Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos asked to play Sunday afternoon

oldunclemark

....from the Denver Post sports 'Mailbag'

Can you explain to me why the Broncos are slotted to play the late Sunday game on Jan. 12? The No. 1 seed should be given the Saturday afternoon game, in my opinion. That way, when the Broncos win, it would allow for an extra day to prepare for the AFC Championship game (against New England). Now, if the Patriots win, they get to study tape Sunday morning and then sit back and scout the Broncos on Sunday afternoon. Your thoughts? Explanation?
--Dan, New Jersey

The Broncos as the No. 1 seed communicated to the league and networks a preference to play on Sunday during their usual, mid-afternoon kickoff slot. They did not want to play Saturday night because the networks had already forced their fans to attend six home night games this year, counting the two in preseason.

Another night game in January should be avoided in Denver, if possible. Also, the Sunday mid-afternoon start is closer to the Broncos' usual schedule, at least when the networks don't get involved. The thinking is a team has a better chance at approaching peak performance when playing on a regular schedule, rather than an irregular schedule.

The Broncos played on Saturday last year and it didn't work out too well. Given a choice, the Broncos understandably didn't want to play on Saturday night again this year.

Pats beat Chargers on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2006, Giants beat Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2007, Jets beat Chargers on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2009, so the time slot does not matter for lower seeds or higher seeds, IMO.

Last year, the AFCCG was on a Sunday night between Ravens and Pats, this year it will be Sunday afternoon around the 3:00 p.m. ET time slot since NFCCG will be a night game by taking turns.

Its significantly warmer during the day in Denver...always...

I'm not sure why but the temperature drops dramatically after sunset.....more than in most places../.....

Daytime highs can be in the 40sa and nighttime lows in the teens 

...the average daytime high in Denver in february is in the upper 30s

...I very much understand why Denver wants to play in the afternoon sun..after last year 7-degree playoff frost-fest

Obviously the Broncos are scared to play at night because of the cold weather most likely and their loss last year. lol. Superstitious anyone?

I am surprised actually that the league granted it as usually the top team gets the prime spot on Saturday night for the divisional. I am psyched the Pats got it as it does give them an extra day off to rest and prepare should they win and of course frigid temps are the Pats friend.

Obviously the Broncos are scared to play at night because of the cold weather most likely and their loss last year. lol. Superstitious anyone?

I am surprised actually that the league granted it as usually the top team gets the prime spot on Saturday night for the divisional. I am psyched the Pats got it as it does give them an extra day off to rest and prepare should they win and of course frigid temps are the Pats friend.

In February..... passing teams want to play during the day...

Much easier to beat New England in the daylight in Denver than during the night time in Boston..

Good move by the Broncos

In February..... passing teams want to play during the day...

Much easier to beat New England in the daylight in Denver than during the night time in Boston..

Good move by the Broncos

I thought this was the divisional not the AFCCG? And they wouldn't play in Boston anyways as Denver has home field.

Now the Pats can get some extra spy filming done now!!! Heee!!! Heee!!! Just kidding????  :funny:  :lol:  :scratch:  :dunno:  :thinking: I think???

Can you explain to me why the Broncos are slotted to play the late Sunday game on Jan. 12? The No. 1 seed should be given the Saturday afternoon game, in my opinion. That way, when the Broncos win, it would allow for an extra day to prepare for the AFC Championship game (against New England). Now, if the Patriots win, they get to study tape Sunday morning and then sit back and scout the Broncos on Sunday afternoon. Your thoughts? Explanation?

--Dan, New Jersey

The Broncos as the No. 1 seed communicated to the league and networks a preference to play on Sunday during their usual, mid-afternoon kickoff slot. They did not want to play Saturday night because the networks had already forced their fans to attend six home night games this year, counting the two in preseason.

Another night game in January should be avoided in Denver, if possible. Also, the Sunday mid-afternoon start is closer to the Broncos' usual schedule, at least when the networks don't get involved. The thinking is a team has a better chance at approaching peak performance when playing on a regular schedule, rather than an irregular schedule.

The Broncos played on Saturday last year and it didn't work out too well. Given a choice, the Broncos understandably didn't want to play on Saturday night again this year.

It did' nt work out well  ?  Champ Baily  & the Broncos  choked  coachs & players .  

Tim Tebow won his first playoff game as a Bronco in his first season & Peyton Manning did'nt ' Now that is funny " . 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8839423/nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-choked-historic-fashion-baltimore-ravenshttp://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8839423/nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-choked-historic-fashion-baltimore-ravens

I thought this was the divisional not the AFCCG? And they wouldn't play in Boston anyways as Denver has home field.

