Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Lowe

Would you draft Jordan Mathews?

WR out of Vanderbilt. Highly talented with a very bright future in the nfl.

There's a bleacher report article (I know, BR) saying that he would be the perfect WR for our system and an excellent compliment to TY and Reggie. I couldn't agree more. That said, I'm not sure I see him slipping down that far to us in the second round.

So, if he was available somehow in the 2nd round, would you draft him or go towards another direction of need such as OL, DL, LB, DB, etc.?

I thought Rogers was the answer? Are you telling me he's just a very naughty boy? 

WR is not the biggest need IMO and even if Matthews fell I'm not sure he would be BPA. 

He would be tough to pass up.  It would have to weighed against Grigson's approach to FA.  If Matthews is a keeper at WR, not sure you can pass him up unless you're convince Rogers is the answer and the future - which I'm not yet convinced

Well in a couple of years Reggie will likely be gone, and Da'Rick-TY-Mathews could potentially be a very dangerous outfit of receivers

I really like him.  He has been compared to Anquan Boldin.  

First we look FA...as we analyze the draft.  As I have said in other threads:  Only the Colts know if Reggie will be back and ready!!!  That may be the deciding factor. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

I really like him.  He has been compared to Anquan Boldin.  

First we look FA...as we analyze the draft.  As I have said in other threads:  Only the Colts know if Reggie will be back and ready!!!  That may be the deciding factor. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

Anquan Boldin 2.0? Where do I sign up?

Just because he's been compared doesn't mean he is. He could quite as easily be a Chad Jackson or Quincy Morgan. Every and mean every pick is a gamble so I'd rather improve the odds of the pick being a improvement to the roster by targeting a area of need or the BPA neither of which I can see being Matthews.

Another good blocking WR that runs great routes and that has played inside and outside and probably leads the nation in 3rd down catches is Jarvis Landry of LSU. At 6'0" and 195, he is definitely worth a look at the end of round 2, much like Reuben Randle that the Giants got.

It'd be hard to pass him up, depends on free agency like a lot of people are saying. We have some major needs on both lines that need to be shored up.

Just because he's been compared doesn't mean he is. He could quite as easily be a Chad Jackson or Quincy Morgan. Every and mean every pick is a gamble so I'd rather improve the odds of the pick being a improvement to the roster by targeting a area of need or the BPA neither of which I can see being Matthews.

No doubt...just pointing out the comparisons....he could end up the next DHB too....Drop one on me bro!  :)

No doubt...just pointing out the comparisons....he could end up the next DHB too....Drop one on me bro! :)

The forums couldn't take another DHB!

no ..... we need to draft DT/DE, ILB, CB, S. This draft and free agency should be focused on the defence. Snag a solid center from free agency and thats it. Andrew Luck can move that ball. We got dwayne allen, donald thomas, reggie wayne, vick ballard coming back... you can look at those guys as "pick ups" for the 2014 offence.

Yes we definitely should try to get him, but I don't think he will still be available with our late second round pick. So I think we should trade Greg Toler and our second round draft pick to the Jets for their second and third round draft picks. That way we could get and extra pick in the 3rd, we could draft another CB (like Jean-Baptiste for example) and a DT (Caraun Reid for example) in the third round. And move up ten spots in the 2nd round to have a better chance to draft Matthews.

Yes, definitely. If we draft him, it wouldn't be impossible to also draft Coleman, Jones, and Baptiste.(All three of whom dropped to lower rounds in my mock draft at http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/)

I just looked, and it makes me do a mock...was trying to look at YOUR mock.

Oh ok, I'll post my mock. Sorry about that.

This is what I got for the Colts on fanspeak:

ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL
OREGON

S KENNY LADLER
VANDERBILT

DT JAY BROMLEY
SYRACUSE

Here it is:

WR JORDAN MATTHEWS  59
VANDERBILT

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES     90
FLORIDA STATE

DT DEANDRE COLEMAN  154
CALIFORNIA

TRAI TURNER   187
LSU

CB RICARDO ALLEN  209
PURDUE

Baptiste was available in the third, but I took Jones ahead of him.

