Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Spending

There have been couple of articles about the Colts spending wisely this year on free agents with an eye toward resigning key players 2015 and 2016 despite having over $35 million in cap room. My question is, does the CBA set a minimum amount of money (a percent) of the overall cap amount that teams must spend on salaries to insure that teams are being competitive? I thought I remember it being around 85 to 90 percent.

It is an average of 90 percent over a five year span. Or three. Don't remember which. You can be severely under one year and the cap rolls over, but you get penalized if you don't get to that 90 percent average.

A three or five-year span makes sense and would explain the strategy of spending more judiciously this year.

Thanks.

Please don't be afraid to move on from Bethea... and other such riff-raff. 

Little harsh to call him riff-raff. I mean, I'm all for moving on from him as he's seemed to regress in recent years and he's getting a little older, but the guy has given our team a lot for the last 8 years. He helped win us a Super Bowl and has been the one guy in the secondary that you could count on to always be there and contribute. I got nothing but respect for the guy, even though I am okay with moving on without him.

Little harsh to call him riff-raff. I mean, I'm all for moving on from him as he's seemed to regress in recent years and he's getting a little older, but the guy has given our team a lot for the last 8 years. He helped win us a Super Bowl and has been the one guy in the secondary that you could count on to always be there and contribute. I got nothing but respect for the guy, even though I am okay with moving on without him.

I think some fail to take into account he was a 6th round pick, He came from Howard University....A college at the time that played Cover 2 specifically and he was good at Howard U in that scheme so Polian drafted him to do just that....We switched schemes now so in affect he has been having to learn a new scheme the last two years and a new position, Now he had 2 really great years...2009....2007......He is going to be well into 30 years old by the time the season starts, I think the questiona are for Grigson,

Is it worth bringing him back to continue to learn the new position and scheme(which I really expect he learned pretty well by now) at what will be 31?

How much is he worth?

If Im Grigson Im moving on or seeking a sign and trade with the Chicago Bears(Im asking a 4th round pick for Bethea...But this Safety class is a bit deep so I would settle for less. Im also not sure his production says 4th round pick), They need another Safety

Well said Peytonator. I do appreciate his contributions to the Colts organization, believe it is time to move in another direction, but I have nothing harsh to say against Mr. Bethea personally. Honestly, I just think that age catches up to every athlete making them more of a liability vs asset right now & that's where Bethea is at at the moment. 

I think some fail to take into account he was a 6th round pick, He came from Howard University....A college at the time that played Cover 2 specifically and he was good at Howard U in that scheme so Polian drafted him to do just that....We switched schemes now so in affect he has been having to learn a new scheme the last two years and a new position, Now he had 2 really great years...2009....2007......He is going to be well into 30 years old by the time the season starts, I think the questiona are for Grigson,

Is it worth bringing him back to continue to learn the new position and scheme(which I really expect he learned pretty well by now) at what will be 31?

How much is he worth?

If Im Grigson Im moving on or seeking a sign and trade with the Chicago Bears(Im asking a 4th round pick for Bethea...But this Safety class is a bit deep so I would settle for less. Im also not sure his production says 4th round pick), They need another Safety

A sign and trade does seem like a good idea. A 4th rounder seems kinda ambitious but I don't really know what we could get for him.

The closest you can get to a sign and trade in the NFL is franchise tagging Bethea then trading him, so the Bears would have to pay $10 Mil and a 4th round pick for a 31 year old safety? Not a chance. Plus he's an URFA so if he signed for any guaranteed money with the Colts, the Colts would have to eat it as soon as they traded him. If he didn't have any guaranteed money in the deal he'd likely have to work out another deal as soon as he got with Chicago. There's absolutely no chance a sign and trade could or would happen. He'd just sign with the Bears outright as opposed to throwing the Colts a bone.

There have been couple of articles about the Colts spending wisely this year on free agents with an eye toward resigning key players 2015 and 2016 despite having over $35 million in cap room. My question is, does the CBA set a minimum amount of money (a percent) of the overall cap amount that teams must spend on salaries to insure that teams are being competitive? I thought I remember it being around 85 to 90 percent.

