Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strong change Brian De La Puente walks in free agency

The reservation I have about BDLP is those 2 monster Guards on either side of him in New Orleans. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying I don't know how he would project to Indy's O-line.

We just want a center who can run and pass block efficiently. Is that too much to ask Mr Grigson? :gloomy:

After watching him in games the last 2 seasons I dont think he is a Man Scheme O Lineman...Not a very good drive blocker, solid in pass protection but the Guards did help him out significantly, He also overextends on pass blocks and stops moving his feet, Dont get me wrong he is a clear head and shoulders upgrade compared to what we have but the difference between Mack and De La Puente is a pretty darn big gap, He has to develop more strength, He gets blown off the ball at times 

After watching him in games the last 2 seasons I dont think he is a Man Scheme O Lineman...Not a very good drive blocker, solid in pass protection but the Guards did help him out significantly, He also overextends on pass blocks and stops moving his feet, Dont get me wrong he is a clear head and shoulders upgrade compared to what we have but the difference between Mack and De La Puente is a pretty darn big gap, He has to develop more strength, He gets blown off the ball at times 

The difference between Mack and de la Puente is Evan Deitrich-Smith. He was integral to the Packers improved run game this season, and he's a good protector. My 1-2-3 is Mack, EDS, BdlP, in that order. And they're all a mile above Satele or McGlynn at center.

The difference between Mack and de la Puente is Evan Deitrich-Smith. He was integral to the Packers improved run game this season, and he's a good protector. My 1-2-3 is Mack, EDS, BdlP, in that order. And they're all a mile above Satele or McGlynn at center.

Ill do some studying on Smith, I've seen plenty of the Packers but never really focused on Smith

If that is true, you would think that Green Bay would want to keep him around to work with Rodgers for the long haul. I'm not sure of their cap situation though.

What are the chances EDS hits the market though? He'd be a good pick up. But certainly De La Puente is far, far better than anything we've presently got.

What are the chances EDS hits the market though? He'd be a good pick up. But certainly De La Puente is far, far better than anything we've presently got.

EDS might not. Just saying I think he's the next stop down from Mack. I'd certainly take de la Puente, in a heartbeat, if Mack wants too much and EDS isn't available.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/free_agent_dietrich_smith_will_let_free_agency_play_out/15615452?linksrc=story_player_evan_dietrich_smith__nfl_auto_module_head_15615452

I've been saying all along that EDS would  be my pick .. I just found this story today saying he's going to let free agency play out.

The article doesn't actually quote him saying that. The writer is inferring that from EDS' noncommittal stance. The Packers probably won't tag him, and they won't knock his socks off with a big time offer before FA, so he'll probably be a FA. They have great guards and don't like to pay big money to auxiliary players, so he could very well walk.

The article doesn't actually quote him saying that. The writer is inferring that from EDS' noncommittal stance. The Packers probably won't tag him, and they won't knock his socks off with a big time offer before FA, so he'll probably be a FA. They have great guards and don't like to pay big money to auxiliary players, so he could very well walk.

Agreed.  Maybe just my wishful thinking lol.  With the addition of Chudzinski to the staff... now I'm all kinds of curious to see how the O line shapes up this offseason. 

With all of this center talk how about we just see what Khaled Holmes can do and if he sucks we just draft a center rather than pay someone a crap ton of money.

Because we can't really afford to bank on some guy that couldn't beat out Mike McGlynn and Samson Satele who were abysmal last year. Even Thornton I'm on the fence about, as far as banking on him being a starter. I know a year under his belt and moving to the right side should produce better results from Thornton (last year wasn't good for any of the 3 interior O-linemen) but we just can't afford to have so many question marks at O-line for another year. Holmes is maybe the biggest question mark on the team. 

The best running came behind McGlynn at center but he is nothing more than depth. The starting line needs to be Castonzo-Thomas-Holmes/draft pick/overprice free agent-Thornton-Cherilus. The offensive line's success comes from the coaches making the right decision and seeing when a lineman sucks but are blinded by the money they are paying him.

The best running came behind McGlynn at center but he is nothing more than depth. The starting line needs to be Castonzo-Thomas-Holmes/draft pick/overprice free agent-Thornton-Cherilus. The offensive line's success comes from the coaches making the right decision and seeing when a lineman sucks but are blinded by the money they are paying him.

I don't think anyone's been blinded by the money we are paying Satele.  The simple fact is that we had a lot of needs to fill last year and center was not one we where able to get filled.  

This year hopefully they will take note of it and fill that position so that we can get the run game going.  

I would be hesitant to pay an exorbitant price for a center when our defense has so many needs.

Regarding Hugh Thornton, you have to hope that the light bulb clicks on in year 2. I remember reading this past season how Vlad Ducasse OG Jets was finally able to put all the pieces together and start for the Jets after being labeled a bust coming into the season. Hopefully Hugh will elevate his game this coming season.

As for center, Khaled Holmes is an enigma. Given the struggles of the o-line, tough to get behind a player who was a healthy scratch. One guy to keep your eye on is Weston Richburg C Colorado State. He is shooting up draft boards and could be an option in the 3rd round.