Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton v Brady Offensive Draft Strategy

IndyTrav

I am giving the people what they want. ANOTHER PEYTON/BRADY thread! HOORAY!

Someone had mentioned in another thread offensive weapons provided to each QB (among other things) and it got me wondering who was actually given what to work with, via the draft. 

I limited it to the first 3 rounds (i feel most of the talent is there, and also, Im lazy)...And I also started it once Peyton was drafted (no Glenn/Marv) and after Brady was finally the QB (2001), to see what each guy was given. 

The Patriots had a total of 47 draft picks in the first 3 rds from 01 to now....13 1st rd picks....19 2nd rd picks....15 3rd rd picks.

OL: Mankins/Light/Kackur/Vollmer/Sodler...5 total OL, but boy did they knock it out of the park. 

Skill Positions (RB/WR/TE): Graham/Branch/Johnson/Watson/Maroney/Jackson/Thomas/Tate/Gronk/Price/Vareen/Ridley/Dobson......for 13 total Skill position players.....and they really wiffed on these outside of Gronk. Acutally, its pretty abysmal. 

So NE used about 38% of there picks on offensive players while Brady has been QB. 10% on OL, 28% on Skill positions. 

The Colts had 41 draft picks from 99-2011 in the first 3 rounds....11 1st rd picks....14 2nd rd picks...16 3rd picks...

OL: Pollak/Ugoh/Castonzo/Iljana/Burlsworth... Again, 5 total OL...Talk about a stark contrast to NE...When Castonzo is arguably your best OL drafted, your in a world of hurt.

Skill Position: Edge/Wayne/Clark/Addai/Gonzo/Brown/Hartstock/Pathon/Green..9 total skill position players, and again in complete opposite of NE, hitting a few of these completely outta the park. 

So Indy used about 34% of there picks on Offensive Players while Peyton was the head honcho, 12% on OL, 22% on skill positions....

Talk about two near identical strategies, but two hitting two different targets.  

Defensively, Bill Parcells, wherever he has drafted players, has had a good eye for talent. If I am right, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinnest and T.Y.Law were all drafted by Bill Parcells. Plus, Bruschi was drafted by Pete Carroll if I am right.

Belichick added Mike Vrabel and Rodney Harrison via free agency (Harrison in 2003), and thus came the Patriots dynasty.

Gotta admit, Parcells and Pete Carroll do have an eye for talent.

Someone had mentioned in another thread offensive weapons provided to each QB (among other things) and it got me wondering who was actually given what to work with, via the draft.

I limited it to the first 3 rounds (i feel most of the talent is there, and also, Im lazy)...And I also started it once Peyton was drafted (no Glenn/Marv) and after Brady was finally the QB (2001), to see what each guy was given.

The Patriots had a total of 47 draft picks in the first 3 rds from 01 to now....13 1st rd picks....19 2nd rd picks....15 3rd rd picks.

OL: Mankins/Light/Kackur/Vollmer/Sodler...5 total OL, but boy did they knock it out of the park.

Skill Positions (RB/WR/TE): Graham/Branch/Johnson/Watson/Maroney/Jackson/Thomas/Tate/Gronk/Price/Vareen/Ridley/Dobson......for 13 total Skill position players.....and they really wiffed on these outside of Gronk. Acutally, its pretty abysmal.

So NE used about 38% of there picks on offensive players while Brady has been QB. 10% on OL, 28% on Skill positions.

The Colts had 41 draft picks from 99-2011 in the first 3 rounds....11 1st rd picks....14 2nd rd picks...16 3rd picks...

OL: Pollak/Ugoh/Castonzo/Iljana/Burlsworth... Again, 5 total OL...Talk about a stark contrast to NE...When Castonzo is arguably your best OL drafted, your in a world of hurt.

Skill Position: Edge/Wayne/Clark/Addai/Gonzo/Brown/Hartstock/Pathon/Green..9 total skill position players, and again in complete opposite of NE, hitting a few of these completely outta the park.

So Indy used about 34% of there picks on Offensive Players while Peyton was the head honcho, 12% on OL, 22% on skill positions....

Talk about two near identical strategies, but two hitting two different targets.

Pretty good talent at WRs for both. Like some argue saying Brady never had talent, all an excuse. His OL is the best for many years. Good wideouts, gone under utilized.

