Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Do We Decide If A Coach Is Good Or Bad?

dn4192

Poor tackling and LOTS of "such".....

So it's the coaches fault because player X can't make a clean tackle? I could see it being the coaches fault if the players are not in the position to make the tackle, but when it comes to making the tackle it's on the coaches.

So it's the coaches fault because player X can't make a clean tackle? I could see it being the coaches fault if the players are not in the position to make the tackle, but when it comes to making the tackle it's on the coaches.

Poor discipline....This is sooooo easy.

Edited by BIGugly

So in his first season with a full and basically healthy roster the team goes 14-2 and to the superbowl. In his second season with key injuries to a number of key personal they still win the division and make it to the playoffs. And now with the team missing again a number of key players due to injuries and missing your starting QB who is the key to your whole teams approach of how they play isn't playing and he is 0-7. So...there is no question that when the talent is there the Colts win and he is the coach, so shouldn't he be allowed to coach again next season?

no

It's either the coachs fault for not working on fundamentals, or the front offices fault for drafting/signing someone who can't tackle.

And of course the player's fault as well, but that's a given.

What I see are young players who make bad decisions which young players do, I see poor tackling and such. What are U seeing?

Give a bad coach a bad hand, and he goes 0-16. Enter stage right....the Polians. I cannot believe we are debating coaching skills on here. Why? Caldwell is a bust on the scale of Jerry Hughes squared.

Give a bad coach a bad hand, and he goes 0-16. Enter stage right....the Polians. I cannot believe we are debating coaching skills on here. Why? Caldwell is a bust on the scale of Jerry Hughes squared.

A bust? How many bust coaches have their teams in teh playoffs his first two seasons? Is he a great coach...probably not but this view that he is a bust is unfounded with no support.

It's either the coachs fault for not working on fundamentals, or the front offices fault for drafting/signing someone who can't tackle.

And of course the player's fault as well, but that's a given.

How many times in the NFL do you see players, even good ones make bad plays? I mean watching the Ravens/Jag game the other night and watching the Jags running all over a very good Ravens D you have to ask...do the Ravens coaches not know how to coach? What about the TN coaches this past weekend where at home they gave up 41 to the Texans and people say they gave up on thier coaches....

Manning. Stop ignoring the facts. 2011. Work it out.

Facts are he is the coach and during his tenure his team went to a superbowl and two playoff appearances. Yes in great part to Manning, but there isn't a coach alive or dead could do much with the present structure of this team this season.

barry switzer

Switzer was actually a successful college coach. Caldwell was 26–63 with one victory in the famed and prestigious Aloha Bowl. So he's actually got less going for him then Switzer did when he got canned/"resigned". Also, Switzer won his Super Bowl.

All of these reasons are good reasons to evaluate a coach, both positivley and negativley. Why do these threads keep popping up, and when the forum members reply, they are continually questioned? People are stating opinions, and they are greeted with more questions regarding their opinion, the main one being "So?" Asked and answered. This is how people evaluate the coach.

All of these reasons are good reasons to evaluate a coach, both positivley and negativley. Why do these threads keep popping up, and when the forum members reply, they are continually questioned? People are stating opinions, and they are greeted with more questions regarding their opinion, the main one being "So?" Asked and answered. This is how people evaluate the coach.

Some people post to share opinions and have discussion. Others post just to wait for someone who disagrees so they can say "nuh uh".

:)

The debate is on if Jim Caldwell is a good coach or not. So how do we decide? I mean was Phil Jackson of the NBA a great coach or just lucky to have 3-4 of the greates players to ever suit up in the NBA on this team?

What about Bill B. in NE? He couldn't do anything in Cleveland but comes to NE, gets good/great talent around him and wins 3 SB in like 4-5 seasons, but hasn't won one in while, even in the season he team went undefeated until the SB and was beaten by Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants, a team they had already beaten in teh regular season.

You look at Joe Torre in MLB, managed a number of different teams to nothing special, goes to the Yankees with all their talent and money and wins a handful of WS titles, then goes to the Dodges and does basically nothing.

How much impact does the coach have? Do NFL coaches have more impact on the outcome of a game over say a MLB manager or NBA manager? Jimmy Johnson was great in Dallas because he was a great coach, or because due to sucking so much before he got there and the incredible Walker trade made some incredible draft picks and those players got Dallas on top?

I personally think it's not easy to determine any coaches ability over a short time period. I think a number of things go into how good coaches are....what do others think?

