Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Difference in role between DE and DT in 3-4

Valpo2004

Can anyone tell me the difference in role between the DE and DT position in the 3-4.  

DT I understand as being the middle 2 players in a 4-3 while a NT I understand as being the middle guy on the 3-4.

Is DT usually just the guy on the side with the rush linebacker?

The way I understand it the DEs in a 3/4 are similar to the DTs in a 4/3.  the difference is the DE in a 3/4 are split in the middle by a NT, and the  4/3DEs are moved out and back as OLBs.  

so:

4/3 -   DE DT DT DE                                               3/4-       DE NT DE

CB LB MLB LB CB                                              CB  OLB LB LB OLB CB

ss fs                                                                         ss  fs 

Do I have this right?

Can anyone tell me the difference in role between the DE and DT position in the 3-4.  

DT I understand as being the middle 2 players in a 4-3 while a NT I understand as being the middle guy on the 3-4.

The DT will usually line up on the strong side (if no strong side then the wide side of the field, if no strong side and no wide side of the field (ie going against a balanced formation in the middle of the field) then, I believe he lines up on the offensive right side) and has 2 gap responsibility.

well this is up for some interpretation but here is a link that I've found helpful in understanding the Colts' hybrid front:

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2013-articles/june/explaining-the-colts-3-4-defensive-line.html

My understanding of it is that the DE is lined up at 5-tech on the strong side and this would be guys like Redding, Moala and Lawrence Guy when he was here.  The DT would be lined up at 3-tech on the weakside and this would be RJF, Matthews and Hughes.  My assumption is that Jones will overtake the starting 5-tech DE spot but again, that's just an assumption.  

Again, the way I understand this is that the DE plays 2-gap on the strong side, the NT plays 2-gap but the DT is more of a 1-gap penetrator, but he is also responsible for reading the play and holding his ground if it's a run.  If my understanding is correct, then the DT spot requires a bit more play recognition and therefore could lead to slower responses by that person as compared to the DE and NT.  This could be why so many think that RJF played poorly last year when in fact he actually played well, especially as the season went along.

The DT will usually line up on the strong side (if no strong side then the wide side of the field, if no strong side and no wide side of the field (ie going against a balanced formation in the middle of the field) then, I believe he lines up on the offensive right side) and has 2 gap responsibility.

I believe the Colts terminology actually has it the other way around.  They list Redding as a DE and he primarily lines up on the strong side.  RJF is listed as a DT and he primarily lines up on the weak side.

Forgive me if I'm not answering the right question.... But in the 3-4 there is only a NT and 2 DE.. There is no DT in a 3-4... The NT is really there to take up space and and DE are to stop the run inside/rush the passer! In a 3-4 the linebackers are the ones who are usually goin to to make the plays. Usually the goal of the strong outside backer in the 3-4 is to make sure the running back does not get outside and had to cut back inside so others will be there to help! (Eric Walden's job last year) hope I answers some of your questions..

Also if I'm wrong on any of this someone correct me.. I know more about the 4-3

I believe the Colts terminology actually has it the other way around.  They list Redding as a DE and he primarily lines up on the strong side.  RJF is listed as a DT and he primarily lines up on the weak side.

Yep.  DT is equivalent to weakside DE in our scheme, and the moveable hybrid piece that slides to 3tech in 4-3 under looks or further inside for over looks.

Thanks Jason_S.  

My bad Valpo, see what jason_s states.  Now, I need to go back ans watch some games but I believe the rest holds true in that the DT has 2 gap responsibility and the DE has one gap and additionally the non rush LB (E. Walden) lines up with the DE.

Forgive me if I'm not answering the right question.... But in the 3-4 there is only a NT and 2 DE.. There is no DT in a 3-4... The NT is really there to take up space and and DE are to stop the run inside/rush the passer! In a 3-4 the linebackers are the ones who are usually goin to to make the plays. Usually the goal of the strong outside backer in the 3-4 is to make sure the running back does not get outside and had to cut back inside so others will be there to help! (Eric Walden's job last year) hope I answers some of your questions..

I think each team uses different terminology but the Colts use a DT, NT, DE.

well this is up for some interpretation but here is a link that I've found helpful in understanding the Colts' hybrid front:

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2013-articles/june/explaining-the-colts-3-4-defensive-line.html

My understanding of it is that the DE is lined up at 5-tech on the strong side and this would be guys like Redding, Moala and Lawrence Guy when he was here.  The DT would be lined up at 3-tech on the weakside and this would be RJF, Matthews and Hughes.  My assumption is that Jones will overtake the starting 5-tech DE spot but again, that's just an assumption.  

Again, the way I understand this is that the DE plays 2-gap on the strong side, the NT plays 2-gap but the DT is more of a 1-gap penetrator, but he is also responsible for reading the play and holding his ground if it's a run.  If my understanding is correct, then the DT spot requires a bit more play recognition and therefore could lead to slower responses by that person as compared to the DE and NT.  This could be why so many think that RJF played poorly last year when in fact he actually played well, especially as the season went along.

Yup. The "DT" is usually playing three-tech and shooting gaps, and the "DE" is playing five-tech and 2-gapping. It's all semantics; what's important are the duties from down to down, based on the situation.

No actually we list our D-linemen as DT NT and DE.  That's why I was curious because I figured it was just 2 DE's and a NT in the middle.  

It appears as if the difference is based on which side of the formation they line up on.  

No actually we list our D-linemen as DT NT and DE. That's why I was curious because I figured it was just 2 DE's and a NT in the middle.

It appears as if the difference is based on which side of the formation they line up on.

Ohhh I wasn't aware that the Colts do that!! My bad!! Most teams with 3-4 I though have 2 DE... Like I said.. Thanks for correcting me!

Great question....  though I don't know that I have a great answer....   (Doh!!)

On many teams their 3-4 looks like this....          DE    NT   DE

But, on the colts,   their 3-4 looks like this....      DE    NT    DT

One of the lineman on one side of the nose tackle is listed as a defensive end,  but the other is listed as a defensive tackle.

So, for example,  Chapman and Franklin are listed as Nose Tackles.    But RJF and Hughes and Pendleton are DT's...   But, Redding and I think Jones are listed as DE's...    I'm sure there are differences in responsibility.   What those are I'm not sure.

I doubt it's semantics.    I doubt it's the same defense but the Colts just use different terminology.  

Feels like a question for either Kevin Bowen or Craig Kelley to do some homework on??

Great question.... though I don't know that I have a great answer.... (Doh!!)

On many teams their 3-4 looks like this.... DE NT DE

But, on the colts, their 3-4 looks like this.... DE NT DT

One of the lineman on one side of the nose tackle is listed as a defensive end, but the other is listed as a defensive tackle.

So, for example, Chapman and Franklin are listed as Nose Tackles. But RJF and Hughes and Pendleton are DT's... But, Redding and I think Jones are listed as DE's... I'm sure there are differences in responsibility. What those are I'm not sure.

I doubt it's semantics. I doubt it's the same defense but the Colts just use different terminology.

Feels like a question for either Kevin Bowen or Craig Kelley to do some homework on??

A lot of the homework has been done. Try checking out the links ztboiler and I posted :)