Look at Amendola this year. So much hype, 0 yards in an AFC championship game for your No.1 receiver.

No surprises here. The Pats strategy had always been to build the team from the lines out. Whereas the Colts under Polian was to build the team around Peyton. This is why Brady had the better teams in the early '00s and won his rings while Manning was putting up the big stats and winning MVPs.

No surprises here. The Pats strategy had always been to build the team from the lines out. Whereas the Colts under Polian was to build the team around Peyton. This is why Brady had the better teams in the early '00s and won his rings while Manning was putting up the big stats and winning MVPs.

Actually the post shows they drafted more skill positions in the first three rounds than the colts. Also the fact that Brady was making 6th round money and manning making first overall money had a lot to do with it as well. The pats haven't won a Superbowl since he signed his second contract

Pretty good talent at WRs for both. Like some argue saying Brady never had talent, all an excuse. His OL is the best for many years. Good wideouts, gone under utilized.

Look at Amendola this year. So much hype, 0 yards in an AFC championship game for your No.1 receiver.

I agree that Brady's OL is fantastic.(people forget Mannings OL was pretty good early on)...But I cant agree on Bradys WR, outside of 2 years, were anything but serviceable. In 13 years Brady has had 7 different receivers lead the team in yards....In Mannings 13 yr stretch, he had 3....Again, I think your understating Mannings quality options in order to prop him up...

Actually the post shows they drafted more skill positions in the first three rounds than the colts. Also the fact that Brady was making 6th round money and manning making first overall money had a lot to do with it as well. The pats haven't won a Superbowl since he signed his second contract

Did you see the difference in skill between who the Colts drafted and the Pats at the O skill positions?

Meh, the Pats have not won a SB for many reasons but Manning is carrying a hefty contract with Denver and is in position for a ring. So QB salaries can be managed. And Brady did not make a ton in his second contract. Only 10 mil compared to Manning's 14 a year.

Did you see the difference in skill between who the Colts drafted and the Pats at the O skill positions?

Meh, the Pats have not won a SB for many reasons but Manning is carrying a hefty contract with Denver and is in position for a ring. So QB salaries can be managed. And Brady did not make a ton in his second contract. Only 10 mil compared to Manning's 14 a year.

Yes the pats drafted more than the colts, but weren't as successful at doing so

I agree that Brady's OL is fantastic.(people forget Mannings OL was pretty good early on)...But I cant agree on Bradys WR, outside of 2 years, were anything but serviceable. In 13 years Brady has had 7 different receivers lead the team in yards....In Mannings 13 yr stretch, he had 3....Again, I think your understating Mannings quality options in order to prop him up...

Idea is not to prop him up, idea is how he raises the bar across the board especially his WRs. I am pretty sure if we swap the WRs, Manning would do just fine.

I also gave a recent example of Amendola. Don't tell me he is an average receiver.

Harrison and Wayne were not just home runs, they were Grand Slams.  Clark was a pro bowl caliber TE.  so who were the other wideouts over the 2000's?

*  means I think were real good      ~    means lots of untapped potential due to injury issues

Terrence Wilkins

Qadry Ismael

Trevor Insley

Jerome Pathon

Aaron morehead

Brad Pyatt

Brandon Stokley*

Troy Walters

Ricky Proehl

Devin Aromashadu

Anthony Gonzales~

Roy Hall

Craphonso Thorpe

Pierre Garçon*

Courtney Roby

Hank Baskett

Austin Collie~

Sam Giguere

Kenneth Moore

Tai Smith

Blair White

Manning made many of these serviceable despite Harrison, Wayne, and Clark in the lineup.

Idea is not to prop him up, idea is how he raises the bar across the board especially his WRs. I am pretty sure if we swap the WRs, Manning would do just fine.

I also gave a recent example of Amendola. Don't tell me he is an average receiver.

Amendola has averaged 50 catches a season over five seasons and 471 yards and 2 TDs. He is marginal at best. 

I dont know that you could say Amendola was/is anything more than average at best. I dont know what you think he has shown to prove to be anything more than that. Why do you think he is better than average?

I dont know that you could say Amendola was/is anything more than average at best. I dont know what you think he has shown to prove to be anything more than that. Why do you think he is better than average?

Are we saying he is a bust coz he was paid a lot of money.

I remember you posting way back saying Welker drops a lot.

Amendola is a better and younger version of Welker. Your words. Now he wasn't utilized and he is average.

