Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Red Bryant......

LOL who do we have enough of that is a solid run stopper?!

Right now we think/hope we will have a good one in Chap. Then ... hmmm!

Red Bryant Definitely has Value.

With Chap & Hughes at 340+ and Pendleton?

Redding, RJF

I would think we would NEED to add a more athletic type that can get into the QB, like Redding & RJF.

A player the likes of former 5th rd pick Arthur Jones, the reason Baltimore let Redding go, would sure fit that bill. Not him likely of course, but that is the mold. IMO

Bryant is what I consider the prototype at Redding's position for what we try to do.  Completely immovable on the strong side.  Unfortunately, Seattle has to acknowledge that they grossly overpaid for the dimension.  We've gotten comparable production, if you consider pass rush, out of Redding at half the cost. 

For the average fan, the biggest take away here is how the contract game and structure is played.  At 5 yrs. $35M and $5M signing, Seattle guaranteed 2 years and locked down a productive player, important to their scheme, in his prime.  In year 3, they have $5.5M in cap space to access if they need it and if his performance delta to the coming season doesn't match up.  They also bought themselves 2 years to draft a player who could do the job on a rookie contract....and they probably have that in Jesse Williams.  This is roughly the same contract structure that we would be offering to Arthur Jones or Linval Joseph types of players.  You put them in your rotation and hope that they emerge as a dominant presence in the next 2 years, including some inside pass rush presence.  If they don't, you cut them in yr. 3 and have at least realized solid run-stuffing production in the interim. 

If we bring back Moala, it would be a luxury to sign another Big, but with Redding aging and us lacking a first round pick, what a great spot to have extra talent. I'd prefer Joseph, Houston or A. Jones, but Bryant probably makes a ton of sense in Indy in the $3-4M range. 

Right now we think/hope we will have a good one in Chap. Then ... hmmm!

Red Bryant Definitely has Value.

With Chap & Hughes at 340+ and Pendleton?

Redding, RJF

I would think we would NEED to add a more athletic type that can get into the QB, like Redding & RJF.

A player the likes of former 5th rd pick Arthur Jones, the reason Baltimore let Redding go, would sure fit that bill. Not him likely of course, but that is the mold. IMO

I was amazed at Pendleton's size and athleticism.  The kid was running sideline to sideline.  I hope he comes in ready to compete in the OTAs and beyond!!

I don't know what he will seek out but he played limited snaps with Seattle. Almost exclusive run down guy. I would LOVE to have that on run downs because he was a freak but not sure we can afford the luxury of such a player....but that said these are the types of players that turn teams into playoff teams and SB teams. These guys that excel at certain things...teams that just are a player or two from turning the corner...our run defense isn't great. I personally was not impressed with our DL on that front or getting after the qb except for Mathis and Redding. If we could bring this guy in it would be a huge upgrade but we have other holes to fill. If it works out that we can splurge in a position...DL isn't a bad place to do it...whether we add a run stopper or a pass rusher to help on the outside.