Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on him going to the Texans? I personally think Watt/Clowney would be beast but Andrew is too good for them, hes too mobile. Yeah they'll get him, but these people saying pray for Andrew and that watt and clowney will single handedly win the afc south are moronic. I think As long as we have Luck we win and go to the playoffs, or come in 2nd and go to the wildcard. Also, if they draft clowney, We face Keenum or Shaub or a rookie QB. Id honestly be more scared of them taking manziel or bridgewater. This is just my opinion, sorry if it doesn't come to your liking.

I think him and Quinn would be a crazy good defensive end duo. I like watt, and he's probably the best end. But Quinn isn't that far behind, and Clowney fits the 4-3 system better. Unless texans switch to a 4-3 and play watt at DT. please don't. Eww.. That wouldn't be good for any opposing qb.

Thoughts on him going to the Texans? I personally think Watt/Clowney would be beast but Andrew is too good for them, hes too mobile. Yeah they'll get him, but these people saying pray for Andrew and that watt and clowney will single handedly win the afc south are moronic. I think As long as we have Luck we win and go to the playoffs, or come in 2nd and go to the wildcard. Also, if they draft clowney, We face Keenum or Shaub or a rookie QB. Id honestly be more scared of them taking manziel or bridgewater. This is just my opinion, sorry if it doesn't come to your liking.

If they take Clowney, they are preparing specifically for Andrew Luck. I think it would be a great choice. They can take a QB later or Schaub is likely to play much better this year.

I don't think the Texans take him.  I think his disappearing act last year won't be excused as a 'protective' measure by lots of teams, and although he will still go in the top 5 in all likelihood, I don't think it will be Houston.  I see the Texans taking Bortles.  I think OBrien will ultimately trust OLeary, and the rest of the UCF staff he knows very well, and take the QB. 

My 'you must be high' prediction is Clowney doesn't get picked in the top 5.  Texans and Rams don't need him.  Jags, Browns, and Raiders all need QBs.  Unless someone trades into the top 5, I see Clowney, the best athlete in this draft, slipping a bit.  Heck, Clowney himself said he wants to be a Falcon, and at 6 and needing a DE, wouldn't that work out perfect for everyone...

I think Clowney would fit better in the 4-3 than the 3-4.  With that said, I still think he has the potential to do well in the 3-4.  However, I don't think you should take a guy first overall if you have any doubts about him.  I like Clowney, but there are some questions as to his work ethic and his motor

Houston needs a franchise QB not another dismal interception year under the guidance of Matt Schaub. I like the Texans. Listen to me man. Forget Clowney & go after Johnny Menziel or Teddy Bridgewater. 

If they get a reliable QB, I could see a deep Playoffs run for Houston easy. That team is overflowing with talent everywhere but 1 spot: The starting field general. Pull the trigger here. Don't be a wuss or make the wrong call. 

Yes, I realize another pass rusher to help JJ Watt is vital, not to mention sack Luck in the same division. But a new HC needs a new QB not spoiled by other schemes or systems...A fresh, clean mind. Houston fans are done with Schaub & ready to cut their losses & move on. Retreads never work longterm to me. Matt's gotta go. 

Look, I know I'm an INDY fan 1st & foremost, but SW1 has mad respect for Houston & my advice comes from a genuine place of wanting your team to excel not collapse, crash, & burn. Sabotage is not SW1's motive here success is & I sincerely mean that no exaggeration. 

Houston needs a franchise QB not another dismal interception year under the guidance of Matt Schaub. I like the Texans. Listen to me man. Forget Clowney & go after Johnny Menziel or Teddy Bridgewater. 

If they get a reliable QB, I could see a deep Playoffs run for Houston easy. That team is overflowing with talent everywhere but 1 spot: The starting field general. Pull the trigger here. Don't be a wuss or make the wrong call. 

I agree. Clowney and Watt can scare people as much as they want, but they won't do crap with Keenum or Schaub leading the way.

The Texans' need for a QB outweighs their need for Clowney, or at least I think it does. 

Precisely Clem-Dog. Precisely. Focus on need not luxury here. A clutch QB will pose a serious threat to INDY division title wise. As much as I hate to admit that, it's the truth. 

I get that this guy has all the talent in the world, but I can't fathom picking a guy #1 who just had a season like he had.  I predict he'll do nothing until his contract year.  Then he'll have a fantastic season, get a huge contract, and never do anything again.  I hope the Texans draft him because it would ultimately help us.

I personally think Texans will entertain a trade with another team in dire need of Clowney. they already have the best Defensive line in the league, there really is no need for clowney. They really need a QB which they can get someone like McCorron who has experience running a similar style of offense in later rounds. only if no one bites on the trade for the #1 then i can see the Texans taking Clowney who would be the BPA at that pick. i dont see Manziel or Bridgewater worthy of a #1 pick but then again i am no GM so what do i know.

