Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruno's Blog Projecting Colts' Picks and Priorites in the NFL Draft

Unless I just missed it somehow I didn't see anyone talking about Bruno's take on the Colts' draft on the 1070 The Fan website

Bruno has an interesting take on things. He sees the most pressing needs as interior offensive line, wide receiver, nose tackle, inside linebacker and free safety. I've been following everyone's take on the draft here and like a lot of the scenarios I've seen. I'd just like to hear a few points of view on this one.

Here are a few highlights from the article.

SECOND ROUND (No. 59 overall): WIDE RECEIVER

Two players widely projected as first-rounders did not post impressive 40 times at the combine, which could benefit the Colts. Allen Robinson of Penn State ran a 4.6 and Jarvis Landry of LSU a 4.75, although his time was at least partially attributable to a calf injury.

THIRD ROUND (90): INSIDE LINEBACKER

An ideal fit could be Stanford’s Shayne Skov – and not just because of his collegiate choice. At 6-2, 245, Skov has played in a similar 3-4 scheme and his strengths match up well with the Colts’ needs. Stanford’s defense was stout against the run and Skov not only played a key role, he was also a superb signal caller, another area the Colts could use a boost.

Another possibility might be Wisconsin’s Chris Borland, a high-motor player who is very aggressive but at 5-11 lacks prototypical size. Louisville’s Preston Brown is a 262-pound force to be considered.

FIFTH ROUND (154): NOSE TACKLE

Arkansas State’s Ryan Carrethers fits the profile. At 6-1, 329, he is extremely strong and as a former wrestler has enough agility to win one-on-one battles. Also has a strong reputation for work ethic, which bodes well for his future.

Another possibility is Justin Ellis of Louisiana Tech, another very big body but not as finely tuned as Carrethers.

SIXTH ROUND (187): FREE SAFETY

This deep in the draft, you’re not likely to find a step-in starter, so the priority is identifying potential, and that could lead to Wisconsin’s Dezmen Southward, who has the size and speed but lacks instincts and fluidity, in part because he didn’t start playing football until his senior year of high school.

Three players who spent time at both cornerback and safety in college could also be on the board: Marqueston Huff of Wyoming, Jemea Thomas of Georgia Tech and Dontae Johnson of N.C. State.

SEVENTH ROUND (209): PUNTER

With Pat McAfee also heading to free agency and likely to command a higher price than the Colts can afford to pay at this position, it might be a good idea to take a look at Memphis’ Tom Hornsey, Iowa State’s Kirby Van Der Kamp, or Alabama’s Cody Mandell.

http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2014/02/25/projecting-colts-picks-priorities-in-nfl-draft/

That would be an okay draft with me, except a different safety in the 6th.

A good scouting department will look at next year's draft to see how deep it is. I would wait to draft WR with a first or 2nd rounder next year, but if it is a lean class next year for WR's, I could see taking first round talent at 59 this year.

But I would prefer more front 7 at the 59th pick.

I really love Skov at the colliegant level...and there is a reason Stanford is turning out so many pros...they have a great football program...and as much talent as any school in the nation. I would be happy with him in the 3rd rd if his measurables add up...because his football iq and heart certainly does. Not sure about wr in rd 2....at least those that he mentioned. I would lean towards a veteren free agent that can contribute right away and continue bringing along Brazill and Rodgers and really look at an elite rookie wr next year early in the draft.....but if a great one falls in the second this year bpa for sure. I'm more looking at adding a guard or starting center with our #2 this year or corner depth....but in the end the best player available is always the right thing to do...even if we think we have a starter...if he projects to be special...take him...you don't pass on special. 

If they switched 3rd round to NT/DT (or some other position depending on who's avaialble) and the 5th round to ILB, I'd feel a bit better about that.  Not against drafting a punter in the 7th if we let McAfee go. Wouldn't criticize it unless the P was just that awful. But I'd probably prefer going after a different position and searching FA or signing an undrafted P. 

If we do draft a WR, it needs to be Moncrief or Mathews. Robinson wont make it past Pittsburgh in the 2nd. I do like Skov in the third, and I would take Justin Ellis in the fifth.

Not if they pass on a corner in the 1st round, they'll take a 2nd round corner and Robinson could drop.

Besides Mosley, who is a 4th round talent, teams probably shouldn't be looking at any ILB's any earlier than the middle of the 3rd. I'll go so far as to say there is no 2nd round quality ILB in this draft.

And I think the pickens are slim in FA too. I think its a bad year to need an immediate upgrade at that position.

Besides Mosley, who is a 4th round talent, teams probably shouldn't be looking at any ILB's any earlier than the middle of the 3rd. I'll go so far as to say there is no 2nd round quality ILB in this draft

Much of the talent at Linebacker is versatile, there are OLB's that have lined in the A Gap, ILB's that have covered the slot or lined up at OLB. Coaches have to be flexible with there playcalling to exploit players strengths, the type of player you need is not always going to be available, Thats what makes a good coach a great coach. The ability to get the best out of the players he has

Much of the talent at Linebacker is versatile, there are OLB's that have lined in the A Gap, ILB's that have covered the slot or lined up at OLB. Coaches have to be flexible with there playcalling to exploit players strengths, the type of player you need is not always going to be available, Thats what makes a good coach a great coach. The ability to get the best out of the players he has

Meant to say Mosley was a 1st round talent btw. But that exact sentiment is why Belichik is one of the greatest of all time. But yeah you don't have to get a ILB in the 2nd. You can get one in the 3rd and 4th and get a quality one. I think Grigson will do a good enough job with that. Finding players in the trenches.

I wouldn't be surprised if we draft none of his top 3 priorities.  Certainly not a WR.  While I see the need for a NT, I would definitely target a veteran in FA to share time with Chapman.    And ILB...I really like McNary, I'm optimistic about Muambo, and the coaching staff likes Sheppard (for some reason).  I just don't see ILB as a priority (though my post combine mock has us taking Avery Williamson of Kentucky in the 7th).

I wouldn't be surprised if we draft none of his top 3 priorities.  Certainly not a WR.  While I see the need for a NT, I would definitely target a veteran in FA to share time with Chapman.    And ILB...I really like McNary, I'm optimistic about Muambo, and the coaching staff likes Sheppard (for some reason).  I just don't see ILB as a priority (though my post combine mock has us taking Avery Williamson of Kentucky in the 7th).

Taking an ILB in the 7th round isn't a bad thing at all.  There are several guys I like that are projects that could pay off huge dividends in 1-3 years.  But for some reason, people think that we should be taking these projects in the 2nd and 3rd round.

6th and 7th round guys usually don't always pan out and takes years to become starter material. We need guys that can make an impact right off the bat. So taking a WR won't help cause he won't sniff playing time with Reggie, Duhrick, Brazil, TY, Whalen Etc... I would rather us draft and big safety/DB ILB Oline and D line doesn't matter the order but yeah. After we resign Vontae we still have lots of cap room left to sign FA that will help right away without breaking the bank.