Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you draft Jordan Mathews?

With so many other needs on the team i wouldn't draft him. Matthews is a good prospect but there are at least 5 players i would take over him in the 2nd round. Smallwood ILB, Christian Jones ILB, Keith Mcgill CB, Daquan Jones DE, and Kyle Fuller CB are some of the guys that could be there in the 2nd. 

I like the WR's we have with T.Y, and Wayne as starters. Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen all got valuable playoff experience and with a full training camp all of them will be much improved. Also, Fleener and Allen are basically big WR's with how much they'll be used in the passing game so i don't think WR is a need.  

With so many other needs on the team i wouldn't draft him. Matthews is a good prospect but there are at least 5 players i would take over him in the 2nd round. Smallwood ILB, Christian Jones ILB, Keith Mcgill CB, Daquan Jones DE, and Kyle Fuller CB are some of the guys that could be there in the 2nd. 

I like the WR's we have with T.Y, and Wayne as starters. Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen all got valuable playoff experience and with a full training camp all of them will be much improved. Also, Fleener and Allen are basically big WR's with how much they'll be used in the passing game so i don't think WR is a need.  

Dwayne Allen will help, an improved offensive line will help. I think Whalen is what he is. I just have a problem with relying on a 35 year old WR coming off of a torn ACL as the linchpin of our passing attack. It's time to add the next guy to the roster. I am as big a Reggie fan as anyone else, but he's a major question mark at this point. (So is Allen, to be honest. No telling what condition he comes back in.)

I really like Matthews, but it doesn't have to be him. And it doesn't have to be a high draft pick, either. There are other guys in this draft who have promise. I'm just not resistant to the idea of drafting someone because of what we already have and/or what we might need.

I think the next guy is already on the roster and it's Rogers. Wayne will have a big impact on the team but T.Y, will be the go to guy in the offense imo. I wouldn't mind drafting a WR like one of the guys you mentioned Hoffman, but not until later rounds. Drafting a WR with our 1st pick just doesn't seem like the right thing to do with how much help we need on the defensive side of the ball.

Dwayne Allen will help, an improved offensive line will help. I think Whalen is what he is. I just have a problem with relying on a 35 year old WR coming off of a torn ACL as the linchpin of our passing attack. It's time to add the next guy to the roster. I am as big a Reggie fan as anyone else, but he's a major question mark at this point. (So is Allen, to be honest. No telling what condition he comes back in.)

I really like Matthews, but it doesn't have to be him. And it doesn't have to be a high draft pick, either. There are other guys in this draft who have promise. I'm just not resistant to the idea of drafting someone because of what we already have and/or what we might need.

I think the next guy is already on the roster and it's Rogers. Wayne will have a big impact on the team but T.Y, will be the go to guy in the offense imo. I wouldn't mind drafting a WR like one of the guys you mentioned Hoffman, but not until later rounds. Drafting a WR with our 1st pick just doesn't seem like the right thing to do with how much help we need on the defensive side of the ball.

I would say it depends on what we do in FA. If we address most of our defensive needs in FA, draft him. There are going to be good CBs and Safties and DEs/DTs available in the third. It also depends on who's left.

I agree, there will be some good CB's, DE's and NT's available in the 3rd but not ILB's. Donald Butler is the only good young ILB available in FA but the Chargers will probably resign him. If we want to get an athletic, fast ILB it would have to be in the 2nd and i think that's what will do.

I would say it depends on what we do in FA. If we address most of our defensive needs in FA, draft him. There are going to be good CBs and Safties and DEs/DTs available in the third. It also depends on who's left.

I agree, there will be some good CB's, DE's and NT's available in the 3rd but not ILB's. Donald Butler is the only good young ILB available in FA but the Chargers will probably resign him. If we want to get an athletic, fast ILB it would have to be in the 2nd and i think that's what will do.

In the on the clock mock drafts(and other drafts), they have Smallwood, Borland, Jones, Skov, Lattimore and Bullough going 3rd. All those all pretty good ILBs. If we want to sign more than one, then yes.

Christian Jones stock raised a bit from the Senior Bowl and Smallwood is just too good of an athlete to make it all the way to us in the 3rd round. Skov, Borland, and Bullough in the 3rd probably but none of those guys are good fits in the defense we run. Once the combine comes around and Jones and Smallwood run sub 4.6 40's, we would have to draft them in the 2nd.

