Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deone Bucannon

I'm interested to see what you guys think of him. I've started liking him more than some of the other safeties in our range. He has good size. He's a hard hitter. He has good range, and most importantly he's possesses good ball skills. He had six interceptions last year. Thoughts?

Personally as far as the draft goes Im not worried about need, I want the BPA regardless of need, If need and BPA happen to line up at some point then great, I also want a defense that is versatile and that means getting a variety of different players with different talents and for the coaching staff to put those players in the best chance to succeed but instead I think we will try to stick to a rigid scheme fit type of player which limits options

As long as he can cover some ground

He can but he is inconsistent with open field tackling(what I call a ankle diver to much), sometimes takes bad angles and is incosistent to shed blocks(I watched him vs Stanford, Oregon and Arizona  State)

Personally as far as the draft goes Im not worried about need, I want the BPA regardless of need, If need and BPA happen to line up at some point then great, I also want a defense that is versatile and that means getting a variety of different players with different talents and for the coaching staff to put those players in the best chance to succeed but instead I think we will try to stick to a rigid scheme fit type of player which limits options

I remember a GM saying if you draft for need you'll be forever drafting but if you draft BPA you'll have someone

I remember a GM saying if you draft for need you'll be forever drafting but if you draft BPA you'll have someone

I prefer BPA 'by need' as you know....not including center, however.  

We will know what said need is after FAs begin to sign.  If I bring in a receiver, I willl not go BPA for another WR...and so on.  Lets get the beat player available by need after FA.   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!

Tackling can be coached though. A lot of these DB's aren't coach as well in college anymore as Prime was saying at the combine. So many of the CB's are as raw as the WR's that come out. Tons of athleticism and natural skill, but a lack of refinement. Deone has been on my radar for awhile. I'm on the fence on whether I would take him in the second, depening on need and who's off the board. I would definitely take him in the third though.