Give him to Peyton, he will be another Decker.

Sorry, this post was at AMF

Harrison and Wayne were not just home runs, they were Grand Slams. Clark was a pro bowl caliber TE. so who were the other wideouts over the 2000's?

* means I think were real good ~ means lots of untapped potential due to injury issues

Terrence Wilkins

Qadry Ismael

Trevor Insley

Jerome Pathon

Aaron morehead

Brad Pyatt

Brandon Stokley*

Troy Walters

Ricky Proehl

Devin Aromashadu

Anthony Gonzales~

Roy Hall

Craphonso Thorpe

Pierre Garçon*

Courtney Roby

Hank Baskett

Austin Collie~

Sam Giguere

Kenneth Moore

Tai Smith

Blair White

Manning made many of these serviceable despite Harrison, Wayne, and Clark in the lineup.

Exactly

I dont know that he is anything but average. 

But it appears you dont feel the same way. What is it you think that makes him better than avg?

It is not just me, wasnt he the next Welker, a younger and better one?.

Please read this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317913/article/danny-amendola-could-be-cap-casualty-for-patriots

I feel like every WR failure in NE is blamed on the WR to cover up Brady or is that just your thought process.

If he is average not sure why he was paid 10 million guaranteed.

It is not just me, wasnt he the next Welker, a younger and better one?.

Please read this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317913/article/danny-amendola-could-be-cap-casualty-for-patriots

I feel like every WR failure in NE is blamed on the WR to cover up Brady or is that just your thought process.

If he is average not sure why he was paid 10 million guaranteed.

Sure, he was 'supposed' to be the next Welker, and he came in and severely under performed.  He's a guy who has been available to play all 16 games just once in his entire career. Never had a 700yd season, and never had more than 3 tds. He's not exactly lighting the world on fire. 

As for the $10. Thats really not that high. In the same FA class Jennings got $18 guaranteed, Wallace got $30, Hartline got $12.5....so of all the available FA WR (minus Cribbs) Amendola got the least amount...

It could be that every WR failure in NE is blamed on the WR, because maybe, just maybe, they really aren't that good....Not one has gone from NE and experienced success elsewhere, but Welker is arguable. 

Moss, Branch, Brown, Stallworth, Caldwell, Johnson, all left NE, and all were out of the league, or non factors on other teams. 

Sure, he was 'supposed' to be the next Welker, and he came in and severely under performed.  He's a guy who has been available to play all 16 games just once in his entire career. Never had a 700yd season, and never had more than 3 tds. He's not exactly lighting the world on fire. 

As for the $10. Thats really not that high. In the same FA class Jennings got $18 guaranteed, Wallace got $30, Hartline got $12.5....so of all the available FA WR (minus Cribbs) Amendola got the least amount...

It could be that every WR failure in NE is blamed on the WR, because maybe, just maybe, they really aren't that good....Not one has gone from NE and experienced success elsewhere, but Welker is arguable. 

Moss, Branch, Brown, Stallworth, Caldwell, Johnson, all left NE, and all were out of the league, or non factors on other teams. 

Well we agree to disagree, they all appear darn good receivers to me, if taught better.

I remember you posting way back saying Welker drops a lot.

Amendola is a better and younger version of Welker. Your words. Now he wasn't utilized and he is average.

Give him to Peyton, he will be another Decker.

Sorry, this post was at AMF

He would be a Decker in Denver's offense because of the plethora of weapons, but this year in the Pats offense he was basically the #1 or #2 guy..  He also tore his groin muscle clean off the bone early in the season, and didn't really even get back into the swing of things until beyond the half way point.  Amendola isn't a #1 quality receiver that can demand double teams and draw coverage away from others, hes just a serviceable guy that would have probably excelled if Hernandez didn't go to prison, Gronk didn't miss most of the year and if he didn't tear his groin muscle in like week 1.

He had a lot of potential and thats what the Pats paid him for, was his potential.  The injury hindered his progress greatly, as did the mass exodus of talent at offensive skill positions with A. Hern and Gronk, who were the young studs that the Patriots were building their future around.