If the Colts draft Matthews (or any other WR for that matter) that means that they would have to A) carry 6 WR's for the season or B) cut either Whalen or Rogers. I think at this point that carrying 6 WR's is the better option of the two, but with that said I think it would be better to have a full off season with the guys they have now, and add WR's who are UDFA's. Maybe pick up a kid like Ball State's Willie Snead, Vanderbilt's Chris Boyd or Texas Tech's Eric Ward. I think all three of those guys have NFL potential and could be kept on the practice squad throughout the season. 

Oh ok, I'll post my mock. Sorry about that.

Not your fault...I thought the site would let you jump to the mocks and look at them.  :)

Yes, definitely. If we draft him, it wouldn't be impossible to also draft Coleman, Jones, and Baptiste.(All three of whom dropped to lower rounds in my mock draft at http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/)

Thanks for that site, it is a lot of fun. :)

Here is my full 7 round mock:

G GABE JACKSON
MISSISSIPPI STATE

CB JAYLEN WATKINS
FLORIDA
DT DEANDRE COLEMAN
CALIFORNIA
S TY ZIMMERMAN
KANSAS STATE
WR SHAQ EVANS
UCLA

Thanks for that site, it is a lot of fun. :)

No problem. It is a fun site, and it has a lot of talent dropping to later rounds(which is possible).

This is what I got for the Colts on fanspeak:

ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL
OREGON

S KENNY LADLER
VANDERBILT

DT JAY BROMLEY
SYRACUSE

I love the way Borland plays.  I have seen him game after game.  I do wish he was taller.

I love the Ladler selection.  This kid can play...and hit you.  He loves to play the game!!

Here it is:

WR JORDAN MATTHEWS  59
VANDERBILT

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES     90
FLORIDA STATE

DT DEANDRE COLEMAN  154
CALIFORNIA

TRAI TURNER   187
LSU

CB RICARDO ALLEN  209
PURDUE

Baptiste was available in the third, but I took Jones ahead of him.

I like a couple of these too.  With Matthews I personally feel you may have your number 1/2 receiver of the future...size does matter here.  I still think if Reggie is healthy we may go another route.

I think Turner is somewhat of an unknown.  Can we wait for him to develop?  He is still growing into his frame.  Started the season at 306...up to 316....

I really like Ricardo Allen.  Excellent corner on a bad defense.  I am not liking the 5'9 186 against some big receivers, but Allen sounds good in the 7th.  He plays bigger.

Thanks for sharing Chad and IndyScribe!!

No problem. It is a fun site, and it has a lot of talent dropping to later rounds(which is possible).

And some will be tough UFAs to pass up!!

I like a couple of these too.  With Matthews I personally feel you may have your number 1/2 receiver of the future...size does matter here.  I still think if Reggie is healthy we may go another route.

I think Turner is somewhat of an unknown.  Can we wait for him to develop?  He is still growing into his frame.  Started the season at 306...up to 316....

I really like Ricardo Allen.  Excellent corner on a bad defense.  I am not liking the 5'9 186 against some big receivers, but Allen sounds good in the 7th.  He plays bigger.

Thanks for sharing Chad and IndyScribe!!

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Jordan Matthews can replace Reggie(when he's gone) or another receiver if he outplays them and can be a future 1/2 WR. Turner we can wait for to turn out. Allen could turn out to be a steal in the 7th. If not, we got him pretty low so no damage done.

And some will be tough UFAs to pass up!!

Exactly. There are a ton of UFAs we can sign that would add depth or replace some players(a new kicker if Adam decides to retire.

I did the mock draft and got:

CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE

NEBRASKA

WR BRANDON COLEMAN

RUTGERS

C TYLER LARSEN

UTAH STATE

FB RYAN HEWITT

STANFORD

ILB AVERY WILLIAMSON

KENTUCKY

Matthews wasn't available in the second for me. 

If he was somehow still on the board it would be tough to pass on him, but we have other priorities. We should wait and find Reggie's replacement after next season. We need to draft a safety or a corner with our 2nd.

If he was somehow still on the board it would be tough to pass on him, but we have other priorities. We should wait and find Reggie's replacement after next season. We need to draft a safety or a corner with our 2nd.

Yeah you're probably right on the money

If Matthews lasts until our pick, I guarantee you he will be the BPA.