Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Position 'Needs'

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which Positions Do We Have A 'Need' At?

• Cornerback
    • Defensive Line
    • Interior Linebacker
    • Interior Offensive Line
    • Outside Linebacker / Edge Rusher
    • Offensive Tackle
    • Quarterback
    • Running Back
    • Safety
    • Tight End
    • Wide Reciever

I voted for CB purely because as of right now Greg Toler would be our number 1. Resign Vontae and there isn't much of a problem. Although I could see us dropping either Gordy or Vaughn and picking up someone in the draft. I doubt they will go anywhere if we plan on not drafting one, they are decent.

Interior OL: I hate calling for people to be gone but honestly Satele doesn't seem to get it done on a regular basis. 

Safety: Obviously if we don't resign Bethea than we will need to pick one up.

Also put RB because right now we just have Trich and Ballard. After that it is Rainey, Choice (who will be like 30), and Herron. Mostly stopgaps unless they are high on Herron or something. 

DL because our runstopping kinda sucks, but I dont know who I would replace. 

ILB - have to get someone to help Freeman

CB - Greg Toler has had injury problems all his career. I don't want to put our pass D in jepordy cause he can't stay healthy. I'm a part of the group that think we should cut him and use his money on a more reliable option

Interior OL - ours is garbage and we need to fix this now. I'm tired of seeing our franchise QB run for his life

In order of most important:

1) Interior offensive line (Surprise?) 

2) Wide receiver (I don't know if I can deal without Wayne again)

3) Cornerback (#1 priority is to re-sign Davis, I don't trust Toler in being fully healthy again)

4) Inside linebacker (Angerer and Conner are free agents. Doubt they both get re-signed)

5) Defensive end (RJF was a big disappointment this season. Redding can't play forever.)

Order of importance IMO is...

1. Interior O-line.

2. ILBer

3. Safety

4. D-line

5. CB - this is of course higher if Davis isn't re-signed but thats highly unlikely IMO.

After that, most of everything else is just depth. Im not in the least bit concerned about TE, WR, RB, QB, or OT.

Order of importance IMO is...

1. Interior O-line.

2. ILBer

3. Safety

4. D-line

5. CB - this is of course higher if Davis isn't re-signed but thats highly unlikely IMO.

After that, most of everything else is just depth. Im not in the least bit concerned about TE, WR, RB, QB, or OT.

I would switch your top 2, but leave it if Thomas was not ready.

Positions of need...

1st - Interior O line.  We absolutely must have a Center to replace Satele.  I don't know if Holmes is ready to step in or not.  I'm on the bandwagon with everyone else in hoping that Mack would turn up in an Indy uniform but honestly I just do not see it happening.  The more likely scenario IMO (if Satele ends up sent packing this year) is that we see Holmes playing Center in 2014.  I'd also be happy to see either Dietrich-Smith or De La Puente @ Center.  In addition, I believe we have a  need at RG.  I'd like to see this spot filled by Geoff Schwartz out of Kansas City. 

2nd - Defensive Line.  Redding is decent but not getting any younger, and quite honestly RJF & Franklin did not really impress me along the Defensive front.  While Franklin is the much more cap friendly of the two, I'm still totally shaking my head @ RJF pulling 4 yrs 22 million with 6.5 million guaranteed producing 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 TFL & 2 PD's for a season.  In contrast, Redding is making less money than RJF and produced nearly twice as much in every single category and is 6 yrs older.   The only thing I can say is C'mon man!  

3rd - Linebacker.  I'm a firm believer in the fact that you absolutely must get pressure on opposing QB's and penetration on running plays to disrupt an offense.  In looking over the 2013 statistics, the Defense combined for 42 total QB sacks.  Mathis, Redding & Freeman accounted for 29.5 of the total sacks by the Defense.  12.5 sacks for the rest of the Defense in an entire season is horrific in my opinion. 

I read somewhere that the coaching staff wants to give McNary a chance to start @ ILB opposite Freeman.  This Defense needs a pass rusher coming off the edge to pair up with Mathis.  Maybe its Werner coming from the other LB or  maybe its generating more pressure from the Defensive Line, who knows at this point.  All I know is 3 Defensive players being responsible for nearly 30 of your 42 total sacks speaks volumes about the lack of a pass rush on this Defense.

4th- Safety.  I don't really see Bethea sticking around town.  Sometimes you just have to let players go that don't fit your scheme any longer.  I loved Bethea in our old system but it's a new day and a new team.  I don't see him signing a new deal that is going to offer the type of discount that would be equal to the level of play he's been giving lately.  We need a safety who can cover some ground and play center field. 

5th- Cornerback.  Even if Vontae Davis is resigned, for me Toler just is not the answer to play opposite of him.  Toler is decent in coverage but it doesn't matter how good he is if he's watching opposing WR's run routes from the bench due to yet another injury.  If it were me, I'd thank him for trying to hand Toler his suitcase.