Moss sucked after leaving the Pats

Branch completely disappeared off the face of the earth after having awesome production and a SB MVP with the Pats (was traded for a 1st round pick, too)

Troy Brown i don't think ever went anywhere else to play for anyone

Stallworth was a JAG journeyman after leaving the Pats, very very average receiver

Rache Caldwell (who was their #1 WR in 2006) i don't even think got another job after leaving the Patriots.. completely disappeared off the face of the earth

Bethel Johnson never did anything after leaving, nobody ever spoke his name again after he left.

David Givens was a super solid WR for the Pats and had an insane 3rd down conversion stat going.. he left for more money to the Titans and was out of the NFL within like 2-3 years.. Total dud after he left the Pats.. and he was getting commercials, etc with Branch and Brady before he left.  Bet he regrets that decision!

Plenty of examples of WRs having solid production and being noticed on the Pats and then moving on and disappearing into a black hole.

What about a "Manning" vs "Brady" thread?  When you say "Peyton" versus "Brady", how is that fair? 

Not sure what Elway was thinking other than trying to take him from the Pats when the Pats never wanted him to begin with hence the signing of Amendola within hours of Wes leaving. If anyone got duped, it was the Broncos. I would imagine Bill is doing a little dance right now

-amfootball

Harrison and Wayne were not just home runs, they were Grand Slams.  Clark was a pro bowl caliber TE.  so who were the other wideouts over the 2000's?
*  means I think were real good      ~    means lots of untapped potential due to injury issues

Terrence Wilkins
Qadry Ismael
Trevor Insley
Jerome Pathon
Aaron morehead
Brad Pyatt
Brandon Stokley*
Troy Walters
Ricky Proehl
Devin Aromashadu
Anthony Gonzales~
Roy Hall
Craphonso Thorpe
Pierre Garçon*
Courtney Roby
Hank Baskett
Austin Collie~
Sam Giguere
Kenneth Moore
Tai Smith
Blair White

yes but do you need WRs other than Harrison and Wayne? . . . if we step back from a moment and say that those two are top 10 WRs of their time/given year or top 5 for a given year then what more do you really need expect from there other areas . . . not many QBs are blessed with a great #1 and the colts offense had that for Manning's entire career and double up from 2003-2006 when both played on the team and avoided the injury bug . . . and with Clark provide solid support at TE and Faulk/James/Addai the same at the RB from 1998-2006, you have your best player Manning surrounded by top talent for the first 10 years of his career . . . and from at least two positions (one WR and RB) to as many as all four (two WRs, TE and RB) for 3-4 years in Manning's prime . . .

so I am not too worried about the role playing WR with this kind of line up . . . sure they will get their touches, but they are playing a role model role and are not being called upon to be the #1 WR and/or #2 . . .

For the most part Brady has had role model and a few solid WR and one stud Moss, but that was really only for 2007, B. Pollard took care of 2008 and in 2009 Brady was coming back from injury and then by 2010 Moss was on a train out of town . . . one big thing for me in this hold discussion was the missed 2008 and that easy schedule we had and we still had the components from the 2007 offense . . . that is a year I wish we did not miss Brady . . .

lmao you said he was better than Welker in the offseason

to be fair Welker had a lot of mileage on him, just look at the fact that he missed a few games at the end of the season . . . the goal was to have Amendola take the place of Welker and if Edelman resigned, which he did, to platoon with Amendola and Edelman . . .

regardless, just has we saw with the Manning V. Luck debate, this all boils down to not this year, but years 2-5 . . . if Welker does not play after next year or has a concussion riddle year next season the issue becomes years 2 or 2 thru 5, . . . . had Amendola signed elsewhere we would not have been left out in the cold to look for a slot WR . . .

its never an exact science . . . but one best guess and I do not mind how it turned out . . .

in response to other posters and as for the "production" to WR debate and who made who between QB and WR it has as much to do with the talent and opportunity of the players . . . just cause one player does not gain yards does not mean he has unrecognized potential wasted by the QB . . . indeed with the drop off in Welker's production between his time with Brady and Manning does not likely correlate on its own that Brady is that much better than Manning as he got that much more production from the same base reference point, Welker . . .

