Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts-Mack Theory over?

Dark_Indy

With Alex Mack receiving the transition tag, it looks like he's stuck with the Browns for another year- or is he?

The Colts can offer a chunk of change to Mack to get him to Indy- but how much?

He will already be the highest paid center in the league at $10mil a year- but could the Colts be interested in sending an offer in to lure the Browns into either giving him a huge payday or solidifying the Offensive line. So what would you be willing to put down on an offer sheet to try to get him in Indy?

His tag currently sits at $10 Million- So a bum offer will get the Browns to match.

Would you invest $14 million to get Mack to Indy?

Let me clarify- We're talking about one of the top 3 centers in the league in both run and pass blocking that could be with the Colts for a decade versus a stopgap center or even Satele being back.

What would it be worth to lock down one of the most important positions on the offensive line for the next 5-7 years?

Yep, but Cleveland would match easily.

Heh, that was just an example.

Honestly, 10m a year is really the absolute top end I'd consider for Mack and was really more in the 8-9m range.

14 is way too high unless he starts throwing passes.

Let me clarify- We're talking about one of the top 3 centers in the league in both run and pass blocking that could be with the Colts for a decade versus a stopgap center or even Satele being back.

What would it be worth to lock down one of the most important positions on the offensive line for the next 5-7 years?

8-10 a year. And I might want Mack more than anyone else on this forum.

Heh, that was just an example.

Honestly, 10m a year is really the absolute top end I'd consider for Mack and was really more in the 8-9m range.

14 is way too high unless he starts throwing passes.

Yep. I agree. I don't think anyone will try to offer Mack a contract. If Cleveland had little cap space it would be a different story.

Hypothetical thought here...

could we throw a bunch of money at Mack to bring him to the Colts and in a year or two mess with his contract a bit?

I wonder if he would be a guy willing to take a paycut to keep the team competitive...

Hypothetical thought here...

could we throw a bunch of money at Mack to bring him to the Colts and in a year or two mess with his contract a bit?

I wonder if he would be a guy willing to take a paycut to keep the team competitive...

Players don't take pay cuts unless it's because they aren't performing. What they do generally do is "restructure" which is usually code for "move the cap hit backwards" by converting guaranteed money into a signing bonus on a contract extension. It's risky because if you have to cut the player, it creates a fairly serious cap penalty for several years.