In the on the clock mock drafts(and other drafts), they have Smallwood, Borland, Jones, Skov, Lattimore and Bullough going 3rd. All those all pretty good ILBs. If we want to sign more than one, then yes.

Christian Jones stock raised a bit from the Senior Bowl and Smallwood is just too good of an athlete to make it all the way to us in the 3rd round. Skov, Borland, and Bullough in the 3rd probably but none of those guys are good fits in the defense we run. Once the combine comes around and Jones and Smallwood run sub 4.6 40's, we would have to draft them in the 2nd.

Not fit in well? A lot of analysts have Skov fitting in perfectly with us(stopping the run). Same with Borland, Bullough and Lattimer. I don't watch college football, so I don't know a lot about these players, but I see them fitting in pretty well. I'd take Matthews if he fell to us in the second, and draft an ILB like Borland or Skov.

I watch college football Skov and Borland can't cover and aren't good in space. I like both players but Manusky 3-4 defense requires the ILB to be fast, athletic because we play man coverage 90% of the time. Smallwood and Christian Jones would be better options.

Not fit in well? A lot of analysts have Skov fitting in perfectly with us(stopping the run). Same with Borland, Bullough and Lattimer. I don't watch college football, so I don't know a lot about these players, but I see them fitting in pretty well. I'd take Matthews if he fell to us in the second, and draft an ILB like Borland or Skov.

I watch college football Skov and Borland can't cover and aren't good in space. I like both players but Manusky 3-4 defense requires the ILB to be fast, athletic because we play man coverage 90% of the time. Smallwood and Christian Jones would be better options.

Check out Shawn Jackson from Tulsa, He would fit really well, Can cover (5 Ints as an ILB/OLB this past year) and stop the run, Now he is 6' even but Ray Lewis was only 6'1" comparing height only

Yeah i've scouted Jackson solid player but most drafts i've seen him listed as a OLB. The 4.8 40 seems to be a bit slow for a 3-4 ILB but i think he can be effective in a 4-3. 

Check out Shawn Jackson from Tulsa, He would fit really well, Can cover (5 Ints as an ILB/OLB this past year) and stop the run, Now he is 6' even but Ray Lewis was only 6'1" comparing height only

Yeah i've scouted Jackson solid player but most drafts i've seen him listed as a OLB. The 4.8 40 seems to be a bit slow for a 3-4 ILB but i think he can be effective in a 4-3. 

I think thats projected 40 not actually what he ran, He appears much much faster, 4.5 something maybe low 4.6

Not sold on Rogers being the "next guy," although I like him. I just think it's a gamble to count on him as being a productive contributor in the future. He could be. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially after this last season. I don't think TY is a true #1 receiver, I think he's a complementary receiver to a #1. We don't have a proven possession guy other than Reggie, and he's a question mark. 

I do like Hoffman. He's looking like a 5th or 6th round guy. That would make me happy. But I hope we patch some holes in free agency, allowing us some freedom with the draft to use something of a "best player available" strategy, rather than reaching for need.

Here's a surprisingly unimpressive write-up of Matthews from his week in Mobile....   I'll cut and paste...

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt 
In fairness, Matthews had the best week of the players to make this list.  The adjustment he made on a back-shoulder catch during one-on-one drills and the way he tracked the ball on a 33-yard catch late in the game stood out.  Yet he turned in an underwhelming and inconsistent performance during the week.  He dropped too many passes and struggled to make contested catches, and after measuring at 6-2 and 209 pounds,  Matthews struggled to get off the line working against McGill. 

Here's a surprisingly unimpressive write-up of Matthews from his week in Mobile....   I'll cut and paste...

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt 

In fairness, Matthews had the best week of the players to make this list.  The adjustment he made on a back-shoulder catch during one-on-one drills and the way he tracked the ball on a 33-yard catch late in the game stood out.  Yet he turned in an underwhelming and inconsistent performance during the week.  He dropped too many passes and struggled to make contested catches, and after measuring at 6-2 and 209 pounds,  Matthews struggled to get off the line working against McGill. 

Where did you get this?

Where did you get this?

Sorry....    my bad, I should have included that info...

From ESPN.com....   the column by one of their Scouts Inc writers...   they have three, one of which is Todd McShay. 

But, when McShay writes, he uses his name...   so, this came from one of the other two scouts...

Archived