But Denver lost at night in Boston this year....was my point...

The Broncos ran a 'game' on the rest of the field here.....

They'll play in the late afternoon in 45-50 degree temps when they'll be tough to beat.

,..and looking ahead...If Seattle hosts the NFC title game, which is likely.....that would have to be the LATE game

You cant play at 10:30 a.am. in Seattle so it would be 1:30 EST.... Host Seattle will play late

So Denver will likely play early if they reach the AFC title game as well......again in warmer temps.

......Bottom line: It wont be 7 degrees for the playoff game this time....super cold helps the defense and Denver...is No.1 on offense

The Broncos just pulled a fast one on the rest of the AFC/./

Yes, it was at 2:30 p.m. MT on Saturday. It was not the night game so not sure what this writer is talking about.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/9/3855840/2013-nfl-playoffs-broncos-vs-ravens-game-notes

The wrietr is talking about playing on Sunday.

The Broncos asked to play Sunday afrernoon as opposed to Saturday night......much better for them

Pats beat Chargers on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2006, Giants beat Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2007, Jets beat Chargers on a Sunday afternoon in this same time slot in 2009, so the time slot does not matter for lower seeds or higher seeds, IMO.

Add two more.....

Giants in 2011 also beat the Packers in this time slot. Same as the Jets beating the Patriots in 2010 in this time slot.

This has been known in recent years as "the biggest upset time slot" of divisional weekend if you are superstitious about this stuff.

I would laugh if both of the top two seeds lose in their first playoff game.

Wouldn't be surprised if all 4 of them did:

Panthers: barely win all their games. Have no playoff experience whatsoever.

Patriots: half the squad is rookies.

Denver: defense is bad

Seahawks: been lagging it the last few weeks..

Wouldn't be surprised if all 4 of them did:

Panthers: barely win all their games. Have no playoff experience whatsoever.

Patriots: half the squad is rookies.

Denver: defense is bad

Seahawks: been lagging it the last few weeks..

Not to mention that in recent history; 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 all featured the SB champions playing on WILDCARD WEEKEND.

And in 2008 the 9-7 Cardinals came VERY very close......

It's not gimmie anymore that having a bye week improves your chances to win it all. Saints/Colts in 2009 was rather odd too based on how rarely we seem to get #1 vs. #1 seeded SB's as well.

With Peyton being such a creature of habit, he probably prefers to stick to play on a Sunday IMO. Although this time slot makes me want to play Denver more if we beat KC since we would get an extra day to prepare. And yes I know about the thin air......

So if we win this weekend and draw NE we will end up going to a place on a short week where there will be rabid insanely drunk and cold Boston fans throwing things at us AT NIGHT. (j/k)

If anything I think NE won this decision. Boston at night can be rowdy. On the flip side though their fans can be spoiled if the game is not going their way and quiet down more IMO.

Overall conclusion: Playing in NE or Denver is a pain in the butt so before I can think about the "big two" I guess we all have to get through this weekend and hope we actually win.

--Dan, New Jersey

It would have been in the 40s next Saturday night in Denver.

AM I wouldnt use the word scarred, just makes sense, but see it as u see fit and if u r happy just leave it at that

From what Mark wrote apparently # 1 seed has that right to ask, 

The advantage of Sat Night is it gives an extra day rest  as u noted

Anyway this is it for me today , everyone enjoy the weekend

also Scheduled   time slots are noted in  Eastern time ,

so Denver time is 2 hrs earlier  ., so Siunday will be around 2:30 -3 start for them 

FX  

sat  & Sunday weather next week from 1 web site , all sites vary a bit weather --  & of course by then weather can change

SATURDAY

Day Jan 11  
Chance of Rain: 0% wind  8
32.png

48°FHigh

Sunny

Chance of Rain: 0% Wind: WSW at 8 mph Humidity: 48%
UV Index: 2 - Low Sunrise: 7:21 am Moonrise: 1:42 pm Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

------------------------------------------------
  • Collapse Details
Night   
Chance of Rain: 0% wind  9
29.png

32°Low

Partly Cloudy

Chance of Rain: 0% Wind: WSW at 9 mph Humidity: 51%

UV Index: 0 - Low Sunset: 4:56 pm Moonset: 4:20 am Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous    

==========================================================================

SUNDAY WEATHER  http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail9/USCO0105

Day Jan 12    
Chance of Rain: 10% wind  9
28.png

48°FHigh

Mostly Cloudy

Chance of Rain: 10% Wind: W at 9 mph Humidity: 46%
UV Index: 2 - Low Sunrise: 7:20 am Moonrise: 2:26 pm Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous
---------------------------------
  • Collapse Details
Night  
Chance of Rain: 10% wind  7
29.png

29°Low

Clouds Early / Clearing Late

Chance of Rain: 10% Wind: W at 7 mph Humidity: 57%
UV Index: 0 - Low Sunset: 4:57 pm Moonset: 5:10 am Moonphase: Waxing Gibbous

Denver is already in their own heads

My thought exactly.