I don't think the Texans take him.  I think his disappearing act last year won't be excused as a 'protective' measure by lots of teams, and although he will still go in the top 5 in all likelihood, I don't think it will be Houston.  I see the Texans taking Bortles.  I think OBrien will ultimately trust OLeary, and the rest of the UCF staff he knows very well, and take the QB. 

My 'you must be high' prediction is Clowney doesn't get picked in the top 5.  Texans and Rams don't need him.  Jags, Browns, and Raiders all need QBs.  Unless someone trades into the top 5, I see Clowney, the best athlete in this draft, slipping a bit.  Heck, Clowney himself said he wants to be a Falcon, and at 6 and needing a DE, wouldn't that work out perfect for everyone...

I would not be surprised if someone traded into the top 5 to grab him.  Especially if the Texans pass on him.  

Rams have plenty of pass rush and would love to land themselves another RG3 like deal where they take home a pair of extra first rounders just to trade down a couple of spots.

That said I don't think he's worth a top 5 pick.  He's overrated because of one big hit against Michigan.  That is the only highlight I ever see on TV of Clowney.  All it is like "OOHH LOOK HOW HARD HE HIT THAT RB"

I also think his own coach not vouching for him says something.

I would say however that I think the best thing for Clowney would be if he slipped in the draft a bit.  That might put a chip on his shoulder to work hard and prove himself.  

I might be the only one but I don't think Clowney will ever live up to his hype. he may be a great athlete and you can't teach 4.5 speed to a 6-5 265 pound guy but I think he's the kind of guy who got by on his athletic ability and didn't learn much about playing the game. NFL will expose him for his lack of work ethic,

I might be the only one but I don't think Clowney will ever live up to his hype. he may be a great athlete and you can't teach 4.5 speed to a 6-5 265 pound guy but I think he's the kind of guy who got by on his athletic ability and didn't learn much about playing the game. NFL will expose him for his lack of work ethic,

Just goes to show that all the athletoc ability in the world can only take you so far. There are A LOT of guys, who are regular everyday guys, who have all the talent needed to play in the NFL but just don't have the heart/mental fortitude to play. Thats why I have a hard time taking the Combine seriously. There will never be a measurement for heart and intangibles and without that, all the athletic ability in the world will only carry you so far..

I think Clowney would fit better in the 4-3 than the 3-4.  With that said, I still think he has the potential to do well in the 3-4.  However, I don't think you should take a guy first overall if you have any doubts about him.  I like Clowney, but there are some questions as to his work ethic and his motor

I agree with this, but this draft is different. There are questions about all of the top prospects:

Manziel: too small? working project, play style is unlike the NFL

Teddy: too small/skinny, will get killed. Played low tier talent

Bortles:Throw power/throwing under pressure is questionable

Clowney: work ethic

Unfortunately for all of this year's top picking teams, there are no Luck/RG3/Cam Newton type of QB. They all have their questions. If I was the Texans, I'd take Clowney and never look back. The kid is going to be a monster, even if it is just till he gets paid, that's 4-5 years of D-line dominance with Watt/Clowney both. How do you beat a QB? You sack him/hit him like the seahawks did to Peyton. Now I think Luck is the QB in the league with the most tools to counter-act this, with his mobility and smarts but I would be lying if I said Watt/Clowney don't scare me if they were together. If the Texans draft Clowney, they are doing it to try to beat Andrew Luck and the Colts.

I hope the Texans take Manziel though, I think he's a project and won't be that great, maybe mid-tier at best. I'd be more frightened of them if they took Teddy/Bortles honestly. 

I agree with this, but this draft is different. There are questions about all of the top prospects:

Manziel: too small? working project, play style is unlike the NFL

Teddy: too small/skinny, will get killed. Played low tier talent

Bortles:Throw power/throwing under pressure is questionable

Clowney: work ethic

Unfortunately for all of this year's top picking teams, there are no Luck/RG3/Cam Newton type of QB. They all have their questions. If I was the Texans, I'd take Clowney and never look back. The kid is going to be a monster, even if it is just till he gets paid, that's 4-5 years of D-line dominance with Watt/Clowney both. How do you beat a QB? You sack him/hit him like the seahawks did to Peyton. Now I think Luck is the QB in the league with the most tools to counter-act this, with his mobility and smarts but I would be lying if I said Watt/Clowney don't scare me if they were together. If the Texans draft Clowney, they are doing it to try to beat Andrew Luck and the Colts.

I hope the Texans take Manziel though, I think he's a project and won't be that great, maybe mid-tier at best. I'd be more frightened of them if they took Teddy/Bortles honestly. 

Yeah, I would be very worried if the Texans draft Clowney.  Having to face Clowney and Watt twice a year won't be fun

I think the bigger knock on Teddy is that he probably has a low ceiling. There also isn't that "X Factor" about him. I don't think he has that special trait to make him have those magic plays Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Brady,etc...

I think he is the most NFL ready, but what you see now is what you get