I own along with my family a consulting firm, we are based in Houston Tx.

What we do is work with these management groups to make them work like real teams,we coach them to work towards results while developing their talents and training them in decision making,effectiveness, teamwork and many other things, so, basically, we, as coaches, make groups of people work toward the common goal with their individualism and talent.

That's a coach, a guy who has the ability to:

Find talent, explodethat talent individually and put it to work for the benefit of the whole TEAM not group, but TEAM.

Keep your TEAM focused, through the good and the bad and especially convince these people that you can lead them to their individual and more importantly, collective achievements.

You are a manager of people,we keep talking about schemesand stretegy, you can leave that to the coordinators.

Our mojo is "A manager is a person whoknows how to DO through others" surround yourself with talent and manage people.

I believe that is a Coach, a people manager, an ego manager, a self esteem manager... x's and o's are cool, but you have to be able to keep people on the right track.

edit: this sounded like publicity, it isn't really, but you can contact me if you need our services just kidding, but not really.

Edited by Mexicolt

great topic DN

The key factor is how the players respond and their demeanor on and off the field.

If you take Caldwell for example, the year we went to teh Super Bowl under him, our players played their hearts out that season. Now the question is were they doing it for our coach or were they doing it for Manning?

This year our leader is out. The players are not responding the same way. Is Caldwell really doing anything differently? I really don't think he is.

I think players that are leaders on a team are just as important as any coach is. You are talking about Phil Jackson. He had Jordan/Pippen and then Kobe/Shaq, these players have enough influence to motivate a team. This can greatly overshadow Phil's credentials.

Torre is a genuis. In baseball you can have the highest payroll and lose every year. You can have the best star players and fail to make playoffs. Many teams with high payrolls do not do well. Joe Torre had the players respect in NY and that's why he won. Maybe in LA the players see him differently.

In my opinion Bellichek can make playoffs with the state of our team right now. He will find a way to make playoffs without Manning. Bellicheck is a regime and a tradition.

As far as impact goes, in any sport, players make more impact than coaches do. It's the players that play. It is all about bonds formed. In NFL a strong defensive unit and a great football tradition will pass on from one coach to another. Take Baltimore for example, they feed from Lewis/Reed tandem, no matter who theri coach is they will always play great D and they will always make playoffs while those two are on that team. Look at Pittsburgh, they been playing great defense for decades and winning SB's no matter what coach was there.

Same with the offense. Cohesiveness on the O-line and the ability of the entire Offense to click and feed off of eachother. This happens with great player leaders and trust amongst the players.

Not at all, this is his best asset, he controlls this dressing rooms filled with egos and talent, that is the hardest thing to do, having talent is half of it, you have to be able to convince these people to work in favor of the team, t's so easy to lose the players, Coaches are psycologists, not strategists, I dareanyone to coach a team with sooo many stars, hall of famers, egomaniacs, it's so hard to doQ

The debate is on if Jim Caldwell is a good coach or not. So how do we decide? I mean was Phil Jackson of the NBA a great coach or just lucky to have 3-4 of the greates players to ever suit up in the NBA on this team?

What about Bill B. in NE? He couldn't do anything in Cleveland but comes to NE, gets good/great talent around him and wins 3 SB in like 4-5 seasons, but hasn't won one in while, even in the season he team went undefeated until the SB and was beaten by Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants, a team they had already beaten in teh regular season.

You look at Joe Torre in MLB, managed a number of different teams to nothing special, goes to the Yankees with all their talent and money and wins a handful of WS titles, then goes to the Dodges and does basically nothing.

How much impact does the coach have? Do NFL coaches have more impact on the outcome of a game over say a MLB manager or NBA manager? Jimmy Johnson was great in Dallas because he was a great coach, or because due to sucking so much before he got there and the incredible Walker trade made some incredible draft picks and those players got Dallas on top?

I personally think it's not easy to determine any coaches ability over a short time period. I think a number of things go into how good coaches are....what do others think?

Willingness to take ownership and responsibility. Ability to motivate and direct a team to victory (yet to be seen this season). It's no secret that I like Caldwell. He's a great man and I do believe that the players like and respect him. However, I'm not convinced that he's the right man for this job. Let's see what happens on Sunday. If we put it to the Titans and manage to go .500 for the season, would we concede that Caldwell played a role in turning things around? Would it be too little too late? Do we even want to go .500 at this point in the season?

Lots of questions. I'm just not sure!