A bye week already throws you out of your normal routine anyways so not sure sat or sun matters. It does matter for the WC winner if they play on Sunday and then have to come to Foxboro the following Saturday as that is one day less rest and right now Cincy is playing Sunday WC weekend and the likely opponent for the Pats so that is another advantage for the home team playing Sat.

Of course 40's. lol. And for sure some unforeseen blizzard will roll up on Sunday. ;)

We are getting a blizzard here today in Boston. Started yesterday and went all night.

Yea, most of us on the East Coast are getting hit by that storm. But of course Pittsburgh gets about 4 inches while my hometown got like 16+ inches.

Of course 40's. lol. And for sure some unforeseen blizzard will roll up on Sunday. ;)

We are getting a blizzard here today in Boston. Started yesterday and went all night.

Anything in the 30's and 40's and well there would be no excuse for Denver in those temps. But, to be honest if we should win and go to Denver/NE ourselves I would welcome a game around those temps too. I am all for some cold weather games but there is a difference between cold and ZOMG MY FACE IS GONNA FALL OFF COLD. You know like what we may see in GB Sunday might be ridiculous. :)

Still should be interesting to see what the Super Bowl temps are in the end and if it snows.....the east coast seems to be hammered too much for me to have faith in a "good weather" Super Bowl right now.

If NE gets an advantage it will be if they play Cincy who would lose a day. Granted you both played already this year but it still makes it tougher for them. However, I already felt SD was at a disadvantage in a way too going into Sunday with the game starting early and being a west coast team.

We over analyze a lot of this that's for sure!!!

Ravens beat Denver on a short week, they played Sunday afternoon and beat the Broncos on a short week on a Saturday afternoon. They did the same to the Titans on a short week in 2008.

Good teams with veteran presence and good coaching preparation will travel well, it does not matter if it is a short week or long week.

Ravens beat Denver on a short week, they played Sunday afternoon and beat the Broncos on a short week on a Saturday afternoon. They did the same to the Titans on a short week in 2008.

Good teams with veteran presence and good coaching preparation will travel well, it does not matter if it is a short week or long week.

Stop making sense.

I am trying to over analyze stuff. :)

Good teams with few nagging injuries can play on short week...

Itrs not about coaching..its about injuries...

Guest TeamLoloJones

I didnt think much of this, until right now. 

SF has to play @ Car at 9am SF time. That is ridiculous to me. A West Coast team shouldnt be at a disadvantage time wise during the playoffs IMO

They lose the right to complain when they finished the regular season as a lower seed.

I didnt think much of this, until right now. 

SF has to play @ Car at 9am SF time. That is ridiculous to me. A West Coast team shouldnt be at a disadvantage time wise during the playoffs IMO

Trav..I think all NFL teams practice in the morning...

.....its the cross west coast teams all have to bear..playing early

but I don't think it bothers them

They lose the right to complain when they finished the regular season as a lower seed.

Completely disagree. Teams get a homefield advantage based on seeding. They shouldn't be allowed a time advantage as well. Not when it can be accommodated. They generally split trips in the regular season as fairly as they can, but in the playoffs, when there are only 2 games, there should be no reason to not schedule games appropriately and as fairly as possible. Car doesn't lose HF advantage if they play at a reasonable time. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Completely disagree. Teams get a homefield advantage based on seeding. They shouldn't be allowed a time advantage as well. Not when it can be accommodated. They generally split trips in the regular season as fairly as they can, but in the playoffs, when there are only 2 games, there should be no reason to not schedule games appropriately and as fairly as possible. Car doesn't lose HF advantage if they play at a reasonable time. 

Every single team controls it's own destiny in playoff seeding during the entirety of the regular season.  You don't get the #1 seed in your conference, you don't get to complain about scheduling, period.

Yes, it is a disadvantage to West Coast teams, but it is a known disadvantage.  You play WC you have to learn to deal with that issue... period.

Our team practices at 7 AM for a reason.  I don't know our early east coast game record this year but I'm fairly certain it was really good.  The worst game we had was the crazy 8:30 PM (Pacific time) start at the Raiders.  We were totally thrown off by it, while they weren't.

I had to laugh at the comments about how Peyton Manning had a short week last time he played the Chargers and they lost - at home.  We had a short week too AND we traveled to Denver on top of a short week.  

No excuses.