People near to realize that the "reduced" production is not 100% on Brady inability to make others better or that Manning ability to make role model players better . . .

yes but do you need WRs other than Harrison and Wayne? . . . if we step back from a moment and say that those two are top 10 WRs of their time/given year or top 5 for a given year then what more do you really need expect from there other areas . . . not many QBs are blessed with a great #1 and the colts offense had that for Manning's entire career and double up from 2003-2006 when both played on the team and avoided the injury bug . . . and with Clark provide solid support at TE and Faulk/James/Addai the same at the RB from 1998-2006, you have your best player Manning surrounded by top talent for the first 10 years of his career . . . and from at least two positions (one WR and RB) to as many as all four (two WRs, TE and RB) for 3-4 years in Manning's prime . . .

so I am not too worried about the role playing WR with this kind of line up . . . sure they will get their touches, but they are playing a role model role and are not being called upon to be the #1 WR and/or #2 . . .

For the most part Brady has had role model and a few solid WR and one stud Moss, but that was really only for 2007, B. Pollard took care of 2008 and in 2009 Brady was coming back from injury and then by 2010 Moss was on a train out of town . . . one big thing for me in this hold discussion was the missed 2008 and that easy schedule we had and we still had the components from the 2007 offense . . . that is a year I wish we did not miss Brady . . .

.I'll give you your point vs. most (not all, especially the Pat's) teams. (Manning is the greatest reg season QB, ever, maybe forever.)  Not against the Pat's.  BB always tried to take away Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Putting extra on role receivers and the RB.  But is was TE Bryan Fletcher (Mr. suggestion) that knew BB over committed to taking all of those guys out and asked Peyton for two plays in the famed AFC champ game on the last drive. 1st failed. Second was pivotal 32 yd. completion and made the Pat's D get honest again, freeing up Wayne some.  Then expecting pass, Harrison suggests Peyton call run... multiple times. TD, game over. 

Peyton's ability to listen and even trust those role players cemented his legacy by getting past BB/Brady and taking the Lombardi.

to be fair Welker had a lot of mileage on him, just look at the fact that he missed a few games at the end of the season . . . the goal was to have Amendola take the place of Welker and if Edelman resigned, which he did, to platoon with Amendola and Edelman . . .

regardless, just has we saw with the Manning V. Luck debate, this all boils down to not this year, but years 2-5 . . . if Welker does not play after next year or has a concussion riddle year next season the issue becomes years 2 or 2 thru 5, . . . . had Amendola signed elsewhere we would not have been left out in the cold to look for a slot WR . . .

its never an exact science . . . but one best guess and I do not mind how it turned out . . .

in response to other posters and as for the "production" to WR debate and who made who between QB and WR it has as much to do with the talent and opportunity of the players . . . just cause one player does not gain yards does not mean he has unrecognized potential wasted by the QB . . . indeed with the drop off in Welker's production between his time with Brady and Manning does not likely correlate on its own that Brady is that much better than Manning as he got that much more production from the same base reference point, Welker . . .

People near to realize that the "reduced" production is not 100% on Brady inability to make others better or that Manning ability to make role model players better . . .

That is a great point. It is like saying the Colts made a mistake taking Luck when Manning is in the SB and of course same holds true for Pats as Welker is in SB too. But the remaining four years are key as I am not even sure Denver picks up the option on Welker as his production did drop this year due to age and injury. Amendola in fairness was not operating in a very potent offense given that Hernandez was gone and Gronk only played six games. We will see how the next four years play out and of course the next 10+ for Luck and the Colts.

.I'll give you your point vs. most (not all, especially the Pat's) teams. (Manning is the greatest reg season QB, ever, maybe forever.)  Not against the Pat's.  BB always tried to take away Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Putting extra on role receivers and the RB.  But is was TE Bryan Fletcher (Mr. suggestion) that knew BB over committed to taking all of those guys out and asked Peyton for two plays in the famed AFC champ game on the last drive. 1st failed. Second was pivotal 32 yd. completion and made the Pat's D get honest again, freeing up Wayne some.  Then expecting pass, Harrison suggests Peyton call run... multiple times. TD, game over. 

Peyton's ability to listen and even trust those role players cemented his legacy by getting past BB/Brady and taking the Lombardi.

great story . . . yes it is always nice to see when a QB will listen to his teammates, especially not the top ones . . . thanks for sharing . . .

