him. 

I am inclined to believe the same thing but, I have not really done my homework. I just have a feeling he will slip in the draft and be a steal for the right team(slip or not). I can see Maziel taking the Jags OUT of the "Worst teams in th NFL" conversation rather quickly.

He could do great with the Texans as well. Titans are the team that I see as the less likely fit.

Frankly, I think Manziel is pretty tough and going to be a good (if not great) NFL player. To be honest, I would rather if the Browns or Raiders drafted him.

Being tough doesn't stop you from getting injured.

I don't know if it means anything but that kid has "star" written all over him. I expect him to an overachiever in the NFL.

My opinion of JM has changed.  I believe he is a leader and a baller.  He must learn to work out of the pocket if he is going to have a lengthy career.  If his coach can teach him to use his arm instead of his legs, he will make some team a great QB.  Kid has a cannon for an arm, even though he isn't that big. 

Andrew is tough, but that hasn't kept him from being injured

Well, something has helped him. He has been hit hard more than any other QB in the NFL for the last two years. I cringed at some of those hits and I was surprised to see him get right up. I think he is plenty tough.

Well, something has helped him. He has been hit hard more than any other QB in the NFL for the last two years. I cringed at some of those hits and I was surprised to see him get right up. I think he is plenty tough.

i said he was tough, that doesn't keep an ACL tear if someone rolls up on his leg. Andrew has played through pain, i have no doubt But being hurt and being injured are two different things

Being tough doesn't stop you from getting injured.

^Agree^  Being tough (willing to pick yourself up/play through pain, etc...) doesn't necessarily = Durable.  Some players just have a more "durable build"; JM's build doesn't scream durability to me.

The AFC South was the worst division in the NFL last year.  If it wasn't for Indy's record they all would've been a joke.  I don't see any of the other three even coming close this year.  Houston is decent but had an unexpected horrible year, and having a rookie quarterback you can almost bet they don't make the playoffs this year.  Tennessee could make some noise but it seems they always fall short.  Then there's Jacksonville!  I cant even remember the last time they made the playoffs.  I think the Colts could sweep, but guarantee they at least win the AFC South this season.  After Indy's quick rebuilding process and great young talent on their roster it appears that this will be another decade of dominance in their division.

I think everyone discounts Houston too quickly. Johnson is still LEGIT..Hopkins was a very nice addition. They can always run the ball and Foster is solid which will help whatever QB they get. On defense we all know Watts will bounce back with another DPOY campaign. Cushing has always been a great LB...Mercilus should continue to grow as he wasn't bad. They have solid corners and the back end is solid too. IMO adding Mack to that defense where he can play multiple positions would make them really scary. I think they should hold off and maybe take Mecklenberger from LSU...and have Fitzpatrick start at first. They lost a lot of close games last year and are FAR better than their record showed. A new coach and signal caller could really help the team bounce back. IMO they are a 500 team at worst...and will possibly battle us out til late in the year for the division. They obviously need a nice solid qb...but to me they could add some help on that defensive line as well but Mack to me would have a HUGE impact on that defense. Can play inside or outside linebacker and be VERY dissruptive. I don't know if they could trade back to 9 and get him but say to 3 or 4 maybe depending on what they see going on.

The AFC South was the worst division in the NFL last year.  If it wasn't for Indy's record they all would've been a joke.  I don't see any of the other three even coming close this year.  Houston is decent but had an unexpected horrible year, and having a rookie quarterback you can almost bet they don't make the playoffs this year.  Tennessee could make some noise but it seems they always fall short.  Then there's Jacksonville!  I cant even remember the last time they made the playoffs.  I think the Colts could sweep, but guarantee they at least win the AFC South this season.  After Indy's quick rebuilding process and great young talent on their roster it appears that this will be another decade of dominance in their division.

It wasn't too long ago that the NFC West was the worst division in football and look at what they have done. The NFCW has 4 coaches who have come in and flipped things quickly. Ken Wizzy and Gus Bradley can very well do the same thing to bolster our own division. I expect BoB to show signs of early success with a rookie QB. I would expect Wizzy to go after a veteran QB as it seems he does best with a vested signal caller(maybe not this year but, next...). Gus is one who I think doesn't care who his QB is as long as he can run his system

I think the Jags are the darkhorse to make a splash in the season while both the Texans and the Titans will be hovering around .500 most of the season with one making a push to get into the playoffs while the other fades away..

What has helped him is addition to being tough is he is a broad shouldered 6'4 240 lbs.

All I kno is that we need a safety or we are gonna be in some trouble... our run D hasnt been the greatest, and having a good , strang safety would definately help... and a good one just became available from houston.. lets hope the colts look at him... Daniel manning

I am all for bringing DMan on board but, at the right price for a 33 yo safety coming off an injury. This intrigues me more as I see the need for a pair of veterans to show the new kid(s) the ropes for a while.

The Jags are the team to look out for. That defense is a few pieces away from being formidable. I see them drafting Khalil Mack in the 1st. I also see them getting Bishop Sankey or one of the top RB's. And with Gratz and Cyprien already in place, they could be set to have a Seahawks like defense where they have a good front,and equally good secondary.

Yeah but when are they gonna get a QB? 2015 draft?

Yeah but when are they gonna get a QB? 2015 draft?

I think they'll either draft Garroppolo in the 2nd or wait until next year and look at Mariota or Winston. They can get a QB whenever they want. I mean they're loaded with draft picks this year. They could just rebuild the rest of their team this draft and leave QB for next year so that the QB of the future comes into a perfect situation.

I think they'll either draft Garroppolo in the 2nd or wait until next year and look at Mariota or Winston. They can get a QB whenever they want. I mean they're loaded with draft picks this year. They could just rebuild the rest of their team this draft and leave QB for next year so that the QB of the future comes into a perfect situation.

They should have kept Gabbert for that.  Chad Henne might actually win them a few games.  

The Colts are best in the division. I would be extremely disappointed and shocked if they don't win the AFC South easily next year.  The division is not the problem, the problem is how they will fare against the rest of the top teams in the AFC and I feel most of the fans here will be disappointed with how that turns out.