To quote Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations" & SW1 sucks at comprehending or deciphering the mathematics of spending millions of dollars properly. A GM I am not. I leave that stuff to other forum experts more skilled than me. I just judge who we get & how well they play on the field. Besides, I'm a chemistry locker room guy anyway analyzing how the 52 man roster ebbs & flows all season long. 

The closest you can get to a sign and trade in the NFL is franchise tagging Bethea then trading him, so the Bears would have to pay $10 Mil and a 4th round pick for a 31 year old safety? Not a chance. Plus he's an URFA so if he signed for any guaranteed money with the Colts, the Colts would have to eat it as soon as they traded him. If he didn't have any guaranteed money in the deal he'd likely have to work out another deal as soon as he got with Chicago. There's absolutely no chance a sign and trade could or would happen. He'd just sign with the Bears outright as opposed to throwing the Colts a bone.

If thats the case then no harm no foul, just draft a better Safety in he 3rd, 4th(In a trade down), 5th

I am thankful for what he has DONE for us. But this is a new generation of players, Luck&company are trying to make their own suberbowl run. We need an upgrade at his position. He played pretty bad this year and honestly shouldn't be resigned. This isn't disrespectful in the least.

I am thankful for what he has DONE for us. But this is a new generation of players, Luck&company are trying to make their own suberbowl run. We need an upgrade at his position. He played pretty bad this year and honestly shouldn't be resigned. This isn't disrespectful in the least.

Unfortunately, young man, referring to a player who has served Colts Nation admirably for the past 8 years as riff-raff IS disrespectful!

As you age and mature you will come to understand respect better.

No Biggie, you will learn.

Unfortunately, young man, referring to a player who has served Colts Nation admirably for the past 8 years as riff-raff IS disrespectful!

As you age and mature you will come to understand respect better.

No Biggie, you will learn.

No it's not disrespectful. When he plays like garbage it is what it is. He as a human being isn't riff-raff. But as a player at this stage in his career his performances=bleh.

No it's not disrespectful. When he plays like garbage it is what it is. He as a human being isn't riff-raff. But as a player at this stage in his career his performances=bleh.

Hey, I want the Colts to move on from him, because he hasn't delivered for the team recently but to call him riff-raff and garbage is uncalled for...

I try to hold my esteem and respect for a player even when they have passed their prime and are fading stars.

Even though he isn't the player he once was he is still rated well on FA charts and unless the Colts are lucky about his replacement, if he is not resigned the team may regret letting him go.

For perspective, I would never call John Unitas garbage or riff-raff although in his later years his worth and performance dropped off greatly, he tried to extend his career too long but I never lost respect for him.

I guess I come from an era when respect is attained over time, not just from year to year, game to game performance.

We live in a throw away world today, I was just brought up different.

Anyway this is off topic...

I just want the interior oline fixed, after that I don't really care what else the Colts do.

I'm sick of seeing our runners stuffed, and Luck getting pressured and sacked!

Hey, I want the Colts to move on from him, because he hasn't delivered for the team recently but to call him riff-raff and garbage is uncalled for...

I try to hold my esteem and respect for a player even when they have passed their prime and are fading stars.

Even though he isn't the player he once was he is still rated well on FA charts and unless the Colts are lucky about his replacement, if he is not resigned the team may regret letting him go.

For perspective, I would never call John Unitas garbage or riff-raff although in his later years his worth and performance dropped off greatly, he tried to extend his career too long but I never lost respect for him.

I guess I come from an era when respect is attained over time, not just from year to year, game to game performance.

We live in a throw away world today, I was just brought up different.

Anyway this is off topic...

I just want the interior oline fixed, after that I don't really care what else the Colts do.

I'm sick of seeing our runners stuffed, and Luck getting pressured and sacked!

The second we start making Superbowl noise is the second we'll have fixed our trenches decently.