That is a great point. It is like saying the Colts made a mistake taking Luck when Manning is in the SB and of course same holds true for Pats as Welker is in SB too. But the remaining four years are key as I am not even sure Denver picks up the option on Welker as his production did drop this year due to age and injury. Amendola in fairness was not operating in a very potent offense given that Hernandez was gone and Gronk only played six games. We will see how the next four years play out and of course the next 10+ for Luck and the Colts.

excellent point, with Hernandez and Gronk gone (most of the year) combined with Amendola being hurt it was not an ideal year for him to get "numbers" . . . we will see how the following years will bring him . . .  sometimes production is related to how much pressure your teammates take off you . . .

excellent point, with Hernandez and Gronk gone (most of the year) combined with Amendola being hurt it was not an ideal year for him to get "numbers" . . . we will see how the following years will bring him . . .  sometimes production is related to how much pressure your teammates take off you . . .

And even with all that he put up his second best season of his career. His best was when he played all 16 games in his second season with the Rams. He had 85 catches for 689 yrds and 3 TDs. This season he had 54 catches for 633 yrds and 2 Tds but only started 12 games. Had he played all 16 he would have most likely eclipsed his best season even with the lack of weapons around him.

Edit - he had 63 catches in his fourth season so technically it was his third best.

And even with all that he put up his second best season of his career. His best was when he played all 16 games in his second season with the Rams. He had 85 catches for 689 yrds and 3 TDs. This season he had 54 catches for 633 yrds and 2 Tds but only started 12 games. Had he played all 16 he would have most likely eclipsed his best season even with the lack of weapons around him.

Edit - he had 63 catches in his fourth season so technically it was his third best.

good point . . . a lot of the talking head around here who do not like Amendola, do not mentioned this . . . so far Amedola has not dropped off from his prior production . . . in that he has given us 12 games of support WRing . . . indeed, Deion Branch was oft injured and only played 12-15 games per season in his prime . . .

Not really sure what the point of this is? Fact is the reason NE could draft or want to go after those skilled players was because they had so many pro bowlers/starters set on defense and OL. When you HIT or have that many players locked in you have no need to draft another safety to sit behind Harrison or another LB to sit behind the plethera of HOF LBs they had. The difference I see is that the Colts CONTINUED to target play makers even after HITTING jackpots on Wayne and Harrison....when Peyton has shown he could make do just as easily with less....turning Garcon and Collie into a pro bowl caliber and top slot caliber reciever. Teams will continue to take shots at the same positions over and over if they feel they have a hole there...or needs upgraded. Fact is the Colts didn't have holes in the receiving core and backfield yet continued to draft there when they would have probably got more bang for their money looking at upgrading defense and OL more than skilled players. Again...Peyton and Tom both get more out of avg skilled position players than anyone...but I understand why NE went after skilled guys more so than why we did it because they didn't hit on them...but us...we hit..and yet we still kept trying to add...when we could have filled in with guys later in the draft like Garcon and Collie.

As for Amendola...I would be very surprised if he is on the team next year. NFL.COM had an article and it wouldn't be much a cap hit for NE to cut him and move on...they have bigger needs to address and little space to do it.

Not really sure what the point of this is? Fact is the reason NE could draft or want to go after those skilled players was because they had so many pro bowlers/starters set on defense and OL. When you HIT or have that many players locked in you have no need to draft another safety to sit behind Harrison or another LB to sit behind the plethera of HOF LBs they had. The difference I see is that the Colts CONTINUED to target play makers even after HITTING jackpots on Wayne and Harrison....when Peyton has shown he could make do just as easily with less....turning Garcon and Collie into a pro bowl caliber and top slot caliber reciever. Teams will continue to take shots at the same positions over and over if they feel they have a hole there...or needs upgraded. Fact is the Colts didn't have holes in the receiving core and backfield yet continued to draft there when they would have probably got more bang for their money looking at upgrading defense and OL more than skilled players. Again...Peyton and Tom both get more out of avg skilled position players than anyone...but I understand why NE went after skilled guys more so than why we did it because they didn't hit on them...but us...we hit..and yet we still kept trying to add...when we could have filled in with guys later in the draft like Garcon and Collie.

As for Amendola...I would be very surprised if he is on the team next year. NFL.COM had an article and it wouldn't be much a cap hit for NE to cut him and move on...they have bigger needs to address and little space to do it.

To the bolded, I would be surprised to see the Pats move on from him unless they see Edelman as his replacement. Amendola is not breaking the bank at $6 mil a year but if the Pats have their eyes on a top notch offensive weapon for Brady then I can see them letting him go. I have to think they will add a quality TE maybe two and another vet WR at least as Dobson was the only young WR to really break out from the group of young guys.